DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

i don't think this is the right place to post this, but i'll post it anyway.

I had a strange dream last night. i dreamed that i was watching some epic new trailers for the next DiRT game and that it was simply called "DiRT" with no other letters/words or numbers, and that it had a red square with a white version of the old Codies' "m" found on the CMR games.

I also dreamed that @ThierryNeuville and other WRC drivers commented on the game, which had pretty much every type of rally, some very long stages, and the trailer also showed off the i20 and some classics. the drivers were saying that, unlike most games, this one had them pretty tense and they took it more seriously than other racers. According to them, it was hands down the best car game they had played in a long time.

After all that, I was torn between waiting for a sale post-release (which i do for all the games i ever buy) and purchasing the game at full price there and then. in the end, i pre-ordered it on Steam for £35.

@GentleNameMVB 

For being so far apart (location) we seem to think alike.  Yes, CM exists to make a profit (even Google and they give most of their stuff away, with a catch).  If a company doesn't profit from their products they either drop them and find another that is MORE profitable or end up going out of business.  The business side of CM has been doing well for many many years, probably one of the older independent studios still around. 

Fortunately for us, DiRT has been a pretty good success and thus they are making another one.  We want one that is EXTREMELY accurate and has all these rally nuances that make the rally experience that many of us have taken part of or observed at a real event.  But there is also a balance problem, sure they could make the pre-mentioned game, actually thats a [relatively] easy production.  The hard part comes in to make it fun and appealing to a large audience.  

I am with the crowed that wants a balanced game.  I don't have the hours and hours of free time to play a game like I did in my teens and twenties. So I like jumping in, playing for an hour or two and getting some feeling of accomplishment, and maybe in a few days pick up and be able to jump right back in without some lengthy pre-game setup that is overly detailed.  

Just to pitch my opinion in on DLCs: 

Well let me move a little backward, I have been having fun with these "preview/beta" releases of a few games.  I have paid full price for them and have fun seeing the progression of the game.  Its a bit like getting a new game upgrade or a bunch of DLCs released every 2-3 weeks for free and it keeps my interest.  The companies seem to get a cash flow injection and a gauge on the interest of the game and what is working and not working in relatively short time.

I DO NOT like subscriptions like iRacing etc where they are completely on line, and you have to be overly committed to enjoy the game.  No need for me to add to that.

Now for paying later for DLC, I don't mind this model, as long as the base game has a fair amount of content, as most games have.   I actually like the OPTION of picking and choosing extra content.  Your choice, might not be mine, but we can all have something to buy to build on the interest of the game.  I also don't mind paying a bit more for extra-special content, something like a whole new series or set of tracks that the company has worked hard on and spent a lot of time on.  Cars could be sold individually or in packs, individually makes them a little more of an impulse buy, packs would usually be cheaper for the number of cars bought at once.

One part that seems to really very from publisher to publisher is longevity and support for the game as far as DLC, some have been able to add content for a couple of years.  I don't know how this would work for CM good or bad, I don't know if from a marketing perspective this is good or bad to have a small team to continue working on a game more than a year old.  Is this particular market been programed to see yearly releases?  That is beyond my thinking abilities an left to a team of those at CM. 

I know this is all babble and doesn't change much in reality, I am "just a fan" but only one fan.  But maybe it'll pass the time till they release the game reading this post. :)

gfRally said:
@GentleNameMVB 

For being so far apart (location) we seem to think alike.  

I agree with your entire post! 

I think that regardless of the release/DLC format it will ultimately come down to whether the core of the game (handling, approach, balancing of fun vs challenge) is just right. Game, DLC or Season Pass sales will follow naturally if the people will enjoy themselves so much they'll want to extend the life of the game for them. (a rather obvious thing to say...)

The developers and publishers face a tough challenge as often they need to commit to development of DLC in their business plans and then sometimes they end up overpricing the DLC and may also find themselves with lower sales than expected.

From my perspective (and I know nothing about game development or publishing) Codemasters have a chance to reignite the offroad game franchise by aiming at a balance between challenge and fun similar to CMR games and by innovating with physics, features, support post-release and visuals. (again rather obvious, but true!)

Even to an outsider like me the above seems like an impossible mission, but based on @KickUp 's hints, tweets and interviews I think the next game can really get close to achieving that impossible mission.

789ifyz said:
i don't think this is the right place to post this, but i'll post it anyway.

I had a strange dream last night. i dreamed that i was watching some epic new trailers for the next DiRT game and that it was simply called "DiRT" with no other letters/words or numbers, and that it had a red square with a white version of the old Codies' "m" found on the CMR games.

I also dreamed that @ThierryNeuville and other WRC drivers commented on the game, which had pretty much every type of rally, some very long stages, and the trailer also showed off the i20 and some classics. the drivers were saying that, unlike most games, this one had them pretty tense and they took it more seriously than other racers. According to them, it was hands down the best car game they had played in a long time.

After all that, I was torn between waiting for a sale post-release (which i do for all the games i ever buy) and purchasing the game at full price there and then. in the end, i pre-ordered it on Steam for £35.

Amazing dream! :smile:  

I'd quite like if the next was just called DiRT - written in professional looking, bold and red letters. If it can't be called just 'DiRT' maybe an add on like DiRT: Focus or something better. For some reason '4' seems to me like quite a large number to put next to a name and the signs are that the next game may not follow #3 in the same way Dirt 3 followed #2 - a slightly bigger change in approach is on the way I hope.

Whatever it's called it doesn't make much of a difference to me :wink: 

On a subject of Gossip this tweet by @KickUp drew my attention:

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/489500039912644608

While such words may have been used to help @justbiglee deal with his realisation, the tweet was 'favourited' by @JonTucker .

Also no one else in the world had used that hashtag before: https://twitter.com/hashtag/confronttheunkown?src=hash 

'Confront the unknown' fits a rally theme well in my opinion: confronting unknown conditions and so many turns that cannot all be remembered.

Hmmm - my biggest wish for the next game is to have very variable road surface conditions (dynamic surfaces) so such a hashtag/motto would work with that

@VirtuaIceMan‌  hahaha, but remember the story of the emperors new clothes

Lets hope someone is spell checking DiRT 4 for Paul! :D

gfRally said:
@GentleNameMVB 

For being so far apart (location) we seem to think alike.  

I agree with your entire post! 

I think that regardless of the release/DLC format it will ultimately come down to whether the core of the game (handling, approach, balancing of fun vs challenge) is just right. Game, DLC or Season Pass sales will follow naturally if the people will enjoy themselves so much they'll want to extend the life of the game for them. (a rather obvious thing to say...)

The developers and publishers face a tough challenge as often they need to commit to development of DLC in their business plans and then sometimes they end up overpricing the DLC and may also find themselves with lower sales than expected.

From my perspective (and I know nothing about game development or publishing) Codemasters have a chance to reignite the offroad game franchise by aiming at a balance between challenge and fun similar to CMR games and by innovating with physics, features, support post-release and visuals. (again rather obvious, but true!)

Even to an outsider like me the above seems like an impossible mission, but based on @KickUp 's hints, tweets and interviews I think the next game can really get close to achieving that impossible mission.

DLC was what sprung to my mind as well. Maybe this explains the delays in the F1 announcement.

I cannot understand the aggro with DLC at the moment. Look at the stuff spouted on some websites you'd think it is the work of the devil. Neither the devs nor the customers are having fun with it, it's just lose lose - we want win win.

The thing is people (should) love dlc. But to me the point where people want it is when the have played the game to oblivion and desperately want more before the follow up title is released. What they don't want is near day zero dlc, Because they just feel that should be part of the release game.

Thing is, I can't understand why the devs don't want to do it like this. For example if you wait for 3-6 months following release you are in a better position to judge the demand for the dlc and whether it is worth doing as you have the sales figures. And at that point people just want more if they like the game. Not so subtle sales psychology me thinks.

Anyway to the guy who has dreams about dirt releases, amazing. More fun that my ones about Rhianna and beer.

tbtstt said:

Haha let's hope so! :P Then again a number of pages back @KickUp claimed he doesn't do typos in his posts :)

dirt3joe said:

DLC was what sprung to my mind as well. Maybe this explains the delays in the F1 announcement.

I cannot understand the aggro with DLC at the moment. Look at the stuff spouted on some websites you'd think it is the work of the devil. Neither the devs nor the customers are having fun with it, it's just lose lose - we want win win.

The thing is people (should) love dlc. But to me the point where people want it is when the have played the game to oblivion and desperately want more before the follow up title is released. What they don't want is near day zero dlc, Because they just feel that should be part of the release game.

Thing is, I can't understand why the devs don't want to do it like this. For example if you wait for 3-6 months following release you are in a better position to judge the demand for the dlc and whether it is worth doing as you have the sales figures. And at that point people just want more if they like the game. Not so subtle sales psychology me thinks.

Anyway to the guy who has dreams about dirt releases, amazing. More fun that my ones about Rhianna and beer.

Lot's of very fair points again. 

From my limited knowledge of game development for a track or a car to be included in release version of the game the work on it would start 3-6 months earlier? Therefore, when the guys are finishing the release version there probably is a team of guys working on content, which is not expected to make it into the game before release. I think in case of GRID Autosport, with a 12 month dev time, that must have been the case.

In an ideal world we'd get a game full of content, enough to justify £40 price tag and a clear definition of what DLC will follow and on what terms.

In case of Autosport the DLC plans are quite extensive and a Season Pass makes sense. Then again when I've paid £17 for Autosport on PC and then DLC content for £20+ is announced I would have preferred to know exactly what will be in those packs I'm committing my money to. 

For some reason any DLC announcement I see I tend to react 'that's quite a bit of money if you compare it to the price of a full game with 10 times as many tracks/cars'. So how can developers and publishers avoid such a reaction? I dunno... 

This is such a tricky thing to get right as people tend to value content differently and prefer different things in game. For a developer to commit to create DLC content they're risking quite a bit as most of the time they don't know if sales are strong and if people will keep playing the game after the first 2 weeks. Perhaps that is the reason why DLC packs appear to be quite pricey as the publisher wants to cover themselves and break at least even by relying on the enthusiasts to buy enough DLC.

What does this all mean for the DiRT franchise? I'm very intrigued and can't wait for the day we find out. While it won't make much of a difference to me (I'm a bit of a fan) I hope that game and its DLC will be a success for the company.

Thinking about all the above makes me quite happy not to have to make those decisions... Being an engineer is easier :)

tbtstt said:

Haha let's hope so! :P Then again a number of pages back @KickUp claimed he doesn't do typos in his posts :)

dirt3joe said:

Lot's of very fair points again. 

From my limited knowledge of game development for a track or a car to be included in release version of the game the work on it would start 3-6 months earlier? Therefore, when the guys are finishing the release version there probably is a team of guys working on content, which is not expected to make it into the game before release. I think in case of GRID Autosport, with a 12 month dev time, that must have been the case.

In an ideal world we'd get a game full of content, enough to justify £40 price tag and a clear definition of what DLC will follow and on what terms.

In case of Autosport the DLC plans are quite extensive and a Season Pass makes sense. Then again when I've paid £17 for Autosport on PC and then DLC content for £20+ is announced I would have preferred to know exactly what will be in those packs I'm committing my money to. 

For some reason any DLC announcement I see I tend to react 'that's quite a bit of money if you compare it to the price of a full game with 10 times as many tracks/cars'. So how can developers and publishers avoid such a reaction? I dunno... 

This is such a tricky thing to get right as people tend to value content differently and prefer different things in game. For a developer to commit to create DLC content they're risking quite a bit as most of the time they don't know if sales are strong and if people will keep playing the game after the first 2 weeks. Perhaps that is the reason why DLC packs appear to be quite pricey as the publisher wants to cover themselves and break at least even by relying on the enthusiasts to buy enough DLC.

What does this all mean for the DiRT franchise? I'm very intrigued and can't wait for the day we find out. While it won't make much of a difference to me (I'm a bit of a fan) I hope that game and its DLC will be a success for the company.

Thinking about all the above makes me quite happy not to have to make those decisions... Being an engineer is easier :)

My guess is DLC costs what it costs because that's how much it costs to produce it plus a fair profit. 

For dlc in general (not just codemasters). I would say it makes sense to develop the dlc at the same time or immediately after the main game as otherwise the tools may change/ it is more hassle swithcving teams over between projects etc. But what it doesn't make sense (from a customer viewpoint) is release it practically day zero with the game. Now ... my guess is internally in these businesses there are bean counters yelling that the dlc has to be released as soon as possible so the profit can be taken as early as possible (because the dev costs have been incurred). At some point though you have to recognise that doing what accountants tell you all the time is as bad as ignoring them completely. The situation needs to turn. The way it should work is that gamers should be begging devs for more dlc, not slating them for producing it.

Anyway, re codemasters, I was really annoyed that there was not more DLC for Dirt3. I loved the Monte Carlo track pack.

@dirt3joe‌ @GentleNameMVB‌ @tbtstt‌ 

At least there are a small group of us that make sense and reason stuff out logically.

Mastavonblasta:  I agree, I don't want that job either!  Maybe @justbiglee‌'s job, it sounds pretty easy: http://youtu.be/YWyCCJ6B2WE

BTW: Lee, looks like the forums comment box has changed, I like it, miss the old emojis though.  Keep up the hard work.

As long as the DLC integration is more subtle than Dirt3; being shown all the cars you could buy in the game was a bit mean! DLC could be extra championships/type of events. For example, if hillclimbs didn't ship with the game, that could be a candidate for DLC.

gfRally said:

@dirt3joe‌ @GentleNameMVB‌ @tbtstt‌ 

At least there are a small group of us that make sense and reason stuff out logically.

Mastavonblasta:  I agree, I don't want that job either!  Maybe @justbiglee‌'s job, it sounds pretty easy: http://youtu.be/YWyCCJ6B2WE

BTW: Lee, looks like the forums comment box has changed, I like it, miss the old emojis though.  Keep up the hard work.

Yeah, absolutely @gfRally‌.I daresay the majority of the regular posters here in the DiRT section all think along the same lines concerning what is and isn't feasible when it comes to a new game.

I actually think @justbiglee‌ has a pretty tough job. Can't be easy to continually dream up new ways of winding us all up on Twitter! :smiley: 

I agree with @VirtuaIceMan‌ concerning the implementation of DLC in DiRT 3: it was a bit cruel to wave what you could have in peoples faces!

tbtstt said:

Yeah, absolutely @gfRally‌.I daresay the majority of the regular posters here in the DiRT section all think along the same lines concerning what is and isn't feasible when it comes to a new game.

I actually think @justbiglee‌ has a pretty tough job. Can't be easy to continually dream up new ways of winding us all up on Twitter! :smiley: 

I agree with @VirtuaIceMan‌ concerning the implementation of DLC in DiRT 3: it was a bit cruel to wave what you could have in peoples faces!

I'm sure @justbiglee would love to openly talk about the next DiRT game, just as @Loore was absolutely hurting until GRID Autosport was announced and explained. Same goes for @Hatta who is getting bombarded with relentless 'WHEN? WHEN? WHEN? about the F1 game, when it's safe to say FOM are holding up by the process by taking eternity to approve the announcement.

As I see DiRT game is in a queue behind the F1 game so may need to wait quite a while to hear anything official. Luckily the devs are dropping some hints here and there :) One of my biggest wishes is that one day one of my crazy theories expressed in the thread will turn out to be true... :)

Off-topic: @justbiglee any news on whether I can be MastaVonBlasta again? Cheers!

As I see DiRT game is in a queue behind the F1 game so may need to wait quite a while to hear anything official. Luckily the devs are dropping some hints here and there :) One of my biggest wishes is that one day one of my crazy theories expressed in the thread will turn out to be true... :)

Who says that all hints are correct? ;) *wink wink*
I really hope that the rumour of the WRC 5 game is not true and that codemasters can get the WRC license,... I mean imagine a WRC serie line up as the F1 games,... made by Codemasters.... that would be awesome!

I think also most of the Codemasters fans knows that Codemasters stand for High level Quality games.
I think that is what we are searching for a WRC Rally / Rallycross racing game.
Although i wont mind an ERC rally and a WRXC rallycross game,
I think that also match equally to the WRC license game ( the wrc classes WRC2,3) I think some WRC cars would be good as add on without official liveries.

I really hope that the rumour of the WRC 5 game is not true and that codemasters can get the WRC license,... I mean imagine a WRC serie line up as the F1 games,... made by Codemasters.... that would be awesome!

I think also most of the Codemasters fans knows that Codemasters stand for High level Quality games.
I think that also match equally to the WRC license game ( the wrc classes WRC2,3) I think some WRC cars would be good as add on without official liveries.

Just out of interest what is it about having the WRC licence that is so appealing to you guys? How would that make the game better in your eyes?

justbiglee said: 
Just out of interest what is it about having the WRC licence that is so appealing to you guys? How would that make the game better in your eyes?

Being able to "live out fantasys" of driving in the WRC, and for some irrational reason, beating Seb Ogier and co is more satisfying than beating fictional character X. But an unlicensed game with good gameplay is still better than a mediocre licensed one (See Richard Burns Rally)

Just out of interest what is it about having the WRC licence that is so appealing to you guys? How would that make the game better in your eyes?

How am i going to expalin this easy and clear,

Its like Pro evolution soccer (PES) and FIFA,

Fifa got all the official license (almost all) and pes has some better game play, but u still want to play fifa because you got your heroes in an official stadion, tenue, all the official names etc etc, u dont want to play a game with fiction names, as said here before u want to beat your real heroes like Ogier or Loeb, in the real liveries, on the real stages etc etc also u want to drive all the old and new official rally cars like to change history! For example drive the Peugeot 206 WRC against the Hyundai accent WRC..

Its like u dont want to drive in a F1 game tbe team ferrari thats called "italian horse" in the colour pink with drivers called kimi the flying fin or fernado the bull.

As in the F1 games u want to challenge ur heroes or take part in the real current season!

It is always satisfying when there is SOME sort of license involved,  WRC, ERC, World RX, European RX, GRC, Rally America (! = cheap! maybe) BAJA, Dakar, Lucas Oil Off road..  drivers/and some tracks if possible.  DiRT2 was pretty cool with Block, Foust, Mirra, and Pastrana all cheering you on and competing against you.  DiRT1 was cool with Pikes Peak.

I am a big rally fan, but I don't know every track, stage and corner.  Some I know but have forgotten about too.  But each series has their favorite or iconic tracks/stages/courses even a famous jump/water hole/turn, I don't think rally games need to have stages laser-mapped like some are doing for certain asphalt race courses, thats just not rally.   But getting that 'feeling or emotion' of the particular place I think is a good goal.  

How am i going to expalin this easy and clear,

Its like Pro evolution soccer (PES) and FIFA,

Fifa got all the official license (almost all) and pes has some better game play, but u still want to play fifa because you got your heroes in an official stadion, tenue, all the official names etc etc, u dont want to play a game with fiction names, as said here before u want to beat your real heroes like Ogier or Loeb, in the real liveries, on the real stages etc etc also u want to drive all the old and new official rally cars like to change history! For example drive the Peugeot 206 WRC against the Hyundai accent WRC..

Its like u dont want to drive in a F1 game tbe team ferrari thats called "italian horse" in the colour pink with drivers called kimi the flying fin or fernado the bull.

As in the F1 games u want to challenge ur heroes or take part in the real current season!

Good point. Imagine a game based around single seaters, had about 3 official licenced F1 cars and the rest are repeats of the 3 licenced F1 cars with different liveries. Eg a Ferrari 2014 with a Puma livery. Because that is what the dirt games are but with offroad cars. Not as that is  a bad thimg and it is much better to have multiple liveriess but it would not feel like true F1. Just like it is far too difficult to emulate WRC on DiRT 3 with just WRC cars. With DiRT it would work much better with just fake liveries. 

It is like, have the whole thing, or dont have it at all. As bad as that sounds and as sad as it is, it is true.

Just like the guys above having I'd say having officially licenced series would add to authenticity by allowing the player to 'feel' as if he/she is beating legends, in their real cars on real and iconic stages.

How many rally fans/game users would be able to tell Ouninpohja from Jukojarvi? Or that a bend in the El Condor in Argentina was slightly wrong? I'd say that the best thing for the game would be to have real world locations (preferably from WRC, Poland please!) and portray characteristics of the location as close as possible. Even if the game had locations, which used to be in WRC, would be fantastic and if they were closely represented then this would greatly add to level of authenticity in my opinion.

With regards to cars I think it is important to have them licensed so that we wouldn't be piloting GTA style cars with made up names, even if they resemble real life rally cars. We're passionately watching the top drivers in specific cars and imagine how we'd do if we were in their seat. 

Personally I'm not too concerned whether they have licensed liveries, but that is just my view. A livery editor would be great though!

The worst situation would be if an official and full WRC licence would force Codemasters to make a game the promotor would want. If Codemasters are able to licence great locations from outside of WRC and individually include modern and past WRC as well as lower category cars; and create an authentic and full of content experience then that would be ideal :) Easy right? :P

gfRally said:

It is always satisfying when there is SOME sort of license involved,  WRC, ERC, World RX, European RX, GRC, Rally America (! = cheap! maybe) BAJA, Dakar, Lucas Oil Off road..  drivers/and some tracks if possible.  DiRT2 was pretty cool with Block, Foust, Mirra, and Pastrana all cheering you on and competing against you.  DiRT1 was cool with Pikes Peak.

Fully agreed with this. Like @doyley101‌ I find it more satisfying to race against real names on real stages/tracks (in "proper" rally cars). Having said that, when in concerns the rallying content I can think of several licensed Championships/events I'd be happy with in place of a full WRC license. 

Specific events from the WRC calendar (such as Monte Carlo, Finland and Wales) are a bigger priority (to me) then having the overall World Rally Championship. I mentioned it in the wish list ages ago, but instead of the full-WRC license I'd love to see CM produce a rally "best of" with the best events from many rally Championships all rolled into one game. 

The worst situation would be if an official and full WRC licence would force Codemasters to make a game the promotor would want. If Codemasters are able to licence great locations from outside of WRC and individually include modern and past WRC as well as lower category cars; and create an authentic and full of content experience then that would be ideal :) Easy right? :P

Hypothetically speaking... What if it couldn't have that other stuff too, what if having the WRC licence meant just having WRC and WRC only, no Hillclimb, Rallycross, Dakar, ERC, Rally America, Group B, 90's or any of the other stuff you've mentioned before and that we've had in our previous games. 

Would you still want WRC at the cost of all that other stuff?

Hypothetically speaking... What if it couldn't have that other stuff too, what if having the WRC licence meant just having WRC and WRC only, no Hillclimb, Rallycross, Dakar, ERC, Rally America, Group B, 90's or any of the other stuff you've mentioned before and that we've had in our previous games. 

Would you still want WRC at the cost of all that other stuff?

People buy the F1 games without GP2, Formula Renault and Fornula Ford dont they? It is no different than that. And I see no reason why the F1 model cant be followed, with classic cars as DLC or in a special edition? To be honest, I would prefer classic cars to come out in bursts as DLC. Rallys in DLC too like Safari that are not in the WRC calender but are legendary.