DiRTy Gossip

There’s talk of potentially adding it to Freeplay in a future update.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tonzboher said:

Hopefully it’s Per Inge Walfridsson’s chequered flag livery for the Lancia Stratos that’s being added😁 

Dirtfish test stage will be a nice addition also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

Will it have the chequered flag writing on it though??😁

@PJTierney, i was wondering one of these days... how is the licensing process for real liveries done, just for curiosity? Do CM need to get permission from all the sponsors, driver/owner as well as car manufacturer? 

• Agree 2

This game is becoming better and better: my personal best investment in 2019 :classic_biggrin:

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ale81udine said:

we want to talk about how many iconic cars and motorcycles were born from Italian engineering? which stupid countries are you from? how old are you? 12 years badly? there is a lot of Italian engineering in the history of motorsports, from two to four wheels, from rally to Formula 1, from the world championship on the track to motocross. You're more ignorant than the American clown you're defending.

Yes, I am ashamed to admit that I am 12 years badly. I hope one day I can become 12 years old goodly. There's also never been anything wrong with anything the Italians have ever manufactured, except for guns, planes, cars, motorcycles, hell even the French are better. Well, they made better planes for a period of time.

There's a good reason that people always say "If you want straight forward functionality and reliability, you buy Italian!"

I also absolutely adore the sheer amount of vitriol for Mr. Block. Ignorant about what? I don't know, but it's funny. Defending him? You must've missed my earlier posts about him. Clown? Eh, he's not that funny. More like the depressed clown that would show up in the Sims.

4 hours ago, carpa said:

*Were not known. The latest Alfa Romeo cars have reliability that seems on par with their German rivals. Most supercars nowadays seem to have ironed out that "feeling hot today might catch fire later idk" issue they had. Besides, Italian cars have the HUGE advantage that they look beautiful even as standing still😎

Sure they look good, but they only increased in reliability once the Germans got hold of them, or they started copying the Germans.

On an unrelated note, @Steverex what kind of camera are you using? Would be beneficial to try and lower the shutter speed if possible, or try and follow the car a bit so they aren't as blurry.

Edited by JZStudios
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Opassac said:

@PJTierney, i was wondering one of these days... how is the licensing process for real liveries done, just for curiosity? Do CM need to get permission from all the sponsors, driver/owner as well as car manufacturer? 

He's explained it once before, or maybe it was Urgaffel, but essentially - yes. That is what makes official liveries of historics so insanely annoying to source. You not only need to get the main sponsor and manufacturer to ok it, you then have to find out who the rightsholders are for each individual sponsor and a lot of the times it has been sold all over since the 70s when the livery was first revealed. Maybe you get lucky and it ended up in the portfolio of a big entity that CM already is working with, so it becomes more like a line-item for them. But other times it has been traded a handful of times and the new holder doesn't even realize they own partial rights to that specific livery. 

edit - found the link to Mandy's interview, and she is a Licensing Admin for Codies
http://blog.codemasters.com/community/03/celebrating-the-women-behind-our-games-for-iwd2019-meet-mandy/

she talks about how insanely hard, and how many months in advance it takes, to get the liveries or car rights.

Edited by Mike Dee
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Didn't Dirt 4 have a bunch of side things to do in dirtfish? Is it the same?

2 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

He's explained it once before, or maybe it was Urgaffel, but essentially - yes. That is what makes official liveries of historics so insanely annoying to source. You not only need to get the main sponsor and manufacturer to ok it, you then have to find out who the rightsholders are for each individual sponsor and a lot of the times it has been sold all over since the 70s when the livery was first revealed. Maybe you get lucky and it ended up in the portfolio of a big entity that CM already is working with, so it becomes more like a line-item for them. But other times it has been traded a handful of times and the new holder doesn't even realize they own partial rights to that specific livery. 

Thanks mike, as i expected, a pain in the ..., especially for the vintage cars. Probably one of the reasons why we don't have as much real liveries as we all want.

3 minutes ago, Opassac said:

Thanks mike, as i expected, a pain in the ..., especially for the vintage cars. Probably one of the reasons why we don't have as much real liveries as we all want.

Yeah it really sucks, and without some behemoth behind you like Microsoft in Forza's case, it gets really tricky to also convince those holders to allow users to completely "tarnish" their car's image with custom liveries when you yourself can't source all the liveries you want as an organization.

It's the entire reason why the Quattro has only a single livery in the games. To even get the car in the game, CM had to agree that the Audi wouldn't be touched and would always be draped in the iconic White/Yellow.

Now if manufacturers and sponsors could only get it in their heads that being in a video game is actually a good thing and free promotional material, we might finally get back to the old days of having all kinds of official content in any title. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

Yeah it really sucks, and without some behemoth behind you like Microsoft in Forza's case, it gets really tricky to also convince those holders to allow users to completely "tarnish" their car's image with custom liveries when you yourself can't source all the liveries you want as an organization.

It's the entire reason why the Quattro has only a single livery in the games. To even get the car in the game, CM had to agree that the Audi wouldn't be touched and would always be draped in the iconic White/Yellow.

Now if manufacturers and sponsors could only get it in their heads that being in a video game is actually a good thing and free promotional material, we might finally get back to the old days of having all kinds of official content in any title. 

One more thing, do software companies need to pay sponsors/manufacturers any fees?

Just now, Opassac said:

One more thing, do software companies need to pay sponsors/manufacturers any fees?

I can't speak for CM and all of their individual licensing agreements... but let's say most of the time? Normally there is going to be some form of compensation, no one wants to give their stuff away for free. But if there is a big enough promotional gain by allowing the use of their logo/car/etc you might see "partnerships" arise. It would have been a lot more common to see that kind of stuff in the older titles between smaller sponsors and studios where it's beneficial to all involved to up the eyes on the content while increasing the content count too.

But now if you're going to see some kind of partnership like that, it'll probably also involve an investment agreement. They'll offer their content/cars/etc for "free" or on extremely good terms, but they will also have a sizable financial stake in the studio/investment firm/whatever producing the game and will reap the rewards from it that way.

Now maybe I'm completely wrong in all of this, I don't work in the game industry so it might operate very differently than other industries. But from what I did learn by looking into that stuff years ago, and what I do know from my own professional experiences with vendors and outside companies, everything involved money or some kind of compensation now. Maybe it's a one-time up front cost, maybe it's a per-sale cost, and maybe these agreements are only valid for a few years too so the game becomes literally unsellable after it expires since it would contain "unlicensed content" at that point.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Mike Dee said:

I can't speak for CM and all of their individual licensing agreements... but let's say most of the time? Normally there is going to be some form of compensation, no one wants to give their stuff away for free. But if there is a big enough promotional gain by allowing the use of their logo/car/etc you might see "partnerships" arise. It would have been a lot more common to see that kind of stuff in the older titles between smaller sponsors and studios where it's beneficial to all involved to up the eyes on the content while increasing the content count too.

But now if you're going to see some kind of partnership like that, it'll probably also involve an investment agreement. They'll offer their content/cars/etc for "free" or on extremely good terms, but they will also have a sizable financial stake in the studio/investment firm/whatever producing the game and will reap the rewards from it that way.

Now maybe I'm completely wrong in all of this, I don't work in the game industry so it might operate very differently than other industries. But from what I did learn by looking into that stuff years ago, and what I do know from my own professional experiences with vendors and outside companies, everything involved money or some kind of compensation now. Maybe it's a one-time up front cost, maybe it's a per-sale cost, and maybe these agreements are only valid for a few years too so the game becomes literally unsellable after it expires since it would contain "unlicensed content" at that point.

I understand there are no free lunches and every company tries to maximize their gains, but for small sponsors, the visibility gained in videogames should be enough reward, its just like they are advertising their company for free, thus my questions... thanks for explanations...

Edited by Opassac
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Opassac said:

I understand there are no free lunches and every company tries to maximize their gains, but for small sponsors, the visibility gained in videogames should be enough reward, it just like they are advertising their company for free, thus my questions... thanks for explanations...

http://blog.codemasters.com/community/03/celebrating-the-women-behind-our-games-for-iwd2019-meet-mandy/

Actually went digging and came up with the old interview from Mandy. Not super detailed, but touches on a few of the challenges.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Opassac said:

The interesting thing is also how the different game developers handle the licensing and it can be different for every game and every racing series as well and the price you want to pay for licensing.  So it is also very complicated and an easy answer isn't a straighforward answer for it.

Developers

So as far as I know, Codemasters license every single logo, brand, model for DiRT Rally 2.0. But I had contact with Sector3 studios about getting some of my connection's liveries in the game. There they not mentioned anything about licensing. Just need to give the logo's in certain format (high quality, preference vector) and good photos from different angles, pay a certain amount of money, and your car will be in the game. So nothing to do with licensing. 

Games

Licensing might also be very different for every game. Some brands are ok to be in arcade games or certain type of games (because its fits their marketing objectives), rather in being in a hardcore sim like DiRT. Toyota has also such a name not want to be in sim games, but f.e. has been in Gravel because they liked the concept. 

Racing series

Some racing series you might not need extra licensing work, because you do that by the series organizer. I am quite sure that with the F1 games the licensing goes through FOM, and the FOM probably has in their contracts with the teams they allow their cars/partners/sponsors/drivers/etc. to be int he games the FOM gives theit licensing deal to. 

Maybe IMG (WRX promotor) has something similar, or maybe not. That could be the reason why not every livery/car from the 2018 season is in the game.

Price/Type of license/Level of license

One developer has more money than the other. And that is with everyone. Some can buy a Fiesta, other can buy a Mustang, others a GT. Maybe the license of the Audi Quattro is already expensive (but a must have for the game). Maybe Codemasters has a deal that it can have damage, but not have the ability for other liveries (because that costs extra). While Gran Turismo has a less extensive damage model, but has a livery editor. 

Also it could be that different brands have different costs model. Maybe one has a fixed price, so it makes more sense to be in the base game, while the other once money for every copy that has been sold, so than might DLC be more interesting. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Dirtfish is a great addition.

Really hope it gets patched into Freeplay later on.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mike Dee said:

Actually went digging and came up with the old interview from Mandy. Not super detailed, but touches on a few of the challenges.

Great info, thanks. Mandy even talks about a conspicuous car in a museum wall, guess it's the Pug 206 some of you guys mentioned months ago, and i hope it will be featured in season 3/4, yeahhh 😁

3 hours ago, Opassac said:

I don’t know the process in detail but every single logo/brand needs approval. 

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

@JZStudios I'm using the Huawei p30 pro. 

Some of them I took in burst, other in slow motion (still learning how to use this camera) 

Last pict of the day and basicly all cars (and groups) 

IMG_20190802_204247.jpg

IMG_20190802_200700.jpg

IMG_20190802_201950.jpg

IMG_20190802_200929.jpg

IMG_20190802_201033.jpg

IMG_20190802_203135.jpg

IMG_20190802_203435.jpg

IMG_20190802_195931.jpg

IMG_20190802_200444.jpg

IMG_20190802_204038.jpg

IMG_20190802_204038_1.jpg

IMG_20190802_200546.jpg

IMG_20190802_201852.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

Huh, seems like they should also allow the Audi red, but whatever.

2 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

It's interesting that in films and TV, the companies pay them for product placement, but in games it seems to be the other way around. Unless it's Mountain Dew. Oh, and Energizer in Alan Wake that died out because they made the batteries die almost instantly when you them, so the DLC was generic batteries.

Or Barack Obama and EA. I remember seeing the billboards in Burnout Paradise which I always thought was... poor, but apparently "During the 2008 presidential campaign, a number of 'vote for Obama' ads were unsubtly inserted into 18 EA game titles, such as NBA Live 08, Burnout Paradise, Nascar 09, Need For Speed: Carbon, Need For Speed: Pro Street, NFL on Tour, NHL 09, Skate, and even Guitar Hero."

Something seems odd to me how a man with such meager income can get a company as large as EA to put his constipated political advertisements so prominently in so many games, but ehh..... politics.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Or Barack Obama and EA. I remember seeing the billboards in Burnout Paradise which I always thought was... poor, but apparently "During the 2008 presidential campaign, a number of 'vote for Obama' ads were unsubtly inserted into 18 EA game titles, such as NBA Live 08, Burnout Paradise, Nascar 09, Need For Speed: Carbon, Need For Speed: Pro Street, NFL on Tour, NHL 09, Skate, and even Guitar Hero."

Something seems odd to me how a man with such meager income can get a company as large as EA to put his constipated political advertisements so prominently in so many games, but ehh..... politics.

really? I played the **** out of Paradise, NFS Carbon and ProStreet but never noticed anything at all. also, they were released a long time before he even won the Democratic primary against Clinton - before the first primary votes were cast, even.

ok, so I looked it up, and these were only on Xbox 360 version, only in 10 specific states in the US (ones that were important for the election), and only for one month. the company that managed the in-game ads (called Milestone, so this isn't EA) also approached McCain's campaign (the Republican candidate, Obama's opponent), but they declined.

and as for money, this was happening in October 2008, so the Obama campaign would have had a ton of cash by then. it's not Barack's own money.

source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/obama-campaigns-in-burnout-17-other-games/1100-6199379/

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ianism said:

really? I played the **** out of Paradise, NFS Carbon and ProStreet but never noticed anything at all. also, they were released a long time before he even won the Democratic primary against Clinton - before the first primary votes were cast, even.

ok, so I looked it up, and these were only on Xbox 360 version, only in 10 specific states in the US (ones that were important for the election), and only for one month. the company that managed the in-game ads (called Milestone, so this isn't EA) also approached McCain's campaign (the Republican candidate, Obama's opponent), but they declined.

and as for money, this was happening in October 2008, so the Obama campaign would have had a ton of cash by then. it's not Barack's own money.

source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/obama-campaigns-in-burnout-17-other-games/1100-6199379/

Very interesting. I had seen the ones in Burnout before, and thought it very strange that a British based company would plaster their world with US politics. I'm also not in any of those states, so I wonder if maybe I just saw it online somewhere...

Still, based on that link it claims Obama's campaign approached them. I'd still think they'd have to "buy out" the competitors, like Diesel jeans.

Related image

Wonder how much it cost. Oh.

On February 22, 2008, the New York Times reported for the period through January 31, 2008, with Hillary Clinton's campaign spending $106 million, Barack Obama's campaign spending $115 million and John McCain's committee $41 million.

Sounds about right for EA.

Anyways, politics averted.

Image result for nothing to see here

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I don’t know the process in detail but every single logo/brand needs approval. 

so basically there is no reason for Focus 2007 not to get official Australia 2005 livery? its just Michelin and Castrol as sponsors. (and there is not problem with WRC, as Skoda uses 2005 livery)

Do you remember how the trailer of Wales in WRC8 appeared at the time of the Wales DLC for Dirt Rally 2?

I know how Codemasters are going to respond.

What does WRC8 have that DR2 doesn't? Proper dashcam of course. So, I think that on the day of WRC8 release, we will see a patch adding a dashcam to DR2. So people will have no more reasons to turn to the competition.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1