DiRTy Gossip

4 hours ago, tbtstt said:

😲 BLASPHEMY! 

I can understand that, my love for the RS200 is more because of what it did in rallycross rather than how it looks: it's not pretty!

HMMM not pretty is another thing imo

the  metro 6r4   XD

that is ugly!!!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

@tbtstt

Many thanks! Will probably buy that book next month when new money comes in with a big truck 😄

And...the Pikes Peak-version is an E2, just with a different body kit?

Or is it more like an unofficial E3?

It's expensive, but worth it: you won't find a better book on the quattro! 

The Pikes Peak car was effectively an E2 unbound from the WRC regulations: so more power and more aero. I guess you could call in an E3 (or perhaps E2+ would be more accurate?)

14 minutes ago, Brain.exe has stopped said:

Well, you learn something new everyday

Thought I read it somewhere....

Chances are you did @Brain.exe has stopped! The "S1 E2" thing is a very widespread error and, as @F2CMaDMaXX says...

12 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

True, however for whatever reason, Audi specifically wanted it referred to as it appears in-game currently.

...it has gone full circle, as even the manufacturers own licensing department seem to get it wrong! 

I was first told about the mistake years ago and, despite being told by a very reputable source, I wasn't convinced as I had seen S1 E2 in so many places. It was only when I read this:

http://www.ableitet.no/twentyS1/s1vse2.htm

That I believed there was truly an error. John Davenport is acknowledged as one of the most knowledgeable figures on the subject. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

...it has gone full circle, as even the manufacturers own licensing department seem to get it wrong! 

I was first told about the mistake years ago and, despite being told by a very reputable source, I wasn't convinced as I had seen S1 E2 in so many places. It was only when I read this:

OOOoooh, Nelson Mandela!

He did not die in the 90's and people didn't watch his funeral.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, tbtstt said:

2006FOS_1985AudiQuattroS1PikesPeak.jpg

This is the one I really wish was represented more in games.  I know why it's not but man it just looks way cooler.

• Agree 5

21 minutes ago, mwoodski said:

This is the one I really wish was represented more in games.  I know why it's not but man it just looks way cooler.

The S1 is my favourite version as well. I actually think it's funny that the E2 is so beloved (and so famous) when it was the least successful rally variant of the quattro. 

Didn't they use an Audi 80 or 100 or the basic coupe beforehand?

19 minutes ago, cafe5150 said:

Didn't they use an Audi 80 or 100 or the basic coupe beforehand?

Not sure about the Audi 100, but they definitely used the Audi 80: the Sport quattro had the same front window rake as the Audi 80 (rather than the Ur quattro) as the drivers preferred it. 

15 hours ago, tbtstt said:

That I believed there was truly an error. John Davenport is acknowledged as one of the most knowledgeable figures on the subject. 

Interestingly, that site says Audi experimented with a sequential gearbox in the quattro, which could be an explanation for why, when you select 'Manual Sequential or H-pattern + Clutch' in game, it uses sequential for the Audi.

Could be, but probably actually a bug.

20 minutes ago, caerphoto said:

Interestingly, that site says Audi experimented with a sequential gearbox in the quattro

Yeah, that was the PDK gearbox. 

14 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, that was the PDK gearbox. 

Did that come before or after the Porsche 956 one? Very similar timescale.

8 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

Did that come before or after the Porsche 956 one? Very similar timescale.

I think it was afterwards? I can't remember the exact connection, but I'm sure there was some Porsche involvement with that gearbox: I'll have to consult the quattro book and check later!

• Thanks 1

If I studied correctly from @tbtstt, the switch from S1 to E2 happened because the FIA wanted all evolutions of all Gr.B cars to have an 'e' in the model name: this is why the Lancias are called Evo or Evoluzione.

The germans had to switch to the new denomination by the FIA, but since they don't like being told what to do by the French, they call the car S1 E2 nowadays to mantain their original denomination. At least, this is how I see it. 

16 minutes ago, carpa said:

If I studied correctly from @tbtstt, the switch from S1 to E2 happened because the FIA wanted all evolutions of all Gr.B cars to have an 'e' in the model name: this is why the Lancias are called Evo or Evoluzione.

Yeah, that's correct, the Peugeot 205T16 E2 is a perfect example...

16 minutes ago, carpa said:

The germans had to switch to the new denomination by the FIA, but since they don't like being told what to do by the French, they call the car S1 E2 nowadays to mantain their original denomination. At least, this is how I see it. 

...all the period documents from Audi refer to the car as "Audi Sport quattro E2", so they didn't seem to have an issue with the switch. The source of the "S1 E2" seems unclear, but is possibly due a publication error: 

17 hours ago, tbtstt said:

The S1 is my favourite version as well. I actually think it's funny that the E2 is so beloved (and so famous) when it was the least successful rally variant of the quattro. 

Agreed, but the casual fan just sees more wings and ridiculousness and that's all that matters.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, mwoodski said:

more wings and ridiculousness

Image result for audi time attack quattro

Image result for audi time attack quattro

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/07/the-battle-hardened-white-warrior/

Of course, there’s that wing too. It originally had six wings (yes, six!) but has since been reduced to two, down one from last season (as in the picture above). Why you’re wondering? Well it might be something to do with the time that Kai was racing at Mantorp Park. After being full throttle all down the back straight, he went to brake for the corner and found that he barely had any brakes. But it wasn’t brake failure. No, he just had so much downforce on the rear of the car that the front wheels were lifting off the ground. At 160mph+. That’s definitely new underwear time.

Beast.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2019 at 7:07 PM, JZStudios said:

Wait... someone who wasn't Mr. The Block crashed in an older classic? That's possible?

Didn't you watch Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2017?

This was a painful moment to be frankly honest. Pat Doran went a bit too far...

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, SimVansevenant said:

Didn't you watch Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2017?

This was a painful moment to be frankly honest. Pat Doran went a bit too far...

Oh, well he IS wearing a Monster race suit, so the Mr. The Block American Dudebro must've sweat in it and transferred his consciousness to Pat. If you look carefully you can also see the exact moment Mr. The Block takes over Pats mind and says "Ribbit ribbit, feeling froggy!" and just throws the car off to make it crash.

• Haha 3

In unrelated fashion, it's a bit "old" but I don't think it's been discussed here, anyone have any thoughts about this?

I'm not too hot on it. It's like the halfway point between a beetle and a Porsche. It's not small and compact enough to be "cute" like a beetle, or long and smooth enough to be more refined like a Porsche. And something about the back end actually almost scares and revolts me.

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

In unrelated fashion, it's a bit "old" but I don't think it's been discussed here, anyone have any thoughts about this?

the back reminds me too much of like an Audi A3 sedan (or coupe? I don't actually remember the number of doors) because of the overall shape and especially the lights.

but otherwise I'm super into it.

Again a video about the track editor from Milestone (MXGP 2019). Still think this will be a great functionallity for the Rallycross part for in the future 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I'm not too hot on it. It's like the halfway point between a beetle and a Porsche. It's not small and compact enough to be "cute" like a beetle, or long and smooth enough to be more refined like a Porsche. And something about the back end actually almost scares and revolts me.

I actually love the car. The looks are decent but it's a a lot of fun to drive! I had a test drive in it and pushed it a tiny bit. Absolutely fantastic to be honest.

22 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Still think this will be a great functionallity for the Rallycross part for in the future

Not for DiRT Rally 2.0, but who knows what the future will bring. I'm sure the game designers have seen it 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1