DiRTy Gossip

How about we all come down to codies HQ, you can beat us on your top secret new game, and then we can beat you all at drinking in the pub later on? :P
Throw in a scone with strawberry jam and I'm in! :)
I believe the Codemasters in house canteen do pretty damn good cookies too, so throw some of those in.

Toby Evan-Jones (Producer at Codies Racing Studio) posted a link to an interview with him on GRID Autosport and more general next-gen considerations going on at CM at the moment. DiRT franchise was mentioned a number of times.

I do like the sound of the following:

With GRID Autosport taking the series back to its roots, do you think the next DiRT will return to pure point-to-point rally racing?

I wouldn't want to speak for the DiRT guys, because I don't want to put my foot in it and get a kicking when I get back to the studio!

Aw, go on...

(Laughs) I'd say the fact that we chose to roll into GRID Autosport following GRID 2 gave them more time and more space, because there's always a skeleton team working in the background with what we're going to do next. They've had even more time to look at what the essence of a DiRT game is, looking at the original audience, the core community and the essence that they look for. Things like point-to-point, track lengths and the style of the game, the team are really trying to play to that grassroots rally experience and what people expect from that kind of game. They're doing some really cool stuff. But as I say, I don't want to get a kicking, so I'm not going to say any more.

Can you see DiRT Showdown ever making a comeback?

I think that was probably something that at the time came from the studio wanting to do something more slanted towards arcade-style gameplay and it was really fun, what came out of it. I would say it definitely has its own place within the DiRT franchise, but slightly set aside from the 'core' DiRTs, as it were. I don't think you should look at that and expect that's what future DiRT games are going to be. It was more something that made sense at the time, and people wanted to make it because it'd be fun and it was a fun title. It won't dictate at all the future of DiRT.

But no so much of this answer...

Do you think GRID will forever stay its own thing and DiRT will stay its own thing or could they one day come together?

That would be something that would be silly for us not to think about, because we've got some very strong IPs there. We'd probably say that DiRT is leading the way in terms of that off-road experience, whereas GRID is very much about that on-track, tarmac racing experience. But there's definitely two prongs of attack going on there, and of course we've got the F1 license, so it'd be silly not to think, how can we bring all of this together to do something really interesting that hasn't been done before in terms of crossover. I couldn't speak about that too much, but I'd say that next-gen is going to offer some really interesting opportunities for us as a studio.

Please do not mix GRID with DiRT to create something strange... Tarmac rallies are amazing in their own right and with an authentic handling model and tarmac specific car set up in can be special. So please Codies, do not experiment with the next DiRT...

Toby Evan-Jones (Producer at Codies Racing Studio) posted a link to an interview with him on GRID Autosport and more general next-gen considerations going on at CM at the moment. DiRT franchise was mentioned a number of times.

I do like the sound of the following:

With GRID Autosport taking the series back to its roots, do you think the next DiRT will return to pure point-to-point rally racing?

I wouldn't want to speak for the DiRT guys, because I don't want to put my foot in it and get a kicking when I get back to the studio!

Aw, go on...

(Laughs) I'd say the fact that we chose to roll into GRID Autosport following GRID 2 gave them more time and more space, because there's always a skeleton team working in the background with what we're going to do next. They've had even more time to look at what the essence of a DiRT game is, looking at the original audience, the core community and the essence that they look for. Things like point-to-point, track lengths and the style of the game, the team are really trying to play to that grassroots rally experience and what people expect from that kind of game. They're doing some really cool stuff. But as I say, I don't want to get a kicking, so I'm not going to say any more.

Can you see DiRT Showdown ever making a comeback?

I think that was probably something that at the time came from the studio wanting to do something more slanted towards arcade-style gameplay and it was really fun, what came out of it. I would say it definitely has its own place within the DiRT franchise, but slightly set aside from the 'core' DiRTs, as it were. I don't think you should look at that and expect that's what future DiRT games are going to be. It was more something that made sense at the time, and people wanted to make it because it'd be fun and it was a fun title. It won't dictate at all the future of DiRT.

But no so much of this answer...

Do you think GRID will forever stay its own thing and DiRT will stay its own thing or could they one day come together?

That would be something that would be silly for us not to think about, because we've got some very strong IPs there. We'd probably say that DiRT is leading the way in terms of that off-road experience, whereas GRID is very much about that on-track, tarmac racing experience. But there's definitely two prongs of attack going on there, and of course we've got the F1 license, so it'd be silly not to think, how can we bring all of this together to do something really interesting that hasn't been done before in terms of crossover. I couldn't speak about that too much, but I'd say that next-gen is going to offer some really interesting opportunities for us as a studio.

Please do not mix GRID with DiRT to create something strange... Tarmac rallies are amazing in their own right and with an authentic handling model and tarmac specific car set up in can be special. So please Codies, do not experiment with the next DiRT...
Someone is going to get a kicking :P

Evilsmurf said:

Slightly off topic but are the dirti devs planning another test group day for this game like they did for GAS

Would be tempted to make the 6 hour drive for a look at this and give some feedback, could even be tempted to stay over night and go for a beer or 3 with justbiglee and the crew

:D
I'd be fast alseep after 3 beers mate
I say we get the Codies team drunk and then talk about DiRT.  They will be more than willing to talk about work then... we'll just have to ignore the typical banter about not getting paid enough and @justbiglee complaining about his diet more, lol.  

Or we could starve them of beer and wait for them to crack..

Not DiRTy gossip as such, but I made a start on my Lydden pictures this evening so I thought I'd chuck a couple of my faves up:

I'm really crossing my fingers that Lydden is in the next DiRT: it would be brilliant to blast round it in game!

Great photos @tbtstt ! Flames! :)

Yesterday an interesting photo was tweeted. It showed grown men playing with a Matchbox car:

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/472404896646713344

Who is the VISITOR? :)

Yesterday an interesting photo was tweeted. It showed grown men playing with a Matchbox car:

World famous rally driver, you'll never guess which though.

Okay @justbiglee ,I get the hint.
I'll stop with the snooping and speculation... :P

Maybe we'd guess if we were given some hints? 
;)

I'm going to say Solberg, just because! :D

I reckon it was Kirs Meeke - the person in the photo appears to have decent sized guns :P

I doubt Codies would make @JonTucker wear a visitor badge after a couple of months at work :D

If we are talking a driver with large guns, I'd say Chris Atkinson!

LOL, his nickname here is on the foruns is ThierryNeuville, that's what :P

Famous rally driver... yah, for the spin he made in front of the Rallymedia cameras! 

But a lucky guy I have to tell :P

Aha! Nice one @TheFlyingTuga !

https://twitter.com/Martijntjhuu/status/472791511198101507

I suspect @ThierryNeuville won't be allowed to say anything... 

8-| What I can say is that @justbiglee ,@KickUp and the other DiRT developers are really nice talented petrolhead guys that work with all there passion and love on something amazing! ;-)
Its the perfect team for this very hard assignment, that Codemasters has! :-)

Believe me its in save hands over there in Southam ;-)

tbtstt said:

I'm going to say Solberg, just because! :D
Solberg?!  8-| :)) , I do have the crashing talent from him ;-) Although not World Champion "yet"  :D

Is this a clue maybe? What is this very hard assignment? Is it making another DiRT americana game or is the word assignment reflecting on a bigger responsibility? Like a FIA license? 

#breakitdownandspeculate

8-| What I can say is that @justbiglee ,@KickUp and the other DiRT developers are really nice talented petrolhead guys that work with all there passion and love on something amazing! ;-)

Yep, @ThierryNeuville was threatened with 'kicking' by @KickUp :)

I think the mission mentioned above is to create the best rally game in history. This game would abolish the myth that 'sims' must be hard, by making big strides in physics modelling to make it feel authentic and fun at the same time. On top of that the rally content will be extensive, stages interesting and realistic; and the entire package will feel just right.

I'm hoping that @ThierryNeuville pitched his 'Ultimate Rally Team' idea in person and that the devs were keen on it. Of course such a mode would require a lot of work, but in person convincing can be more productive :)

So on a scale from 1 - 10 how impressed were you with you saw at Codies HQ?

I think the mission mentioned above is to create the best rally game in history. This game would abolish the myth that 'sims' must be hard, by making big strides in physics modelling to make it feel authentic and fun at the same time. On top of that the rally content will be extensive, stages interesting and realistic; and the entire package will feel just right.

I'm hoping that @ThierryNeuville pitched his 'Ultimate Rally Team' idea in person and that the devs were keen on it. Of course such a mode would require a lot of work, but in person convincing can be more productive :)

Hate to be a buzz kill but @ThierryNeuville signed an NDA so he can't really talk about what he played or give impressions on it, the only thing I said he could say right now is that he'd been to Codemasters.

When the time is right he'll be allowed to tell you all about it though, sorry guys.

Hate to be a buzz kill but @ThierryNeuville signed an NDA so he can't really talk about what he played or give impressions on it, the only thing I said he could say right now is that he'd been to Codemasters.

When the time is right he'll be allowed to tell you all about it though, sorry guys.
@MastaVonBlasta that was all what I could say ;-) can't and won't say anything more,
As @justbiglee said I signed something , And i dont want to spill any white beans in tomato sauce!

What I can say is that the canteen lady at Codemasters is a nice lady and makes delicious strange english meals! 
And I dont want the next romantic lunch with @justbiglee and @Loore disturbed by @KickUp because he has to kick me! ;-)

I know I know, I understand! 

@MastaVonBlasta that was all what I could say ;-) can't and won't say anything more,
As @justbiglee said I signed something , And i dont want to spill any white beans in tomato sauce!

What I can say is that the canteen lady at Codemasters is a nice lady and makes delicious strange english meals! 
And I dont want the next romantic lunch with @justbiglee and @Loore disturbed by @KickUp because he has to kick me! ;-)

Haha delicious and 'strange'! :) Nice description of British cuisine :)

The day the drivers and visitors will be allowed to talk about what they've seen and played will be a great day :D

Off topic maybe, but I just watched the DiRT3 teaser trailer. Man that was one for the books! The sound, the environments, the music! Can't wait for the sequel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MgSPOgcUyQ

I know I know, I understand! 

Haha delicious and 'strange'! :) Nice description of British cuisine :)

The day the drivers and visitors will be allowed to talk about what they've seen and played will be a great day :D
Yes that day can't come soon enough ;)

@Stuntmanmike24 Are you actually sponsored by euronics and how do you apply to get sponsorship ,Because i believe some of our stp guys like myself could possibly qualify for this kind of scheme.

What kind of sponsorship are you actually getting , Is it equipment or monetary ?.