DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

G37L057 said:
So someone who sees the Martini livery in a game most likely won't go "oh, I could use a drink"
Quite right. Having this happen to me at the end of a weekly makes me go "oh, I could use a drink":

griev0r said:
Do NOT buy WRC5, not even worth a pirate.  I watched a stream of a steam friend of mine for awhile last night, it's horrid. 
Agree about it not even being worth to pirate it, because that's what I did (I also did that with DiRT Rally (because, you know, demos aren't a thing anymore, sadly), but I bought it afterwards, after seeing how good it was).
But WRC is horrible. Starting from the barren settings menu, to the lack of support for Logitech wheels (don't know about the G27, but neither my DFGT or the Formula Force EX worked, you could only map buttons, but not the axis). The sounds are bad. The car noises maybe not so much, but the co-driver is like a robot. You could tell right away that each pacenote is recorded once and played back one every corresponding corner. Gets annoying quite fast. The performance is also quite bad. It doesn't run smooth at all, even on medium settings, and my computer isn't that bad (i5 and 7870). 
I didn't expect anything good, but maybe a litte better than this

It's such a shame. They made a fantastic recreation of Senna's F1 car in GT6, but it can't have the JPS livery. They made a fairly good "Team Lotus Special" substitute livery, but I want fucking JPS on that car.

It's such a shame. They made a fantastic recreation of Senna's F1 car in GT6, but it can't have the JPS livery. They made a fairly good "Team Lotus Special" substitute livery, but I want fucking JPS on that car.
Yea and it's such nonsense, it's not like I knew Martini was an alcoholic beverage when I was a kid, I just loved the livery. And in the time I've been using the livery mods in DiRT 3 I never thought, hm I need to get me some Martini. It's just the governments trying to fix (non existing) problems in the wrong way. And we're the victims. 

I guess alcohol ads on TV are fine because adults watch TV and kids play games. BTW, I smoke a JPS everytime I choose that car in GT6 in protest. Maybe that makes them listen.

dwkGravey said:
G37L057 said:
So someone who sees the Martini livery in a game most likely won't go "oh, I could use a drink"
Quite right. Having this happen to me at the end of a weekly makes me go "oh, I could use a drink":

I thinka that same thing happent to me. I think it was the same track. I crashed in to the trees on the left 1 or 2 meters away from finish. But stil it wasn't bad because i enjoy the run.

Yea and it's such nonsense, it's not like I knew Martini was an alcoholic beverage when I was a kid, I just loved the livery. And in the time I've been using the livery mods in DiRT 3 I never thought, hm I need to get me some Martini. It's just the governments trying to fix (non existing) problems in the wrong way. And we're the victims. 
Think we're getting just a bit carried away to start calling ourselves 'victims' because we can't have an (official), 100% historically accurate livery on a virtual car.
Especially in comparison not only to people who are addicted to either alcohol or tobacco, but also the taxpayers in countries with 'free' healthcare or have to foot the bill to treat the results.

There are two separate things at work here.
Firstly, that an agreement hasn't been reached with Martini regarding using a part of their brand identity.
Secondly, laws preventing the actual complete Martini logo.

Let's not pretend video games are being singled out here. Alcohol and tobacco companies are not allowed to advertise on kids TV channels or comic books and in many places where TV adverts are still allowed, it's only after a certain time. 9pm in the UK (alcohol only. Tobacco isn't at all).
With the number of smokers at an all time low, who's to say it's not helping?

BrySkye said:

"Think we're getting just a bit carried away to start calling ourselves 'victims' because we can't have an (official), 100% historically accurate livery on a virtual car."

What could possibly be worse??

BrySkye said:

"Think we're getting just a bit carried away to start calling ourselves 'victims' because we can't have an (official), 100% historically accurate livery on a virtual car."

What could possibly be worse??

Death, diseases.

BrySkye said:
I can assure you, that low has nothing to do with lack of ads. It's due to drastically rising prices. People stop smoking because it gets too expensive.

dwkGravey said:
G37L057 said:

Now you know how Carlos Sainz felt in 98 ;-)

G37L057 said:
BrySkye said:
I can assure you, that low has nothing to do with lack of ads. It's due to drastically rising prices. People stop smoking because it gets too expensive.
Please don't just pull something like that out of thin air. 
Absolutely it's a factor, a huge one amongst many, but you can't state as if it's a fact that advertising restrictions have not had any impact at all, just because you think they don't. 
Same for how 30% of all ads and about 50% of the packaging must also have government health warnings, or how a number of countries have now banned smoking in public places.
It's a combination of many factors.

Moving on now, dead horse is dead. It's such an old subject that even affected the first Colin McRae Rally on the Playstation (Lancia Delta).
Hopefully an agreement can be reached to feature a censored version of the Martini Racing focus, ala every previous Martini Racing livery in a Codemasters game.

As much as this is all interesting about Alcohol/Smoking and whys and whynots, we all have an opinion about this.  I think we can all agree that licensing sucks, too many lawyers involved both politically and those that make the agreements as to what we can have in 'our' game.  We kind of need to move on from this, its not completely irrelevant, but not productive and going to lead down a dark path.

Lets get back to Gossip, what cars are we going to get next, if we dont consider licensing.   I think Mitsubishi would be nice, and a modern Subaru, 2008+ year. 

BrySkye said:
G37L057 said:
BrySkye said:
Please don't just pull something like that out of thin air. 
Absolutely it's a factor, a huge one amongst many, but you can't state as if it's a fact that advertising restrictions have not had any impact at all, just because you think they don't.
Not sure if every single person I know (and their friends) in the last 2 years either stopped smoking or drastically reduced it because of the prices alone is a thin air, but ok. Let's go with #MovingOn

gfRally said:
Lets get back to Gossip, what cars are we going to get next, if we dont consider licensing.   I think Mitsubishi would be nice, and a modern Subaru, 2008+ year. 
Hmmm, Quattro S1 E2 can't be considered as modern, can it?

So, the super secret cars Paul mentioned. Some are on the periodic table, some are not he said on twitter. 
I'm glad they are adding stuff outside of the time line :)

I'm going to say then, that the super secret cars are the ones off the periodic, and i totally agree, that's awesome that we're getting more :)

Then, even though I'm not that big a fan of the idea, this means the super-secret cars are Rally Raid machines.

What I would like to see:
1.Focus RS WRC 06 to 10 spec(any one of those not all of them...)
2.Some R2s (208 and Adam preferably)
3.DS3 WRC and updates to Mini and Fiesta.
4.Lancer 6.5
5.Suzuki SX4 WRC(why not?)

Can't/couldn't say what is likely, but i can say almost without question, that we're not going to get duplicate (sub versions) of cars within the same class.  So no to number 1 on that list.

https://twitter.com/lasercannonmike/status/652458892845314049

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/652463807776825346

That's clearly the front bumper of this:

Well, they say in the timeline that the Modern Masters are a new class of car. This Focus is a 2010s car so not really a new class. Could it be 2 liter WRC? No, that can't be it. We already have 2 liter WRCs in-game. The new class has to be R5.