DiRTy Gossip

17 minutes ago, Keko55 said:

Does the Porsche 911 RGT have too much  oversteer on asphalt? What do you think?

Yeah but I think it's more a problem of tarmac physics, not just this individual car.

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

On 9/13/2019 at 2:59 PM, pyide said:

Yeah, but having the option for those that want it would still better than not having the option at all. You could still choose to not ready up until you have the info you need... What he proposed is a manual ready up check to skip the forced times, not an automatic skip or a shortened timer. And I 100% agree with him there, the forced waits with no option to skip when it's just my friend and I doing some laps is pretty ridiculous.

I thought exactly the same after I'd posted my comment! As long as everyone has to press to proceed it's actually a good idea.

Just out of sheer curiosity, is Dirt Rally being delisted from sale? Every previous CM game went free just before being pulled from stores, and DR has now gone free on Humble and Steam.

It just now appeared to me: WHY does the High-Beam Lightbar on the Polo R5 look different ingame than on the actual cover of the game? I like the slim LED bar, but ingame it has the same big bulb bar as the Fabia R5. Anyone noticed that?

Very nice rig, although there would've been cheaper options. The living room is a 10/10, really cool stuff! 👌

• Like 1

Lol, now we know why dash cam is coming with 1.9 - just in time for @PJTierney's new rig :classic_laugh:

Looks awesome though, enjoy it. Also, well done on the monitor positioning, another connoisseur of the best camera position 😉 

• Haha 3
  • Agree 2

PJ you're going to need an FoV adjustment for that rig, or it just... won't... feel... right

Just sayin' 🙂 

1 hour ago, Jake Cushing said:

PJ you're going to need an FoV adjustment for that rig, or it just... won't... feel... right

Just sayin' 🙂 

I got lots of things to learn with all this 🙂 

44 minutes ago, J89 said:

30fps replays are ****!

60fps for life 😉 

3 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

60fps for life 😉

Should buy a pc.

Edited by J89
  • Haha 1

should buy a vr headset 🙂 Imersion x10

And are you playing rally on that rim? Works well?

Edited by kellemann

52 minutes ago, kellemann said:

And are you playing rally on that rim? Works well?

I'll know once I start 😉

From the bit of practice I've had on the work machines I seem to prefer a short degree of rotation (270), but ultimately I plan on playing more than just DiRT so a formula rim felt like the right call for me.

14 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I seem to prefer a short degree of rotation (270)

Consider playing with it at 345°-360° too. It'll give you a bit more fine-tuning room and you'll still be able to hit the paddles at full lock 👍

why not to play just with real live (car dependent) rotation? I doubt it would force to use more rotation than +/- 120 degree in most cases

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

10 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

why not to play just with real live (car dependent) rotation? I doubt it would force to use more rotation than +/- 120 degree in most cases

Have you tried to downshift with paddles on a 720° DoR setup? Way too annoying trying to track the paddles after half a rotation

• Agree 1

That's why F1 steering wheel is not good one for rally 😉
I admit doing rally with paddles fixed to steering wheel might be challenging.
But still, proper shifting is performed on straights rather than in the middle of a switch-back.

I saw similar argument to your one, raised in case of racing cars. For some reason it's not a problem for real drivers, often having L2L rotation of 520*

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

44 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

proper shifting is performed on straights rather than in the middle of a switch-back

I'd argue that is not the case, specifically in rally. You need those mid-corner shifts for weight transfers and a sequential setup is designed to make that even easier. If the paddles were fixed it'd be 100x easier to pull off because they're always in the same spot so no "getting lost" with them. It is doable with wheels where the paddles aren't fixed, plenty of people run it at 540° and do just fine, but for max performance you either need them fixed or on a low enough rotation as to not have to move your hands off the wheel. 

7 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

I'd argue that is not the case, specifically in rally. You need those mid-corner shifts for weight transfers and a sequential setup is designed to make that even easier. If the paddles were fixed it'd be 100x easier to pull off because they're always in the same spot so no "getting lost" with them. It is doable with wheels where the paddles aren't fixed, plenty of people run it at 540° and do just fine, but for max performance you either need them fixed or on a low enough rotation as to not have to move your hands off the wheel. 

I've aquired a driving style which very rarely lets me "getting lost" where the paddles are, even with largen real DoR.
What I do is, whenever I turn, the left hand doesn't leave its spot, more specifically the thumb of the left hand doesnt leave its spot on the wheel. The other hand grabs around (and shifts and handbrakes). The left always stays with the rotation until it is back straight.
This way your head intuitively learns where the paddles must be in relation to your hand position. I sometimes shift in the middle of a hairpin, with the paddles being completely flipped in position. But I have to barely think about it. My head just feels like "Oh my hand is over to right now, so for downshift I have to pull the paddle on the right" Or more accurately "For downshift I pull paddle at the location of my left hands position."

(Sometimes it''s also the right hand moving with the wheel. Point is, I always have one of my hands at the neutral 9-3 points of the wheel to intuitively know how it stands, without looking at it.)

Since I happen to have a channel, I can even show some moving pictures of what im talkin bout:

Edited by SkyRex

9 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

The solution is simple. Buy a shifter. Flappy paddles suck anyways. He's got a full rig.

Going to suck playing anything else with an F1 wheel though. Especially if he ever wants to try drifting.

I'm working on a Fulvia skin and can't get the windows file ful_glass_d.dds saved in a correct way.

I use Paint.NET and save as BC3 (sRGB DX 10+), change ext. from .dds2 to .dds but the window is not transparent.

2nd question, how to make the black hood matte?