DiRTy Gossip

I know this was a couple of pages back, but wanted too post again :)

https://twitter.com/Helmstif/status/680850015917441026

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/680853808814145536

BrySkye said:

Apparently a redundant line of thought anyway though as the people that went to Codies before the game was even announced have made it clear lately that they were told the exact reason why Toyota are not in the game and it's a reason that means they never, ever, will be.
Would have been sweet to have a Celica with turbo restrictor bypass simulation, and if you actually used it you would have been banned from racenet for cheating.  :p

Job3k said:
Trailer for first DiRT Rally DLC . Not sure if this video was here or not. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSHZDNuV5N8&list=LLOjMYaj6LAWkaVwyrTUkO6Q&index=118
Well. at least we won't lose any call accuracy with the new DLC.

4-speed gearbox!              

Wait?, what?
Yup, the 307 initially had a 4-speed gearbox. It infuriated Grönholm on more than one occasion because it was also unreliable.
Two of my favorite WRC quotes, both from 2004 and both from Gronholm:

"Three gear, three gear! Whole stage! You can tell Corrado now that three is enough!"

G: I  have one gear...
Interviewer: Which one?
G: THREE!

Of course not to mention his other completely unrelated quotes from the same guy:

(after crashing in Australia)
"MAYYYYBE I was going too fast, but I don't think so."

Cyprus 2004:
"It came some stone, ehh, into Timo's seat, up into asshole of Timo"

Mexico 2004:
"No power steering! And I have two long stages to go, I'm fed up with this car"

BrySkye said:
RookieOne said:
Or the Celica ST165 and/or the ST185 (the ST165 would be fun, since it actually had a manually lockable center diff, which would probably translate in-game as being unlocked on tarmac stage and locked on snow and gravel stages or as having only 2 settings : locked and unlocked)
The 205 was in Sega Rally though.
That's all that really needs to be said. :)
That and Codies already have a compatible source file for the 205.

Apparently a redundant line of thought anyway though as the people that went to Codies before the game was even announced have made it clear lately that they were told the exact reason why Toyota are not in the game and it's a reason that means they never, ever, will be.
True enough, but the 205 have a tainted legacy because of the cheating incident.

the 185 and the 165 does not, they actually look way cooler than the 205 and actually dominated for a while (especially the 185) in the hands of Sainz, Auriol and Kankunnen.

For the line of thought, it might be because the expectations of DR were very low after the mixed success of games that CM made during the last few years.

With the success of the Early Access and the fact that the game is going to console, Toyota, Renault and others (especially Mitsubishi, which is lacking with the exception of the R4/Gr.N car) might reconsider their choice (although for Renault, it does look like the reconsidering is ongoing right now)

Now back on topic : 

Concerning the 307, I dare to say poor Timo, but to be frank, if a steel pin manage to get through the car floor (under which it was supposed to be protected by a skidplate), it does mean that the fucking car is bloody dangerous and a real menace to its occupants.

But if renault come ingame, 2 cars I want : 

Alpine A110 (for obvious reasons)
Alpine A310 (yes, the V6 versions that participated in the 1977 French Rally Championship)

For the A310, the reason is simple : it would be cool to have another V6 car in the 70s class as a rival to the lancia (if it's even possible)

RookieOne said:
True enough, but the 205 have a tainted legacy because of the cheating incident.

the 185 and the 165 does not, they actually look way cooler than the 205 and actually dominated for a while (especially the 185) in the hands of Sainz, Auriol and Kankunnen.
To big rally fans, sure, but not so much to gamers. There's a reason why the 205 is the most popular one in games, even though it was the subject of the cheating that got Toyota banned.
It's the icon in spite of that.
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion about the 165 and 185 looking cooler, but I'd never agree. I think they look pretty generic in comparison. 
Sega Rally was my first experience of rally almost exactly 20 years ago. In fact, it was exactly 20 years and 4 days since I got my Sega Saturn and very soon after tried the Sega Rally playable demo and owned the full game by February.
It was the inspiration for so many games, including Colin McRae Rally, making it the de facto Celica by default to many people.
The most popular and recognisable cars aren't always the most successful.

I would always go for the 185 if given the choice, to me it's the better looking, most successful, most iconic, but I'm also aware that I'm a rally fan and I know in the wider world @BrySkye is correct that the 205 is more widely recognised. Crucially though, I think stick any of the three models in game and we'd all be happy, but that doesn't seem likely for some strange reason.

He's spot on that success doesn't necessarily equal fame and vice-versa - one only has to look at the popularity in these boards of the S1 E2 Audi to see that, a car with few rallies and even fewer successes under its belt.

------

By the way, Renault were being discussed above; it would be great news if the R5 and A110 were to come, but does anyone else feel strange about their prospective classes?

If I'm not mistaken, the 5 model is the early '80s edition, such as the 1981 winner, so having it in the late '80s class against the M3 and Sierra would seem massively out if place to me. Group B RWD, even if not officially in 'Maxi' spec would seem more appropriate.

Likewise I'm struggling to comprehend how the Alpine is considered a '60s car, when the model (assuming it's based on the Dirt 3 one) is roughly a '73 one and it would be the ideal opponent to the Stratos. In a '60s class, it would blow the other two away, whereas it should be fairly competitive, if a bit slower, in the '70s category.

Other Renault food for thought, Project CARS recently launched a Renault themed DLC; I wonder if the marketing bods at Renault prefer this approach, for their cars to be a 'star' of their own DLC launch than integrated into a base game. I know this is contradicted a bit by SLRE, but just musing aloud....

I wonder if the marketing bods at Renault prefer this approach, for their cars to be a 'star' of their own DLC launch than integrated into a base game. I know this is contradicted a bit by SLRE, but just musing aloud....
I think it's about money Renault want for their license.

Possibly, however it seems we're Iikely in luck based on Paul's tweet, and don't forget that they have already been in game, so they must have been *very* close to closing the deal before.

Possibly, however it seems we're Iikely in luck based on Paul's tweet, and don't forget that they have already been in game, so they must have been *very* close to closing the deal before.
hope so

only for alpine and 5turbo or more renaults???

BrySkye said:
RookieOne said:

To big rally fans, sure, but not so much to gamers. There's a reason why the 205 is the most popular one in games, even though it was the subject of the cheating that got Toyota banned.
It's the icon in spite of that.
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion about the 165 and 185 looking cooler, but I'd never agree. I think they look pretty generic in comparison. 
Sega Rally was my first experience of rally almost exactly 20 years ago. In fact, it was exactly 20 years and 4 days since I got my Sega Saturn and very soon after tried the Sega Rally playable demo and owned the full game by February.
It was the inspiration for so many games, including Colin McRae Rally, making it the de facto Celica by default to many people.
The most popular and recognisable cars aren't always the most successful.
Perhaps for old timers who now know better

But for the new ones ? I think they will recognize more the ST185

In Gran Turismo, the 185 is well known for being the only rally car with in Safari Trim.
In Forza Motorsport, it's the same thing, only car from a rallying heritage that can be modded to safari trim, is the ST185
In forza Horizon, the recommended car for Rallying from toyota is the ST185

I think that in the last few years, the ST185 has became more recognizable than we think

RookieOne said:
Perhaps for old timers who now know better

But for the new ones ? I think they will recognize more the ST185

In Gran Turismo, the 185 is well known for being the only rally car with in Safari Trim.
In Forza Motorsport, it's the same thing, only car from a rallying heritage that can be modded to safari trim, is the ST185
In forza Horizon, the recommended car for Rallying from toyota is the ST185

I think that in the last few years, the ST185 has became more recognizable than we think
Let me throw that right back at you. The 185 in Gran Turismo is still a 'standard' model, even in GT6.
It's still basically the PS2 model from GT4.
The 205 was one of the first cars to be given the premium treatment in GT5, with the full interior and all the graphical bells and whistles.
There is absolutely no doubt which car Polyphony Digital put the love into.

It's the 205 in DiRT and DiRT 3. The one in Sega Rally Revo and it's arcade reworks Sega Rally 3 and Sega Rally Arcade Online.

You're right it's the only one in Forza that can be modded into safari trim and recommended for rally trim in Horizon, but you know why?
Because the 185 wasn't included in the release version of Forza Horizon. It was part of the Rally Expansion pack.
The 205 was absent from Horizon (though has always been present in the main series) but is back in Horizon 2.

SLRE is the first time the 185 has been given proper prominence since CMR2005, so let's not pretend the 185 is suddenly the more favoured car in games.

Hate to tell you this, but the Celica ZZT231 is more recognised in gaming than the 185. That's the second most prominent Celica in the likes of GT, Forza, NFS, etc after the 205.

I think people dont have much of a preference on which celica. They just want a Celica in the game.
i prefer the 185   like said the most iconic

I've always favoured the ST185 over the ST205.
There's just something about it that always draws my attention to it somehow.
The only ST205 that I liked was this one because of the livery:

I made a model version of the one in the previous post once. Unfortunately the cleaning lady dropped it while moving stuff around. Man was I pissed! It was my first perfectly made model and you know what she said? "It's just a toy, just buy a new one." I was like WHAAAAT!?!? YOU B****!!! At least we've got a new cleaning lady who doesn't drop stuff. I would hate to see another one break into pieces after all the hard work. Also my most precious models are behind lock and key like my ST165 Snijers Edition. That thing cost me over €150 (decals, paint and all included).

lady dropped it while moving stuff around. Man was I pissed! It was my first perfectly made model and you know what she said? "It's just a toy, just buy a new one." 

There should be a 'W T F' quick reply.