DiRTy Gossip

Ok, thanks. So, Sweden/Norway is pretty much confirmed then. Some reason i don´t believe that they would do Finland as a snow location. I can´t think any other snow location than Sweden, Norway or Monte Carlo and i believe that Monte is going to be mixed snow/tarmac if DLC. That is because Monte is only real rally that have these conditions. 

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2019/01/28/interview-ross-gowing-on-dirt-rally-2-0s-push-for-realism/

Interview with Ross. Not much new

- A few driver models to choose from, one of them looks like Jon (which we sort of knew from there being a female driver in the original trailer)
- Multiplayer definitely doesn't seem like leagues or clubs are in
- Stage deterioration is explained a little more

They could throw us for a loop with latvia but I agree with the rest
Could be, but does Latvia have any popular snow rally?

And it´s easier to make Sweden from Dirt rally 1. 

Rallywil1 said:

It does, but frankly:

- Swedish assets exist already
- Sweden is a popular, well known rally location associated with a winter rally
- Sweden would be unique amongst rallies in the game

There's no point in making a snow location anywhere else (OK, Norwegian scenery is basically the same) IMO.

JoeBlob21 said:
bit of Skoda gameplay :smile:

Further giving my "chase cam does not show off the game well" theory credence. I really hope 'hardcore' mode punishes the player for spending that long off the road (increased puncture risk, tyre wear, mechanical damage from overheating radiators etc). That guy's driving really makes the point that there doesn't seem to be a downside to going off the road into the verges.

I strongly doubt the chase cam users (all of whom should be most ashamed of themselves) would be using the hardcore damage model. I'm encouraged that the option exists, and I hope it takes no prisoners.

P.s I'm joking about chase cammers being ashamed of themselves. Your game, do what you like.

Rallywil1 said:

It does, but frankly:

There's no point in making a snow location anywhere else (OK, Norwegian scenery is basically the same) IMO.
The only thing that can stand in the way is the wrc thing again. They already got some flack for recreating Vargåsen too well if I remember correctly. But if that was the case they could simply move it across the border to Norway as you said. They barely need to make new assets for that as they are practically in the same forest. And recreate some Rally Finnskog stages and they would be good to go.

Probably won't happen but I'm just doing some wishful thinking as a Norwegian

Rallywil1 said:

It does, but frankly:

The only thing that can stand in the way is the wrc thing again. They already got some flack for recreating Vargåsen too well if I remember correctly. But if that was the case they could simply move it across the border to Norway as you said. They barely need to make new assets for that as they are practically in the same forest. And recreate some Rally Finnskog stages and they would be good to go.

There's no doubt winter is coming, I imagine there are just more things for the environment team to get right. I imagine snow banks, as Well as the surface will need to deform in a believable way. Which I imagine is a whole lot harder than banging a few ruts in here and there.

tbtstt said:
bogani said:
It could still be that it's only the good ol' 07 Focus and the 2001 Impreza though, which is good, but still kinda anticlimactic. 
Possibly but, given that it looked like we might have no 2000cc cars last week, I'll take something over nothing! 
What if it's not a teaser for 2000CC cars... but for S2000?
What if the 2000 was just... 2000 pages?

urgaffel said:
tbtstt said:
bogani said:
It could still be that it's only the good ol' 07 Focus and the 2001 Impreza though, which is good, but still kinda anticlimactic. 
Possibly but, given that it looked like we might have no 2000cc cars last week, I'll take something over nothing! 
What if it's not a teaser for 2000CC cars... but for S2000?
What if the 2000 was just... 2000 pages?
There is no casual conversation in the Gossip thread: everything is a code!

#MightHaveBeenInThisThreadTooLong

Rallystu2 said:
I strongly doubt the chase cam users (all of whom should be most ashamed of themselves) would be using the hardcore damage model. I'm encouraged that the option exists, and I hope it takes no prisoners.

P.s I'm joking about chase cammers being ashamed of themselves. Your game, do what you like.
Chase cam and pad player here. I have played both DR and D4 with all assists off (except the camera one obviously), and will do the same for DR2. One of my major peeves about Dirt 4 was how fearless difficulty was tied down to cockpit view, so I couldn't use it. 

I am sure there are more players like me who want an authentic experience even when playing in chase cam.

I have a small request for DR2.0: could we get a confirmation prompt when the player selects "Retire From Event"? Because sometimes the player might have clawed his way from 18th up to 2nd and with one stage left accidentally presses the wrong option.

Rallystu2 said:
Rallywil1 said:

It does, but frankly:

There's no doubt winter is coming, I imagine there are just more things for the environment team to get right. I imagine snow banks, as Well as the surface will need to deform in a believable way. Which I imagine is a whole lot harder than banging a few ruts in here and there.
Yeah, praise to Codemasters for taking on stage degradation - it's a huge task when you consider the number of different surfaces and conditions we're used to rally games taking place in/on.

It's completely different logic on tarmac (dry: gets slower throughout - wet: gets faster with a dry line), gravel (dry: gets faster for a while, then gradually slightly slower due to ruts - wet: gets slightly slower throughout), snow (fresh snow: sweeping effect on loose gravel, similar to gravel - 'dry': quickest running first, gradually gets slower and snowbanks disappear)

Is there any info on the career structure? Can I choose for example one car and finish my career with it or do I still need to hop from car to car? How do sponsors work and will there be some liveries to choose from with customizable colors? Really wondering how it'll work!

P308R said:
Is there any info on the career structure? Can I choose for example one car and finish my career with it or do I still need to hop from car to car? How do sponsors work and will there be some liveries to choose from with customizable colors? Really wondering how it'll work!
You can use the same car throughout your career. The structure will be similar to that of DR1.

Rallywil1 said:

It does, but frankly:

Their way of dealing with possible licensing issues is just change up the stages a little bit and move them to another part of the country.

I still don't fully understand how the wrc can license a privately owned road. The stage names maybe, but the road?

Rallystu2 said:
I still don't fully understand how the wrc can license a privately owned road. The stage names maybe, but the road?
WRC doesn't have a license for these roads. Codemasters have been advised by their own legal team there 'might' be legal trouble up ahead if they portray stages too close to the ones used in the WRC. 
They toned down the whole Colin's Crest area in Sweden because of that. It would have been filled with virtual spectators but they toned it down so it wouldn't be as easy to point it out. 

Everything is to prevent possible legal trouble that may lie ahead. 

I think it's more the: you have stages that look and are named the same as WRC and/or have WRC cars (Dirt Rally 1), therefore people might get confused and it's infringing on what we've licensed, sort of thing

bogani said:
Rallystu2 said:
WRC doesn't have a license for these roads. Codemasters have been advised by their own legal team there 'might' be legal trouble up ahead if they portray stages too close to the ones used in the WRC. 
They toned down the whole Colin's Crest area in Sweden because of that. It would have been filled with virtual spectators but they toned it down so it wouldn't be as easy to point it out. 

Everything is to prevent possible legal trouble that may lie ahead. 
That makes more sense I guess,  however, a lot of me says bo##@%s to that. I suppose the Collins crest areas etc can be difficult as they've really been 'branded'. Hmm. 

Rallystu2 said:
These things are usually a fairly grey area. Basically, can Codemasters be interpreted as trying to recreate the WRC 'brand' (intellectual property) without paying for it. A works VW Polo WRC (which only really ran in WRC, built to a ruleset owned by WRC) in official livery (which was only used in WRC) on a 1-to-1 named recreation of Ouninpohja (a stage only used in WRC) could be argued as such, much more than an R5 (FIA category car used in local championships around the world) in a livery which ran in BRC running on a stage based on a famous Finnish rallying stage but not named after it.

Hence games like The Crew can use WRC cars without much consequence, because they're never going to be interpreted as recreating the WRC, whereas DiRT Rally can be (arguably moreso than the licenced WRC games!). 

As I say, that's my best guess - it's not really black or white, but many shades of grey that lawyers can interpret. Each small step makes the grey area you're in a slightly paler shade. 

I suspect it's a similar issue with 2000s cars; they could be interpreted as being homologated by a WRC ruleset and thus incorporate WRC intellectual property, or they could be interpreted as being representative of cars used in B14 or A8 rally categories in regional rallies around the world. 

Rallystu2 said:
These things are usually a fairly grey area. Basically, can Codemasters be interpreted as trying to recreate the WRC 'brand' without paying for it. A works VW Polo WRC (which only really ran in WRC, built to a ruleset owned by WRC) in official livery (which was only used in WRC) on a 1-to-1 named recreation of Ouninpohja (a stage only used in WRC) could be argued as such, much more than an R5 (FIA category car) in a livery which ran in BRC running on a stage based on a famous Finnish rallying stage but not named after it.

Hence games like The Crew can use WRC cars without much consequence, because they're never going to be interpreted as recreating the WRC, whereas DiRT Rally can be (arguably moreso than the licenced WRC games!). 

As I say, that's my best guess - it's not really black or white, but many shades of grey that lawyers can interpret. Each small step makes the grey area you're in a slightly paler shade. 
Yea, I get it. Well, to me that says create some BRC rallies! 

Rallystu2 said:
Rallystu2 said:
These things are usually a fairly grey area. Basically, can Codemasters be interpreted as trying to recreate the WRC 'brand' without paying for it. A works VW Polo WRC (which only really ran in WRC, built to a ruleset owned by WRC) in official livery (which was only used in WRC) on a 1-to-1 named recreation of Ouninpohja (a stage only used in WRC) could be argued as such, much more than an R5 (FIA category car) in a livery which ran in BRC running on a stage based on a famous Finnish rallying stage but not named after it.

Yea, I get it. Well, to me that says create some BRC rallies! 
As long as you don't call them after the real names, use the real stages and names, call the top class 'BRC1' and use the driver and team names, you should be fine... Otherwise LICENSE!!!