DiRTy Gossip

Lancer Evo IX is one particularly cool car that has been absent from rally games for a while. R4 class could maybe use one more car

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, MattyH1812 said:

Spain Germany and Monaco make a really nice mini rally championship, especially for RWD cars like the Rally GT class, one of my favourite things to do atm

Is someone going to make a club like this? If no one does, I could do it.

Loved the Manx International rally video, brought back memories of my many miles round the island - the roads there are superb, and notice the F2 cars they were running, that'd be an amazing location to have in DR 2.0, the rain and fog really changes up the roads there on a daily basis, lots of fun (not?) clearing your visor as you climb through the mountain section (my miles there were on motorcycle)

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, nPiipo said:

Is someone going to make a club like this? If no one does, I could do it.

Sounds great but how does it work? I join and then can compete with you and others? Will I get some money for the career?

Edited by Johnnnn
it was written in a hurry :D

3 hours ago, HoksuHoo said:

Lancer Evo IX is one particularly cool car that has been absent from rally games for a while. R4 class could maybe use one more car

The antilag is unreal on them too

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If there's going  to a tarmac dlc (probaly wont) it has to be an Irish tarmac rally tight lanes and big hedges with gravel and mud on corners and shiny tar when it rains😂(ino it's been said that Ireland won't be a dlc)

13 hours ago, Johnnnn said:

Wow, thanks. But still there must be some disadvantage. For instance, new tires every few minutes? 😄 So you slide everywhere and are fast? I tried rally-cross several times but I am not sure at all. I need to play it more first.

https://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/education

Enjoy 🙂 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Johnnnn said:

Wow, thanks. But still there must be some disadvantage. For instance, new tires every few minutes? 😄 So you slide everywhere and are fast? I tried rally-cross several times but I am not sure at all. I need to play it more first.

Yeah there's certainly disadvantages to sliding the car a lot, drivers like Solberg used to destroy tyres really early on in the weekend - and that hurt them a lot later on. Also powersliding every corner is actually not very fast at all.

Generally speaking the smoothest rallycross drivers are the quickest, just look at what Kristoffersson and Ekstrom were able to achieve, they don't rotate the car half as much as some of their rivals. You can watch footage of them online, pretty interesting to compare styles.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, mats27 said:

Yeah there's certainly disadvantages to sliding the car a lot, drivers like Solberg used to destroy tyres really early on in the weekend - and that hurt them a lot later on. Also powersliding every corner is actually not very fast at all.

Generally speaking the smoothest rallycross drivers are the quickest, just look at what Kristoffersson and Ekstrom were able to achieve, they don't rotate the car half as much as some of their rivals. You can watch footage of them online, pretty interesting to compare styles.

Thanks! It makes sense. You can have powerful car but physics is physics so still it makes sense to slide for something but not so much in general. Will check everything and start to play rally-cross more. I watched something already and it wasn't clear too me. One year ago I didn't even know rally-cross exists 😄 I met it first time in Project cars 2.

1 hour ago, Johnnnn said:

Thanks! It makes sense. You can have powerful car but physics is physics so still it makes sense to slide for something but not so much in general. Will check everything and start to play rally-cross more. I watched something already and it wasn't clear too me. One year ago I didn't even know rally-cross exists 😄 I met it first time in Project cars 2.

In DiRT 4 you could just throw with the Supercars and you wouldn't loose time. In DiRT Rally 2.0 you really need to drive a lot more tight and clean to go faster.

But it is really difficult to get the physics right as sometimes on gravel sideways is faster, and other time more tight is faster on gravel. and I think the developers went for a compromise. Overall the griplevels are still to high (and brakes to strong) in DR2.0, but it has been great step forward compared to the previous games. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, HoksuHoo said:

I'm pretty sure that porting stuff from a 12 year old game is not going to work, those stages are technically so dated and un-detailed compared to DR2.0 stages that they'd need to create entire new ones from scratch.

The cars that appear parked on stages in DR2.0 most likely have several times more polygons than the drivable cars in the first Dirt. That's how far apart the games are technically

GRID is reusing content from the first game that came out in 2008...
Most of the work is just to add more polys on the road, redo the trees and increase the texture definition...
And also add more kilometers 🙂

Edited by toninus
  • Disagree 1

The DiRT engine got a reworking between DiRT and DiRT2 which meant that Codies are unable to re-use tracks from earlier games in the series

28 minutes ago, toninus said:

Most of the work is just to add more polys on the road, redo the trees and increase the texture definition...
And also add more kilometers 🙂

Nothing to it then, eh? Couple of days work, right?

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, caerphoto said:

Yeah, you can just add a subsurf to the road, boom, done.

Ship the game.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JorritVD said:

But it is really difficult to get the physics right as sometimes on gravel sideways is faster, and other time more tight is faster on gravel.

It's as in real life, where using sliding technique depends on car's turn ability in particular conditions. since the more loose surface the more understeer, inducing oversteer by using handbrake or other techniques makes car goes thru a turn faster.

We can see that on gravel, snow mostly. But in some conditions it might be a successful method for tarmac too (like very tight hairpin) . 

Since the line between to slide or not to slide (efficiency-wise) is not strictly defined, the success depends on a driver skill which has to decide how to manage a turn. Of course taking into account tires wear which obviously impacts their future performance.

Edited by MaXyMsrpl
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, caerphoto said:

I'm not saying that either, lol.
But probably easier than starting to work on a new location from scratch.

Anyways, I don't expect news about a second year of dlcs before january. But a Christmas blog about it would be sweet.

Edited by toninus

7 hours ago, JorritVD said:

In DiRT 4 you could just throw with the Supercars and you wouldn't loose time. In DiRT Rally 2.0 you really need to drive a lot more tight and clean to go faster.

But it is really difficult to get the physics right as sometimes on gravel sideways is faster, and other time more tight is faster on gravel. and I think the developers went for a compromise. Overall the griplevels are still to high (and brakes to strong) in DR2.0, but it has been great step forward compared to the previous games. 

OK. It's problematic because I am not sure if real physics is completely clear but we have simulated physics in game. So it depends but simulated one looks OK in sense of a grip.

2 hours ago, toninus said:

I'm not saying that either, lol.
But probably easier than starting to work on a new location from scratch.

Anyways, I don't expect news about a second year of dlcs before january. But a Christmas blog about it would be sweet.

I always think about sales 😄 They are probably bad but it depends. You can use assets from other CM games and licenses could have some good deals. So maybe it could make sense to support the game for few fans. Even with Game pass one new friend only started to play. Could be about good name for the whole company. Probably not for money 😄

Posted (edited)

if they're just going to remake locations from old games, I want Croatia, China, Malaysia, Morocco, Michigan, Utah, Norway, and Kenya from Dirt 2 & 3. the trailblazer tracks could even be used. they'd be interesting for top-speed runs in RGT and Group B classes...

i mean, it's totally unrealistic, but if we're seriously going to go there, let's go there lol

Edited by ianism
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like we're "missing" Corsica.

IMG_20190821_184707.jpg

Edited by F2CMaDMaXX
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

Looks like we're "missing" Corsica.

IMG_20190821_184707.jpg

Indonesia from CMR1 with modern graphics & physics would be awesome, remember those sandy beaches, rice fields & villages and swamps

• Like 2