DiRTy Gossip

Let's tamper those Quattro E2 hopes to avoid too much disappointment though.
My interpretation of the DiRT Show is that its more likely to be something considered for a future game as DiRT Rally has the Pikes Peak version of the E2 so it wouldn't bring enough diversity, even if that is a very different beast in its own way.

As far as the Quattro goes, my own feeling is that if the car is going to represented, it should either be the earliest version which revolutionised rally for ever, or the final E2 which became such an iconic symbol of Group B.
Given the Group B line up we have in DiRT Rally, the E2 would have been the best fit, but those are the cards we're dealt with.

Of course, part of this could be how easy/difficult it is to source an E2 they could have good access to for source material, especially since they haven't modelled the car since CMR 2005. I imagine they wouldn't want to just chop up the Pikes Peak 3D model.
The budget for DiRT Rally is almost certainly a factor in the smaller number of 100% new from scratch cars like the 2001 Focus/Impreza, 037, Ibiza, 306, all the WRX cars, etc.

gfRally said:
@Rallycameraman I thought @KickUp was pretty clear that the game just can't handle another car on the stage.  Something about computing overhead or game engine...  Not sure
I have watched some videos of rallycrossing in stages, so it is other thing but no game engine troubles i think

yes 8 man rally mp. no rally cross RALLY.that is probably the most wanted thing. :p

dgeesi0 said:
yes 8 man rally mp. no rally cross RALLY.that is probably the most wanted thing. :p
Yes i know, evereyone wants PvP rally i think, i say that the game is able to put more than one Car in stage, maybe it is not posible because of money

I couldn't give a stuff about cars being on stage together and contact being possible - I imagine I'd try a public lobby once and be done with it (and I suspect many on here asking for it would do likewise).

Would like to see PvP but just as time against time, starting simultaneously, but no biggie if not - a bit of AI development would be preferable.

I would personally like to see Fireball cheat in PvP Rallycross as an option :D Imagine how much fun that would be xD Even though I like RX, with that I would definitely be spending a lot more time there.

I mean, come on, who here that played CMR 2.0 didn't laugh their ass out on arcade sweden with fireball cheat?

I would personally like to see Fireball cheat in PvP Rallycross as an option :D Imagine how much fun that would be xD Even though I like RX, with that I would definitely be spending a lot more time there.

I mean, come on, who here that played CMR 2.0 didn't laugh their ass out on arcade sweden with fireball cheat?
I've never used that, I've considered it totally stupid even though I was pretty young back then.

dgeesi0 said:
Yes i know, evereyone wants PvP rally i think, i say that the game is able to put more than one Car in stage, maybe it is not posible because of money
The Rallycross tracks are way smaller and put less load on the engine. They've said a couple times the MP rally isn't possible.

JZStudios said:
dgeesi0 said:
The Rallycross tracks are way smaller and put less load on the engine. They've said a couple times the MP rally isn't possible.
The cars are also built to cope with multiple cars on track. 

KickUp said:
JZStudios said:
dgeesi0 said:
ie, there are AI versions of the cars which are rendered at a lower level of detail (most obviously, the windows are opaque, so no interior is rendered)

BrySkye said:
KickUp said:
JZStudios said:
dgeesi0 said:
ie, there are AI versions of the cars which are rendered at a lower level of detail (most obviously, the windows are opaque, so no interior is rendered)
Actually, @KickUp said that probably is a bug. I also thought it was intentional to save performance.

Rally is all time-based, its not a head-to-head thing.

I want PvP rally, but in the sense that me and my mates stage the stage simultaneously ( like D3) and record a time at the end on a leaderboard.  The most interaction id like to see, is a ghost of my opponent, with his name on it, I dont need ability to crash into him.

dgeesi0 said:
how cant it be done in this if it was done in dirt 3 ?
Higher polygons on DiRT Rally cars most likely along with general increase in polygons for everything else (and DiRT 3 stages were laughably short). DirectX 11 has a limited amount of draw calls that can be made at any given time, so that's the most likely cause for the lack of other cars on rally stages.
Better graphics on the same engine means you're gonna be limited in other area's.

But this guess can be completely wrong, so take it with a huge grain of salt.

dgeesi0 said:

DiRT 3 was built with 8 cars on track at all times as part of the foundation. That meant that every car and track was built to cope with that. In DiRT Rally the stages are longer and contain more detail than they did in DiRT3 and they were built with the focus being a single car on stage.

The Rallycross tracks are smaller and the Rallycross cars have been built with lower levels of detail (something that the Rally cars don't have).

dgeesi0 said:
DirectX 11 has a limited amount of draw calls that can be made at any given time, so that's the most likely cause for the lack of other cars on rally stages.
Personally, I think it was a bit more about factoring in the possibility of porting it to consoles and their hardware limitations further down the line.

KickUp said:
dgeesi0 said:

DiRT 3 was built with 8 cars on track at all times as part of the foundation. That meant that every car and track was built to cope with that. In DiRT Rally the stages are longer and contain more detail than they did in DiRT3 and they were built with the focus being a single car on stage.

The Rallycross tracks are smaller and the Rallycross cars have been built with lower levels of detail (something that the Rally cars don't have).

Facts? In the Gossip thread? What kind of madness is this? :o

I wouldn't be too bothered about seeing other cars launch in front of me anyway. I'd quite like the equivalent of dailies and monthlies in a lobby setting; seeing everybody's stage times from their own private stage syncing up with everybody else's at the end, and then moving directly onto the next event whilst keeping tally of time and points. I'm not sure how complicated the coding would be, but it's definitely something to think about if there's time. 

If that could be done, then it would be wondiferous, and I would make @KickUp & Co a particularly nice pan full of soup.

Would there not be some kind of system where you set up a lobby, then everyone just basically plays through the rally by themselves, then you maybe get the results later when everyone is finished?

KickUp said:
dgeesi0 said:

Understandable, but what about being able to get in a lobby with friends set up an event and run at the same time with just times at the end of the stage/event?  Surely that can be implemented maybe?

I think even more importantly is more detailed results for leagues.  Not knowing where you placed on a stage except for the first stage is really annoying.  We need individual stage times as well as overall.  I know you mentioned it in the latest dirt show but it seems like we are only getting stage times on the website and not after we finish a stage in game.

Just a note to anyone that want to use the Focus '07. Make the 6th gear shorter than 5th. The car has issues reaching top speed on Monte Carlo with fully shortened gear box on the standard settings. I had to literally make 6th gear shorter than 5th and then reassemble all the gears accordingly with Final gear ratio fully shortened. And it still had issues reaching top speed.

With that said, if you shorten the gears like a mad man, the car actually is very fast then. I improved my time on Col De Turini Sprint en Montee, though not enough to bump that 2nd place to WR.

PS. That Focus '07 on Monte... dayum it grips. Some improvement to tarmac physics have been done for sure, @Porkhammer was definitely not going crazy on this one.

KickUp said:
dgeesi0 said:

cheers for the reply.hopefully on the next dirt game MP in rally is looked at.MP is mainly gaming now.that doesnt mean i dont like single player dirt its just fun with friends is better overall.

dgeesi0 said:
KickUp said:
dgeesi0 said:

cheers for the reply.hopefully on the next dirt game MP in rally is looked at.MP is mainly gaming now.that doesnt mean i dont like single player dirt its just fun with friends is better overall.
I'd be surprised if it is for games like this. Across R3E, AC, Project CARS, rFactor2 and the like, folk are always playing and using the game but online is often vacant. I think a lot more people in this are playing rallying offline against AI than online (although all scores are logged anyway).

Sure, if you can make a hit MMOG it is a goldmine, but I don't think it's the be all and end all of most games. See how few folk are playing this online compared to off. Obviously, Codies have better data and research that you or II though, but offline certainly isn't 'the past'.

Rallying in particular is a good opportunity for a good 'offline' experience, seeing as the AI doesn't need to be shown physically. RBR was excellent in this respect, with the various teams and drivers each having 'personalities' and being different to one another.

Rally MP doesnt have to be straight on track.Just player ghosts or even timing can do it.