DiRTy Gossip

2 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Oh cool, I can't save responses in drafts like it used to...

I have a 960 and the only thing I can say is... mixed results. Frankly I hope the graphics get an update. Sometimes I'll get 70fps, and sometimes I'll get 30. I'm no longer really able to play in triple screens like I could with DR and D4, even on low settings.

Running triples on a 960? Are you a mad man? Does that thing even have enough vRam to handle two screens?

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Oh cool, I can't save responses in drafts like it used to...

I have a 960 and the only thing I can say is... mixed results. Frankly I hope the graphics get an update. Sometimes I'll get 70fps, and sometimes I'll get 30. I'm no longer really able to play in triple screens like I could with DR and D4, even on low settings.

960 isn't a GTX 970, isn't there quite the perf gap? and honestly, it's pretty old, i'm not too surprised it's a little lumpy.

7 hours ago, urgaffel said:

Office Space is fantastic. It's a tragedy that so few people have seen it.

Office Space is up there with with Waiting.

Also remember Urgaffel, that no one here has seen Ferris Bueller either, since they all got pissy about that reference I made after yours.

Yes I'm still butthurt about it.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CatBadders said:

Running triples on a 960? Are you a mad man? Does that thing even have enough vRam to handle two screens?

It actually got me 60+ in DR on triples. D4 was more around 40-50. It also works with "previous gen" titles like a treat. Oh, and of course the current race sims because they haven't advanced in 10 years. Nudge nudge, wink wink, EGO engine.

5 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

960 isn't a GTX 970, isn't there quite the perf gap? and honestly, it's pretty old, i'm not too surprised it's a little lumpy.

True, but the performance is still shaky, even for other people in the group. It's not the most stable, and graphically it is pretty similar to D4, so I'm not sure why the framerate is so odd. Again why I'm hoping for some final polish on release.

Edited by JZStudios

Just now, JZStudios said:

It actually got me 60+ in DR on triples. D4 was more around 40-50.

True, but the performance is still shaky, even for other people in the group. It's not the most stable, and graphically it is pretty similar to D4, so I'm not sure why the framerate is so odd. Again why I'm hoping for some final polish on release.

CPU? Memory quantity and speeds? I've been noticing a lot of games starting to choke on memory throughput lately and having faster memory for the first time in many years is actually starting to have an impact. 

Just now, CatBadders said:

CPU? Memory quantity and speeds? I've been noticing a lot of games starting to choke on memory throughput lately and having faster memory for the first time in many years is actually starting to have an impact. 

It's just an FX8350 and... I don't know, some standard DDR3 Mushkin ram. Windows only lets me use 16gb. I don't have the money to switch to an entirely new platform, but what's amazing is that Nvidia is still selling "gaming" GPU's with 3gb of ram.

6 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

It's just an FX8350 and... I don't know, some standard DDR3 Mushkin ram. Windows only lets me use 16gb. I don't have the money to switch to an entirely new platform, but what's amazing is that Nvidia is still selling "gaming" GPU's with 3gb of ram.

16gb should be plenty for most things, and way more than enough for any game. I'd suspect we're hitting that point where dev's are starting to "abuse" the fact most people have switched to DDR4 which has higher base clocks; may not even be a fully conscious decision either but due to new libs using more aggressive implementations. Only say this because DR2.0 would not be the first game I've seen to get noticeable performance gains by OC'ing the memory and loosening the timings. But I can't test that for at least 9 more days =P

RAM speeds are not that significant, you won't notice much of a difference from DDR3 to a DDR4. You're better off spending the money on a more powerful graphic card, CPU 2nd.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, AIPacino said:

RAM speeds are not that significant, you won't notice much of a difference from DDR3 to a DDR4. You're better off spending the money on a more powerful graphic card, CPU 2nd.

You would be very surprised how impactful they can be for some games. At least with higher resolutions/ultrawides. Yes, you need a decent GPU behind it first but I've seen people get 20fps gains on a 980 just by going from 1600mhz -> 2133mhz. Doesn't work on every game out there, but it's a trend I've noticed since probably around late 2017.

3 minutes ago, CatBadders said:

You would be very surprised how impactful they can be for some games. At least with higher resolutions/ultrawides. Yes, you need a decent GPU behind it first but I've seen people get 20fps gains on a 980 just by going from 1600mhz -> 2133mhz. Doesn't work on every game out there, but it's a trend I've noticed since probably around late 2017.

That's quite odd, as RAM speeds aren't known for such FPS gains or being speed deciders. Probably some different kind of programming implemented on those games. Good to know that anyway, as I might build a new PC soon.

I've got this one for 6 years, equipped with an i7 4770, a GTX 770 and 16GB DDR3. While it still runs nicely, it's starting to feel old, specially the GPU due to it being only 2GB. I mean it runs Forza Horizon 4 smoothly on Medium (around 50 FPS), but the VRAM warning keeps popping up.

Edited by AIPacino

1 minute ago, AIPacino said:

That's quite odd, as RAM speeds aren't known for such FPS gains or being speed deciders. Probably some different kind of programming implemented on those games. Good to know that anyway, as I might build a new PC soon.

I've got this one for 6 years, equipped with an i7 4770, a GTX 770 and 16GB DDR3

Lol I'm right there with you, only reason I found it out is because I'm running a 3770k w/ 16gb DDR3@1600hz and a 1080ti. I think the first game I noticed it on was PUBG and then subsequent UE4 games, but I was able to add 10-20fps consistently across the entire match just by tweaking my memory one weekend. Like I said, it shouldn't affect things that much and just like you mention it won't impact it as much as going from a 960 -> 1080, but it has been able to make some performance gains in newer games. Just something to keep in mind

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

More Galway footage online:

Watching this makes me even keener to give the R5 Fiesta a blast in DR2.0! 

• Like 2

I lost faith in the Fiesta when it was no match against the Polo in DiRT Rally in terms of speed. Almost no torque on 6th gear.

I want to see how it is in the R5 group now.

Edited by AIPacino

2 minutes ago, AIPacino said:

I lost faith in the Fiesta when it was no match against the Polo in DiRT Rally in terms of speed. Almost no torque on 6th gear.

I want to see how it is in the R5 group now.

No match for the Polo?!?!?! I think you're driving it wrong... Fiesta has carried me through most of my league events ahead of many Polos - even DannyBoy's. And I race it stock. Though he does have ~8sec on my first shakedown run in Wales Sweet Lamb. Gonna have to work on that tonight when I get home...

Edited by CatBadders

I thought the Fiesta WRC was much slower than the Polo until I watched one of @Rallycameraman's runs at Monte Carlo: I went back to it after that! 

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, CatBadders said:

No match for the Polo?!?!?! I think you're driving it wrong... Fiesta has carried me through most of my league events ahead of many Polos - even DannyBoy's. And I race it stock. Though he does have ~8sec on my first shakedown run in Wales Sweet Lamb. Gonna have to work on that tonight when I get home...

Yeah, the Fiesta wins in handling, on rallies like Greece and Monte Carlo, but then it loses big time in rallies with more straights like Germany, Finland, Sweden. The most bizarre difference was in Finland where you can see just how much more power the Polo has on 6th gear, it reaches top speed a lot faster. Also I lost to a Polo in Germany with perfect driving by 9 seconds throughout 6 stages, and after watching the replays I lost it all on the straights. I messed up a stage in Greece, that's a fact and probably what decided the tournament, but I could've easily won Germany if it wasn't for the lack of torque. I'm driving on the left, that's just Wales though.

Edited by AIPacino
  • Like 2

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but to those who were complaining about the red borders on the forum, I just discovered you can change it to grey in the options, just click your name in the top right of screen and select alt theme and presto, no more jarring red edges attacking your eyeballs.

Edited by Rygar86
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Rygar86 said:

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but to those who were complaining about the red borders on the forum, I just discovered you can change it to grey in the options, just click your name in the top right of screen and select alt theme and presto, no more jarring red edges attacking your eyeballs.

Cheers that's much better.

• Like 1

oh yeah, I'll concede that point @AIPacino, the only way I held it together on Germany was to stretch the gearing a ton for the Fiesta which I really hated doing. 6th gear doesn't like to climb hills and doesn't really add nearly as much to your top speed as it does in the Polo; and it takes longer to get there like you said. But outside of doing like top #50 runs for the 2010s, I think all of them honestly are pretty evenly matched. Just excited I get my Fiesta back for 2.0 :classic_biggrin:

And I just hope the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI runs like it should this time 😄 it felt so slow and heavy in DiRT4 that it could nowhere compete with the Focus and the Impreza. That car is a blast.

• Agree 1

Haha just read an article that one of the rounds for the British Tarmac Championship will be driven in Wervik (West-Flanders) which is about 20 km from where I live. Are there really that few tarmac rallies in the UK?

24 minutes ago, Rygar86 said:

frikin love you mate!

• Like 1

I've used Stylus myself, not gonna bother until there's night mode to choose from ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by versedi