DiRTy Gossip

Evilsmurf said:
"approved" does suggest a licence of some sort, with Renault being the most likely.  
Can't imagine that Paul has been dreaming for a Renault license for over 5 years, especially when DiRT 3 had a Renault in it. So no, it's by 99% not a piece of content like a track or a car, but a feature more of the ant-cheat sort that can work in all their games, regardless of their genre/content.
Dunno, dropping that kind of gossip for some anti cheat feature just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm still hoping it's the Impreza S4 WRC ;)

Paul said it had been 'approved' - I don't see surface deformation as something that has to be approved from elsewhere, more something they may have looked into and decided whether it is possible or not
yes no way the deformation road idea is being implemented would take months to make and test. too late in day for that.

dgeesi0 said:
Paul said it had been 'approved' - I don't see surface deformation as something that has to be approved from elsewhere, more something they may have looked into and decided whether it is possible or not
yes no way the deformation road idea is being implemented would take months to make and test. too late in day for that.

Unless they secretly started with it at the begininng and prepared / implement it already in DiRT Rally ;-)
Just saying O:-)

nah as there has been no mention of it on the dirt rally shows ;)

someone would of slipped a little out somewhere.

Whilst it could be a feature, I'd still think content in the form of cars, locations, liveries are still entirely possible.

Personally, if it's just some kind of advanced anti-cheat system, I think that'd be the biggest damp squib in this entire DR gossipy world. Much more so than Lee hyping up the Zero Cars for them to be 3 new DR themed liveries (nice, don't get me wrong, but not exactly worth a hype train IMO).

Some might say its more essential to the Series than any car or track though...?

But, I honestly dont think thats it

Yup, absolutely some would.

That's why I prefaced that with "Personally" and "I think". :)
I don't play the game for it's competitive multiplayer aspects, so you can see why it wouldn't be important to me.
For me, multiplayer is really still all about 3 other friends on the same sofa sharing the screen, so I have much love for the DC version of V-Rally 2 and Colin McRae Rally 04 on the Xbox.
Real life and families get in the way, but we still try to meet up every month or so for Smash Bros and Mario Kart 64.

Just reporting that I can confirm that there will be no further updates until the console release, yes not even bug-fixing. All that is being put into one big build. News from Paul himself.

See you's in April :D                                           

Again the debate on terrain deformation is about a future title not current DR.  

Nothing new till April? Well guess that axes me checking here daily.  

April is Springtime here (I hope) my Gane playing severely tapers off then.  I'll be at real rally's then ;) 

Just reporting that I can confirm that there will be no further updates until the console release, yes not even bug-fixing. All that is being put into one big build. News from Paul himself.
quite the statement without any sources.

gfRally said:

I know. It's such a big overhaul though that it would probably require an entirely new engine, or a version of EGO barely recognisable in order to get that working + have decent environment detail and stage length.
That doesn't seem to be on the cards any time soon.
Something more like DiRT Rally 3 in the distant future. Might even take the next generation of consoles to do it decently.
The core issue though is that generally speaking, terrain deformation has typically proven to be too much effort and too big a part of the processing budget to make it worthwhile. Resources are prioritised elsewhere.
I don't think that situation is going to change any time soon. 

kobeshow said:
quite the statement without any sources.
My source was a PM sent to Paul Coleman (aka KickUp), to which he responded that. Here it is:

KevM said:
See you's in April :D                                           

What makes you think I posted that as a complaint? I just posted that as information for people.

I sure hope they make an exception for fixing leagues. Kinda sucks if leagues will be broken for two months more.

Dytut said:
I sure hope they make an exception for fixing leagues. Kinda sucks if leagues will be broken for two months more.
What's up with Leagues?

We're looking at potential new functionality, but obviously very keen to fix anything that's broken.

This has been my expectation all along

Hatward said:
Dytut said:
What's up with Leagues?

We're looking at potential new functionality, but obviously very keen to fix anything that's broken.
The repair system is broken, you can only repair like 2% of the car.  Some kind of bug, it doesn't use your engineers.

There are other issue(s) also I just can't think of it right now.  @enamel help me out here

Hatward said:
Dytut said:
What's up with Leagues?

As far as I know, some options when creating a league are blocked (career engineers, use of owned cars with upgrades). Ryu Makkuro knows more about that.

@Hatward generally speaking your angular failed to create two inputs for selecting a possibility to Repair a car and Service a car (no setups too) in League Creation at DirtGame.com

Hatward said:
Dytut said:
What's up with Leagues?

No, please someone wake me up form this bad dream. As people have poninted out above already, since the introduction of new settings for leagues in 1.0 we have no longer the ability to allow tuning/career engineers in leagues, which is game breaking.

@warpengage:
Sorry to doubt you, now my hope is that his statement does indeed not include the league bugs (;

versedi said:
@Hatward generally speaking your angular failed to create two inputs for selecting a possibility to Repair a car and Service a car (no setups too) in League Creation at DirtGame.com
It's more that we can't select to opt for Career engineers and allow personal setups for the cars. We're stuck to just Crew Chief and default setups, which equals to fixing 3-4% on 2010s cars and being forced to use default setups for cars, which for some cars are just horrid beyond means.

BrySkye said:
gfRally said:

I know. It's such a big overhaul though that it would probably require an entirely new engine, or a version of EGO barely recognisable in order to get that working + have decent environment detail and stage length.
That doesn't seem to be on the cards any time soon.
Something more like DiRT Rally 3 in the distant future. Might even take the next generation of consoles to do it decently.
The core issue though is that generally speaking, terrain deformation has typically proven to be too much effort and too big a part of the processing budget to make it worthwhile. Resources are prioritised elsewhere.
I don't think that situation is going to change any time soon. 
Sorry pal, but you are repeating things which are not true.
If terrain deformation would only assure minor changes in road surface shape then:
  • no overhaul is needed
  • no changes in current engine required
  • no additional computing power needed nor more powerful gfx cards
It's possible to achieve by randomly (more or less) moving mesh points around its original position. Let's say +/- a few cm. Deformation could be calculated during loading the track which would take not longer than seconds and being transparent for the rest of the engine. It would even stay with unchanged co-driver notes.
Of course some additional changes are needed in game (not engine) infrastructure, like additional options in UI, transferring changes between player sessions (for leagues) etc. This is only rough idea, that it can be done this way. I'm not going to say CM how to do things. They are pros.

On the other hand the true is that it requires some resources for development while it's doable using current in-game tech. However I doubt CM would put any effort to expand D:R this way. It's considered finished (from publishing point of view). So no new major features expected IMO. Rather D:R2 if ever.

Back to gossip guys!
@Kickup said: "I don’t want to give too much away but I should probably clarify that it isn’t a massive feature but it is something pretty special that will add something quite poignant to DiRT Rally that has been missing from the series for a long time."

I don't know anything no more.

versedi said:
Back to gossip guys!
@Kickup said: "I don’t want to give too much away but I should probably clarify that it isn’t a massive feature but it is something pretty special that will add something quite poignant to DiRT Rally that has been missing from the series for a long time."

I don't know anything no more.
Tire choices?

(also, @Hatward , please fix the leagues ASAP!