DiRTy Gossip

Some of you are ignoring Jon's statements of "new location" some weeks ago, which I think he means a rally one.

• Agree 2

Speaking of pixel art, I really do believe there is a gap in the market for a good 'retro' rally game. I've suggested it once before, but anyhow: 'Dirt Retro', semi-top-down view, retro-tinged graphics, good physics, lots of fun touches like exploding cars etc, and endless procedural tracks.

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

Speaking of pixel art, I really do believe there is a gap in the market for a good 'retro' rally game. I've suggested it once before, but anyhow: 'Dirt Retro', semi-top-down view, retro-tinged graphics, good physics, lots of fun touches like exploding cars etc, and endless procedural tracks.

Any time someone mentions a not "hardcore" sim racing game it's met with venom. Even though a lot of people are wanting a new arcade racer there's none being made. Well, none that are any good anyways. The NFS reboots and The Crew are not really doing that well for a combination of lack of good content and poor controls.

I'd love for a new Burnout game to exist.

4 hours ago, Riggs said:

Some of you are ignoring Jon's statements of "new location" some weeks ago, which I think he means a rally one.

Do you have a context for that? Much as I’d like to see it (because the thought of 4 or 5 RX locations makes me sad) I can’t see any more than the 2 updated rally locations. And I’m super excited for those two anyway.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)

I would personally luuurve France and Japan rallies, to bring the RBR nostalgia feelz X 10

Edited by Jake Cushing

@JZStudios A couple to check out are Mantis Burn Racing (I've tried it and it's good) and Dangerous Driving (haven't tried but decent reviews) 

The amount of Steam data that can be scraped by the public is always very annoying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

But not if you just tell us all what's happening beforehand! Voila, no more annoyance 😄

• Agree 4

11 minutes ago, CMMcBabe said:

The amount of Steam data that can be scraped by the public is always very annoying.

Expecially if your community has a DiRTy Gossip Thread for speculating endlessly about the data found on Steam, I imagine😅

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CMMcBabe said:

Perhaps you can simply call those DLC 1.X, instead of DLC Location 1.X, etc. Or use a code internally and then later rename it when it's released 😛

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Riggs said:

Perhaps you can simply call those DLC 1.X, instead of DLC Location 1.X, etc. Or use a code internally and then later rename it when it's released 😛

Or just tell us all what the long term plan is, then there is no need to trawl through any files. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CMMcBabe said:

Well to be fair it’s pretty much the only thing keeping our hopes up lol

• Haha 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, CMMcBabe said:

Yet DirtFish was a total surprise! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Managed to pull .8 of a second out of my PB at Trois-Rivieres last night after watching WRX from Canada.

Found it funny that I'm still 5 seconds a lap quicker than the real life laps.

Posted (edited)

who are ready for dirtfish 😉😂 . dirtfish irl 

and me with dirt fish teacher tomorrow😂

Edited by gk9147
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, mwoodski said:

Managed to pull .8 of a second out of my PB at Trois-Rivieres last night after watching WRX from Canada.

Found it funny that I'm still 5 seconds a lap quicker than the real life laps.

That has to do with a few small things. Overall the car are to grippy and have maybe also to strong engines (to compensate the to much grip) and therefore also the engine braking / brakes might be to strong. Also the track is a bit more wider/smoother in game than in real life. I think when driving in the wet, the times and grip levers are more similar to real conditions in dry.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BulWNsmgyuP/

Edited by JorritVD
  • Agree 1

On 8/4/2019 at 11:29 AM, JorritVD said:

I find it always annoying that people saying they are not interested in RX or that the game is called "Rally" and should have only "Rally" content.

That is just pure nonsense. Rally is a combination of different types of rally, some more traditional than the other one. You got the tranditional stage rallying which is called "Rally". You have Rallysprint, which is traditional rally, but held on one day basically. You got classic or historical rally which sometimes not really goes about who is the fastest, but the most efficient and is sometimes just taken on non-closed road. The Dakar Rally, which is not a traditional stage-rally, but a cross-country/rally-raid event, but they not call it the "Dakar Cross-Country Rally". Than there is hillclimbing or local slalom challenges, etc.

And that is the same for Rallycross, it is partly rally and circuit racing. What I find beautiful about rallycross, is that is is very accessible and connects a lot of worlds. Both for drivers/teams and for spectators. In which other sports you see different background of drivers, rally drivers (Loeb, Solberg) / racing circuit drivers (Scheider, Ekstrom) / motorcross (Deegan, Pastrana / rallycross-folkrace (Bakkerud), drifting (Foust) etc. competing competitive against each other?

In other words, I think Rallycross and Traditional-Stage-Rally perfectly fit together in one game, possible joined by other types of Rally-types of racing. 

maybe  codemasters add  ghymkhana  and hillclimb in DLC  too 😂

solberg , kristoffersson, block

loeb and romain dumas 

1 hour ago, JorritVD said:

That has to do with a few small things. Overall the car are to grippy and have maybe also to strong engines (to compensate the to much grip) and therefore also the engine braking / brakes might be to strong. Also the track is a bit more wider/smoother in game than in real life. I think when driving in the wet, the times and grip levers are more similar to real conditions in dry.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BulWNsmgyuP/

Yeah, it's a mix of things. Circuits aren't completely accurate, som sections are wider and can be taken at a much higher speed than IRL. 

You can pin the accelerator taking corners with full wheelspin and still maintain way too much forward momentum at the same time. Wheelspin should compromise lateral grip much more than it is. 

Still, it's much better than D4 and good fun. I like that gravel is actually loose now compared to DR/D4 RX. 

Pikes Peak is entirely out of realm for Codemasters as the race's videogame rights are currently owned by Polphony (Gran Turismo) and will be for another 7 years, I think.

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Nico said:

Pikes Peak is entirely out of realm for Codemasters as the race's videogame rights are currently owned by Polphony (Gran Turismo) and will be for another 7 years, I think.

There are other hillclimb events on Earth besides Pike's Peak.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ShodanCat said:

There are other hillclimb events on Earth besides Pike's Peak.

I know, but without the option of Pikes Peak available, bringing back hillclimb would necessarily mean creating a new track from zero. I think all of us would rather see that time and effort dedicated into making new rally stages. Hillclimb is an awesome discipline among motorsports, but let's be honest, Pikes Peak aside, it's not very well known globally compared to rallying or rallycross. If Codies didn't have the chance to license Pikes Peak for the original DiRT Rally, I doubt they would have even bothered with hillclimb at all.

• Agree 6

Pikes Peak isn't what it used to be. All tarmac now. I'm not saying it's not fast but when you watch Ari Vatanen hanging the back end off the edge on the old version it's pretty amazing. 

14 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

There's this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/501020/Super_Pixel_Racers/

And this on the way: https://store.steampowered.com/app/550320/art_of_rally/

• Thanks 1

There is a mod for BeamNG.drive which recreates Pikes Peak, in both full gravel and full tarmac configurations. It's not as good as DiRT Rally IMHO, but it's something.