DiRTy Gossip

tbtstt said:
Ha, that's real subtle! 

Hope everyone going to Holjes has a miserable weekend and doesn't enjoy themselves at all. I'm not jealous at all...
Haha - it's shaping up to be a great weekend, but I'll do my best not to enjoy it :tongue 

I've just seen the programme for the weekend and it seems there'll plenty going on on Friday, and I'm arriving on Saturday morning (after landing in Oslo at midnight...).
I am currently pained by waves of extreme jealously! What time are you getting to the circuit? I would assume that they will be starting early as they have four classes to fit it; three of which have a significant number of entrants.

I shall have to settle for the Livestream on Sunday, be sure to wave at the cameras! :smiley: 

I guess I'm the only one not that excited about this announcement.  If it's like it seems and they get the WRX license, that obviously means a lot more Rallycross than they probably had planned before.   I know it's a small team and they are doing the best they can but that will obviously cut into the development of the actual rally side of it adding events/stages/features that most of us probably bought the game for.

I personally am not into Rallycross but a massive rally fan.  I got tired of circuit racing after over a decade of doing and quit sim racing and sold all my stuff cause a couple years ago it looked like we were never going to get another rally sim at that point.  The only sim I actually enjoyed still was RBR but I got tired of it after years and years then this came out of nowhere.  I just hope the focus is still mainly on rally and not trying to jam in just as much Rallycross content.

"Gildan Activewear Inc. is a manufacturer and marketer of branded clothing, including undecorated blank activewear such as t-shirts, sport shirts and fleeces, which are subsequently decorated by screen printing companies with designs and logos." from Google...
I actually work for a company who does those exact things, buys clothes gets logos and words etc, printed or ebroidered onto them, we do actually use some Gildan goods as well, so its likely that they received their T-shirts in that box and have just used the box for something else, or they could be taking some swag with them i suppose...

griev0r said:
I guess I'm the only one not that excited about this announcement.  If it's like it seems and they get the WRX license, that obviously means a lot more Rallycross than they probably had planned before.   I know it's a small team and they are doing the best they can but that will obviously cut into the development of the actual rally side of it adding events/stages/features that most of us probably bought the game for.

I personally am not into Rallycross but a massive rally fan.  I got tired of circuit racing after over a decade of doing and quit sim racing and sold all my stuff cause a couple years ago it looked like we were never going to get another rally sim at that point.  The only sim I actually enjoyed still was RBR but I got tired of it after years and years then this came out of nowhere.  I just hope the focus is still mainly on rally and not trying to jam in just as much Rallycross content.
The two rallycross packs have been on the release schedule from day one, and Paul Coleman (among others I seem to recall) hinted that rallycross would be returning long before DiRT Rally was released, so rallycross has been on the cards for some time. I personally don't think the forthcoming rallycross additions will come at the detriment of any rally content (I await correction from the team on that one!).

I'm unquestionably biased as I am a huge rallycross fan, but with what we've seen thus far I'm hoping that licensed World Rallycross content will mean that rallycross is as maturely represented as the rally. Proper circuits, proper event structure, genuine liveries...

...hopefully there will be enough content to please all of us @griev0r!

I agree with what @tbtstt wrote above and I also understand your reservations @griev0r  . I had a chance to try RX stuff at Codies in 2013 and that discipline has been in their games for a while.

Of course modelling of the RX tracks, cars and design of RX features would have taken away from building stuff for rally. It is my suspicion that, because RX tracks are much more contained that maybe the effort of researching them and modelling is less than for a rally stage. 
So if there will be 2-3 RX tracks it likely does not mean that 2-3 rally stages were sacrificed.

In my opinion the direct racing in RX (either with AI or online) will provide a bit of variety for either the most 'I only care about rally' players. I still think that DiRT Rally will consist of 75% rally, 15% RX and 10% Hillclimb.

WorldRX is growing and developing at a very fast rate. This likely tie-up would bring exposure to both DiRT and World RX. I certainly find the racing exciting, the promotor IMG is doing all the right things to make it sensible from the cost point of view and attractive to broadcasters.

With how well DiRT Rally has began its EAccess and how well IMG is running the RX World Championship I think we'll get a really fun package for online or offline play :) 

A tie up with WorldRX will do wonders for DiRT sales when it hits the consoles too. I think it could mean larger RallyX content for the game in the future. I hope so anyway, particularly as it'll most likely be based on real world circuits.

BrySkye said:
Just to make it clear, the lads are in Norway, not Sweden. ;)
Rygge airport in Norway is the best/cheapest way to get to the area of Rally Sweden and the rallycross location. I suspect they're driving over the border. Just don't do it too many times in a weekend or you get tracked by customs officials, in my experience!

griev0r said:

I'm completely with you there, but it has been clear from Day 1 that what I'm buying into is a rally and rallycross game and this was on the timeline from the start. I would prefer a pure rally game and I doubt I'll use the RX side of things too much,  but it will be what it is and we'll just have to hope the post-release focus is on rally by playing it as much as possible!

The thing that seems very confusing to me is the emphasis is clearly on modern rallycross but classic rallying. That said, I'll wait until the end of EA before I make any judgements on the complete content, so let's wait and see :)

BrySkye said:
Rygge airport in Norway is the best/cheapest way to get to the area of Rally Sweden and the rallycross location. I suspect they're driving over the border. Just don't do it too many times in a weekend or you get tracked by customs officials, in my experience!
I'm doing the same on Saturday morning - that Holjes track is in the middle of nowhere :D 

@tbtstt - have you come across any forum posts/guides on where to go/how to get to/tips when going to Holjes?

I'll try to meet up with the DiRTy lads to squeeze some RX Gossip and info - I'm keen to know whether they introduce some sort of manual starts as that aspect of RX is absolutely key.

Lee is doing very well as the trip's reporter - we should be getting lots of pics over the weekend :) 

BrySkye said:
Yeah seems like they're driving over the border. They even got a speeding fine already in Normay :D Lee released this tweet:

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/616322499782049792

Of course I had to try to guess the fine:

https://twitter.com/JJBruce_/status/616325249244753920

And guess who won :p 

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/616327893136842753

Can't wait until some DiRTy #Swag arrives!

Yeah, but thought it important to clarify it's a road trip via Norway.
Saying as we started seeing Norwegian flags popping up amongst DiRT Rally spectators with Pikes Peak, might be more to that decision than simple convenience~.

BrySkye said:
I'm doing the same on Saturday morning - that Holjes track is in the middle of nowhere :D 

@tbtstt - have you come across any forum posts/guides on where to go/how to get to/tips when going to Holjes?

I'll try to meet up with the DiRTy lads to squeeze some RX Gossip and info - I'm keen to know whether they introduce some sort of manual starts as that aspect of RX is absolutely key.

Lee is doing very well as the trip's reporter - we should be getting lots of pics over the weekend :) 
I dont know if it's the quickest way, but Hamar is a lovely town with some nice roads going east. If you go via Torsby, there are plenty of Rally Sweden stages you could visit, but I can't imagine what they look like by summer.

Also, if you have time to stop there, Oslo is a great city.

tbtstt said:
griev0r said:

The two rallycross packs have been on the release schedule from day one, and Paul Coleman (among others I seem to recall) hinted that rallycross would be returning long before DiRT Rally was released, so rallycross has been on the cards for some time. I personally don't think the forthcoming rallycross additions will come at the detriment of any rally content (I await correction from the team on that one!).

I'm unquestionably biased as I am a huge rallycross fan, but with what we've seen thus far I'm hoping that licensed World Rallycross content will mean that rallycross is as maturely represented as the rally. Proper circuits, proper event structure, genuine liveries...

...hopefully there will be enough content to please all of us @griev0r!
Yes Paul hinted after DiRT 3 that Rallycross was here to stay and @griev0r i don't think it was ever mentioned that DiRT rally was going to be pure rally game.

Sorry @GentleNameMVB I don't really have any specifics on the route. From the research I've done I have been told the best way to do it (at least from the UK) is a flight to Oslo (Gardermoen), then hire a car and drive to the circuit. I looked at a journey planner to get an approximate idea of distance, but I didn't look at the specific route. 

The guys I travel abroad with for rallycross preferred the idea of doing as many rounds as we could this year rather than the one expensive trip to Holjes: I'm hoping to convince them to do Sweden next year, as the cost of doing it by myself would be ridiculous!

gfRally said:
interesting thoughts on possible cars:

VW Beetle RX 
Audi S1 RX
Ford Fiesta (a given)
Citroen DS3
VW Polo

Does a FIA license blanket cover the cars too?  Or just Tracks?  

I would hope its the full package: tracks, cars, sponsors etc. I guess we will have to wait until release day until we know for sure though!

The core cars that immediately spring to mind (to me anyway) as essential for a World Rallycross add on are:

Citroen DS3 4x4 T16
Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16
Volkswagen Polo 4x4 T16
Peugeot 208 4x4 T16
Audi S1 4x4 T16

This weekend will be the first time a Beetle supercar (or rather a modern Beetle supercar) has been used in Europe so it may not be a priority? Be cool if it was in game, though if we are talking about just one VW I personally much prefer the Polo. 

Thinking about the cars that Codemasters have modeled in the past, there is the MINI Countryman and Evo X. The JRM MINI's have appeared at several World rounds already, so perhaps they might make the cut? 

The Isachsen Impreza GR was built to meet World Rallycross specification (Sverre drove it at the Canadian World Rallycross round last year) and, as far as I'm aware, both of the new Impreza GJ rallycross cars (the VT15x) are compliant with World specification, so perhaps they could be potential cars as well? No idea if CM have got any data on the GJ Impreza though. 

If they do include the Audi S1, then the Audi A1 isn't radically different, so perhaps a few tweak to the model and the Larsson A1 could be in game too.

tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
interesting thoughts on possible cars:

VW Beetle RX 
Audi S1 RX
Ford Fiesta (a given)
Citroen DS3
VW Polo

Does a FIA license blanket cover the cars too?  Or just Tracks?  

I would hope its the full package: tracks, cars, sponsors etc. I guess we will have to wait until release day until we know for sure though!

The core cars that immediately spring to mind (to me anyway) as essential for a World Rallycross add on are:

Citroen DS3 4x4 T16
Ford Fiesta 4x4 T16
Volkswagen Polo 4x4 T16
Peugeot 208 4x4 T16
Audi S1 4x4 T16

This weekend will be the first time a Beetle supercar (or rather a modern Beetle supercar) has been used in Europe so it may not be a priority? Be cool if it was in game, though if we are talking about just one VW I personally much prefer the Polo. 

Thinking about the cars that Codemasters have modeled in the past, there is the MINI Countryman and Evo X. The JRM MINI's have appeared at several World rounds already, so perhaps they might make the cut? 

The Isachsen Impreza GR was built to meet World Rallycross specification (Sverre drove it at the Canadian World Rallycross round last year) and, as far as I'm aware, both of the new Impreza GJ rallycross cars (the VT15x) are compliant with World specification, so perhaps they could be potential cars as well? No idea if CM have got any data on the GJ Impreza though. 

If they do include the Audi S1, then the Audi A1 isn't radically different, so perhaps a few tweak to the model and the Larsson A1 could be in game too.

I am more thinking of , if Codemasters get the World Rallycross license, then they still have to make 9 rallycross tracks, (3 announced already, and the calender got 12 rounds)
http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/

So i doubt if they will get the full license ( because they will have to make 9 more tracks) ,.. that means they wont get all cars i guess.
Lets hope that its nonsense what i made up, because i would love to see 12 rallycross tracks and 6 big rallies ( althrough i love to see 8 or 10 rallies in total)

Rallycross and rally are very close related to each other, they are like brothers, I think many people underestimate that and many rallydrivers did some rallycross events, even the manufactures !

I think if Codemasters concentrate with DiRT Rally at Rally and rallycross ( and hillclimb) they make a very very good move.
Rally is fun and i love it! But i can understand that some people who love to drive sometimes a rally also would like to have some close contact ralling sometimes, and this can be done in rallycross!
Rally and rallycross is just brutal!

@tbtstt 

I knew about the Impreza GR, but I don't think its competing in any of the WRX rounds (ironic because WRX moniker), besides I am not really holding out much hope for many Subarus being licensed if maybe 1 more.  

@ThierryNeuville 

As cool as it would be and the relationship they are building between Codies and IMG/FIA.  Adding all 12 rounds would change the Title to DiRT Rallycross by numbers alone (rally events vs rallycross events) and that would upset a lot of people here.  I would be a bit disappointed myself as much as I am starting to like RX and playing it side by side with you guys, my heart is always in stage rally.

I have been wondering lately if DiRT Rally is very much a BIG experiment, yea yea obvious EA it is, but could DR be laying the foundations for other spin off titles?  Maybe they are trying to prove to Codies that DiRT is still a profitable brand and there is still interest in a proper rally simulation.

I say this because of all the reused licensing (all cars thus far have been used previously), reusing an older EGO engine,  obviously testing EA for the first time, etc.   NOT THAT I AM DISAPPOINTED!  I like almost everything we have in the title.  I feel this way because of so much emphisis has been put into the Physics modeling and figuring out what works and doesn't with different locations.  This is just my gut feeling, take this all with a grain of salt.  

gfRally said:

@tbtstt 

I knew about the Impreza GR, but I don't think its competing in any of the WRX rounds (ironic because WRX moniker), besides I am not really holding out much hope for many Subarus being licensed if maybe 1 more.  

Well the GR ran in the Canadian World Rallycross round last year, so it would be a legit car for inclusion. 

Haven't heard anything about Vermont running the GJ at the Canadian round this year. They were very clear from the outset though that the car met World Rallycross regulations, so fingers crossed one (or both) cars are in action for at least one World round @gfRally !

gfRally said:

@tbtstt 

@ThierryNeuville 

As cool as it would be and the relationship they are building between Codies and IMG/FIA.  Adding all 12 rounds would change the Title to DiRT Rallycross by numbers alone (rally events vs rallycross events) and that would upset a lot of people here.  I would be a bit disappointed myself as much as I am starting to like RX and playing it side by side with you guys, my heart is always in stage rally.

I have been wondering lately if DiRT Rally is very much a BIG experiment, yea yea obvious EA it is, but could DR be laying the foundations for other spin off titles?  Maybe they are trying to prove to Codies that DiRT is still a profitable brand and there is still interest in a proper rally simulation.

I say this because of all the reused licensing (all cars thus far have been used previously), reusing an older EGO engine,  obviously testing EA for the first time, etc.   NOT THAT I AM DISAPPOINTED!  I like almost everything we have in the title.  I feel this way because of so much emphisis has been put into the Physics modeling and figuring out what works and doesn't with different locations.  This is just my gut feeling, take this all with a grain of salt.  

I totally agree with u @gfrally only i do think "if" Codemasters get the licensing and if they have to create the 12 tracks, i do think that there is a must to create more then 6 rallies.

But u also have to remind, that Rallycross is a quiet fast gameplay, I mean this is how a rallycross weekend will look like:
Each race is four laps (six in semis & final) including a Joker lap. The full event takes part over two days.
- 1 a 3 rounds free practice ( Shakedown)
- 4 heats ( total is 16 laps) ( 5 rallycross cars each heat)
- 2 semi finals ( total is 12 laps) ( 6 rallycross cars each heat)
- 1 Final ( total is 6 laps) ( 6 rallycross cars each heat)

The track lenght is +/- 1 km that means u will drive around 37 laps = 37 km distance each event. 
Thats compare to an rally event almost nothing.

I think now at elite level u got around 100 km stage each rally, that makes soon when everything is done (6 rallies in total) 600 km stage km  compare to 444km rallycross stage km ( 12 rounds)

I think in that case its not out numbering rally or so, beside that, developing a circuit is much easier then developing a rally stage ;-) in my opinion.

Still I think that the best way for Codemasters to handle this situation is:
Standard Pack: DiRT Rally ( Like now, little bit hillclimb, little bit rallycross, little bit rally)

And if u want u can buy DiRT add-on packs like , FIA World Rallycross , Paris-Dakar, ERC Rally Championship, Hillclimb,
If there is a lot of intrest in the add on.

At this stage it's difficult to know exactly how much RX content will be added to DiRT Rally as part of the Early Access scheme.

Accoding to the timeline there will be two RX updates: Pack and Expansion. Where did we get the info that 3 tracks will be released? Was it confirmed on DiRTy Show?

In any case it comes down to whether IMG insisted that a full season will be represented... Bearing in mind that Codies probably do not have the game budgets they used to and that World RX is still in development maybe they've agreed on tracks which are absolute classics and on new F1-venue based tracks.

Codies have research material for track environments at Hockenheim, Turkey and Barcelona from the F1 games. Would it be a huge amount of effort to modify the infield areas to replicate the RX layouts?

As @ThierryNeuville pointed out the Rally events in DR provide much more event duration and once the EAccess is over the 6 locations with 2 long environments each will make up the bulk of DR.

As to the idea for discipline packs: personally I would welcome a DiRT World RX as an add-on to DiRT Rally if it had all the tracks and at least RX Lites as support category for career progression.

That's just my view - I guess Codies will be able to gauge interest in RX content once they release it and read feedback on the announcement (surely it's likely to happen soon).

All in all I think DiRT Rally devs have planned content for Early Access months ago. I also think they expected to have the RX licence at some point so that they've modelled up tracks for development.

Any new locations for Rally or RX will be decided on based on how the Early Access goes and what people ask for.

Or they could decide to continue EA. I'm not sure what price they're aiming at for the final release, but judging by the tininess of the increases in price after the updates, I'd say there's probably still plenty of room for more content to be added before the game's ready for final release.

If they do decide to continue, I'm pretty sure we could have ourselves a couple more Hillclimbs as well as a tonne of not-yet-announced Rally content which would then make room for all the RX circuits whilst maintaining the balance between the three disciplines such that Rally is still the main focus and the Rallycross doesn't take over...

As far as I'm concerned, the game will be incomplete without the Safari Rally and full Mod Support anyway... and I'm quite certain they Codies don't really want to go down the paid DLC route right now, and I somehow doubt that decision will be changing any time soon.

Accoding to the timeline there will be two RX updates: Pack and Expansion. Where did we get the info that 3 tracks will be released? Was it confirmed on DiRTy Show?

In the timeline there is at July 2015:
Rallycross pack
Rallycross comes to DiRT Rally with two brand new circuits, a pack of rallycross super cars, a brand new single player career and of course fresh Online Events
In the timeline there is at August 2015
Rallycross Expansion
Launching alongside the PVP Pack we’re also adding new cars and a new Rallycross circuit to the DiRT Rally roster

As @ThierryNeuville pointed out the Rally events in DR provide much more event duration and once the EAccess is over the 6 locations with 2 long environments each will make up the bulk of DR.

As to the idea for discipline packs: personally I would welcome a DiRT World RX as an add-on to DiRT Rally if it had all the tracks and at least RX Lites as support category for career progression.

That's just my view - I guess Codies will be able to gauge interest in RX content once they release it and read feedback on the announcement (surely it's likely to happen soon).

I would like to see a DiRT World RX as an add- on too i think it will give more value to the game.
Looking forward for the information next week from the trip to Holjes by @kickup and @justbiglee :D