DiRTy Gossip

Good morning 
So ken block coming to WRX, teaming up with Bakkerud
Any chance 2016 teams are going to make it ?
Or maybe DLC ?
The other bit of news Guy Martin doing a round of the
British Rallycross championship  :)

b0yc1e said:
Good morning 
Or maybe DLC ?
I've got my fingers crossed that Guy will be driving at Lydden, otherwise it's going to be a long drive to see him in action!

b0yc1e said:
Good morning 
Or maybe DLC ?
I really like Ken Block, he has done a lot of work to 'get the word out' about rally here in the states.  However, I don't expect him to do all that great in WRX.  Why?  Because every championship he has attempted to win, he has come up short.  Rally America, came down to the last round, crashed and lost.  GRC, lead the points up to second from last race, crashed and lost it.  He's smart enough to know his competition and skills to attempt a full WRC season.  

He has talent, but lacks the patience it seems to follow through.  He tries to follow the McRae "flat out" attitude, but that age has passed with the technical precision that is applied today in racing.  

So like I said, I'm a fan, but not expecting a season win in WRX.

Hey @urgaffel  ;)

It seems to be the high weather setting (which i'll mention down below too) that causes this now. 
There are two instances that happen, not noticed if it's random or not as to which one occurs, but both are on high weather setting.

1) The camera flash effect on the rain impacts - i believe they're the impacts that are meant to hit the lower portion of the screen.
2) The rain impacts, again, the ones to hit the screen/camera lens, they're static and cover most of your view, like a freeze frame of the impacts, regardless of what else is going on for the FX.
3) This happens whenever/wherever it's raining.
4) Changing to low weather removes the FX and correctly applies the low weather effects.  Setting high again brings back whichever problem you were experiencing.

What i was saying about the weather setting; Low is obviously sprites in the middle/far distance, shows sheets of rain, looks great.  High seems to remove that, and just gives the impacts on the lens/screen of the vehicle, obviously plus the regular falling rain. Personally i've questioned this from the start, it seems like the high setting should ADD to the low setting, rather than replace it, am i wrong here?  If there is a problem with the weather settings, it also might explain why there are a lot of people for whom low weather settings cause massive frame rate drop and have to set high to stop that issue.
Thanks, will bug it up.  The disparity between low quality and high quality rain is something we're aware of and it will be fixed (I hope).

BrySkye said:
Here you go, @urgaffel 
Youtube compression is a bugger, so I'd go to YT directly and put it in 1080p, full screen.
Seems to only happen in the chase cameras.
The snow particles are much denser and completely consistent on bumper, bonnet, dash and cockpit cams, so that might explain why it's not been mentioned before on here.
Such blatant favouritism by you lot, lol. :P 
This was on Monte, Pra d'Alart.
You can also see how it's ok after going around the first hairpin, but after the second, heading in the opposite direction again, it's on/off/on/off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS5oVtF49Y4&feature=youtu.be
That is bizarre, will bug it up. Thanks for the video, makes it a lot easier to show people what's going on compared to having to try and explain it in words :smiley: 

I really doubt the game will ship that much on consoles, your estimations are way too high! Most often you see with games is that on PC it either outsells the PS4 and XBOX version (not outselling both, but outselling them individually) or that it is about equal except with games that have already and established user base on console or games that are specifically marketed towards console players such as the Call of Duty series.
I would expect that it sells about ~250k copies on PS4 and ~200k copies on XBOX.

I reckon DiRT Rally will shift 1 million on PS4 :)
Not sure about that, but it should sell pretty well and I will personally buy it for a ps4 as well, just to support Codies :) And there's not much good racing titles on ps4 anyway.

it will shift more than pc on consoles but many miss what is the biggest thing about dirt rally. its brought back respect for codemasters and likeability.

gfRally said:
b0yc1e said:
Good morning 
Or maybe DLC ?
I really like Ken Block, he has done a lot of work to 'get the word out' about rally here in the states.  However, I don't expect him to do all that great in WRX.  Why?  Because every championship he has attempted to win, he has come up short.  Rally America, came down to the last round, crashed and lost.  GRC, lead the points up to second from last race, crashed and lost it.  He's smart enough to know his competition and skills to attempt a full WRC season.  

He has talent, but lacks the patience it seems to follow through.  He tries to follow the McRae "flat out" attitude, but that age has passed with the technical precision that is applied today in racing.  

So like I said, I'm a fan, but not expecting a season win in WRX.
I don't think he is going to win the World Rallycross Championship either, but he we surely be challenging for race wins: and I hope silencing a lot of his critics in Europe.

His two drives in the Championship back in 2014 seemed to surprise a lot of people, I hope a full season will bring more of the same. And hey, without the first turn lottery of the GRC to deal with, perhaps a Championship title isn't an entirely unrealistic proposition...

tbtstt said:
I don't think he is going to win the World Rallycross Championship either, but he we surely be challenging for race wins: and I hope silencing a lot of his critics in Europe.

His two drives in the Championship back in 2014 seemed to surprise a lot of people, I hope a full season will bring more of the same. And hey, without the first turn lottery of the GRC to deal with, perhaps a Championship title isn't an entirely unrealistic proposition...
Basically this. It doesn't really matter whether he will or not win the WRX Championship, but whether he can actually compete. I personally think he can, since even though there are haters of him all around I still find the fact the way he can control cars in the "Gymkhana" to be more than impressive. He just needs to put that car control into getting the cars fast around the track, not around an airfield xD

Basically this. It doesn't really matter whether he will or not win the WRX Championship, but whether he can actually compete. I personally think he can, since even though there are haters of him all around I still find the fact the way he can control cars in the "Gymkhana" to be more than impressive. He just needs to put that car control into getting the cars fast around the track, not around an airfield xD
Being someone that has no interest what so ever with Gymkhana, I still don't get why Block is hated so much. I've never seen/heard/read an interview of him where he's stated how great he is. He always comes across as an extremely humble and grateful person. And is well aware of the differences between Gymkhana and rallying. I could understand if he was some arrogant little ****, but it doesn't appear to be that way at all.

function9 said:
Being someone that has no interest what so ever with Gymkhana, I still don't get why Block is hated so much. I've never seen/heard/read an interview of him where he's stated how great he is. He always comes across as an extremely humble and grateful person. And is well aware of the differences between Gymkhana and rallying. I could understand if he was some arrogant little ****, but it doesn't appear to be that way at all.
Having worked with him he is a very strong businessman. He knows what he wants and he knows how to get it. I admire the fact that he has used his personal fortune to go rallying and that he has now turned that into a lucrative business. I get why people see him as being brash but that is very much a persona that he projects and one that seems to work when it comes to getting noticed and making money. He has acknowledged that he arrived too late to the party to compete with the best drivers in the WRC who had been driving since they were teenagers but if you compare him to a driver like Paulo Nobre who essentially used his wealth to compete on the world stage I think it is fair to say that Block was not that bad.

function9 said:
I cant speak for everyone, but my issues with him for a long time wasn't Ken himself. It was his fans treating him like he is the greatest rallydriver to ever live because of the gymkhana videoes. The GRC didn't help either who hyped him up just as much.

That faded when I saw him on his own in WRX in 2014 ironicly enough.

Ken Block is unmatched when it comes to finding new and quite innovative ways to fund his hobby, while developing and growing other business. I'm very impressed with how he's working with Ford on various projects and can see how Codemasters wanted to partner up with him commercially for the earlier DiRT games.

Some of 'Monster' and 'Hoonigan' narrative may not be exactly to my liking, but it must sell well with general public, Americans and his sponsors.

I definitely like the way in which World RX developed with Monster backing and Ken going over there for a full campaign is a no brainer. Just like @tbtstt I was pleasantly surprised with how fared against the World RX regulars and I do look forward to seeing him over a full calendar.

Having his livery officially in DiRT Rally will not make the game more like DiRT 3 was.. It will be just one of liveries.

Ken's activities exposed rally to some new fans. I definitely think WRC should go to us and make use of it.

function9 said:
I cant speak for everyone, but my issues with him for a long time wasn't Ken himself. It was his fans treating him like he is the greatest rallydriver to ever live because of the gymkhana videoes. The GRC didn't help either who hyped him up just as much.

Im pretty sure this is exactly the problem people have with "him". Not him himself, but his image as projected by the unknowingly ignorant populace, as "the best driver eva dude!"

He has probably pushed to get Ford to sponsor him in WRX.  I think the one reason is because the GRC is nothing more than a destruction derby, I watch it only for the reason that it's the only rally(?) related tv offering in the states, it just something to do.  WRX has its fender rubbing but from what I have seen it doesn't have the redneck nascar mentality of jumping out of the car to get in another drivers face because they pushed them into tires etc.  Neither  makes for good racing.  It turns into reality tv very quick.  

gfRally said:
He has probably pushed to get Ford to sponsor him in WRX.  I think the one reason is because the GRC is nothing more than a destruction derby, I watch it only for the reason that it's the only rally(?) related tv offering in the states, it just something to do.  WRX has its fender rubbing but from what I have seen it doesn't have the redneck nascar mentality of jumping out of the car to get in another drivers face because they pushed them into tires etc.  Neither  makes for good racing.  It turns into reality tv very quick.  
I think those of us familiar with the older British Rally Cross championships from back in the 80s/90s will be coughing rather awkwardly at that.

Ive always found it very arogant that they called it the GLOBAL RallyCross Championship. What is global about it?
It just enhances the stereotype for america being full of arogant, stupid people who think they are the best and/or only thing going on in the world.
Which is sad when there are plenty of absolutely great people from america, but they're just represented so appalingly.

austinb said:
function9 said:

Im pretty sure this is exactly the problem people have with "him". Not him himself, but his image as projected by the unknowingly ignorant populace, as "the best driver eva dude!"
Fully agree with you both; I'm sure it's a comment I've made here before, but I think the PR machine behind Block is, in my opinion, both his biggest strength and greatest weakness. 

The fact he has got his name out there (and he PR team have convinced a large proportion of the populace that he is a "driving god") has greatly helped to fund his rally hobby but, as a consequence, it has also alienated him from a lot of established rally fans. 

I still think the best thing (PR wise) Block has done was the interview with Drive a couple of years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg2c7Pp7H0Q

...I have changed a few peoples opinion on Block by showing them this clip!

BrySkye said:
gfRally said:
I think those of us familiar with the older British Rally Cross championships from back in the 80s/90s will be coughing rather awkwardly at that.
I'll just leave this here (Skip to about 6:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE86m34CiS4

BrySkye said:
gfRally said:
Yeah, paint trading in rallycross is nothing new, as @KingOfCoins European Rallycross clip...
BrySkye said:
gfRally said:
I'll just leave this here (Skip to about 6:00)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE86m34CiS4

...neatly demonstrates. Having said that I would still agree with @gfRally that there is a difference between the hard racing of 80's/90's rallycross and the mindless track-induced carnage of the GRC.

I can't reiterate how glad I am that Codemasters favoured the mature World Rallycross Championship over the showy Global Rallycross Championship for DiRT Rally.
austinb said:
Ive always found it very arogant that they called it the GLOBAL RallyCross Championship. What is global about it?
It just enhances the stereotype for america being full of arogant, stupid people who think they are the best and/or only thing going on in the world.
Which is sad when there are plenty of absolutely great people from america, but they're just represented so appalingly.
In defense of the GRC it was "Global" for a year (2013) when X-Games held several international events and GRC rounds were a part of it. It has subsequently only ventured as far as Barbados though, which does make the "Global" title a little difficult to justify. I must confess I quite enjoyed it in the start, but this continued insistence on 10 car grids, poor track design and some stupid rule-making decisions have put me off.

I'm actually curious to know how the departure of Block has gone done with the powers-that-be in the GRC: he was one of the most iconic drivers of the series and one of the few consistent entrants since day one. 

The GRC is only slightly less "Global" than the "World" Rallycross championship that has only 2 rounds outside of Europe, or the "World" Rally Championship with it's whopping 3 non-European rounds in 2015. :smile: 

Yeah but world rallycross goes to 12 different countries across two continents, whereas GRC goes to two countries across two continents. (I know America is a big country, but it still only counts as 1!)