DiRTy Gossip

42 minutes ago, Rallystu2 said:

Too little, too late? It's less than a month after release.

We have 6 months of live service, so I'm sure all creases will be ironed out.

People seem to think foxes happen immediately, which just isn’t true. The amount of comments on FB and Twitter I saw saying ‘it’s been a week, still no patch!’ How long do you people think it takes to do this stuff?

• Agree 6

Shockingly most people expected it to be working properly when they bought the game so I'm sure you can forgive people's impatience. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Been out of it for a little while and everyone gets delusions of entitlement...   

I'll go back to my carbon freeze block now

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Some people just can't see the bigger picture and instead focus only on the negative points, which is sad because this game and this team really deserves it. I just hope sales and reviews come back up after this mist takes off. Instead of raging and spamming the forums with outrage and flames, it would be so much better for everyone to report bugs in an organized and educated manner, with as much constructive feedback as possible, and it would be so much easier and faster for the team to get to patching. But I guess that's just how the world works.

I just hope as well that for the misbehave of some, the whole doesn't pay the price, which is a total development cut-off at the end of S2.

Edited by Riggs
  • Agree 12

Well, regarding the FFB I understand that it takes time to implement properly. But game-breaking issues ? Roundabout 4 weeks is too long in my opinion. And then a patch that is supposed to fix stuff, but doesn´t in certain situations (for example the Audio cutting out; which is STILL happening).

I can only compare DR 2.0 to all the other games I played. And I can´t remember one that took almost 4 weeks to patch game-breaking stuff; most of them didn´t even have game-breaking stuff on release (if any). Now of course, just because I say I don´t remember a game taking this long to patch doesn´t mean there wasn´t one; I of course don´t play everything; and especially when it comes to racing games Dirt Rally 1 and 2.0 (and the good old RBR) are the only Racing games I play anymore; got bored of Track-Racing a long time ago. Now, as I said; I´m only talking about game-breaking stuff; like the Audio cut-outs, people loosing their Career-progress etc.; not smaller things like textures not alligning correctly or Stages being too dark.

One mustn´t forget that this  isn´t a racing game/Rally game from a new developer with a new engine. Codemasters is doing these type of games for decades now; and is using the EGO engine for over 10 years now (since Colin McRae Dirt in 2007).

But yes, I guess all the major bugs will be squished in time. But every time I play the game, and I enjoy it there are new things I discover that are missing that the predecessors had. Yesterday or example less options in the Setup-Menu; for example positive camber and fast rebound; I didn´t check ALL of the cars, but it was missing in all the ones I tested. The first Dirt Rally was pretty bare-bones; Dirt Rally 2.0 is even more bare-bones on release. I really did expect Codemasters would take all the stuff that worked in DR 1 and D4 and combined it into one awesome package; but no, they even went backwards when compared to Dirt Rally 1 in terms of content/the overall package.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Civarello said:

Well, regarding the FFB I understand that it takes time to implement properly. But game-breaking issues ? Roundabout 4 weeks is too long in my opinion. And then a patch that is supposed to fix stuff, but doesn´t in certain situations (for example the Audio cutting out; which is STILL happening).

I can only compare DR 2.0 to all the other games I played. And I can´t remember one that took almost 4 weeks to patch game-breaking stuff; most of them didn´t even have game-breaking stuff on release (if any). Now of course, just because I say I don´t remember a game taking this long to patch doesn´t mean there wasn´t one; I of course don´t play everything; and especially when it comes to racing games Dirt Rally 1 and 2.0 (and the good old RBR) are the only Racing games I play anymore; got bored of Track-Racing a long time ago. Now, as I said; I´m only talking about game-breaking stuff; like the Audio cut-outs, people loosing their Career-progress etc.; not smaller things like textures not alligning correctly or Stages being too dark.

One mustn´t forget that this  isn´t a racing game/Rally game from a new developer with a new engine. Codemasters is doing these type of games for decades now; and is using the EGO engine for over 10 years now (since Colin McRae Dirt in 2007).

But yes, I guess all the major bugs will be squished in time. But every time I play the game, and I enjoy it there are new things I discover that are missing that the predecessors had. Yesterday or example less options in the Setup-Menu; for example positive camber and fast rebound; I didn´t check ALL of the cars, but it was missing in all the ones I tested. The first Dirt Rally was pretty bare-bones; Dirt Rally 2.0 is even more bare-bones on release. I really did expect Codemasters would take all the stuff that worked in DR 1 and D4 and combined it into one awesome package; but no, they even went backwards when compared to Dirt Rally 1 in terms of content/the overall package.

Here's a fine example, considering everything you've said in your post: Assassins Creed Unity. Check it out.

Plus, DR2.0 has the same content as DR1 at launch, perhaps even more if you consider the cars. Same amount of rallies and overall better in every field. It's just buggy and that's what's going to be ironed out in the coming weeks. And better yet: content rollout isn't affected.

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Civarello said:

The Division 2 - bugs reported in closed beta are still not fixed. That's over 4 weeks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Here's a fine example, considering everything you've said in your post: Assassins Creed Unity

Check it out.

I know about Unity. It ran like **** on release, had bad bugs (everybody remembers the faces without skin) etc. But I was talking specifically about game breaking stuff, and not buggy releases in general; and I specifically talked about the time-span. I don´t remember Unity erasing peoples progress. But of course that doesn´t mean that Unity was acceptable. A better example would have been Fallout 76; that one REALLY had some game-breakers on release. But again, it didn´t take Bethesda 4 weeks to fix the most glaring ones after they were acknowledged. I didn´t buy Fallout 76, because for me personally even Fallout 4 was a HUGE letdown regarding the name and roots of the franchise; but what I witnessed at a friends house in 76 was pretty sad.

And regarding the game and the team deserve to concentrate on the bigger picture: I guess one could say that Codemasters should have done the same during development.

@ Versedi: Are these game-breaking bugs ? I specifically was talking about the more severe stuff; not bugs in general. I have even written it down 2 times. I am fully aware that some bugs can take a good amount of time to fix; but that wasn´t my point.

But as I said; my main gripes with the game aren´t the bugs anymore; even though I also think the release was (way) too early. What really brings my experience down is still the Always-Online-Stuff and that DR 2.0 is even more barebones than DR1.

Just to note something positive so that I´m not ONLY negative: The pure driving-experience is still awesome, and a step up from DR1. The Stages are also great and  well designed.  I REALLY hope we will see my favorites from DR 1 in DR 2.0 as well; Wales and Greece. I´m looking forward to drive these Events with the improved handling.

Edited by Civarello
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Civarello said:

All cars don't have all settings, simply because the settings are available on the real life cars. Older shocks didn't have fast/slow rebound, newer cars have them and can set the threshold between them. This is an actual improvement of the barebones setup of DR1, where the suspension is modeled more accurately in DR2. 

Edited by Dytut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Dytut said:

All cars don't have all settings, simply because the settings are available on the real life cars. Older shocks didn't have fast/slow rebound, newer cars have them and can set the threshold between them. This is an actual improvement of the barebones setup of DR1, where the suspension is modeled more accurately in DR2. 

I have now checked ingame; and no, the modern Rally-cars don´t have fast rebound; checked the R4 and R5 cars. They have slow rebound, and slow bump/fast bump, but no fast rebound like in DR 1 and D4. 

Regarding the content on release in DR and DR 2.0: Hillclimb makes up for a huge chunk of missing stuff; that´s one whole Mode of play missing. Or another, albeit rather small thing (next to all the other stuff): Where are the Community-Delta-Times in DR 2.0 ?

Edited by Civarello

3 hours ago, RallyDriven said:

People seem to think foxes happen immediately

True. It takes about two months to produce a fox.

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Civarello said:

I have now checked ingame; and no, the modern Rally-cars don´t have fast rebound; checked the R4 and R5 cars. They have slow rebound, and slow bump/fast bump, but no fast rebound like in DR 1 and D4. 

Regarding the content on release in DR and DR 2.0: Hillclimb makes up for a huge chunk of missing stuff; that´s one whole Mode of play missing. Or another, albeit rather small thing (next to all the other stuff): Where are the Community-Delta-Times in DR 2.0 ?

Hillclimb has been cut because only a very tiny minority played it and resources would be better allocated in Rally and RallyCross, where the majority of the players are. Hillclimb was a bonus in DR1, compare the RX content from DR1 to DR2. Rally content is the same as DR1 at launch and it's getting expanded from tuesday on.

While there's still no Delta Times, there's a lot more community events still.

Edited by Riggs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Hillclimb has been cut because only a very tiny minority played it and resources would be better allocated in Rally and RallyCross, where the majority of the players are. Hillclimb was a bonus in DR1, compare the RX content from DR1 to DR2. Rally content is the same as DR1 at launch and it's getting expanded from tuesday on.

While there's still no Delta Times, there's a lot more community events still.

I personally LOVED Hillclimb in DR 1. Rallycross on the other hand is still not my cup of tea; but that has something to do with the fact that Codemasters seems to have problems to create an AI in this mode that is fun to drive against. Either they´re too slow in certain parts, or way too fast, or act as if Rally-X was some kind of destruction-derby-event.

And how was Hillclimb a Bonus in DR 1 ? It was part of the overall package, and was released during the Early Access-phase; it wasn´t a small side-activity that was put into the game as an afterthought. They even released the full gravel-layout of Pikes Peak after release.

I would get that for leaving out Hillclimb they could concentrate on adding more stuff in Rally and Rally-X. But that´s not the case; it´s the same amount of Events and Stages as in DR 1; there are not more events in the game now with Hillclimb missing.

I will try and rush through my championship this evening and see if monte actually works, seems strange that I’m the only one who appears to have it!

• Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Civarello said:

And how was Hillclimb a Bonus in DR 1 ? It was part of the overall package, and was released during the Early Access-phase; it wasn´t a small side-activity that was put into the game as an afterthought. They even released the full gravel-layout of Pikes Peak after release.

After other games companies saw the reaction D:R received, one of them exclusively licensed Pikes Peak, meaning Codies couldn't use it again.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Rallystu2 said:

Too little, too late? It's less than a month after release.

We have 6 months of live service, so I'm sure all creases will be ironed out.

You mean it's been weeks since release and only now gamebreaking bugs are being fixed and basic functionality being implemented.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, chukonu said:

You mean it's been weeks since release and only now gamebreaking bugs are being fixed and basic functionality being implemented.

Game breaking? What is game breaking, my game seems to be running just fine. Are there some annoying things? Yeah, of course, but 90% of the game works great and the other 10% has some kinks that need to get worked out. Sounds like any game on release.

Edited by Mike Dee
  • Agree 6

Game breaking? Occasional racenet issues aren't Game breaking. 

Basic functionality? Like what? Being able to pick a car and race it? That's already in.

• Like 1

I get that DR2 is not nearly as bad as people say, but there's the fact that the game doesn't seem to sell as well as its predecessor. I get that people shouldn't be so critical, but they are the ones who decide where the money goes, it's up to Codies to make them want to spend in the game...

1 hour ago, Riggs said:

Hillclimb has been cut because only a very tiny minority played it and resources would be better allocated in Rally and RallyCross, where the majority of the players are. 

Hillclimb was destined to be a part of DiRT 4 (and surely would have featured in DR2.0) until Polyphony exclusively licensed Pikes Peak... 

...at this point I would love to know why, as its been several years and there has been zero mention of it in any recent GT title! 

Damn shame, as that was one of my frequently played environments in DR1: gravel Pikes Peak and the E2 quattro = gaming bliss! 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Rallystu2 said:

Game breaking? Occasional racenet issues aren't Game breaking. 

Basic functionality? Like what? Being able to pick a car and race it? That's already in.

People loosing their game-progress isn´t game-breaking ? And even IF these things don´t happen so often anymore, as long as the Online-requirement is in place this stuff can always happen again. The sound still cutting out, even after the patch isn´t very beneficial either. Especially if that happens during an Online-Event and you get a dnf because of that.

And my point wasn´t Pikes Peak in particular. But that DR 2.0 is a lighter package on release than BOTH DR 1 and D4. And sorry, I personally wouldn´t  expect a follow up to have even less stuff/features than an already pretty bare-bones predecessor (DR1).

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Civarello said:

The sound still cutting out, even after the patch isn´t very beneficial either. Especially if that happens during an Online-Event and you get a dnf because of that.

You dont need to abort the stage. Press pause, then Alt+Tab, Sound settings, change ausdio source then back to your standard one and come back to game and sound should be back. Worked in my case.

But this is a workaround and not a proper solution.....

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, FearFactor said:

You dont need to abort the stage. Press pause, then Alt+Tab, Sound settings, change ausdio source then back to your standard one and come back to game and sound should be back. Worked in my case.

But this is a workaround and not a proper solution.....

Thanks for the workaround. Appreciated. But of course that doesn´t help when you´re already in the ditch 🙂

• Haha 1

Game breaking or not, a LOT of people who bought dirt4 felt betrayed when CM let the game alone. These people now read about bugs in dirt rally 2.0 and the lack of communication from CM. Remember we only got to know what was in the patch 1 day before.

It isn't strange that most of these people with a bad experience now say NO THANKS to CM. To me it is a strange company who does not have a good feel for customers and make questionable choices. F.i. why bring DLC if your base game is not state of the art?

And the worst thing is that it could be such a good game without all that unwanted errors. See this forum, there is barely a topic of people having a blast with the game, it is just people annoyed with problems.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Janneman60 said:

These people now read about bugs in dirt rally 2.0 and the lack of communication from CM.

I think we all totally get where you are coming from on this, but people (like the internet always does) are blowing things out of proportion. Lack of comms? We have Christina on here basically daily giving some communication, sure it may not be a massive roadbook but it isn't radio silence. I think we'd all love more communication on exactly what is being worked on, but priorities change constantly so I can also see why Codies won't commit to a lot of things that aren't slated for the immediate next patch or so.

4 minutes ago, Janneman60 said:

why bring DLC if your base game is not state of the art?

Because the team doing DLC work is not the same team doing bug fixes. The art and asset team isn't going to be able to magically fix audio problems or overhaul the handling model for FFB. So why let them as a resource go to waste? They had been spun off onto the DR1 location overhaul project months and months ago, not a few weeks ago at release. Regardless of 2.0 having a buggy launch or a flawless launch, that resource had been allocated and was going to get their deliverable done by the planned date. 

8 minutes ago, Janneman60 said:

there is barely a topic of people having a blast with the game, it is just people annoyed with problems.

Because people who are upset tend to have the loudest voice and most motivation to make that voice heard - the people who are happy are busy racing. And how many times can you bump the same thread that says "this game is great, I love feature X, Y, and Z" before people move on to talking about new things? About new features they want? About new challenges the community hosts?

• Agree 5