DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I'll see if I can have a chat with our handling designer who may be able to drop some insight 🙂 

• Thanks 4

the thing is even if it isnt based on a center pivot the point is it feels like it when driving. if someone actually admits to it who makes it i will be highly suprised.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I'll see if I can have a chat with our handling designer who may be able to drop some insight 🙂 

Yeah, doubt they will go go into detail about it, but hopefully he/she will have a look at the conversation about it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I hope the handling designer will respond and take into consideration some of the things that we are asking for improvements on.

In response to people saying that they will probably just tweak the engine and handling, I think they have tweaked it as much as they can. It's time for something new and more capable, engine-wise. The current EGO engine is end of life as far as I'm concerned. The fact that we can't have longer stages is proof enough. When you consider the new consoles, the old engine just isn't up to the task of offering a considerably better experience proportional to the capabilities of the new hardware. You can only patch an engine for so long before you need a new foundation. The Ego engine has been used since Dirt 2 I believe so it's had a good long life. Time to retire it and replace it with something better. I am excited to see what they do and am hoping for much more than tweaks to a tired, old engine.

Really hoping that the next Dirt Rally title is not cross-gen. That would be the technological equivalent of trying to swim with an anchor tired to your waist. Too many compromises would need to be made for it to run on the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, not to mention the older, less powerful versions of those consoles. PCs, XSX, XSS and the PS5 are much more powerful than the previous gen, so I want to see what they are capable of. With RDNA 2 and hardware capabilities like Direct Storage, VRS, Ray Tracing, etc. they should be able to do something magnitudes better than the previous title. The MUCH better CPU and storage will also provide a huge boost and raise the capabilities ceiling quite a bit. The technical director of Dirt 5 (David Springate) was saying that hardware resources dedicated to things like ray tracing can actually be used to do many other things and their uses are far less finite than people realize.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

well they dirt games are arent they. regardless if its dirt or dirt rally they just alternate. something has got to be put out and they arent going to start from scratch to make a whole new physics engine. it will be things tweaked but still have the same sort of flaws underneath.

not really true about you have to update things. if its right in the first place its right ! what you just said is actually the worst thing in gaming ! it ruins some of the best games ever made.

you dont paint the mona lisa for eg. then 5 years later oh...lets just add a hat. :classic_biggrin:

this happens in so many games. h1z1 for eg was the bees knees one big update everyone stopped playing it over night. people are working being paid what you done this week or month oh i made this right lets add that . regardless of whether it actually makes the game better but someones been working paid so it goes in. ends up making the game worse than it was.

so when a games great dont ! update it. or at least ask yourself does it really make the game better ?

Dirt rally for eg and the tarmac. early on.

Forza and Forza Horizon are in the same situation. They help each other out, but aren't directly tied. The physics in Horizon are not the same as Motorsport. Except actually, now that Dirt has an entirely separate engine from Dirt Rally and it's not like there's never been any physics changes since the launch of the Ego engine at the start of the 360 era, this is a bad argument.

Updating, improving, and adding new features are key to making yearly or bi-yearly releases not stagnate, unless of course you're COD and people like playing the exact same thing for 20 years. Every major franchise has done this to great success. Halo (the Bungie ones), Grand Theft Auto, Assassins Creed slightly, Battlefield, Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon, God of War, Arma, the list goes on. every good sequel has improvements and advancements. Every time a change kills a game, it was a ****** change or broken ****, like everything 343 has done with Halo since they got it.

No one's painting over the Mona Lisa. You make a sequel. I can't even believe you said that, it's so asinine.

Early access titles made by people with no actual goals or deadlines are a moot point, and frankly 90-99% of them are failures and at this point anyone buying into them is kind of dumb. The only EA title I bought into was DR because I knew it was CM and they'd actually have a release deadline and a plan and a game would actually happen.

Dirt Rally had a physics overhaul...?

Hello to whoever it is that decide which cars we going to get in the bonus dailys/weeklies/monthlies: would you please let us decide which cars we want to use and not limit everyone to the same one, at least not always? It went a bit over the top since the flat out dlc got released. Thanks

2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Forza and Forza Horizon are in the same situation. They help each other out, but aren't directly tied. The physics in Horizon are not the same as Motorsport. Except actually, now that Dirt has an entirely separate engine from Dirt Rally and it's not like there's never been any physics changes since the launch of the Ego engine at the start of the 360 era, this is a bad argument.

Updating, improving, and adding new features are key to making yearly or bi-yearly releases not stagnate, unless of course you're COD and people like playing the exact same thing for 20 years. Every major franchise has done this to great success. Halo (the Bungie ones), Grand Theft Auto, Assassins Creed slightly, Battlefield, Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon, God of War, Arma, the list goes on. every good sequel has improvements and advancements. Every time a change kills a game, it was a ****** change or broken ****, like everything 343 has done with Halo since they got it.

No one's painting over the Mona Lisa. You make a sequel. I can't even believe you said that, it's so asinine.

Early access titles made by people with no actual goals or deadlines are a moot point, and frankly 90-99% of them are failures and at this point anyone buying into them is kind of dumb. The only EA title I bought into was DR because I knew it was CM and they'd actually have a release deadline and a plan and a game would actually happen.

Dirt Rally had a physics overhaul...?

you seem to be missing or making your own point without realizing what you putting or are realizing what you saying to benefit your own reply.

they arent making new engines for each games regardless just adjusting so it works. simple. i didnt say the game hasnt been updated or engine since the 360 you just did. so you made a bad arguement not me.

you are just making plus points to your own debate. no one said stagnate i said make something right and it dont need updating. simple. you just said cod cods been updated every year for last nearly 20 years. so it makes no sense.

painting mona lisa is a simple eg of why you dont change whats right. simple to understand.

no early access with passion made a game better than a designed well budgeted game. that speaks volumes.

yeah dirt rally 1 tarmac early on was better than when it was updated. proving exactly what i said.

10 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

the thing is even if it isnt based on a center pivot the point is it feels like it when driving. if someone actually admits to it who makes it i will be highly suprised.

If she sinks she's a witch. And if she floats then I also feel she's a witch, because she's using witchcraft to float. 

How about we at least wait and get some facts on the table on this. And maybe then move the goalposts. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

you seem to be missing or making your own point without realizing what you putting or are realizing what you saying to benefit your own reply.

This isn't English. I have no idea what you're trying to insinuate.

they arent making new engines for each games regardless just adjusting so it works. simple. i didnt say the game hasnt been updated or engine since the 360 you just did. so you made a bad arguement not me.

Dirt 5 is now on a completely separate engine, meaning the physics can be, and probably are, completely independent. The physics engine and other aspects are also generally overhauled and changed over time. UE4 is not the same as when it launched. As to you not saying they don't update it;

well they dirt games are arent they. regardless if its dirt or dirt rally they just alternate. something has got to be put out and they arent going to start from scratch to make a whole new physics engine. it will be things tweaked but still have the same sort of flaws underneath.

Which isn't true. They've reworked the physics engine, and it wouldn't be starting over from scratch. You make changes, add new features, more calculations. You don't just throw everything away and start over, and even if they did, they have a 2 year dev cycle. So yes, you made a bad argument because you don't understand what you're talking about. UE4 has a new audio engine pipeline, they didn't just chuck all of the old pipeline and any projects being made in the meantime simply just used what was already present while they work on stuff in the background. If the system was set in stone with only minor changes they wouldn't need anyone to work on it.

you are just making plus points to your own debate. no one said stagnate i said make something right and it dont need updating. simple. you just said cod cods been updated every year for last nearly 20 years. so it makes no sense.

Again, not English. I have to pull out my cryptology 101 book to figure out what the hell you're trying to say. You said that changing games "ruins games." That leads to stagnation. I don't understand what you're misunderstanding. I specifically said from the start that DiRT isn't a yearly title and could have physics changes during that 2 year dev cycle and you tell me that "Changing games ruins them" and "You don't paint over the Mona Lisa" like that has anything to do with what I said.

painting mona lisa is a simple eg of why you dont change whats right. simple to understand.

No. I can't understand what argument you're trying to make. It's not like the Mona Lisa was the only painting done by da Vinci. And he kept adding to it until he died and it took him 5 years to "finish it" before that.

no early access with passion made a game better than a designed well budgeted game. that speaks volumes.

yeah dirt rally 1 tarmac early on was better than when it was updated. proving exactly what i said.

I don't know what that means. English dude, you speak it. You may as well type in wingdings for how hard it is to try and understand what the **** you're trying to say. I genuinely don't know what you're trying to say.

1. No early access title with passion is better than a well developed game? That seems contrary to your argument.
  2. No, early access titles with passion ARE better than a well developed game?
  3. What speaks volumes, what are we talking about? I don't understand!

You have no idea what was updated or how. It's not like either was especially realistic.

Edited by JZStudios

so you think they totally remade dirt in one year ? okay. just leave it there. :classic_biggrin: look at the history. every thing goes against that since the games began. its always been tweak bolt on to exisiting tech.

blah blah just use english to get out of the reality.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dgeesi0 said:

so you think they totally remade dirt in one year ? okay. just leave it there. :classic_biggrin: look at the history. every thing goes against that since the games began. its always been tweak bolt on to exisiting tech.

blah blah just use english to get out of the reality.

What the **** are we talking about?

You make that argument and it's false every time. You speak English, and yet manage to find a way to type sentences specifically so they have zero ******* meaning, or possibly 3 or 4 contradicting meanings so I don't know what the hell you're trying to say. It's frustrating trying to talk to you and decipher your Navajo code. Seriously, when WW3 breaks out, join in on making the enigma machine, because Holy ****.

As you responded before my edit, I'm going to reiterate and ask you to clarify this sentence, because I legitimately don't know what you're trying to say.

1. No early access title with passion is better than a well developed game? That seems contrary to your argument and agrees with me.
  2. No, early access titles with passion ARE better than a well developed game? I... you're opinion. It's very rarely ever true, most EA titles end in cancellation or failure.
  3. What speaks volumes, what are we talking about? I don't understand!

Y'know, I just realized you type like autofill on phones. The words are real, and there's almost enough connection to try and make sense of it, but at the end of the day it's basically just reading lorem ipsum. For example;

"You doing here is my favorite part of the royal Caribbean Cruise line of work to get the best way for you to be able to make it"

Tell me what the **** that means, please. Maybe you can make sense of it, because I was just hitting random words. I'm frankly impressed royal Caribbean cruise managed to come up.

Edited by JZStudios
  • Like 1

do they really have to design a new engine just to remove the center pivot? I am not familiar with coding or game design.

Edited by Orangetuner

he's like trying to say game engines aren't worth the risk of recourses to improve it if its already "good enough". Imagine thinking that way and RBR NGP not being what it is.  Cmon dude.

A game is nothing more than an experience in art form. Because the experience is art from you can only make it better by improving what makes it feel satisfying to play. Of course it is always worth the recourses. The better something feels the more successful it will be. Its like a master chef's recipe. I bet he didn't start off with it the way it is now... it was gradually built upon by him from trial and error.

• Like 2

I want a Royal Caribbean cruise to be part of DR3.0

Maybe as a thing you can do in-between rallies. And then when you get really high in your career you get your own yacht that you fill with an entire Moscow ballet troupe, like Bruce Wayne did

• Haha 4
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Jake Cushing said:

I want a Royal Caribbean cruise to be part of DR3.0

High Seas Rally - The World's Only Biker Rally on a Cruise Ship

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

I didn't really wish to enter that debate, but:

On 11/19/2020 at 7:07 AM, dgeesi0 said:

No. No it does not 'prove' anything.

But it is a seriously daft statement.

"I preferred a version of tarmac handling that was changed during early access in DR, therefore it proves that nothing should be updated or improved during the life cycle of a game, or that the early access model of doing improvements after initial release is totally useless."

Is your avatar actually you?

On 11/18/2020 at 8:21 PM, somethingthing said:

Hello to whoever it is that decide which cars we going to get in the bonus dailys/weeklies/monthlies: would you please let us decide which cars we want to use and not limit everyone to the same one, at least not always? It went a bit over the top since the flat out dlc got released. Thanks

I actually like it this way.
But it would be better, if they would do it on the normal events too and "open up" 2 or 3 of the bonus events.

The normal "old" events are quite boring, because they are always limited to the 6 base locations and base classes.
At least limit 1 daily and 1 weekly to one base car, preffered a weaker car what is not getting much attention otherwise, would be cool.

Unfortunately it seems we can only have restricted to one car or one class and not limited to specific cars.

A filter option for leaderboards, were you can see only the car you used on the board would have been also nice.
Gives a bigger incentive to you use slower cars from time to time.

@the current topic about car physics:

I just imagined a DR2.0-designer looking at this thread and rolling with the eyes and saying "nerds...".
Just saying 😃

4 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

I actually like it this way.
But it would be better, if they would do it on the normal events too and "open up" 2 or 3 of the bonus events.

The normal "old" events are quite boring, because they are always limited to the 6 base locations and base classes.
At least limit 1 daily and 1 weekly to one base car, preffered a weaker car what is not getting much attention otherwise, would be cool.

Unfortunately it seems we can only have restricted to one car or one class and not limited to specific cars.

A filter option for leaderboards, were you can see only the car you used on the board would have been also nice.
Gives a bigger incentive to you use slower cars from time to time.

@the current topic about car physics:

I just imagined a DR2.0-designer looking at this thread and rolling with the eyes and saying "nerds...".
Just saying 😃

I dont mind an event or two being locked to one specific car but it have gotten too much.
This is how it looks on available events that have one car as im typing this post:
Daily Poland: Opel Manta

Daily Scotland: Opel Manta

Weekly Poland: Peugeot 306

Weekly New Zealand: Ford Focus 07

Monthly challenge: Peugeot 306

6 minutes ago, somethingthing said:

I dont mind an event or two being locked to one specific car but it have gotten too much.
This is how it looks on available events that have one car as im typing this post:
Daily Poland: Opel Manta

Daily Scotland: Opel Manta

Weekly Poland: Peugeot 306

Weekly New Zealand: Ford Focus 07

Monthly challenge: Peugeot 306

Well, it's the 206, so not THAT bad 😜
But yeah, locking all events behind 1 car is maybe a bit too much.
Is it every day like that?
I didn't play much My Team lately.

4 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Well, it's the 206, so not THAT bad 😜
But yeah, locking all events behind 1 car is maybe a bit too much.
Is it every day like that?
I didn't play much My Team lately.

I think it was a weekly 306 only last week too, that time in greece and not too long ago it was 306 in New Zealand. Yeah, bonus dailys are very often one car only.

Edit: aaaah its 206, whatever. The bot or the person that setup the events really like that car.. 😄

Edited by somethingthing

1 minute ago, somethingthing said:

I think it was a weekly 306 only last week too, that time in greece and not too long ago it was 306 in New Zealand. Yeah, bonus dailys are very often one car only.

Ah, you didn't got my joke 😪
206, not 306.
206 = yay
306 = errfgh

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Ah, you didn't got my joke 😪
206, not 306.
206 = yay
306 = errfgh

haha, i got it just as you typed this post apparently because i just edited my post 😛 Both the 206 and 306 is yay but its fun to race against different cars on the leaderboard too. Since community events are the only way except career to upgrade the car aswell..

Also, Im pretty sure one event was locked to the Manta yesterday, in Finland iirc. It just seems broken.

Edited by somethingthing