DiRTy Gossip

JZStudios said:
gfRally said:
54 days

51 until Early Access opens for those who pre-order ;)
XX days until we [REDACTED]

It's a little off-topic but, since gossip is a little on the low end, any chance of future DiRT games on the Mad Box?
https://www.gtplanet.net/slightly-mad-studios-is-working-on-its-own-console/
Yes, you read it correctly, and yes, they are living up to their name.

It's a little off-topic but, since gossip is a little on the low end, any chance of future DiRT games on the Mad Box?

Mad box?  More like:

Just because... why not? These Porsche shots are from the 'second' Spanish stage (assuming there are two), which continues from where the one shown in the longer stream ends.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2167947,0.7287706,3a,75y,102.2h,102t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sumTCDTT1vjP0f5J31iXjFQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.2193952,0.7200279,3a,75y,208.62h,98.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgwCamhpxmv6pzkVbeGwNXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

gfRally said:

Mad box?  More like:

Wrong way, surely?

Any chance of any games on the Mad Box? Or more succinctly, any chance for the Mad Box at all...

dwkGravey said:
Any chance of any games on the Mad Box? Or more succinctly, any chance for the Mad Box at all...
I don't want to be the one condemning a project to failure when it's still in its early stages but, when I saw this piece of news, it was a bit too crazy not to share. I would think it's too ambitious and they're trying to bite off more than they can chew.
Imagine Codemasters deciding to make a system, the Ego, with their game engine on it. I don't see it.

Cant knock them for trying ..............................they managed to have the best Rally X sim to date as parts of a much bigger racing title.If they concentrated on rally ,as Ian said he would one day, that would be fantastic

Cant knock them for trying ..............................they managed to have the best Rally X sim to date as parts of a much bigger racing title.If they concentrated on rally ,as Ian said he would one day, that would be fantastic
Ian says lots of things.. 

dwkGravey said:
I don't want to be the one condemning a project to failure when it's still in its early stages but, when I saw this piece of news, it was a bit too crazy not to share. I would think it's too ambitious and they're trying to bite off more than they can chew.
Imagine Codemasters deciding to make a system, the Ego, with their game engine on it. I don't see it.
It’s very ambitious, but dare I say a little stupid? I can’t see it taking off, as I can’t see consumers investing in it, and I also can’t see developers investing in it. Both need each other, but without one there is no other. 

Is it really better than DiRT 4? I never played PCars 2.

Oscar97 said:
just a tad LOL ........................................

bogani said:
Ian says lots of things.. 
Hate party poopers ..................He also delivered on a lot of things ......................Im not a fan boy, but rather someone who since early access on PC had a lot of fun and enjoyed a sim that has offered such huge variety and counless hours of fun for me.PC2 was even better on all fronts 

Project cars 2  was an incredibly ambitious task and as it stands now with all updates etc is the best racing SIM I've ever played. So I have affection for those guys at slightly mad. 

Oscar97 said:
Weight transfer is much more pronounced in PC2 and gravel is a lot looser. Requires more finesse while it's more bang on the throttle in Dirt. 

My ears bleeds though as the RX cars sounds awful in PC2  :s

PC2 may be an amazing sim overall, but this is a huge undertaking to even consider a hardware platform. Look at Valve and the Steam Machines. Valve invested millions and millions into that platform and I think even after all of these years running a much more viable OS that supports more than just games, they only broke 500,000 units? I'd love to get more competition into the hardware market, but I really don't think Slightly Mad truly understands the scope of what they are attempting. Most of their core demographic already has fairly powerful systems and have absolutely zero reason to buy something weaker for more money.

AGREE , but all im saying is let the dude try it !!!!!!!!!!!!! Shit if he hes money to start something, that may or may not be the coolest thing ever , but let him try and dont knock it before its even known what the fuck it is .....................

Slightly Mad Studios made World Of Speed, then offloaded it and it died. They made Red Bull Air Race, which looked astounding... Then killed it. They've talked about a Road Rash style game, and a go kart game, and probably more...

They might do a special console (mini PC?) with a game engine included, etc, but I can't imagine people would be selling their PCs/consoles for it.

Anyway, fun to watch!

Slightly Mad Studios made World Of Speed, then offloaded it and it died. They made Red Bull Air Race, which looked astounding... Then killed it. They've talked about a Road Rash style game, and a go kart game, and probably more...

They might do a special console (mini PC?) with a game engine included, etc, but I can't imagine people would be selling their PCs/consoles for it.

Anyway, fun to watch!
I think World of Speed was just a scam to get money from My.com.

Re Mad Studios console: wait until they start talking like they have a clue what they're on about. "60FPS VR" Is probably great if you enjoy emptying stomach contents. There's a good reason most of the VR headsets around target 90FPS per eye (180FPS).

Hmm, it is friday and January. Anything news from CM we will hear today? I guess some have holiday or have a hangover :P 

I think the only reason for me to like this is to move off Windows (finally) and dump all the baggage it brings with it.   But this is exactly what SteamOS (and hardware) was trying to accomplish.  Linux is maturing as a game platform, but acceptance needs to grow.  Its getting easier, from what I understand, to port games over.  However, just like (cough VR) porting still requires and people that may not be recouped.

There really isn't a simple solution, consoles are great platforms, but they get outdated.  PCs are great for upgradability, but that comes at a cost and you are tied to a complicated and buggy MS Windows.  

Much like Apple since they gained popularity they started to suck more and more.  If everyone where to jump to linux, it could possibly create similar BIG corporation issues.

Its just a viscous circle.  

gfRally said:
I think the only reason for me to like this is to move off Windows (finally) and dump all the baggage it brings with it.   But this is exactly what SteamOS (and hardware) was trying to accomplish.  Linux is maturing as a game platform, but acceptance needs to grow.  Its getting easier, from what I understand, to port games over.  However, just like (cough VR) porting still requires and people that may not be recouped.

There really isn't a simple solution, consoles are great platforms, but they get outdated.  PCs are great for upgradability, but that comes at a cost and you are tied to a complicated and buggy MS Windows.  

Much like Apple since they gained popularity they started to suck more and more.  If everyone where to jump to linux, it could possibly create similar BIG corporation issues.

Never really got those, who prefer Linux-Distros over windows for private use... For performance like a server, or embedded systems, or something, it's best, no doubt. But for personal use I find it very cumbersome and un-intuitive. Some Distros (OpenSUSE for example) mirrors quite a similar experience as Windows, with less terminal-fiddeling. But then you can also just use Win and use most Software out of the box. 
And for me, Win 10 really holds up to those stability promises. In now roughly 4 years on this machine, I got exactly one bluescreen. Apart from that, rock solid experience. 

Of course if you're talking about a lightweigth gaming-exclusive machine, it might be a different matter. But for your PC-multi-purpose-workhorse I don't see the benefits any more, since Win10 got that stable.

SkyRex said:
gfRally said:

Never really got those, who prefer Linux-Distros over windows for private use... For performance like a server, or embedded systems, or something, it's best, no doubt. But for personal use I find it very cumbersome and un-intuitive. Some Distros (OpenSUSE for example) mirrors quite a similar experience as Windows, with less terminal-fiddeling. But then you can also just use Win and use most Software out of the box. 
And for me, Win 10 really holds up to those stability promises. In now roughly 4 years on this machine, I got exactly one bluescreen. Apart from that, rock solid experience. 

Of course if you're talking about a lightweigth gaming-exclusive machine, it might be a different matter. But for your PC-multi-purpose-workhorse I don't see the benefits any more, since Win10 got that stable.
Maybe I shouldn't have said buggy, you are right, its pretty solid (not crashing).  I only use windows for gaming, everything else is on my old Mac which performs just fine for photo editing/illustrator work.  I do like the MacOS interface better - almost glad that my mac is no longer supported for future OS upgrades now, so they can't screw it up any more.  

My problem with windows gaming is that the interface is far from console type experience.  Steam's Big Screen mode is rather cumbersome, unintuitive, and still relies to much on windows interface for common system setup options that are mostly game related.  

Windows also has a lot of bloat (and now ADS?), that I believe linux doesn't have.  You are very correct that linux is also clunky on the interface.  

If there was a  get in/get out console style gaming OS for a PC with its hardware flexibility and power then there would be little need for someone like SMS to develop a console.  Just have approved hardware and a vetted app store (i.e. does this crash the system? no - approved. yes - rejected).  Some control/oversight is nice at times.