DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

@doyley101‌ 

I understand your point, and that is what I always thought to, but then I thought some more :) after @justbiglee‌'s comment.  Yes physics are physics, and no denying that, and yes there are some similarities.  

But they probably found that to do rally justice (and hopefully other off-road events) because there are so many extra variables and graphics effects (and sound? processing) that it was best to fork off, and have an engine tuned just for rally.

I imagine that its similar to a flight sim, the same physics apply, but there are a lot of extra variables that you need to program specifically for. 

Yeah I agree, especially as (not in a bad way) the dirt/F1/Grid physics engines are not 100% accurate (no engine is) but I was just saying that theoretically the same base physics engine could be used for all games, with the finer details and variables being 'filled in' for each game.

Love that picture, as for the sharing tech... well lets just say F1 cars don't rally well :P

When I've mentioned tech I mean the new lighting physics. I know nothing about game engines, but I thought that ego engine was used for all Codies games, but certain aspects of it were modified for different games.

I suspect Codies would love to have an engine where they could plug in values and transform an F1 car into a rally car without too much work, but it can't be that easy. In the future I would love if new iterations of games would include tracks and stages from previous games and be mad full of content!

When it comes tarmac rally and circuit racing I actually thought that the same physics model could be used for example for DiRT and GRID, but the physics would have to be detailed enough to make the bumps, loose gravel on tarmac and changeable conditions come through.

F1 game blog mentioned that for the next gen game they're building a game engine from scratch.I'm just curios how much of that will be used in the next DiRT game. It may be that the very spine of the game will be engineering for all games and extensions built up from it for various game types. I hope that one we'll find out how this all works. 

It must be hell of a task to build everything from scratch and with the F1 title needing at least 7 more months I wonder where next DiRT is on the development timeline. If there was a skeleton team working on the next DiRT since 2011 how much of their work will be used when new tech is rolled out? (assuming that DiRT will use it)

All these questions we won't get answers on for the foreseeable future.. :) 

On a slightly different topic I can't help myself but racing shown below looks rather awesome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-rPzSSjoGM

Azoresst said:

It's called you F1 lot @Azoresst‌ 

Well, what about we create a hashtag on Twitter like #AnnounceDiRT4 and tweet it to Codemasters/DiRT/Paul/Lee accounts?

What do you think guys? Will that work?

I wish it was that easy! :D 

Colin McRae would have turned 46 today,... still miss the legend!

I think Colin is still for many rally drivers a big idol,.. a legend...

Also thanks for getting rally at a real high gaming level with Codemasters !

We miss you!

@ThierryNeuville‌ 

http://youtu.be/T9DC8CWSgb8

Not an unknown documentary, but I just dug this up again to watch.  Codemasters is a small part of his legacy, too.  I am sure more legends will follow Collins and Blocks (yea Block is a legend too IMHO) involvement in codemasters games.

Hello, after a relatively quiet period we've got some Gossip material! I know that my interpretations are often hopeful and optimistic and it will be no different now:

https://twitter.com/jamielowesdev/status/497627546033606656

https://twitter.com/jontucker1/status/497643168150859776

https://twitter.com/jamielowesdev/status/497653323877871616

https://twitter.com/jamielowesdev/status/497654478519427072

I'm hoping that DiRTy devs are working on dynamic stage evolution: rutting, cleaning, dragging stuff on when cutting... That's one of my biggest wishes for the next game - to have an evolving rally stage.

'Realtime rutting' would be just that.

Another interesting thing I spotted is that Codemasters Racing are sponsoring David Binks' start at WorldRX in Loheac! Would there be Codemasters Racing stickers on the car? DiRT stickers?

In any case this to me is a statement that Codies want to be associated with FIA World Rallycross Championship and are working on licensed content. It will be interesting to see how well David does at the French World RX round. I reckon the entry list will be big for that event so plenty of competition for someone out of the car for a while. I also hope he comes ahead of a certain Mr Block, with NFS stickers:

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/497755205728206848

At rally GB Paul and Jon did mention that they were looking into stage deformation and rutting, they were getting footage to bring back to the team for 'research'.

Codemasters involvement with RX can only be good news!

Azoresst said:

@justbiglee‌ 

@GentleNameMVB‌ @Azoresst‌ 

Could this also be a clue about 'pavement rutting' or terrain deformation?  

gfRally said:
Azoresst said:

@justbiglee‌ 

@GentleNameMVB‌ @Azoresst‌ 

Could this also be a clue about 'pavement rutting' or terrain deformation?  

Ask @KickUp :P

I think he might be talking about Mattias Ekstrom. His Audi is plastered with Need for Speed stickers.

I'm not sure Kenneth Blockington actually has any visible Need for Speed stickers.

I think he might be talking about Mattias Ekstrom. His Audi is plastered with Need for Speed stickers.

I'm not sure Kenneth Blockington actually has any visible Need for Speed stickers.

Yes he has! And Team EKS S1 cars will not be in the Canadian RX round as said by them in Facebook!

The stonebastien Loeb it's the storie on codies blogue! Paul Coleman got hit by that said rock at goodwood forest stage, thrown by Loeb DS3! Now you know how real rallyhead fells, go make as a real game :wink: 

Another interesting thing I spotted is that Codemasters Racing are sponsoring David Binks' start at WorldRX in Loheac! Would there be Codemasters Racing stickers on the car? DiRT stickers?

In any case this to me is a statement that Codies want to be associated with FIA World Rallycross Championship and are working on licensed content. It will be interesting to see how well David does at the French World RX round. I reckon the entry list will be big for that event so plenty of competition for someone out of the car for a while. I also hope he comes ahead of a certain Mr Block, with NFS stickers:

https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/497755205728206848

I shall be at Loheac, so I will be sure to have a look at Binks car for any incriminating stickers!

As @lumpiestfish115‌ has said the EKS cars run with Need For Speed decals. I'm sure Blocks car had some small NFS stickers on in Finland, so that's three cars Binks has got to beat in France! 

I have got my fingers crossed that Codemasters are building up to include licensed World Rallycross content in the next game. To have all the Championship cars, drivers and teams included would be dream game material for me!

Slightly off topic, but fantastic win for Solberg in Canada yesterday. Wasn't that impressed by the track, but Petter was absolutely on it. Very impressive to watch, I hope he can take his third win of the year in France!

tbtstt said:

I shall be at Loheac, so I will be sure to have a look at Binks car for any incriminating stickers!

As @lumpiestfish115‌ has said the EKS cars run with Need For Speed decals. I'm sure Blocks car had some small NFS stickers on in Finland, so that's three cars Binks has got to beat in France! 

I have got my fingers crossed that Codemasters are building up to include licensed World Rallycross content in the next game. To have all the Championship cars, drivers and teams included would be dream game material for me!

Slightly off topic, but fantastic win for Solberg in Canada yesterday. Wasn't that impressed by the track, but Petter was absolutely on it. Very impressive to watch, I hope he can take his third win of the year in France!

I agree that the track was not the most exciting, but the event was still pretty good overall. I loved seeing the cars in sunset lighting, with fire spitting out of exhausts clearly visible and brake discs glowing. The track had a very long straight, but the straight was preceded with a narrow section so getting alongisde to overtake was very difficult. The gravel was 'realtime' rutting very quickly leaving the cars in a bit of a procession. Petter Solberg absolutely bossed it and it was a pleasure to watch him drive with so much precision and confidence. I wonder if they'll do anything about the track for next year.

@justbiglee thrashing a Skoda in Hell, Liam Doran visiting Codies a while back, @KickUp complimenting the track in Sweden, Codemasters Racing sponsoring and inviting David Binks and RX news on @dirtgame Twtitter - there are plenty of signs suggesting WorldRX may be a part of the next DiRT game. I guess we shouldn't expect a confirmation of that tie-up until the actual game is announced :)

It was interesting to see@JonTucker ask on Twitter what is the most important aspect of handling in racing games - I hope it was to tick off boxes on an already existing list :P 

Codemasters took over the Sega Racing Studios team, and Sega Rally (Revo) had ground deformation, so I don't see why Dirt4 couldn't. Besides, there's games like Spintyres on Steam with heavy ground deformation. Of course some forms of really would be more affected by rutting than others...

As the big news is that Marcus Gronholm signed a contract with VW rallyteam as test driver, hereby some funny legendary moments from Marcus:

my favorite:
"There came some stone through timo's seat op inthe @sshole of timo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF_0PoLbZro

VW really haven't messed around with their rally program, they have involved so many experienced drivers in the development of the Polo. I hope that someone at VW can tempt Gronholm back into a rallycross car as well.

VW have certainly not messed about... Couple of months ago I read that they've agreed to freeze car development to keep the competition closer (it won't be close...), but it seems they're already testing the 2015 car... Hyundai also intend to roll out a new car for 2015. At the same time Citroen is focusing on WTCC (where it's dominating) and M-Sport Ford is lacking the funds to keep up :( 

@JonTucker 's tweet from couple of months ago with' Braking news' and photo of VW Polo WRC is in my mind the clearest hint of a new in the DiRT game franchise. VW want to get value out of their WRC success and it appears they're the ones pushing heavily for big changes to attract TV viewers. It would make sense for them to licence their car out and they're not as prohibitive as Porsche or Ferrari. 

@justbiglee mentioned how amazing the Gossip is over on the DiRT game Facebook page so I had a look and it's true! According to fellas there Pikes Peak was confirmed for the next game! :open_mouth: 

My latest far fetched interpretation is that Sebastian Loeb will have a decent sized involvement in the game, more than chucking rocks at the DiRT dev team.... ;] ;]

Interesting stuff! Now, is it too early to hope for a hint of DiRT4 at Gamescom? With F1 out of ze way and Grid well into DLC release mode, silly season must be coming up for the DiRT/CMR franchise?

Silly season for DiRT news never ends :D 

When E3 was around the corner the DiRTy devs hyped us up to the absolute limit and... no news appeared :( Could it be that they're keeping quiet to drop an absolute bomb of DiRT news? Personally, I doubt it... Codies were not ready to talk about their next-gen title when F1 2014 was announced and the release stated that F1 2015 would be their first title on the new consoles. Unless next DiRT comes out on PC only (very unlikely!) we've got a long wait ahead of us...

That wait is not stopping @justbiglee from fuelling my interpretation of some previous tweets, that the next DiRT may have Delta in its name. 4 = Delta

https://twitter.com/justbiglee/status/499224546382454784

Haha!

https://twitter.com/Hatward/status/499236369508880384

Evilsmurf said:

Did I miss something? when was dirt4 confirmed for next gen? @GentleNameMVB

Of course it wasn't confirmed - it is just my view that if the next DiRT game is released after the 2015 F1 game it will be current gen game only (in 2015 we should be calling PS3 and X360 old-gen I think) and PC. With the news that Sony has actually sold 10 million PS4s to customers the install base is growing quite quickly. I also wouldn't want the devs to be limited by the old-gens and aim for the sky with the next game. 

It will be interesting to see for how long Codemasters will keep on supporting PS3 and X360 - it is just my view that the next DiRT should not be a cross-generation game. 

Cool, was panicking thinking I had missed an important announcement.

My personal view (and to some degree I hope I'm wrong) is that the next dirt will at best be cross-generation title for although ps4 may have sold 10 mill and probably around the same figure for the xbox one their are still around the same amount, if not more ps3's and xbox 360's around that they would be silly to miss out on sales. I think the new dirt will be for ps3 and xbox 360 with the next title being next gen. 

The other thing I'm unsure of is just how much more powerful the next gen consoles are over the current crop? I would say the next gen consoles are still 3-4 years behind a medium to high spec PC and giving the new dirt content "wish list" I doubt even the next gen consoles could cope with it. Sure the graphics for the next gen look better but is the memory and cpu power up to task for copping with a living deforming rally stage, dynamic weather or even a stage longer than 5 mins ? I'm not so sure.