DiRTy Gossip

I have mixed feelings about using old stages. On one hand I get those who are aginst it, it's just reusing old content, while probably making you pay for it again (there could be a discount for DiRT Rally owners, that could be one way of doing it) On the other hand, it would be great to have a go on the old stages with the new "proper" handling model, new cars, new lighting engine etc.

SkyRex said:

If we get remastered versions from DR1, I doubt, but hope that we get two Rallies and only one RX per DLC instead. Choice would then be Sweden and Monte first, Wales and Germany second.
I can spare the rest. IMHO Poland beats Finland, because narrower road and equally fast. and Argentina beats Greece, obvious I hope ^^

Ha, that's my problem; I genuinely can't work out which ones I prefer more.

I was really disappointed by Finland in DR1; the stage itself was utterly superb, but the experience somewhat soured for me by the cars flying weightless through the air - if the new physics are as good as the guys suggest I'd love to enjoy Ounimpoujha as it should be.

Greece was very different to Argentina IMO, although I see some similarities in surface obviously. But El Condor is a single road, no junctions, a lot of precision at low speed but you shouldn't ever need the handbrake really (bit of a guess there but doesn't look like it). Greece was full of hairpins and junctions and the stage with all the hairpins down the hill will live on in my memory.

Anyway, a new week dawns, let's see what tidbits of information it brings!
There are parts of the stages in Finland I really enjoyed, but overall the jumpy physics made it extremely frustrating as you were basically bouncing through the stage without any flow at all. In that regard I have to say I enjoyed the Impreza R4 in Michigan in D4 more. 

I really like that they chose Poland over Finland in the new game. Something new and fresh over something that is pretty much included in every single rally game. 

The only concern I have is that NZ, Poland, Australia will be very similar in tempo/pace wise and Argentina being the only gravel one that differs. 

Areyouben said:
The asphalt in Dirt 4 feels like a hovercraft. Better than DR1, but still.
Agree. The only thing that makes the experience somewhat better is the FFB that is stiffer. 

The new tarmac physics feel much better than both DR and D4 tho  B)

Question for the testers (on the assumption you are allowed to respond): have you had much/any time with the rallycross cars yet? 

The supercars were, in my opinion, the biggest step forward made by D4: I'm very interested to see how the cars compare in DR2.0.

Rallystu2 said:
It is kind of strange not to want dr1 stages in dr2. Normal is to takevthe goid thinfs when you make a new gamem improve bad things and drop things that didn't work (yourstage). The stages from dr1 were very good so should be used (yes bting them to the latest game standard).

Alk those complaining over repetive stagesm I got bad news for you, you are going to complain within a month after release dr2, you can't be helped.
That's not the issue. The issue is paying twice for the same thing. After complaints that dr1 had no DLC and then releasing DR1 as DLC in DR2 I don't think is the way to go, certainly not with the first 2 seasons. I like dirt rallies stages too but there's tons of other stages out there they could release. Release DR1 stages alongside new stages is A ok.
Noone said or thought otherwise.

Finland would be so good with the new physics (if they worked on the jumps). D4's jump physics were already better than DR1 and would make a difference in Finland. I'm looking forward to the new rallies but also interested in seeing how DR1 stages would come back. Anything is welcome.
And like most of you, I also don't really care much about RX but that's part of the deal.

tbtstt said:
Question for the testers (on the assumption you are allowed to respond): have you had much/any time with the rallycross cars yet? 

The supercars were, in my opinion, the biggest step forward made by D4: I'm very interested to see how the cars compare in DR2.0.

Yep, we did test one and while it's still very good, I have some concerns about it to be honest. IMO it feels a bit too 'snappy' grip wise during transitions on the tarmac parts.

One BIG improvement over D4 though is that you very clearly feel when you hit the gravel parts. You instantly feel less friction through the steering wheel and general car response. I did go back to D4 to the same combination and when doing that same tarmac to gravel transition you hardly notice it at all, almost like it's merely a texture change.

That said, I'm sure things have been tweaked since our last build, so it might be different now.

Anyone else seen DiRTs Instagram story today? Can’t work out what country it is. Possibly Poland? 
It's Poland for sure. Very narrow roads with a good portion of vegetation and long straights. What really amazes me is the 11:30 current split time. Feels like it'll be a 20 km+ stage and that would be awesome.
May have just been parked for 5 mins. Looking at stage lengths of the NZ (~12km) and Argentina (~8km) I wouldn't expect anything radically different in that regard.

Edit: especially if done for a recce!
Also thought about a recce, but wanted to keep hopes high on longer stages whew

bogani said:
tbtstt said:

Yep, we did test one and while it's still very good, I have some concerns about it to be honest. IMO it feels a bit too 'snappy' grip wise during transitions on the tarmac parts.

One BIG improvement over D4 though is that you very clearly feel when you hit the gravel parts. You instantly feel less friction through the steering wheel and general car response. I did go back to D4 to the same combination and when doing that same tarmac to gravel transition you hardly notice it at all, almost like it's merely a texture change.

That said, I'm sure things have been tweaked since our last build, so it might be different now.

It appears that there's still some tweaks to be done on the tarmac physics, but given the experience from DR1 and DR4 I'm sure they are getting closer each day.

AIPacino said:
bogani said:
tbtstt said:

It appears that there's still some tweaks to be done on the tarmac physics, but given the experience from DR1 and DR4 I'm sure they are getting closer each day.
Just to be absolutely clear. My post was regarding Rallycross, which uses a completely different tire and can't really be compared to the ones being used on a tarmac rally stage. 

"The asphalt in Dirt 4 feels incredible of realist. And in wet, better still". I edit: in the category R5... In other cars if I agree in that he was feeling very rare or with too many grip. The category R5 of Dirt 4 if I am charmed with me very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJx9wE44Xmk

Apologies if it's been posted before (it's three weeks' old), but just been listening to this discussion and it makes a refreshing change to a lot of lightweight media coverage, they do go into a lot more depth and aren't afraid to balance praise and criticism. I don't agree with all their points, but it's good food for thought if nothing else.

bogani said:
tbtstt said:

Cheers @bogani! I thought D4 was much improved over DR (I was comparing DR and D4 back-to-back the other night and DR can be very snappy at times), so I hope we see those improvements (and more) in DR2.0.

bogani said:
tbtstt said:

Bogani,
can you please  tell what and how so was reworked in tarmac rally physics ? Not rally X 
thanks muxh 

what we tested for the rally x was only a quick snippet so hard to judge . we also tested different tyres without knowing so. so again hard to give a detailed analysis of rallycross period. other builds will of happened since then cant wait to see how it finally turns out.

I will repeat what Bogani said about the tarmac, he/we were referring specifically to the RX physics, and again, they are a different tyre and setup to rally stuff.
Our testing there was mainly over transition between surfaces, which was eminently more noticeable over anything we've had before, a nice step forward.

bogani said:
tbtstt said:

Bogani,
can you please  tell what and how so was reworked in tarmac rally physics ? Not rally X 
thanks muxh 

Can't really say how and what was reworked specifically, but what I can say is that the cars feels much more connected to the road and the strange sensation that the cars are pivoting around the center when turning is pretty much gone. 

@jonny174  Are you by any chance suggesting this little lion will come out to play in DR 2.0 ;)?

P.S - Please keep the Adam. I love that angry and fast little car!

bogani said:
Great news! Unless they ditched the Adam for the 208?

It's unlikely to be around much longer IRL unfortunately; PSA don't seem to want a new-gen Opel R2.

On the other hand, we know at least two Opels will be returning, in the Manta and the Kadett GT/E.

Seeing how this is the gossip thread and all... Embargo on a new R5 from the Czech Republic lifts tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/OpensTightens/status/1067172079269806081?s=19

Seeing how this is the gossip thread and all... Embargo on a new R5 from the Czech Republic lifts tomorrow...

https://twitter.com/OpensTightens/status/1067172079269806081?s=19
I'll take even the old one that's been around since 2015, for DR2. Also curious about what this new platform may be.