DiRTy Gossip

Thanks for listening @PJTierney. I can end my Codemasters/Oculus boycott now. I'm not sure who at Codemasters and/or Oculus thought it would be good idea to restrict the Oculus SDK version to the Oculus store since the only people it hurt were customers of Oculus and Codemasters. I'm glad the issue has been resolved.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

And what do you think, how in-game spectator mode distributes data? Isn't it streaming too?
Your argumentation is weak. Just don't know the reasons behind.

CM could publish DR2 game client, which gives no other options than spectate. As I said I don't think it's going to happen. But it would be nice. On the other hand how many non-players would download 80GB just to spectate. I'm afraid no enough ROI for that.

You must understand that a streaming service distributes visual data, whereas an in-game spec mode will invariably send game data for the game client to interpret.

Without the assets, you have nothing, the dumb client you're referring to would need to have all the same data files the game does, again, it's not streaming visual data, it's just game data, the info as to where/when it should place and display assets.

Edited by F2CMaDMaXX
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, GoesTo11 said:

Thanks for listening @PJTierney. I can end my Codemasters/Oculus boycott now. I'm not sure who at Codemasters and/or Oculus thought it would be good idea to restrict the Oculus SDK version to the Oculus store since the only people it hurt were customers of Oculus and Codemasters. I'm glad the issue has been resolved.

Some companies pay huge $$$$ to get a timed exlusivity on their platform to get more to use it and maybe thats what oculus did now. Whatever the reason i think it did hurt codemasters alot and specially if you watch how many that gave it a bad review based on this mess.

Edited by somethingthing
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

You must understand that a streaming service distributes visual data, whereas an in-game spec mode will invariably send game data for the game client to interpret.

Without the assets, you have nothing, the dumb client you're referring to would need to have all the same data files the game does, again, it's not streaming visual data, it's just game data, the info as to where/when it should place and display assets.

LOL, show me where I mentioned video streaming or to a dumb client. Also it wouldn't be thin client for sure.
A client with access to data remains to be a client. How many times I need to repeat that it might be a full game just with play features striped out.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Disagree 2

15 minutes ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

LOL, show me where I mentioned video streaming or to a dumb client. Also it wouldn't be thin client for sure.
A client with access to data remains to be a client. How many times I need to repeat that it might be a full game just with play features striped out.

Er, why? do i need to do that?  I'm fairly certain my description not only fit, but contained the right info too.

I like your idea of having a client that just be used to view - but the issue is exactly the fact it's not streaming visual data, it's just game data, so yes, you need the whole set of game resource files at minimum, not worth anyone's time downloading that much data for a viewing client.  Remember that streamers (twitch, youtube, facebook etc.) already perform this function.

• Like 2

Again, forget about video stream. Never mentioned it. We are talking about spectating feature.
I know differences - I'm a programmer/solution architect.

Video streams doesn't allow to change cameras, record shots you want etc. This is what makes spectating feature so exceptionable.

16 minutes ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

you need the whole set of game resource files at minimum, not worth anyone's time downloading that much data for a viewing client.

I mentioned this already too. To me it seems you stop reading posts just after the first sentence 😉

Anyway... requesting a fee for being able to passively watch the action is not encouraging. In addition (hoping you are still reading this post) it would allow to show an action to friends around when playing in VR. Don't you expect anyone will buy second copy just for spectating purposes.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Like 1

@MaXyMsrpl You understand what you are asking for right? You asking for CM to release an 80gb client that can't play the game, but can be downloaded for free by other people.

You cannot have spectator mode without forcing the viewer to install the entire game files.

Yes, it'd be nice to let anyone view without having to own the game or install it. That is asinine and not happening though because it would be a waste of resources. No one is requesting a fee, CM is just letting other players spectate their friends in game. It's no different than all of the other titles which do the same thing - you can spectate people in game. But you need to be in the game to spectate.

If you want to passively watch for free, go hop on twitch. If you want to control the content you are consuming, you're going to need to own the content and be in game to do so.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

You're coming across more like a PM than an SA 😉

See Mike's reply, you  didn't mention all those things you're protesting my writing about, but you did ask for them, i just named them.

2 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

I think you missed the point. Question is does spectating person needs paid version of DR2 to spectate. My guess is he does because otherwise it would be not trivial to CM to publish a viewer only. But I wish I'm wrong

like current replays? I would like to get full VR view like in replays in DR1

Yes that would be awsome in VR it was great in DR1. Even better now we have track side camera option.

2 hours ago, MaXyMsrpl said:

And what do you think, how in-game spectator mode distributes data? Isn't it streaming too?
Your argumentation is weak. Just don't know the reasons behind.

CM could publish DR2 game client, which gives no other options than spectate. As I said I don't think it's going to happen. But it would be nice. On the other hand how many non-players would download 80GB just to spectate. I'm afraid no enough ROI for that.

E

1 hour ago, Mike Dee said:

@MaXyMsrpl You understand what you are asking for right? 

Have you noticed I already mentioned the downsides and admitted that it;s not going to happen? Or you become to group of people who jump into discussion after reading the last post only?

1 hour ago, Mike Dee said:

Yes, it'd be nice to let anyone view without having to own the game or install it

You need to decide. Would it be nice or not (see your "disagree" reaction to one of my posts)

Edited by MaXyMsrpl

On 9/24/2019 at 5:11 PM, PJTierney said:

Freeplay:

• Custom: Added ability to autofill an Event with all available routes for a chosen Location.

Some elaboration on this:

• In My Team we use an algorithm that determines event probabilities based on real-life conditions. For example, you have a greater chance of getting rain in Wales than you do in Spain.
  • This algorithm will now be in use in Random and Autofill Custom Freeplay Events after 1.9, ensuring that random conditions are in line with real-life precipitation probabilities.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

As the texaco livery is being used on the Ford Sierra Cosworth touring car in GRID, any chance the rally equivalent from the 1987 1000 lakes will make its way into Dirt?

"As a quick note, when you launch DiRT Rally 2.0 in Oculus VR Mode on Steam next week it will apply your graphics presets from the 2D Mode. This is set to be updated in Version 1.10"

What does it mean ? When I will buy the Steam version will I have to start it first in 2D, set graphics properties there, save, exit and then start the game again in Oculus VR mode ?

How would the graphics settings you set in VR relate to this exactly ? Would they impact the graphics, override the 2D settings or what ? 

Edited by koog2003

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

"As a quick note, when you launch DiRT Rally 2.0 in Oculus VR Mode on Steam next week it will apply your graphics presets from the 2D Mode. This is set to be updated in Version 1.10"

What does it mean ? When I will buy the Steam version will I have to start it first in 2D, set graphics properties there, save, exit and then start the game again in Oculus VR mode ?

How would the graphics settings you set in VR relate to this exactly ? Would they impact the graphics, override the 2D settings or what ? 

As a guess, I would assume that to mean that at release of 1.9; the OculusVR sdk will run the same was as steamVR did when VR was first added. Both modes shared a singular settings file. There was a another patch not long after that added a popup when launching the game to pick whether starting in 2d or VR, and allowed SteamVR and 2dmode to run with an independant and seperate settings file. I have to assume that this means that in version 1.10, they will add Oculus VR to that popup, and equally add in a third settings file specific to OculusVR. But thats all guess work by me, Codemasters would need to confirm or deny that themselves.

• Like 1

In 1.8 we added a preset for Steam VR Mode so that you can have different preset graphics options to when you play in 2D Mode.

Let’s say in 2D Mode you have Crowds set to Ultra and that when you play in Steam VR Mode your PC can’t get a good enough frame rate with Crowds set to Ultra.

By having a different preset, you can launch the game with Crowds set to something lower when you’re playing in Steam VR Mode, and not have to change the settings every time you switch between 2D and Steam VR Modes.

In 1.9 Oculus VR Mode will use the same presets as 2D Mode. 

In 1.10 Oculus VR Mode will use the same presets as Steam VR Mode.

Oculus SDK as a whole came in rather late into the 1.9 timeline, and this final item didn’t make the submission deadline, but it’s coming in 1.10 🙂 

In short, between 1.9 and 1.10 you’ll have to manually set your graphics options when switching between Oculus VR Mode and 2D Mode. After 1.10, you should in theory only have to do it once.

• Like 3

Did someone get behind the scoring system in My Team Rally Career-Mode?

I did 4 events in the current championship: Got 2 wins and 2 2nd places.

2x 25 points + 2x 18 points = 86 points (FIA points rules).

But I have 114 points currently, and the runner-ups have 96, 91 and so on.

I...just don't get it 🤣

• Haha 1

Ahhhhem....   When?  Please?  on knees?  Throwing $$$ at screen.  Turn a great game into a legend!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

So I've been playing DR2.0 on my Xbox since I have game pass and fancied starting from scratch again, and I honestly don't know what all the people saying it was "blurry" were on about, it looks absolutely fine! Considering the lack of power of the console Codies did a great job optimising the game for it

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MattyH1812 said:

So I've been playing DR2.0 on my Xbox since I have game pass and fancied starting from scratch again, and I honestly don't know what all the people saying it was "blurry" were on about, it looks absolutely fine! Considering the lack of power of the console Codies did a great job optimising the game for it

I play on 4K and it's pretty good. Best looking racing game I have.

• Like 1

Just a thought. F1 2019 on standard Xbox one graphics are fantastic. The lighting is so much better than 2017 or 2018. Now DR 2.0 still has great graphics but is not as sharp as F1. But they're both Codemasters products so couldn't the graphics have been like F1 2019 or is that too simplistic a view? As a side point, Wreckfest ( Bugbear ) graphics are really sharp and crisp. My point is it's exactly the same hardware!!

42 minutes ago, cafe5150 said:

Just a thought. F1 2019 on standard Xbox one graphics are fantastic. The lighting is so much better than 2017 or 2018. Now DR 2.0 still has great graphics but is not as sharp as F1. But they're both Codemasters products so couldn't the graphics have been like F1 2019 or is that too simplistic a view? As a side point, Wreckfest ( Bugbear ) graphics are really sharp and crisp. My point is it's exactly the same hardware!!

I assume it is like how the Call of Duty games all use the IW game engine (originally Quake 3 Team Arena id tech 3 engine), but Infinity Ward, Trayarch (and anyone else who makes COD games); all use different versions of it.

So even though the hardware is mostly the same on the Xbox eco system (slight hardare differences between original X1 and X1S), I think the Codemasters games all use different iterations of their propriatry Ego game engine. So even though its the same hardware, its not nessicerally the exact same version of the game engine. Which is a shame if that is the case however, as it means things such VR support is only built in an on individal as and when. Would actually be great if the core engine had the VR systems built into it, assuming thats possible. So all the games Codemasters make could then potentially be in VR. Dirt Rally 1 is absolutly my favourite racing game in VR, but a close second is taking F1 cars out in Assetto Corsa in VR. I can only imagine how much fun it would be to race in F1 2019 in VR. Dirt Rally 2.0 could over take Dirt Rally 1's spot as my fave though, it just needs its some optimsation and some more work on the force feedback.

Edited by Ialyrn
  • Like 1