DiRTy Gossip

6 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

I know it improved quite a bit but why are people still allowed there ? I mean we all agree humans excel in one thing. Being idiots and unpredictable. It is just too dangerous for them, for the drivers and for the sport itself. I really dont see the point. 

Usually high budget /organized rally like nationals/euro and wrc they are very safe imo...all the dangerous spots are closed to the public...in kinda “low tier” rally (in particular in longer stages) you can’t avoid the fact that people are stupid...you can’t control every turn in a 12 km stage.it’s simply impossible 

like in every event in every sport: the more is the budget,the more it’s organized and the more is safe

Edited by AlexSpartan316
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

I dont really know. I mean I never had the chance actually but also never looked/tried to attend one. I did racing myself but on skis not on cars 🙂

To me, that sounds much more dangerous! It would be if I did it, anyway...

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

In fairness, it's not actually that dangerous. Is there a chance? Yes, but there's a chance of an accident every time I take a plane ride or cross the road. But it's like saying "why go watch cricket, you may get hit by a ball?".

Before any rally comes through, you have at least 6 safety vehicles that come through the stage, moving people from anywhere they consider to be dangerous. One of those, at WRC events, is Michele Mouton who has a reputation of being VERY stringent. You'll notice how the positions I mentioned (trees and cliffs) are at altitude, I wouldn't ever stand on the outside of a corner and wouldn't be allowed to either. They will also cancel stages if spectators are deemed to be in an unacceptably dangerous position.

So safety improved at least a bit since the videos of Walter Röhrl in the 80s. In the video I posted you can see a crazy insane scene in which he is driving literally through people ... people are running out of the track just split seconds before the car arrives. Total madness and disrespect for life. 

Edited by koog2003

7 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

So safety improved at least a bit since the videos of Walter Röhrl in the 80s. In the video I posted you can see a crazy insane scene in which he is driving literally through people ... people are running out of the track just split seconds before the car arrives. Total madness and disrespect for life. 

Definitely, that's changed - both attitudes to driver safety and to spectator safety. If you read up on the 1985 and 1986 seasons you'll find out about the 'tipping point', the moments which changed attitudes and started the path towards the relative driver and spectator safety we have today.

Not sure if you follow circuit racing, but Le Mans 1955 and then incidents like Francois Cevert's death and Niki Lauda's accident in the 70s had the same effect on top level racing.

Edited by RodgerDavies
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RodgerDavies said:

Definitely, that's changed - both attitudes to driver safety and to spectator safety. If you read up on the 1985 and 1986 seasons you'll find out about the 'tipping point', the moments which changed attitudes and started the path towards the relative driver and spectator safety we have today.

"On the first stage of the 1986 Rally Portugal, Joaquim Santos lost control of his Ford RS200 while trying to avoid spectators on the road, crashing into a crowd of spectators, killing three and injuring over thirty" 

This one ?

The complete list of accidents with the spectators is actually a lot tinier than what I was thinking. Still I guess this is WRC top of the top. On the lower leagues or amateurs there must have been a lot more. 

Edited by koog2003

3 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

"On the first stage of the 1986 Rally Portugal, Joaquim Santos lost control of his Ford RS200 while trying to avoid spectators on the road, crashing into a crowd of spectators, killing three and injuring over thirty" 

This one ?

Modern rallying is nothing like it was in the 80’s, those were insane times! Maybe you should take the time to go and watch a rally live and see what all the fuss is about.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, tonzboher said:

Modern rallying is nothing like it was in the 80’s, those were insane times! Maybe you should take the time to go and watch a rally live and see what all the fuss is about.

I have a better idea. I am going to get into VR, spin up Dirt Rally 2.0 and spend the whole damn day (no kid today) racing with the 80s cars 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have a better idea. I am going to get into VR, spin up Dirt Rally 2.0 and spend the whole damn day (no kid today) racing with the 80s cars 🙂

You do that buddy! 😂😂 that will give you a real feel of what rally is all about! Abit like following a soccer team and not actually going to see a game live, not really the same thing🙄

• Haha 1

I have seen many rallies and it’s like a drug,but I have to say the best Motorsport feeling that I had was 2 years ago.i went in usa for the holidays,and I had the privilege to spectate a top fuel nhra nitro race for the first time...goddamnit 10000+ hp of madness...you really feel that into your bones...almost scary..the feel,the smell,the flames...just unbelievable 

those beasts really amaze me...they are so wild that they have to rebuild the engine after every run...4/less seconds life engines lol

Edited by AlexSpartan316
Spell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, koog2003 said:

This one ?

The complete list of accidents with the spectators is actually a lot tinier than what I was thinking. Still I guess this is WRC top of the top. On the lower leagues or amateurs there must have been a lot more. 

Yes... Joaquim Santos crash in Sintra, and the death of the great Henri Toivonen while driving the Lancia S4 brought the end of the Group B cars (due to the danger those crazy cars where, both to drivers and spectators), and the introduction of stricter safety rules. Nowadays, at least in WRC events and major national rallyes, spectators have to be inside security boxes which are previously designated and marked by the organization and it is somewhat common to have some stages cancelled if the event organizers deems there are spectators in dangerous and not allowed places... 

Back in those days, it was fairly common to see pictures like this on e, from Hannu Mikolla in the Portugal Rally, but that changed...

6007082016.jpg.5c5ac502b20003db4934fd9937e28434.jpg

As others mentioned, nothing is 100% bullet proof, but, if you follow the rules and have a bit of common sense, it's actually pretty safe and a great adrenaline rush, to spectate a rally event... Try it if and when you can, you will shift your opinion for sure...

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Opassac said:

As others mentioned, nothing is 100% bullet proof, but, if you follow the rules and have a bit of common sense, it's actually pretty safe and a great adrenaline rush, to spectate a rally event... Try it if and when you can, you will shift your opinion for sure...

Which would be the closest event from Amsterdam NL ? 

Being portuguese, i have no idea of what are the closest national events over there, but the nearest WRC rallys are probably Germany and Wales... 

47 minutes ago, koog2003 said:

You just miss hellendoorn and Conrad twente rally,anyway on the site you have the complete schedule.sadly you miss the last nl event...maybe in 2020 when they release the new calendar for Nederland keep an eye on the list.

https://www.ewrc-results.com/calendar/?s=2019&sct=25&nat=24

Edited by AlexSpartan316

4 hours ago, AlexSpartan316 said:

Usually high budget /organized rally like nationals/euro and wrc they are very safe imo

Yeah, I'd agree with that, most rallies I have been to in recent years have been really well run. Seen a few daft things...

4 hours ago, AlexSpartan316 said:

you can’t avoid the fact that people are stupid...you can’t control every turn in a 12 km stage.it’s simply impossible 

...and I absolutely agree with this, but people on most events (especially the bigger ones) have been sensible. 

The only exception to the above rule - and perhaps the video you watched @koog2003? - is RallyLegend. I went in 2017 and it was absolute madness (especially the night stages). The crowd were controlled before the first car ran through, then seemed to spill out everywhere as the night went on. It was absolutely awesome and I am gutted I couldn't get there again this year!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, koog2003 said:

Rally Germany, lots to top rallies in Holland, go to ypres in Belgium next year 

7 hours ago, RodgerDavies said:

In fairness, it's not actually that dangerous. Is there a chance? Yes, but there's a chance of an accident every time I take a plane ride or cross the road. But it's like saying "why go watch cricket, you may get hit by a ball?".

Oh, please, it is not. No one watches Cricket or understands how it works. The only thing I know is that it's a bastardization of the genocide of an entire alien species.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tbtstt said:

Yeah, I'd agree with that, most rallies I have been to in recent years have been really well run. Seen a few daft things...

...and I absolutely agree with this, but people on most events (especially the bigger ones) have been sensible. 

The only exception to the above rule - and perhaps the video you watched @koog2003? - is RallyLegend. I went in 2017 and it was absolute madness (especially the night stages). The crowd were controlled before the first car ran through, then seemed to spill out everywhere as the night went on. It was absolutely awesome and I am gutted I couldn't get there again this year!

We have to admit tho RallyLegend it’s a special case XD ...drivers are aware that the crowd it’s absolutely crazy (and they love it) and the rally itself it’s more like a show than a proper competition...also the roads used are tight and pretty slow,without very high speed sections. I couldn’t get there either this year...and i’m pretty sad about that...there’s not such a rally display in the entire world....just crazy and beautiful.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

Oh, please, it is not. No one watches Cricket or understands how it works. The only thing I know is that it's a bastardization of the genocide of an entire alien species.

I’ve always seen it like the Low budget knockoff version of baseball...no offense (i’m not into these kind of sports)

Edited by AlexSpartan316

10 hours ago, koog2003 said:

Oh, man, you’re in a great spot: Belgium is one of the best rallying countries, so if you don’t mind about it being WRC then check out their calendar (Condroz, Spa, Ypres for example).

If you want a WRC one, can you drive? If you’re in Amsterdam you have cheap flights to many events (I can do pretty much any European event for <€200 total).

6 hours ago, JZStudios said:

excellent hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy reference!

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

If you want to see people hit a ball real fast, hurling's where it's at 😉 

of course the Irish person just had to chip in. I just don't get the point of that gigantic net... it's so easy to score! lacrosse is quite similar but is played like ice hockey. hurling is cool though and it definitely inspired JK Rowling when she came up with Quidditch. baseball and cricket kinda suck.

a couple of spectators (one of them a teenager) died at hockey games in the early 00s because they got hit in the head by stray pucks that had ricocheted into the crowd at like 100km/h. so nowadays there's netting suspended from the rafters and attached to the glass that surrounds the rink to prevent that kind of thing. the glass also breaks occasionally if there's a heavy body check into it or someone shoots the puck hard enough, but it's much stronger than it used to be, and is also made differently so it's less likely to cut the spectators sitting right behind it.

Edited by ianism

18 minutes ago, ianism said:

of course the Irish person just had to chip in. I just don't get the point of that gigantic net... it's so easy to score! 

Not sure what you mean by “the Irish person just had to chip in”, there’s more than just @PJTierney who is Irish on this forum and What gigantic net are you referring to?? 

51 minutes ago, tonzboher said:

Not sure what you mean by “the Irish person just had to chip in”, there’s more than just @PJTierney who is Irish on this forum and What gigantic net are you referring to?? 

haha sorry I was just being silly.

the gigantic goal (we can them nets in north america). as someone who grew up with hockey, it's just obscene. but then it involves much longer-range shots, so it works out I guess (though the scores are 5-10x higher)

8 hours ago, AlexSpartan316 said:

I’ve always seen it like the Low budget knockoff version of baseball...no offense (i’m not into these kind of sports)

As far as I understand, you hit a ball with a dumb paddle-bat, run straight at the "bowler" and then back.

5 hours ago, PJTierney said:

If you want to see people hit a ball real fast, hurling's where it's at 😉 

For a second I thought you were talking curling, and I was very confused. Way to go Canada.

2 hours ago, ianism said:

a couple of spectators (one of them a teenager) died at hockey games in the early 00s because they got hit in the head by stray pucks that had ricocheted into the crowd at like 100km/h. so nowadays there's netting suspended from the rafters and attached to the glass that surrounds the rink to prevent that kind of thing. the glass also breaks occasionally if there's a heavy body check into it or someone shoots the puck hard enough, but it's much stronger than it used to be, and is also made differently so it's less likely to cut the spectators sitting right behind it.

I haven't been to a hockey game in a few years, but there weren't any nets. I always ended up getting bored and wandering off since... it might've been before I got my glasses so I couldn't actually see anything. The Zamboni driver is the most impressive one there.