Jump to content
DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

 

Message added by PJTierney

Recommended Posts

Areyouben said:
#NoYourStageNoBuy? :D I'm sure they have worked on the tech but maybe they haven't been able to improve the Your Stage tech enough to make the step in quality the community asked for after D4?
My thoughts exactly, this doesn't mean its the end of the technology.
Another solution would be to make a new approach with SDK involved: create a tool that uses imported GPS data (of a road) to generate road itself. It would make road data highly accurate with generic surroundings that could be hand tailored using SDK. So:

#1 Import road GPS to a tool (not sure what is the most popular format, but for flight simulators people use Ortho4xp tool and it gives amazing results by importing free OSM data, obviously details resolution is nowhere near what rally needs, but still very interesting tech)
#2 Autogen road surface per preset parameters using GPS data (for example "gravel")
#3 Use SDK to hand place objects and modify mesh etc. Arma is a great example of how it works
#4 Don't worry about gameplay balance/ bugs etc. because mods don't require those from game developer. Only the tool does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@urgaffel

I don't use FB nor Twitter, but could we get some info on mod support and max stages length and quantity per location, please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
versedi said:
SamRWD said:
ShodanCat said:
So are you guys who were contacted to provide feedback still actively participating in the process, or was it a one-and-done kind of deal? Also, what was the criteria for being selected? I sure would've liked a chance to offer feedback as well.

They asked for beta testers on the forum about a year ago
I must have missed it, damn. I remember some of you from when we were discussing physics, and I was impressed with your knowledge back then, so I trust you will help push things in right direction!
I missed it too :(
I think it must have been in some kind of closed-off forum section for VIPs since I'm lurking regularly and didn't see it anywhere - there was only a sign up for F1 beta.
It was in the General Discussion forum, same as when they asked for beta testers for the original DiRT Rally. The only closed sections of the forum are for the beta testing and you only get access to that after you've volunteered to beta test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
versedi said:
SamRWD said:
ShodanCat said:
So are you guys who were contacted to provide feedback still actively participating in the process, or was it a one-and-done kind of deal? Also, what was the criteria for being selected? I sure would've liked a chance to offer feedback as well.

They asked for beta testers on the forum about a year ago
I must have missed it, damn. I remember some of you from when we were discussing physics, and I was impressed with your knowledge back then, so I trust you will help push things in right direction!
I missed it too :(
I think it must have been in some kind of closed-off forum section for VIPs since I'm lurking regularly and didn't see it anywhere - there was only a sign up for F1 beta.
It was in the General Discussion forum, same as when they asked for beta testers for the original DiRT Rally. The only closed sections of the forum are for the beta testing and you only get access to that after you've volunteered to beta test.
They didn't ask for testers in the Dirt Series General Discussion forum...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Areyouben said:
I volunteer!                                             
I think everyone active in physics topic discussion should be involved in Beta testing (and I don't say it so I get in- I am happy not to get invited if that gets other lads in).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShodanCat said:
They didn't ask for testers in the Dirt Series General Discussion forum...?
It was the DiRT General Forum. They didn't say what game it was going to be, it could have been DiRT Showdown 2 for all anybody knew, all they said was that they needed pc owners to try out something for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Great to see the Argentinian stage. Looks like will be a lot of fun.

Handling look a step forward. Especially seeing Jon driving the Polo Supercar. Much more realistic on braking and on the turns. So happy with that. Nexto to that Super 1600 and Crosskarts confirmed for Rallycross. And did I hear the historic Mini will be in it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Argentina is reaaally nice, but there isnt enough rocks on the road im my opinion and cutting  in some corners like Jon cutted, in real life believe me it is committing a suicide, at least for your wheel lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mention of South Africa followed by a hasty retraction? Was that a slip of the tongue or is there more to that? 

Confirmation of Supercars, RX2, Super 1600 and Crosskarts for rallycross, though no mention of the Group B cars. Interesting that the line about Supercars wrapped up with "other new cars". Fingers crossed for the Megane!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tbtstt said:
Mention of South Africa followed by a hasty retraction? Was that a slip of the tongue or is there more to that? 

Confirmation of Supercars, RX2, Super 1600 and Crosskarts for rallycross, though no mention of the Group B cars. Interesting that the line about Supercars wrapped up with "other new cars". Fingers crossed for the Megane!
We'll probably get South Africa RX in season 1 or 2 I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tbtstt said:
Mention of South Africa followed by a hasty retraction? Was that a slip of the tongue or is there more to that? 

Confirmation of Supercars, RX2, Super 1600 and Crosskarts for rallycross, though no mention of the Group B cars. Interesting that the line about Supercars wrapped up with "other new cars". Fingers crossed for the Megane!
Yeah, I heard that to. Or did he want to say South America for the Argentina stage. 

Indeed no Group B RX mentioning. It is interesting that they are tight lipped about which "other new cars" join the Polo and S1. Why not than atleast say which older cars return.

With the landrush cars and Group B RX cars possible not in the game, which means 7 cars that not will return and all be replaced by likely rallycross cars

And I would be suprised if the Megane not will show up, because a fake Renault Megane Supercar is in Project Cars 2.

Btw, have you guys seen where the brakes are in the GCK Megane:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Areyouben said:
tbtstt said:
Mention of South Africa followed by a hasty retraction? Was that a slip of the tongue or is there more to that? 

Confirmation of Supercars, RX2, Super 1600 and Crosskarts for rallycross, though no mention of the Group B cars. Interesting that the line about Supercars wrapped up with "other new cars". Fingers crossed for the Megane!
We'll probably get South Africa RX in season 1 or 2 I think.
Yeah, the rallycross circuit was my first thought as well: thought it would be worth mentioning though! 

Was hoping they would pick up on my question about the return (or not) of Dirtfish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I honestly think that the inclusion of "You stage" would be great. Ok, the hand crafted stages are good but, is no possible to add "Your stage"? The technology has already created, and the game would have a huge content...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think I found the real life Argentina stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6NXyxQmMQ0

Go to 22:03 and see the "One Left tightens Hairpin Left"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcwbexpPMAk

Now, go to 2:15 and see the hairpin left from that footage.

I followed the footage for one minute before the camera angle in that Loeb footage started nauseating me (weird camera angle). So I am fairly certain that that is the stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We already concluded it to be El Condor, Argentinas most iconic stage.
What sprung to mind though in the show, was the lack of a narrow bridge. Meaning this was only part of El Condor, and the other long stage will be the other part of it. That leads to two questions:
Will we be able to run the full stage ? So a ca. 15min El Condor Rally-stage?
And does that mean there are no low-stages in Argentina, meaning no water-splashes and no fords (not the cars) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JorritVD said:


Btw, have you guys seen where the brakes are in the GCK Megane:

Yeah, there is a lot of clever engineering in the Megane. They did something significant with the rear radiator and boot floor, but the regulations changed at the start of the season. I am not sure if that is a coincidence of if Prodrive stumbled on something that they had to stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I would love to see Prodrive give rallying another go. Bummer BMW pulled the plug when they were working on the Mini. Seeing a Renault R5 or WRC program would be cool, although the Renault RX isn't really a manufacturers effort is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShodanCat said:
I really don't want to be negative but the grip levels DO look exaggerated like Dirt 4...

We played today (on the DiRT Show) with the soft tyre compound on a Front Wheel Drive car (Golf GTI) which offers maximum grip. When you select a harder compound in game the car with move around more and you will have less traction on acceleration and braking. Personally I enjoy putting on a set of hard tyres and adjusting the setup slightly to make the rear dance around more. We are looking forward to showing you guys the 4wd and rwd cars, which are very exciting to drive and power slide around, stay tuned!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jonny174 said:
ShodanCat said:
I really don't want to be negative but the grip levels DO look exaggerated like Dirt 4...

We played today (on the DiRT Show) with the soft tyre compound on a Front Wheel Drive car (Golf GTI) which offers maximum grip. When you select a harder compound in game the car with move around more and you will have less traction on acceleration and braking. Personally I enjoy putting on a set of hard tyres and adjusting the setup slightly to make the rear dance around more. We are looking forward to showing you guys the 4wd and rwd cars, which are very exciting to drive and power slide around, stay tuned!
Looks like you’ve done a great job on the handling Jon! Can’t wait to see some AWD and RWD!

The rallycross looks really cool too, the cars looked a little more predictable and easier to push to the limits. They were sliding about nicely and had good traction on the tarmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×