DiRTy Gossip

I'm going to sum up my thoughts about the upcoming announcement in pictures

New liveries:

Rallycross tracks:

Another Quattro S1 E2 22B 4C 123:

A slightly different Subaru to what we already have:

New UI

Rally school (who the hell needs it here?!)

Revamped TV style replay system:

NEW COUNTRIES AND STAGES:

It was just supposed to be a funny post, but deep down I think we all feel that way.  Couple new cars, cool, but we already have a great selection of iconic rally cars past and present.  Gravel Pikes Peak, also cool, but it will get old just as fast as the desolate  PP we have now.   It's a good selling point but after you run it a couple dozen times the novelty wears off.

The fact of the matter is, the longevity of a rally game/sim is great stages, and a lot of them.  I know making stages to the quality which we have has never been done before, and I know it's expensive and time consuming.  But, I think DR has been a success and I think that 90% of the user base would have no problem paying for new stages, whether that be additions to current countries or new countries being added.  If it was too hard/expensive to go to New Zealand or Australia stuff like that, I would gladly pay for new Welsh stages, German vineyards, more Monte or Finnish stages...you get the point.  New cars are fun yes, but when you run the same stage 300 million times over it will get old. 

This seems like a rant, it is and isn't.  I have 250 hours almost clocked why I am so desperate for new stages.  The groundwork is there, great cars, graphics, sounds and physics (well tarmac needs work), but desperately need more content.  I love having 6-7 min stages, but when you only get 2 per country then it's split up and reversed a bunch of times it starts to get old.

I have definitely got my moneys worth out of Dirt Rally, it got me back into sim racing after quitting never thinking there would be a successor to RBR and growing tired of circuit racing.  Why I am so ready for DLC, I say bring it on and I'm usually against DLC.  Dirt Rally really needs it though.

gfRally said:
Another Mitsubishi would be nice, but I would only accept the 2005 model with the storage [EDIT: STRANGE] wing setup.  I know newer ones had some legendary drivers but I like to see different cars that are not normally in rally games, like the Saab but both might be a pipe dream 

I think I bothered @kickup a littttleeee bit to much with it the last 5 years xD
So I think we can rule out this amazing car. Sadly, would have love seeing that car in DiRT rally with the italian flag and Gigi(gigidididi **) Galli name on the rear windows

** Family guy reference Quagmire

id be pretty happy with an extra rallycross stage, gravel pikes peak and a new rally location, maybe Spain or Sardinia

Most of us (here) have had this game for almost for a year now.  For console guys its brand new.  SO we'll just have to be patient, I guess.  If by the end of May we don't hear anything about a DLC then its best to figure the team has moved on to the next game.  Hopefully resources go to the next rally game and some don't get pulled over to the next GRID.  Maybe by the end of 2017 well start getting hints of the next title.  

Just replied @austinb: sorry, I might have waffled on a bit. :smiley: 

I still hope because of the success they rethink/reconsider DLC. A couple/few more years of maybe quarterly DLC releases with some fixes/tweaks along the way (like a new physics revision). From a lowly player's perspective a couple "issues" that come to mind with the current engine are: stage lengths and replay system.

Would moving onto a new DR title with a new[er] engine guarantee they would change the current replay system and give us a proper one with small demo/replay files that can be saved and viewed at any time? Would it guarantee full stages like Ouninpohja in it's entirety be in the game, and even if they had the ability would they do it? If the answer to those questions is "abso-friggin-lutely!" Then sweet, a new title and engine it is. But, if it's "a possibility", or "maybe", or "we're not 100% sure", then please, please stick to the current game and add more content/features to it.

i think dlc will come just not sure how. i think we may get it free console pays who knows.

i would happily pay for a replay cam system with free cam.
i would pay for new locations (aslong as not gymkana :D)

no i dont want ken block :p

I stilll want a Reliant Robin Rally Edition, and some other gimmicky rally cars in this game. Maybe as bonus cars when you upgrade all cars in a certain era or drive-train. 
Have to say, with the attention to detail that we've seen throughout DiRT Rally thus far, the last thing I would like to see at this stage is gimmicks...

...just my opinion though: the rest of you may feel differently! :smiley: 

I'd be surprised if there would be a new rally location added when the game comes out on console and when the PC version gets updated.  My rating of probability: 5%

Perhaps a new stage at one of the existing locations? A bit more probable, but would there be enough time to produce in time for submission to MS and Sony? My rating of probability: 20%

You're welcome :P :D

It seems that with the consoles the team couldn't go bonkers as they did with the Steam Early Access announcement.
Here's DiRT Rally. It's out now

I'm secretly hoping that they have redone the Norwegian stage from dirt 3 to fit dirt rally. After all, that location was pretty much the Lillehammer special stage from Rally Norway in 2009 

Gimmicks you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjb0EjUZHLw

Gimmicks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRCj8fltijg

I think Codemasters have been there before :smiley: 

function9 said:
I still hope because of the success they rethink/reconsider DLC. A couple/few more years of maybe quarterly DLC releases with some fixes/tweaks along the way (like a new physics revision). From a lowly player's perspective a couple "issues" that come to mind with the current engine are: stage lengths and replay system.

Would moving onto a new DR title with a new[er] engine guarantee they would change the current replay system and give us a proper one with small demo/replay files that can be saved and viewed at any time? Would it guarantee full stages like Ouninpohja in it's entirety be in the game, and even if they had the ability would they do it? If the answer to those questions is "abso-friggin-lutely!" Then sweet, a new title and engine it is. But, if it's "a possibility", or "maybe", or "we're not 100% sure", then please, please stick to the current game and add more content/features to it.

Personally I doubt stages as long as Ouninpohja in the current quality we have will be around for a long time yet, theres just so much in a stage that length. When you consider how much circuit games struggle with making the Nordschleife, and then compare the lengths, Ouninpohja becomes one huge task to get into a game at the current quality.
Bear in mind that the stage lengths we have already are a huge improvment on most games of recent years. 

It's been said loads, but it's worth repeating a lot of peoples' wishes for 'entry level' rally cars in the game; it would be amazing to rag them round the stages. 

I think it would be a massive, massive shame for the guys and girls not to build on the game we have already been given with the implementation of significant DLC packs. The foundation is set to have even more of an incredible game with incredible longevity.

It's ultimately down to their own ambitions, and what they have planned for their own careers post console release, but this game could be untouchable for x amount of years to come.   

There have been long rally stages before... step forward Pundershaw stage...

Network Q RAC Rally Championship (part of it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icykTeyBiI

Mobil 1 Rally Championship 2000:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9VkfsuYfyI

It's been said loads, but it's worth repeating a lot of peoples' wishes for 'entry level' rally cars in the game; it would be amazing to rag them round the stages. 

I think it would be a massive, massive shame for the guys and girls not to build on the game we have already been given with the implementation of significant DLC packs. The foundation is set to have even more of an incredible game with incredible longevity.

It's ultimately down to their own ambitions, and what they have planned for their own careers post console release, but this game could be untouchable for x amount of years to come.   
  the only problem is the word you mentioned " Longevity " .

thats a game companies nightmare. they want you to play and buy the game but not have enough depth to keep you going long after the new release comes out. if it is that good and still fun to play many might pass up the new offering.

for us gamers we want it all in one package.

the thing is games with all content in one pack can work and can sell aswell as three or four games if done well. cod 4 aka modern warfare for eg.

i would love for content keep being added to this game. really is the best rally game i played.

My old laptop could manage the full RSRBR Ouninpohja stage.  I know its not groundbreaking visually, but its an absolutely awesome stage to drive!  I don't care how off a tree looks, when I am jumping past it sideways at 125mph :p

KevM said:
My old laptop could manage the full RSRBR Ouninpohja stage.  I know its not groundbreaking visually, but its an absolutely awesome stage to drive!  I don't care how off a tree looks, when I am jumping past it sideways at 125mph :p
I don't really care how a tree looks at 200km/h+ as well, but I do prefer to be going at that speed through something that looks and feels like an actual forest, rather than a set full of cardboard like trees :p And that's exactly where more realistic graphics come in. Small details make the whole experience just that much better.

And eventually you will find yourself in one of those trees, going 0mph. And at that point you will feel a lot better knowing that you lost to what looks like a huge solid pine tree, as opposed to letting some flat tree coloured piece of cardboard ruin your day :) 

Yep, its small details.  You'd think with the shift in hardware power. a bit more tree and surface detail with optimisation, the full stage should play silky enough?  

RBR just tree'd out the stage edges, rather than creating an entire environment with the road through it.

What I did like about the RBR stage, was the jumps aren't exaggerated, they gently unsettle the car rather than launch it and the road is narrower.  It does look quite SLRE though (without the frame drops) :p

I stilll want a Reliant Robin Rally Edition, and some other gimmicky rally cars in this game. Maybe as bonus cars when you upgrade all cars in a certain era or drive-train. 
What about a tank like CMR3?

Yeap, for more and more content turn your heads towards modded RBR. No money involved = happy rally geeks :)