DiRTy Gossip

13 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The interesting thing about Rally and RX is that different areas prefer one over the other.

In Europe historic rally is a big thing for players, whereas in the Americas they tend to like the more modern stuff, and the RX events in particular.

Americans should learn from us Europeans about historical rallies. on August 30th / 31st I have the historical European championship and italian championship right under my house. 

• Agree 2

introduce real, hardcore damages. getting to the end of a special stage is too simple without a real damage system

36223169_1855556218080150_9110334463333629952_n-1200x675.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, ale81udine said:

Americans should learn from us Europeans about historical rallies. on August 30th / 31st I have the historical European championship and italian championship right under my house. 

you answered your own question.

in Europe, there are historic rallies quite frequently, and modern ones too.

in the Americas, there aren't many rallies at all. ok, there are WRC events in Chile and Argentina, and Dakar in those two plus Bolivia, but these happen in remote locations, especially Dakar. they're known locally, but not across the country. the sport just doesn't have roots.

Posted (edited)
I read that someone does not like KIT CAR, I remember that they are part of the recent modern era, the 90s. on dry asphalt they were very fast, thanks to their low weight compared to the A8 / WRC group they managed to stay very high in the overall classification. Do not forget the two absolute victories of Philippe Bulgaski on Citroen Xsara in the Tour de Corse and Catalunya 1999 rallies. They have subsequently gained weight for this reason. I recommend watching some videos of Jean Ragnotti on how to drive a FWD group A and Kit car to the limit

kit_car_5.jpg

Edited by ale81udine
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, ianism said:

in the Americas, there aren't many rallies at all.

The only American-based rally I've really watched were Subaru's Launch Control videos on YouTube.

They're great videos and the team's obviously strong, but I get the impression Subaru Rally Team USA is the only "works" outfit in that Championship (I tend to enjoy watching factory teams slugging it out on motorsport moreso than privateers).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't think Americans (North America) or Europeans dont particular prefer rally or rallycross. I think its more of the background from the cultures. Usually in America they tend to keep things more easier to understand and like to have a show. With Rallycross that is easier to do than with Rally, which in general is quite difficult to follow live.  Next to that I also am not completly sure the European format of RX will work well in ARX.

It was also cool to see the GRC format which was based on position. Who won or was second in the qualifying race, continued to the final. The others were in a LCQ, where most would still go to the final, where 8-10 cars would start in a longer final, still able to get to the podium with some luck. I think this format fits more the American culture which is also applied to a lot of other American sports.

I think ARX is lucky they have/had drivers like Block, Pastrana, Foust, Speed, Arpin and teams like Andretti, Hoonigan and Subaru to get more attention. Without them it would be really difficult to build it bigger. A lot of American motorsport enthousiats know them and also visit/watch events because of them, but i think drivers like Atkinson, Sandell, Higgins are almost unknown there with the wider audience.  And with the well known drivers and teams, you can ofcourse also create other big drivers.

In Europe maybe more people know/like/follow rally. Though Rallycross has been populair for decades in certain countries (UK, Scandinavia), but in recent years with the WRX i think it has become more populair in a lot of countries. It also helps f.e. that Kevin Abbring is now doing well in WRX, so that gets more Dutch people their attention. But I think a simalar effect happens with drivers like Chris Hoy, Duval, Ide. Same should also happen with ARX, to promote that series, with some more drivers like Deegan, Piquet, Rhys Millen...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

The only American-based rally I've really watched were Subaru's Launch Control videos on YouTube.

They're great videos and the team's obviously strong, but I get the impression Subaru Rally Team USA is the only "works" outfit in that Championship (I tend to enjoy watching factory teams slugging it out on motorsport moreso than privateers).

Your pretty much spot on.  A few have tried to bring Ford over (KB and Tim O'Neal) but ironically Ford isn't interested in its own market.  A works Ford team is pretty much doomed here since Ford decided to only sell SUV's and Trucks as of 2020.

Yes, it gets boring some watching Subaru dominate, but this season has been better!  There are a few privateers this year that are giving them  good competition.  Also quite a few are bringing MSport R5's over to race.  Unfortunately for Subaru, they have been running into some mechanical issues this year, but it has made for an exciting season.

One thing to note about Subaru here, is they do a lot of promotion for American Rally and have a fairly good contingency/support program for privateers running Subaru cars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We need this for DiRT Rally, but than an RX track editor.

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/35255-jorritvd’s-suggestions-for-dirt-rally-20/?tab=comments#comment-406064

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/31852-dirt-rx-possible-rallycross-content/

Imagine you can create your own RX track on Battersea, or DirtFish, or a parking lot in Las Vegas (GRC style), or on airstrip, or a field, or a forrest, or a short oval, or something abondened place 😛 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gfRally said:

Your pretty much spot on.  A few have tried to bring Ford over (KB and Tim O'Neal) but ironically Ford isn't interested in its own market.  A works Ford team is pretty much doomed here since Ford decided to only sell SUV's and Trucks as of 2020.

Yes, it gets boring some watching Subaru dominate, but this season has been better!  There are a few privateers this year that are giving them  good competition.  Also quite a few are bringing MSport R5's over to race.  Unfortunately for Subaru, they have been running into some mechanical issues this year, but it has made for an exciting season.

One thing to note about Subaru here, is they do a lot of promotion for American Rally and have a fairly good contingency/support program for privateers running Subaru cars.

Ford isn't particularly interested in backing official programmes in most of rallying to be honest, M-Sport have been fighting a lot in the last few years for more support... 

4 hours ago, JorritVD said:

We need this for DiRT Rally, but than an RX track editor.

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/35255-jorritvd’s-suggestions-for-dirt-rally-20/?tab=comments#comment-406064

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/31852-dirt-rx-possible-rallycross-content/

Imagine you can create your own RX track on Battersea, or DirtFish, or a parking lot in Las Vegas (GRC style), or on airstrip, or a field, or a forrest, or a short oval, or something abondened place 😛 

OMG that would be so great. And it looks do-able as we had Your Stage system... 🙏

8 hours ago, ale81udine said:

I read that someone does not like KIT CAR, I remember that they are part of the recent modern era, the 90s. on dry asphalt they were very fast, thanks to their low weight compared to the A8 / WRC group they managed to stay very high in the overall classification. Do not forget the two absolute victories of Philippe Bulgaski on Citroen Xsara in the Tour de Racing and Catalunya 1999 rallies. They have subsequently gained weight for this reason. I recommend watching some videos of Jean Ragnotti on how to drive a FWD group A and Kit car to the limit

kit_car_5.jpg

Anyone who doesn't like kit cars is mad, because they are awesome!

8 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The Launch Control seasons continually seem to better themselves, can't wait for the new season to start. As you say Subaru are the dominant force as they are the only permanent works outfit. 

Incidentally, "Easier Said Than Done" is a great watch and provides another look at rally in the US. 

On 7/8/2019 at 4:07 PM, ianism said:

I'm not too interested in the Mini. it doesn't help that Bennett has has been super unimpressive in it. more cars are always welcome though.

I can see them doing another two or three RX tracks, and 2 cars to release along with each, like how we're getting the Group B RX cars with Estering and Latvia. cars that currently run in the WRX are the most likely... then ARX cars after

so this is just my list of WRX cars I think are the most likely:

• Mini of course, I think it's almost certain to make an appearance eventually
  • Renault Clio GCK (which you forgot 😉)
  • Hyundai i20 (hopefully hopefully)
  • SEAT Ibiza maybe
  • Skoda Fabia maybe
  • Citroen DS3 hasn't been run regularly since 2016, so I don't see it happening unless they do like a throwback RX month and include it with the Hoonigan Focus or something. really unlikely.

then after that who knows? there's already a couple of Fiesta RXs and a Polo R in the game, so I think those are unlikely, but ones I think we could get:

• Beetle would be amazing.
  • Focus is less likely but you never know.

I agree with regards to the MINI Cooper: it has been an underwhelming car thus far and I am not that bothered about seeing it...

...perhaps controversially I also think the same about the MINI Countryman. It has had little international success and there are a lot of other rallycross Supercars I'd rather see. 

The i20 is the car I'd really like to see as that would complete the 2018 line up. I really like the Seat Ibiza as well, so hopefully that makes the jump from DiRT 4. 

I hoped that the Oliver Solberg connection might give us the Citroen DS3 (with a Petter livery or two as well). My favourite car to see in action of the last few years, plus I loved driving it in DR1 and D4 as it goes sideways alot. 

• Like 1

The i20 and the Seat Ibiza are the only supercars I would want to see added

Ollie Bennett is already in the game with a Fiesta livery so adding his Mini too would seem a little strange, even though he only raced the Fiesta once in 2017 (I think)

Still holding out hope for the Mini Classic Rallycross to come with Lydden Hill, hell I'd take a whole separate dlc with those 2 bundled if it came down to it 

1 minute ago, MattyH1812 said:

Ollie Bennett is already in the game with a Fiesta livery so adding his Mini too would seem a little strange, even though he only raced the Fiesta once in 2017 (I think)

Still holding out hope for the Mini Classic Rallycross to come with Lydden Hill, hell I'd take a whole separate dlc with those 2 bundled if it came down to it 

In the World Championship? Yeah, just once if I remember rightly (at Lydden). He has used it a bit in the UK Championship and Chris Hoy drove it in Barcelona earlier this year. Interestingly Oliver Solberg drove the MINI at the tail end of last year, would love to know what sort of lap times he got out of the car...

...I personally think Bennett would have been better off using the proven Fiesta in the World Championship instead of trying to develop a new car in that environment.

And I agree: Lydden and the classic Mini would awesome! 

10 hours ago, ale81udine said:

introduce real, hardcore damages. getting to the end of a special stage is too simple without a real damage system

Seriously... I did a club event in Monte Carlo the other week with hardcore damage.

I popped a tyre on stage 4 of 12 and busted up the radiator a bit. The first service stop wasn't until Stage 9. I was able to drive on a front rim, with a radiator in yellow, and the engine knocking by stage 5 all the way until the very end. I made it to the service stop.

I drove 5 stages, 3 of which were LONGS, in Monte with a car I was expecting to DNF by the end of the next stage. It survived like a champ the entire time. I messed up a ton hitting stuff because of how bad the handling was and how bent the wheel geometry was. The radiator was literally at less than 10% and the engine was at like 35% when I made it to the service stop. Wheel geometry was in the 30% range too.

How the hell am I allowed to finish 2 sprints and 3 longs, on a rim with a knocking engine that won't go above 65mph and a radiator that won't even hold fluid?!?!?

Seriously, if you are giving us hardcore damage make it hurt. I shouldn't be able to casually screw around on a 9 stage event without service stops and still comfortably finish with only a beat up car. The basic damage model back in DR1 would have had me DNF'd by the 3rd stage. When we used to do Finland events with a service every 5 stages you were forced to brake check the jumps if you wanted any chance to finish. Now though? Smash into a wall, lose a tire, have a knock in your engine and you'll be just fine. You might be slow, but if you can deal with a 45 minute slow drive to the next service stop you won't DNF. Everything about that is wrong. Everything.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'm really frustrated right now.

Started a club league race and in the very first Special Stage i got...the sound-cutting-out bug again.

Tried my best but crashed due to trying watching at the rev limiter, the arrow sign calls and the road ahead at the same time.

Lost the lights and got a puncture in a night stage.

Over 2 minutes behind the leader already.

Inacceptable Codemasters and you know that.

You wanna go eSports this autumn with that bug?

I know its difficult to locate the bug, because it happens random, but you really have to focus on finding a permanent solution to prevent this at all times.

It's game breaking.

I would even say to completely focus on fixing this over everything else.

7 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

I'm really frustrated right now.

Started a club league race and in the very first Special Stage i got...the sound-cutting-out bug again.

Tried my best but crashed due to trying watching at the rev limiter, the arrow sign calls and the road ahead at the same time.

Lost the lights and got a puncture in a night stage.

Over 2 minutes behind the leader already.

Inacceptable Codemasters and you know that.

You wanna go eSports this autumn with that bug?

I know its difficult to locate the bug, because it happens random, but you really have to focus on finding a permanent solution to prevent this at all times.

It's game breaking.

I would even say to completely focus on fixing this over everything else.

You seem to be having this bug more than most, so it really makes me curious about your setup. @F2CMaDMaXX I'm sure could dig into it better than I could, but what audio setup are you using? Headphones, speakers, tv/monitor, surround? What are your ingame settings for audio? What about your windows settings? Any special software running that mixes/enhances the audio? Have you tried switching audio channels to a different output when this happens? Do you have music or anything playing in the background that continues to play even when the game cuts out?

The rate at which I've seen this bug happen to you makes me wonder if your system is somehow dropping the audio-out and setting it to something else. What would be weird about that though is that I have 3 or 4 different audio devices connected to my PC at any given time, more if I enable the audio drivers on my monitors but I haven't had a audio drop since the first few weeks. Seems like something is hijacking your audio though.

I also notice this bug. I only have a pair of headphones plugged into my system. I've not tried dr2 since the 1.6 patch, but all prior versions had it. It's like an audio duck effect. When it occurs, I can only hear the gravel hitting the car underside audio effect, and there's some kind of duck effect that mutes all other channels. Perhaps it's related to audio buffer overflow, perhaps too many messages are being sent (osd perhaps). It'll stay that way if continue the stages without returning to FE. If I return to FE, the loading screen removes the duck effect and everything works ok.

I'll do a few tests when I spin up the game to see if the issue can be isolated. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

You seem to be having this bug more than most, so it really makes me curious about your setup. @F2CMaDMaXX I'm sure could dig into it better than I could, but what audio setup are you using? Headphones, speakers, tv/monitor, surround? What are your ingame settings for audio? What about your windows settings? Any special software running that mixes/enhances the audio? Have you tried switching audio channels to a different output when this happens? Do you have music or anything playing in the background that continues to play even when the game cuts out?

The rate at which I've seen this bug happen to you makes me wonder if your system is somehow dropping the audio-out and setting it to something else. What would be weird about that though is that I have 3 or 4 different audio devices connected to my PC at any given time, more if I enable the audio drivers on my monitors but I haven't had a audio drop since the first few weeks. Seems like something is hijacking your audio though.

I just play alot, I think.

Usually 3-5 hours per day since deluxe release on average. Every single day so far.

Get it every 2-3 hours once average I would say.

My setup is very simple: X-Box One S connected to a 42" Samsung TV from 2012, absolute basic.

TV and console are put in normal stereo mode, because I don't have a surround system.

Since early june I use a stereo headset. (first connected to the controller, now directly connected with the TV.)

With sound from the TV, Headset connected to the controller or with the TV, doesn't matter for that bug.

Can't see any improvement in terms of how often it happens since release.

It always sounds like someone pulled the connector from the headset out.

And then: absolute silence. Nothing.

I know some people say they can hear the gravel and so on, but not with my experience.

After the picture-freeze-animation for loading into the next stage, I hope you know what I mean, I get the same sound as someone puts the connector back in and the sound is back.

If its really me and most people don't get the bug anymore since patch 1.2, then I absolutely have no clue what I'm doing wrong, because more basic than TV + X-Box One S + Standard One S Controller + simple stereo headset is not possible I think.

Would be cool if EVERYONE who got the sound-cutting-out-bug since patch 1.6 AT LEAST ONCE at any given time would react to this post to see if I'm alone with that or not, would help I think.

@UnderclassGDfan hmm yeah that is a pretty simple and straight forward setup - nothing really fancy about it that I would suspect immediately. @MrSpanky are you on Xbox too? Does this seem to be more related to a specific console or are both of you on different platforms?

1 hour ago, Mike Dee said:

Seriously... I did a club event in Monte Carlo the other week with hardcore damage.

I popped a tyre on stage 4 of 12 and busted up the radiator a bit. The first service stop wasn't until Stage 9. I was able to drive on a front rim, with a radiator in yellow, and the engine knocking by stage 5 all the way until the very end. I made it to the service stop.

I drove 5 stages, 3 of which were LONGS, in Monte with a car I was expecting to DNF by the end of the next stage. It survived like a champ the entire time. I messed up a ton hitting stuff because of how bad the handling was and how bent the wheel geometry was. The radiator was literally at less than 10% and the engine was at like 35% when I made it to the service stop. Wheel geometry was in the 30% range too.

How the hell am I allowed to finish 2 sprints and 3 longs, on a rim with a knocking engine that won't go above 65mph and a radiator that won't even hold fluid?!?!?

Seriously, if you are giving us hardcore damage make it hurt. I shouldn't be able to casually screw around on a 9 stage event without service stops and still comfortably finish with only a beat up car. The basic damage model back in DR1 would have had me DNF'd by the 3rd stage. When we used to do Finland events with a service every 5 stages you were forced to brake check the jumps if you wanted any chance to finish. Now though? Smash into a wall, lose a tire, have a knock in your engine and you'll be just fine. You might be slow, but if you can deal with a 45 minute slow drive to the next service stop you won't DNF. Everything about that is wrong. Everything.

the same my thought. the game is too permissive. I don't consider this to be hardcore damage. in a real rally, just a little touch is enough to stay without a wheel, with a broken steering arm and  suspension KO

Wow, got the sound-cutting-out-bug again.

Another club league race ruined.

Just 7 stages after the last one, what a bad day.

Posted (edited)

weird. I've put 250 hours into this game so far and I've had that audio bug (or one like it) exactly once.

I play on a laptop with just the built-in speakers, sometimes with headphones.

Edited by ianism

Posted (edited)

I want to re-propose feedback,  I hope I was taken into consideration for the next patch. Restore penalty time for puncture, 1'30" equal to the first Dirt rally. Time is real, 30" is fantasy

Edited by ale81udine