DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

The 'challenges' approach isn't one for me, but:

• The Bugalski Challenge: "win in Spain in an F2 car vs the 4WDs"
  • The Delacour Challenge: "finish top 5 overall in Belgium in an RGT"
  • The Lukyanuk Challenge: "win in Estonia in a NR4 vs the R5s"
  • The Alen Challenge: "win a gravel round in an 037 vs the 4WD Group Bs"

...would make a lot of sense in the style of those McRae ones.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, merseyxshore said:

A decent fix would be to have multi-class events, but allow event creators to specify exactly which cars go into which class. The faster cars in H2 could mix it up with the slower cars from H3. The 6R4 could be matched up with any number of 4WD cars. The 90s Group A cars might be good up against the RGT cars. Could even let the event creator name the classes themselves. I’m copyrighting ‘RWD Deathtrap Class’

This is the idea I like the most so far. I like cars to behave as they did back in their days, and if they weren't particularly competitive, so be it. 

But there are more than enough cars in DR2 for some to match the performance of the slower cars in a class, and I think multiclass would bring a nice layer of complexity to the game while also being closer, in terms of times, than some "unbalanced" classes. 

• Agree 1

Interesting comparison video of a Spanish stage.

Just great to see how close the stage is compared to the real stage. Lightning is a bit different, but that could have do with time of day. Maybe in the game a bit to yellow though.

Also quite a difference in handling. The real car is just “planted” and clean. While ingame it’s much more floaty or that asphalt is a loose surface in game with just a higher grip. Probably if there is more grip/resistance of the underground and tyres and stiffer suspension/tyres, I think it could make a major difference. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I am Spanish ( I suppose you have already found out, because of how badly I speak English Xd) and Spain is very well done. CM always does a job of 10, when it comes to setting each place.

Edited by Keko55
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Keko55 said:

I am Spanish ( I suppose you have already found out, because of how badly I speak English Xd) and Spain is very well done. CM always does a job of 10, when it comes to setting each place.

Hola Tio, que dices , por favor  me salvas , estoy aqui , pegado en la Tierra de ****** con el Brexit con cielos de gris y la lluvia , siempre la lluvia , por favor da me el sol brillando. Un Saludo ,  Suerte.   Soy Ingles pero prefiero ser en Espana.

Edited by Exasperated
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

i think in the next few days you may see the new teaser for the next game. often around easter at big studios they leak launch new trailer for next game. on dirt twitter they said something new is coming soon.

We have 𝙖 𝙡𝙤𝙩 to show you next week for DIRT! Announcements. New stuff. Cool things. You know the drill. See you then, yeah?

hmm...monday at 2pm maybe ? :classic_biggrin:

Edited by dgeesi0
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JorritVD said:

Funny post from a younger Craig Breen using CMR

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMm4kgxnwdK/

😄 Guy was making his own notes way back then already!   Meanwhile, I'm still making notes for DR2.0  (trollface)

Edit: yeah seen the Spain comparison vid(s) a long time ago, and yes, I think everyone especially CM now knows the handling needs correction.  So we're beating a bit of a dead horse on that one.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

I'm having an issue with my screenshots on Xbox, maybe @PJTierney or someone else can help me out. Screenshots taken on Xbox used to upload automatically to Gamer DVR or Xboxreplay, but for some reason it's not the case anymore. I thought maybe some setting changed, Xbox gets tons of updates all the time, maybe privacy stuff, but couldn't find anything. Any idea?

Edited by richie

19 hours ago, richie said:

I'm having an issue with my screenshots on Xbox, maybe @PJTierney or someone else can help me out. Screenshots taken on Xbox used to upload automatically to Gamer DVR or Xboxreplay, but for some reason it's not the case anymore. I thought maybe some setting changed, Xbox gets tons of updates all the time, maybe privacy stuff, but couldn't find anything. Any idea?

Mine get uploaded all the time, I flex in Discord whenever I do a good Daily (Top 100).

Check your Xbox Live storage, it might be full.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2021 at 12:57 PM, dgeesi0 said:

i think in the next few days you may see the new teaser for the next game. often around easter at big studios they leak launch new trailer for next game. on dirt twitter they said something new is coming soon.

We have 𝙖 𝙡𝙤𝙩 to show you next week for DIRT! Announcements. New stuff. Cool things. You know the drill. See you then, yeah?

hmm...monday at 2pm maybe ? :classic_biggrin:

Only D5 news

OOOOOORRRRRR DiRT Rally 3 is not called "Dirt Rally 3"

• Like 1

Do you ever get 'gamed out'!?

You buy game after game, some you want, some you just think you do, and some you just shouldn't have. You get caught up in hype and seeing other people play and you forget that, at the end of the day, it's YOU that will eventually be playing the game. I've bought several titles, studied playthroughs religiously, but, then I've never played the game myself. I got rid of loads of games just recently that I realised I'd never play. Then I thought 'Well what could I play!?'. Thankfully for you guys, the answer was Dirt Rally 2.0.

I moved the game back to my main SSD, tweaked all the graphics and I've been having an absolute ball! Hooning a Mini Cooper through Scotland has been fantastic. I just wish that I could start from scratch on every country and every stage, but, thanks to Race.Net we don't get to do that. We're still haunted by PB's we set more than a year ago and could never now equal or better.

Whatever, it's made a difference to be blowing doors off instead of heads

Thanks Codies!

• Like 3

its good to have a break and try new things. if you only play one style of game it can get boring even if its a brand new game. do fancy a hoon around on dirt rally 2.0 myself but after reinstalling it recently only to be met with your steam sync profile isnt correct it wiped all my settings and saves. so deleted it again.

hopefully we get news this week maybe even today on the next new dirt rally title. fingers crossed. :classic_biggrin:

Yup, I often have a non-racing game on the go as everything I tend to play otherwise is either work or "content".

Right now I'm nearing 100% completion on Final Fantasy XII for the third time 🙂 

Posted (edited)

I never got into the Final Fantasy series, but I have a strong feeling that I'm missing out on cool games. 

It doesn't look like we're getting any news or hints about the new DiRT Rally game today. 

Edited by richie

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, richie said:

I never got into the Final Fantasy series, but I have a strong feeling that I'm missing out on cool games. 

It doesn't look like we're getting any news or hints about the new DiRT Rally game today. 

I don't want to say it's an acquired taste, but personally I kind of think the ship has sailed and you're either already on the FF hype train or you're just into other games. They are fantastic games, but I grew up playing them so I also don't know if it is half nostalgia keeping me so entertained by them and their very very Japanese game style and battle system. You either love it or hate it in my experience.

But damn... that FF hair looks so good 😍

Edited by Mike Dee
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike Dee said:

I don't want to say it's an acquired taste, but personally I kind of think the ship has sailed and you're either already on the FF hype train or you're just into other games. They are fantastic games, but I grew up playing them so I also don't know if it is half nostalgia keeping me so entertained by them and their very very Japanese game style and battle system. You either love it or hate it in my experience.

But damn... that FF hair looks so good 😍

I'll definitely get one at some point, but not sure which one. I'll probably start with one of the first games that came out on Xbox One. I think it's safe to say that this series has reached cult status so I'm really curious. I think I'm going to like it. It was the same with the Metal Gear Solid series, never played the games. Then Metal Gear Solid V: PP was free on Xbox and the story sucked me in like a vortex, it was intense. That game hit me like a freight train emotionally, never felt anything like that before with a video game. 

PJ once posted a FF scene on twitter where the main characters were sitting around a camp fire, probably after an important battle. The energy in that scene made it clear to me that I'll like that kind of game. 

Edited by richie
  • Like 2

I'd see something new, or sometimes old, think it looked good, only to rage uninstall it when there was something that kept frustrating me. I had Metal Gear V, then played other military games and realised that I sucked at stealth, so in the bin it went. Luckily, the vast majority of the titles I got rid of were ones I'd got in Steam sales, so I didn't feel like I'd lost too much money.

I enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn, but got horrendous blisters on my fingers from firing the arrows. I also worked my way through several COD titles, but, the campaigns were over way too soon and then the focus was on multiplayer which has never interested me. The most recent title I enjoyed was Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, but, it was the open world more than the missions that kept me coming back. Year 2 is imminent, but, I don't think it'll offer me much.

I was surprised how quickly I picked up DR again and was having fun even when crashing horrifically. Every Codies rally title I've played has had that, you don't mind crashing!

6 hours ago, richie said:

That game hit me like a freight train emotionally, never felt anything like that before with a video game.

Really? From the weakest of the series?

5 hours ago, Rogerbee said:

I had Metal Gear V, then played other military games and realised that I sucked at stealth, so in the bin it went.

It's a good thing MGS also excels at combat gameplay, but whatever.

Posted (edited)

MGS, right from its earliest incarnations, never appealed to me for some reason, I got it when it was on sale and I saw someone a lot better than me play it. That's the thing with playthroughs, it's always someone better than you are playing it. When you try you find you're hopeless! For some reason, I didn't totally suck at Colin McRae rally games, so when DR 2.0 came along it took me right back to those glory days, particularly when you finally got Colin's Scooby.

Edited by Rogerbee

9 hours ago, JZStudios said:

It's a good thing MGS also excels at combat gameplay, but whatever.

The controls and mechanics of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain are so solid they're the high benchmark of any open-world game I consider playing now.

Fun fact: I worked at Konami during the years of that game's release, even have a full-size replica arm on my desk as I type this.

MGSV goodies at TGS 2014: prosthetic arm replica, sneaking suit Snake  figure and more | Metal gear solid, Metal gear, Metal

I also wrote my University Thesis on the metanarrative of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty 🙂 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, PJTierney said:

The controls and mechanics of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain are so solid they're the high benchmark of any open-world game I consider playing now.

Fun fact: I worked at Konami during the years of that game's release, even have a full-size replica arm on my desk as I type this.

MGSV goodies at TGS 2014: prosthetic arm replica, sneaking suit Snake  figure and more | Metal gear solid, Metal gear, Metal

I also wrote my University Thesis on the metanarrative of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty 🙂 

All of the above is most cool @PJTierney. The MGS series is one of, if not my most, beloved game series. 

It clearly has rough edges (and a messy end), but I think MGS V is an incredible game. Each title in the series has a different appeal though, even MGS2 which I was disappointed with at the time but have warmed to over the years. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Really? From the weakest of the series?

As it was the first MGS I played I had no comparison. I think I just didn't expect the game to have such an effect on me. During the opening scene at the hospital I was thinking 'ok, this is strange, I give this game half an hour max to get interesting'. I had no idea what the man on fire and the floating muppet would be, I kept playing and then Quiet appeared. I didn't kill her at the ruins and it turned out she was a fascinating character. During the whole game I was wondering what she was humming all the time. The story was like a crescendo that culminated in that song. I was confused, and dead :classic_laugh: Later I found out Quiet was inspired by a real person, Stefanie Joosten. She's incredible. Probably the sweetest thing you'll find in a video game. That wasn't the last MGS I played for sure. 

Anyway, we dragged this a bit off-topic. Are we getting any news on the new DiRT Rally soon™?

Edited by richie