DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×
FORUM MAINTENANCE | 11/05/2021 AM Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

7 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Oh, an insider...ok...I seem to know were this will be heading to...
Nothing of what you wrote you can actually know for sure.
EA is known for closing servers very early.

It's basically guaranteed. With or without EA the servers would eventually be shut down. When has EA shut down servers very early for a game that wasn't a massive flop that no one plays? I'm pretty sure Anthem still has servers running.

And there's no way you can be sure EA will make your nonsense concerns.

Not a hugely multiplayer game? Basically 70% of the game is based on multiplayer!
Leaderboards everywhere and My Team-Events, Time Trial and Clubs are the go to-modes for me.
The My Team-Career is just a set of random custom championship-rallies with forced online connection, wich destroys the save from time to time.

Compared to Battlefield, Fifa, Madden, Battlefront, Anthem, NFS games that have more than 1 car at a time, no. It's not hugely multiplayer. Most people will do the "online" career mode or single races. There's no incentive to do online rallying when it's just the same as doing time trials since there's only 1 car on track at a time. Leaderboards, My-Team, Time Trial, and Clubs aren't really multiplayer. It's just uploading times. Let's not pretend it's anything but. The only actual multiplayer aspect of the game is online RX, which a lot of people don't play because they only want rally.

And you don't get why I think EA will do everything worse?
Need for Speed (2015)? Online only-game.
Need for Speed: Payback? Built around lootbox mechanics.
Star Wars: Battlefront? No Campaign.
Just recent games. Didn't bought a single one of them.
They always try to find new ways to control the player and annoy them with new greedy mechanics.

NFS 2015 got **** for that. NFS Payback and Heat are no longer online only. NFS 2015 also actually had MP elements, unlike DR2.

NFS Payback got **** for that. NFS Heat has no lootboxes.

Battlefront has a campaign. That's just false. It was also marketed and sold around it being MP, so even if that was true it's not like they lied.

Sure they do. You weren't arguing that. You were arguing online only, to which I responded saying they have no reason to do that.

Because I can look forward and see were the games industry is heading to.
Especially the big publishers try to establish a service model, because it generates more profit.
Less content, but more cosmetic nonsense.

1. That's not looking forward. Games as a service are already very prominent. I don't know any of them outside actual service model games like WOW or iRacing with a monthly subscription that don't let you keep what you bought, at least until the servers inevitably die. But at that point the player count is too low to play them most of the time anyway, which is why they shut down.
  2. In order for that to happen the game would have to be entirely online, which is unlikely as mentioned prior. Outside iRacing I see no alternative for a "game as a service" within racing games. If you purchase the content there's a very high chance that it'll have single races you can do with said content offline.
  3. Nothing about the original statement makes any actual sense.

Season Pass: You pay for a bundle of DLC you own from start (or preorder) and can use whenever you want (when its released).
Battle Pass (or F1 2020 names it Podium Pass): You pay for a season and have to unlock the content in a specific time through XP and/or specific challenges. You are always under pressure, if you want what you payed for.

F1 2020, Red Dead Online, Fortnite, Apex Legends are examples, who have these kind of passes.

I guess. I think they're dumb and I don't really care about skins, but it's the incentive for people to keep playing the games since everyone has the attention span of a fruit fly. It's like DLC without actually having to do any work.

The award for the most arrogant post of the month goes to...

You? You seem very headstrong that EA absolutely WILL implement all this.

8 hours ago, JZStudios said:

It's basically guaranteed. With or without EA the servers would eventually be shut down. When has EA shut down servers very early for a game that wasn't a massive flop that no one plays? I'm pretty sure Anthem still has servers running.

That's not the point I made.
I said "in the next few years".
I'm aware of them being shut down at some point.

They are way more than enough examples of games being shut off within less than 5 years by EA.

And there's no way you can be sure EA will make your nonsense concerns.

Nonsense concerns?
These are my fears and opinions, please respect others opinions.
Your opinion is not the holy grail.
I don't get why you think you need to bash my opinions and fears like that.

Compared to Battlefield, Fifa, Madden, Battlefront, Anthem, NFS games that have more than 1 car at a time, no. It's not hugely multiplayer. Most people will do the "online" career mode or single races. There's no incentive to do online rallying when it's just the same as doing time trials since there's only 1 car on track at a time. Leaderboards, My-Team, Time Trial, and Clubs aren't really multiplayer. It's just uploading times. Let's not pretend it's anything but. The only actual multiplayer aspect of the game is online RX, which a lot of people don't play because they only want rally.

I think we have different opinions what multiplayer actually is.
Everything PvP-based is multiplayer, there is no more or less in terms of the definition.
There are just different forms of it.
Thats how I see it.

9 hours ago, JZStudios said:

NFS 2015 got **** for that. NFS Payback and Heat are no longer online only. NFS 2015 also actually had MP elements, unlike DR2.

NFS Payback got **** for that. NFS Heat has no lootboxes.

Still confirms that EA tries over and over again to p*** off there fanbase.
And arguing, DR2 has no MP elements lets me question your knowledge of the game at all.
You can even rally at the same time on track via custom online modes.

Battlefront has a campaign. That's just false. It was also marketed and sold around it being MP, so even if that was true it's not like they lied.

Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) does not have a campaign mode. Please inform yourself, before arguing with objectively wrong statements.
It was a big ********* back then and they announced that just before the release, the only reason why I know that.

Something shitstormy was around Star Wars: Battlefront II, too, but I can't remember exactly what it this time was...
I think something P2W-esque around some characters? But not sure anymore and thats the reason I didn't put that in intially.

Ah, ok, mircrotransactions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Battlefront_II_(2017_video_game)

Sure they do. You weren't arguing that. You were arguing online only, to which I responded saying they have no reason to do that.

I actually did, with pretty much almost all concerns I made.
And I explained why they have a reason to do that, but you seem not to listen.
And these are my FEARS, I didn't say they 100% actually do that.
There are also positive examples for sure, like my last EA game: Mirror's Edge: Catalyst.
Actually really liked it. Not as legend as the first one, but...good.

That's not looking forward. Games as a service are already very prominent. I don't know any of them outside actual service model games like WOW or iRacing with a monthly subscription that don't let you keep what you bought, at least until the servers inevitably die. But at that point the player count is too low to play them most of the time anyway, which is why they shut down.

And thats just wrong in my opinion.
When I buy something I wanna play it as long as I want and not let others decide when I have to stop, because it's not profitable enough anymore.
I understand that most service-games only work with a certain user base and it wouldn't make sense to keep them alive, if there is no one playing, but I don't think a rally game should be built around that. That's my fear.
I just don't want a fully focused online-multiplayer-service-game.

In order for that to happen the game would have to be entirely online, which is unlikely as mentioned prior. Outside iRacing I see no alternative for a "game as a service" within racing games. If you purchase the content there's a very high chance that it'll have single races you can do with said content offline.

So you wanna tell me, you don't see the general direction the industry is heading to?
Not only EA or Codemasters.
DR2.0 is already largely online only, because it doesn't even have a proper career mode thats playable offline.
And EA is definitely going the online-service route with games like Star Wars: Battlefront II, NfS: Heat, Fifa 21 UT, Anthem and so on.
Not only EA, I know, but that doesn't make it less frightening.

Nothing about the original statement makes any actual sense.

Oh it makes sense, if you just would look a few steps into the future of gaming.
As an example (not EA, but it is just a matter of time everyone does it): Bungie kicked literally almost all of the content from vanilla Destiny 2 I bought in 2017 into a "vault" and is therefore not playable anymore, until Bungie decides otherwise.
The remaining content are DLCs released later + the new content released in november.
It's just a matter of time, when the older DLCs (also bought) get kicked out of the game also.
So you need to pay regularly, to keep playing the game you bought already.

I know, it's a service game and it doesn't mean every single game out there will go this way, but with streaming on the way, subscription-based games seem to be the future, but not with me.
Especially with racing games with all those license-deals mean they would have a short life span.

I guess. I think they're dumb and I don't really care about skins, but it's the incentive for people to keep playing the games since everyone has the attention span of a fruit fly. It's like DLC without actually having to do any work.

Another arrogant comment.
Again, you should inform yourself better, before posting.
Look at the Podium Pass for F1 2020 and see what you have to do to get all this stuff you already payed for.
Most of the time, the skins are not actually the problem. More the FOMO-effect the developers wanna reach.
Calling people dumb because of that is just ignorant.
We are talking about kids and hardcore-completionists here, who are prone to those developer-strategies.

You? You seem very headstrong that EA absolutely WILL implement all this.

Really? My argumented concerns about the EA-deal make me look more arrogant than you rating my fears?
I mean...really?

Btw, EA did "made" (well one of their studios) one of my most favorite single player offline games quite recently: Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. It is so far the only game on my PlayStation where I got platinum for 😄

There was a trend indeed with lootboxing at EA. But fans responded about that at Star Wars Battlefront II, even though it had a single player part. But gamers not wanted it and BF2 was in a pretty **** situation. EA and DICE have changed the game a lot, lootboxing is gone, and did a lot of updates on it if i'm correct to make things right, be transparent and try give the gamers what they want. So i think EA is quite aware now to what works and what works not. 

To be honest, DiRT Rally 2.0 has a lot of potential to be a very good offline and online game. Maybe the keyword is here "potential", because on some front it was lacking quite a lot and in some areas even some small steps were taken back compared to D4 and DR1 and sometimes the visions arent strong enough.
- Career mode should have been offline, but it is helpful for the developers to get data, although needing to be online constantly for it is a bit strange.
- The online career part was mostly for the My Team and the community challenges. But I think it would be better to make a online career mode seperately for that.
- 8 players for online custom sessions are just to low. Should really go up. But seeing D5, I think this will happen.
- More "open" lobby's where people can choose an RX class, RX track, etc. Just like in MotoGP 20 where people can choose the class (MotoGP/Moto2/Moto3) and the track after that.
- Add Time Trail Challenges: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/63419-tt20-time-trail-challenges/
- I was talking about a step back earlier. Well in D4 and DR2 it was possible to choose for custome events for "Finals only" in Rallycross sessions. Meaning having semi-final and final in an online event. This option is missing from DR2. In DR2 there is only a "single race" or "full event" option. 

I did a lot of suggestions in my topic, not meaning DR2 is a bad game, but just to make the game better 🙂
https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/35255-jorritvd’s-suggestions-for-dirt-rally-20/

But I am more than hopefull in DiRT Rally 3 (much more than after D4), or whatever the name will be, especially with the likes of PJ, Jon and all the other talented people working on it, but also with having seperated teams now working on DiRT Arcady/Funny and Dirt Rally 🙂.

I wish you all a good holidays and a fruitful 2021 (with DR3 also being announced and/or released ofcourse 😛)

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Btw, EA did "made" (well one of their studios) one of my most favorite single player offline games quite recently: Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. It is so far the only game on my PlayStation where I got platinum for 😄

It was added to Game Pass last month; that was a fun 25 hour experience 🙂 

On 12/2/2020 at 1:02 PM, RGgiac said:

Totally agree, not only the tarmac, but also the gravel stages. I find the Scottish stages fantastic in design, by far the best in the game, but the roads are 20 km of the same boring texture. All the screenshots below were taken from the same stage that is in DR2, and you can see the surface constantly changing.

image.thumb.png.343514e5b3d5776c7ee85051c65b6ace.png

That kind of detail and variation is what would make the stages more interesting in a future game.

Also, I think the New Zealand is a missed opportunity, they could have made the stages with two gravel colors: gray AND the color they are now (like in real life, like in WRC9...), again, more variation = more interesting stages.

Speaking of "concerns". I'm really concerned this type of stage design wont be in DR3. At the very least this has to be one of the highest priorities while DR3 is still in development. With the whole studio now working as one I hope they can pull this kind of detail off.

• Like 2

Agree with @JorritVD , keep career mode where it belongs: Offline

I really can't see why on-line events should allow for any advantages among individual players based on what they may have done in career mode. Just allow all vehicles to all players on an absolutely even keel, and let them compete in events based on their on-line track record. Not their offline fictional pursuits.

Then restrict the career mode more heavily, so cars are hard-won and there's a longer, more interesting and immersive rally driver pathway.

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Agree with @JorritVD , keep career mode where it belongs: Offline

I really can't see why on-line events should allow for any advantages among individual players based on what they may have done in career mode. Just allow all vehicles to all players on an absolutely even keel, and let them compete in events based on their on-line track record. Not their offline fictional pursuits.

Then restrict the career mode more heavily, so cars are hard-won and there's a longer, more interesting and immersive rally driver pathway.

I couldn't care less if career mode is online or offline. I want to do clubs and don't want to be restricted there with hard-to-get cars or silly upgrades won in career mode.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Janneman60 said:

I want to do clubs and don't want to be restricted there with hard-to-get cars or silly upgrades won in career mode.

This is exactly what I'm saying

That's awesome for you regarding career mode, you clearly don't play it

But for those of us who do, you should be able to see that it makes sense for it to be off-line

23 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Btw, EA did "made" (well one of their studios) one of my most favorite single player offline games quite recently: Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order.

Hot Dog, great recommendation!!

I bought it on the xbox after checking its reviews - played it this evening. Very enjoyable so far! Hopefully it gets less on-rails and the environments get a little larger, but anyhow.

Thank you!

Also:

"The game outperformed EA's expectations, with CFO Blake Jorgensen voicing his pleasure at the game's success in the company's latest financial call.

"Sales of Star Wars — Jedi: Fallen Order significantly beat our expectations," he said. "We had forecast 6 million to 8 million units for the fiscal year, but to hit the high end of that in the third quarter, and now we anticipate selling around 10 million units in the fiscal year, a very strong result for a single-player action game."

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-2-release-date-sequel-2022-already-in-development

Single-player, off-line, no micro-transactions. You digging this, Codies?

Edited by Jake Cushing
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

This is exactly what I'm saying

That's awesome for you regarding career mode, you clearly don't play it

But for those of us who do, you should be able to see that it makes sense for it to be off-line

It is the main difference (and for me improvement) between dirt1 and dirt2. Agreed I don't do career mode because it is either to easy or to hard, if they want to do it right give us a slider. As long as they keep car upgrades and so on away from career mode I could agree with an offline mode.

Il faudrait, un mode online avec des évènements à heure et date unique, comme dans la réalité.

Avec des horaires de départs unique pour chaque concurrents toutes les 30s.

La possible d'acheter une auto de base et d'avoir plusieurs niveau de développement.

Exemple :

BMW M3 Groupe A Access 280cv, 1090g Boite 5

BMW M3 Groupe A full  290cv, 1050Kg Boite 6

BMW M3 Groupe A Usine 298cv, 1030Kg Boite 6  => auto très rare en série limité en vente en DLC ou crédit du jeux ( exemple : warthunder)

Les auto si elle sont mal entretenue (vidange, changement de pièces d'usure non faite) pourrais perdre en performance exemple BMW M3 access 274cv.

Les auto pourrais abandonné sur casse mécanique si l'entretient n'est pas realisé.

Possibilité de vendre son auto sur le store avec les crédit du jeux, on pourrais y voir sa rareté (Access, Full, Usine ) son palmarès Victoire de rallye, de stages et le nombre de sortie de route, etc... 

Les catégories plus équilibré avec une classification par année

Exemple Groupe B 1984-1985 :

Porsche 911 scrc

R 5 Turbo "cevennes"

R 5 Turbo "Tour de Corse"

Maxi 5 Turbo

Opel Manta 400

Lancia 037

Mazda RX7

Bmw M1

205 T16 serie 200

205 T 16 Evo 1

Audi quattro

Groupe A 1987-1988 :

Ford Sierra Cosworth

Bmw M3

Mercedes 190e 2.3 16s

Alfa 75 Turbo

Alfa 75 3L V6

Lancia 4wd

Mazda 323 4wd

Aussi quattro 200

Subaru leon

vw Golf GTI 16s

Renault 11 Turbo

Mitsubishi Starion turbo

Toyota supra 

Nissan 200sx 

205 GT1 1.9L

Groupe A 1989-1992

Lancia Delta Integrale 

Toyota celica GT4

Nissan Sunny GTi R

Mazda 323 GT-R

Mitsubishi Lancer evo 2 ou 3

Ford sierra Cosworth 4 X 4

VW Golf Rallye G60

Opel Calibra Turbo 4 X 4

Peugeot 405 T16

Audi Quattro S2

etc...

Interesting take. I could really enjoy an offline career mode with the equivalent of 'timed quests'.

You either take the rally on-offer in the next couple of days, or forfeit for what might come up next (randomised rally tree).

Daggerfall the great, ultimate off-line RPG that was bigger than every on-line RPG and had procedurally generated quests, had this great trait.

On 12/2/2020 at 3:02 PM, RGgiac said:

Totally agree, not only the tarmac, but also the gravel stages. I find the Scottish stages fantastic in design, by far the best in the game, but the roads are 20 km of the same boring texture. All the screenshots below were taken from the same stage that is in DR2, and you can see the surface constantly changing.

image.thumb.png.343514e5b3d5776c7ee85051c65b6ace.png

That kind of detail and variation is what would make the stages more interesting in a future game.

Also, I think the New Zealand is a missed opportunity, they could have made the stages with two gravel colors: gray AND the color they are now (like in real life, like in WRC9...), again, more variation = more interesting stages.

Would LOVE to see some more mixed surface stages. One of my favorite things about Monte, as much as I dreads that place, is how great it feels fighting up/down the mountain and the dramatic change between tarmac, tarmac-ice, and snow-ice as you climb. Start giving me more of that in other locations, like the little bits of pavement in Australia. But why stop at just loose/hard surfaces? I love the idea of expanding it to have dramatically different loose gravel types as you cut across open fields before diving back into twisty wooded roads.

• Agree 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

Would LOVE to see some more mixed surface stages. One of my favorite things about Monte, as much as I dreads that place, is how great it feels fighting up/down the mountain and the dramatic change between tarmac, tarmac-ice, and snow-ice as you climb. Start giving me more of that in other locations, like the little bits of pavement in Australia. But why stop at just loose/hard surfaces? I love the idea of expanding it to have dramatically different loose gravel types as you cut across open fields before diving back into twisty wooded roads.

Doesn't it make the stage way more interesting and less repetitive? Bland stages is one of the most complained things in Dirt Rally, but what I think people dont realize they are actually referring to are bland road surfaces AND surroundings.

-The tress look the same and its very noticeable from helicopter view. 

-The roads dont have any random dark patches especially on tarmac.

-the forests and woods dont truly feel "thick" and "full" I mean you can see all the way back as far as the draw distance/fog will let you.

Edited by Orangetuner
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Orangetuner said:

-the forests and woods dont truly feel "thick" and "full" I mean you can see all the way back as far as the draw distance/fog will let you.

This is something I find weird in DR2: Forests don't look like forests. I mean it's brighter inside the forests than on the road (which I think should be the opposite). I don't know if it's just lack of enough vegetation or the 2D trees further away from the road edge are not casting shadows properly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RGgiac said:

This is something I find weird in DR2: Forests don't look like forests. I mean it's brighter inside the forests than on the road (which I think should be the opposite). I don't know if it's just lack of enough vegetation or the 2D trees further away from the road edge are not casting shadows properly.

I suspect its a quick patch work fix for lack of optimization for all the trees they originally put in

It could also be exposure correction; I know that's a thing in cockpit views at least.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks to all the CM team, for giving us the best Rally simulator game of all time. It is a gift in difficult times. They make the world a better place for many. I’ve been helped by their game to overcome my problems and be excited about something. My 71-year-old father is also a lover of your games. Since Toca’s time, each vehicle had a very realistic weight for each category.

Happy New Year 2021 to all!!!

• Like 7