DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I have also expressed my wish on the forum in the past that having a real life class structure would be very beneficial to game's authenticity.

Having a career made up of Club/Kitcars -> Pro R2/R3 -> RRC/R5 -> WRC would be ideal in my opinion.

Codemasters had a quite cool Twitter adventure today. While it didn't seem as if they listened to what followers demanded there were some interesting pics posted, some of them with DiRT references:

https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/487591370690138112

https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/487592449582592000

https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/487595634640158720
(that's Gehan P, I seem to remember he worked on DiRT 3, maybe now that he's done with GRID Autosport he's on the DiRT team...?

I have also expressed my wish on the forum in the past that having a real life class structure would be very beneficial to game's authenticity.

Having a career made up of Club/Kitcars -> Pro R2/R3 -> RRC/R5 -> WRC would be ideal in my opinion.

Codemasters had a quite cool Twitter adventure today. While it didn't seem as if they listened to what followers demanded there were some interesting pics posted, some of them with DiRT references:

https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/487591370690138112

https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/487592449582592000

https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/487595634640158720
(that's Gehan P, I seem to remember he worked on DiRT 3, maybe now that he's done with GRID Autosport he's on the DiRT team...?
Not so secret now they leave an oculus rift dev kit in the photo.

But did anyone spot the clue they didn't intend to leave ?

Benniz said:
Paul Coleman was asking if anybody could help him localize a Renault Maxi Megané on Twitter yesterday. Promising! I love that car!

For the people that dont know how the Renault Maxi Megane looks like :

I would love to see a class with all kinds of kitcars, S2000 cars or S1600 cars

Personal favorites:

Renault Clio S1600

And the Peugeot 206 S1600

I really like the 206 S1600! I hope the S1600 class make a return on the next DiRT game!

dirt3joe said:
Not so secret now they leave an oculus rift dev kit in the photo.

But did anyone spot the clue they didn't intend to leave ?
I have not spotted anything... :( Have you? :)

@KickUp reacted to my post with a 'Disagree' - I wonder if it's to say that Gehan is not working on next DiRT or whether the career path I'd like in the game is nae good..

Photos taken during the Adventure tour were carefully taken.

@dirtgame also tweeted that there were two work placement students at Codies for a week. I wonder if they got to know what's brewing

This seems very interesting.  

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/487738606082334721/photo/1

Don't know weather this is just some inside joke, or actually game related.  

gfRally said:
This seems very interesting.  

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/487738606082334721/photo/1

Don't know weather this is just some inside joke, or actually game related.  
Worth checking the conversation on twitter for the context of that.... Not for the faint hearted.

Codemasters had a quite cool Twitter adventure today. While it didn't seem as if they listened to what followers demanded there were some interesting pics posted, 
Hey man! I went everywhere the majority asked for :( (I wanted to go tour the spooky old end)

Codemasters had a quite cool Twitter adventure today. While it didn't seem as if they listened to what followers demanded there were some interesting pics posted, 
Hey man! I went everywhere the majority asked for :( (I wanted to go tour the spooky old end)
I thought the majority wanted you to go and see some F1 2014 stuff! :p

I thought the majority wanted you to go and see some F1 2014 stuff! :p
One of the options lead right to it, but nobody picked it. You were all so close :P

Carefully taken photos are very annoying! Can you be LESS careful in future @justbiglee?
@RallyDriven I already noticed that when I visit Codies, @justbiglee is very aware of that!
But its good! we dont want to spill any beans! :D But it makes it harder to keep my mouth shut xD

@justbiglee TheirryNeuville If this Codies job doesn't work out, he could always get a job at MI6...  Hmmm.. Theirry would you consider being a double again $$$$$ ? B-)

gfRally said:
@justbiglee TheirryNeuville If this Codies job doesn't work out, he could always get a job at MI6...  Hmmm.. Theirry would you consider being a double again $$$$$ ? B-)
Haha yhea @justbiglee‌ could work as secret agent, or as treasure hunter! He found some amazing stuff at the codemasters headquarter! (A stilo helm signed by the legend colin McRae,... No one knew it was there lol )

He can be a little bit harsh here but he is a good guy! With a big heart for codemasters and also the DiRTy part of the racing sport ;)

Sorry @gfRally‌ won't take anything,
1) i do would like to come back at Southam, and i dont want to get kicked by @KickUp‌ or get angry faces from the dev team
2) i signed an agreement
3) i dont want to spill any beans, about the beautiful project where they are working on! Its not worth any amount of money ;) The experience i got over there in Southam was priceless and really amazing! All the guys from the DiRT team are really nice people, tallented, petrolheads! They know what they are doing! Cant wait untill some information will be released to the audience :-)

Good try by @gfRally to bribe the fellas! :)

Maybe our best bet is to locate the work experience students and bribe them with candy or lager? 

I've just noticed that Gossip Thread overtook the Wishlist thread in number of views and comments.
I wonder whether this means we're closer to release of next DiRT or still closer to start of development... :D

I've just noticed that Gossip Thread overtook the Wishlist thread in number of views and comments.
I wonder whether this means we're closer to release of next DiRT or still closer to start of development... :D
or that you guys post in here more..?

or that you guys post in here more..?
You've been brutal lately...

Maybe our best bet is to locate the work experience students and bribe them with candy or lager? 

Your best bet would be offering a set of new slicks for the kart ;)

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/489053772782796801

So... @dirtgame uploading a fresh vid of CMR ... 
I guess this is a good way of initiating feedback and ideas from peeps on Twitter.

Dont know if these rumours are true,... but it would not be that good news:

The comapny Kylotonn Games is searching for developers as job for a new game "WRC 5"
The language is French but with google translate u can decode a lot.

Experienced developer for WRC Engine 5

Futher more an other French website also annouced that WRC 5 will be made by an other company:
Driver change for WRC5

" WRC 5 change driver"

Black Bean and Milestone had brought to the front of the stage WRC license. After 4 opus developed by the Italian studio is a shift that will be made in the franchise, now owned by BigBen Interactive. Thus, the Parisian studio Kylotonn Games which is in charge of WRC 5. These are several job vacancies posted by the studio which confirms the information. Social networks can be read here and there that Milestone is no longer in charge of development.

A new studio whose only game is racing ... Truck Racer, released in 2013 on behalf of BigBen Interactive. Note that Kylotonn Games has developed games such as bowls or Obut Hunter's Trophy again on behalf of BigBen Interactive. They are also responsible for The Cursed Crusade released in PC/PS3/Xbox on 360.

WRC 5 does not have a release date, but it is likely to be launched sometime in 2015. 5 WRC will only be available on PC, PS4 and Xbox One "

Personally I think this is such a shame,...
Really would like to see the WRC license back in Southam at Codemasters!
There is where the license should belong....

Great spot @ThierryNeuville !

With BigBen Interactive taking over the WRC licence last year: Reuters article 
it's unlikely that the full WRC licence from the promoter will be available to someone else for 2014 or 2015...

Hopefully Codemasters will have good relationships with current WRC manufacturers and will get them onboard to include their vehicles in the next DiRT game.

I'm also hoping that the World RX promoter will not go down a route of a small - medium developer for their licence. I've never come across or played a game by Kylotonn... It's also quite strange that BigBen changed the WRC developer after Milestone released a decent game (MotoGP 14). 

Eurosport and IMG have been doing a much better job in recent months compared to the WRC promoter so fingers crossed they'll give Codemasters a good deal and on either ERC or WorldRX.

Dont know if these rumours are true,... but it would not be that good news:

The comapny Kylotonn Games is searching for developers as job for a new game "WRC 5"
The language is French but with google translate u can decode a lot.

Experienced developer for WRC Engine 5

Futher more an other French website also annouced that WRC 5 will be made by an other company:
Driver change for WRC5

" WRC 5 change driver"

Black Bean and Milestone had brought to the front of the stage WRC license. After 4 opus developed by the Italian studio is a shift that will be made in the franchise, now owned by BigBen Interactive. Thus, the Parisian studio Kylotonn Games which is in charge of WRC 5. These are several job vacancies posted by the studio which confirms the information. Social networks can be read here and there that Milestone is no longer in charge of development.

A new studio whose only game is racing ... Truck Racer, released in 2013 on behalf of BigBen Interactive. Note that Kylotonn Games has developed games such as bowls or Obut Hunter's Trophy again on behalf of BigBen Interactive. They are also responsible for The Cursed Crusade released in PC/PS3/Xbox on 360.

WRC 5 does not have a release date, but it is likely to be launched sometime in 2015. 5 WRC will only be available on PC, PS4 and Xbox One "

Personally I think this is such a shame,...
Really would like to see the WRC license back in Southam at Codemasters!
There is where the license should belong....

It's a shame for me. WRC series had been making steady progress. Not spectacular IMO, but it was an OK game. Not a game I would pay full price for but worth £20 or so a few months after release.

4 did not have the range of cars, but did have quite pretty graphics, not far behind Dirt 3. The snow courses were quite good and I was looking forward to seeing some more progress in 5 with weather effects etc. As well the common engine (with moto gp) and the port to PS4 meant that there was some evidence of moving forwards. I don't believe it is possible these days to develop an engine solely for one game.

I'm not convinced with this new studio that wrc 5 will be better than wrc 4, although if it had stayed with the same studio I would have been pretty certain it would have been (how much is hard to say). I also think that it is far more likely to release earlier if it had remained with tjhe same studio, whereas moving to a new one is more likely to cause it issues.

Oh well. I still think CM can make great rally games with or without WRC licences. Look at Dirt 2 and 3. Nothing lacking there.

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/489489832557965312 I don't know wether this has anything to do with the above WRC stuff, but maybe CM was bidding on or pitching for the franchise and didn't work out. I don't know, the tweet doesn't sound positive.

gfRally said:
https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/489489832557965312 I don't know wether this has anything to do with the above WRC stuff, but maybe CM was bidding on or pitching for the franchise and didn't work out. I don't know, the tweet doesn't sound positive.
As much as I enjoy reading your guys wild theories I can't help but feel like I should chip in on this one and maybe explain it a little.

That tweet is a good thing, the presentation was one an outside company came in and did just made me think differently about everything I'd been working on for the last month or so (probably longer) and the things I was thinking of doing in the future. Just made me question if they were fun and interesting enough and also a little about how I kind of manage my time/whats important at work.

So don't worry was nothing bad, just my own little epiphany.

gfRally said:
As much as I enjoy reading your guys wild theories I can't help but feel like I should chip in on this one and maybe explain it a little.

That tweet is a good thing, the presentation was one an outside company came in and did just made me think differently about everything I'd been working on for the last month or so (probably longer) and the things I was thinking of doing in the future. Just made me question if they were fun and interesting enough and also a little about how I kind of manage my time/whats important at work.

I guess an epiphany of this type will make the project you've been working on better in the long run. I'm sure you'll 're-align' (management speak?) and will make your presentation with 'sporting e*****?' even better :)

It's quite likely that what you've working on is community related, so perhaps you have been observing reactions on here, Twitter and other channels to make your project better. 

It may be an unrelated subject, but I have been following Grid Autosport DLC and boost pack news. An article on Eurogamer draw my attention to it and it seems @Loore is rather busy these days... 

I need to think about it all and make my mind up as the way in which game developers seek revenue is changing and perhaps gamers need to accept it if they want their favourite developers to keep going and working like any business should: be profitable. Then again online gaming should be about skill and commitment (whether you have time or not) so I'm not yet sold on boost packs aiding online progress...

It seems to me that Codemasters are in an interesting position as they have three main franchises:
1. GRID, which has been pretty daring in how DLC is released (GRID 2 had DLC packs (quite £££ in my view). Autosport Season Pass follows what some other games have been doing lately so it's not surprising to see GRID try it out.
2. F1 games: these seem more like what we've known for years: you buy a game (normal or special edition) and DLC stream is not too extensive (mainly due to F1 licencing issues)

3. DiRT - what route will this franchise take with its next instalment? Racing games these days may take very varied paths:
- iRacing as a subscription based sim
- pCARS and Assetto Corsa - how will these two work when they're released?
- Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo: full priced game followed by paid or free extensions. I haven't followed them closely, but in case of GT I've not seen much in terms of paid for extensions or updates, most of them are free?

The above topic is definitely big enough to warrant a thread for itself. We haven't seen any hints on whether the DiRT series will be released in a way similar to DiRT 2 and 3 or whether it will mark a change? Or follow in GRID footsteps with many DLC packs, Season Pass and boost pack?

I may be an usual customer as it's likely as I'd follow any release format and buy most of DLC. A subscription format with new stages/locations/cars/modes/challenges/extensions would very much appeal to me and in case of off-road is there anything decent out there doing it that way?

With no DiRT game announcement yet we can only speculate (it's all we do...), but I'm sure the team are thinking hard how best to release the next game and make a decent profit (that's fair, that's why Codemasters exists)

gfRally said:

I may be an usual customer as it's likely as I'd follow any release format and buy most of DLC. A subscription format with new stages/locations/cars/modes/challenges/extensions would very much appeal to me and in case of off-road is there anything decent out there doing it that way?

+1 for this