DiRTy Gossip

Simply that developing high quality AI or scheduling multiplayer events with sensible driver groupings to enable a log in and race capability aligned with decent netcode so drivers can race wheel to wheel is far from trivial. I have yet to try PvP so it may have addressed those points but there are race sims that have been in development for years that still have poor AI and laggy multiplayer.
First, AI in multiplayer mode?
Who said anything about AI in multiplayer mode? I said AI OR multiplayer meaning that opponents are either computer generated or humans who need to be scheduled and grouped somehow. Both of which seem challenging for race sims.

Quick hint sheet for Gossipers

1, Is it DiRT Rally related gossip? Yes. stay here.

2, Is your post fact and opinion? Yes?  See 3.

3, Has @KickUp verified your 'fact'? Yes, congratulations, you posted a fact. No? It's an opinion

4 Is it about the Subaraudi S1 E22B?? This is now the thread for it http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/39546/quattro-s1-e2#latest

5 Has your post degenerated into a 2 man conversation between you and 1 other person, trading opinions back and forth with no one else contributing to your conversation? Oh no, it became a discussion. Get it out of the Gossip thread, it doesn't belong here.

KevM said:
https://twitter.com/kick_up/status/692063565650489344
How did you embedd a tweeet, huh? Or is it my new FF finally rendering them? ^^

I always just copy a direct link to here, always shows.  I dunno what FF even is :p

KevM said:
I always just copy a direct link to here, always shows.  I dunno what FF even is :p
I assume they mean FireFox. Using Google Chrome myself, those links always parse into nice actual tweets after I reload the page.

Yeah, Chrome does its thing here too!                  

Now, if only we could embed them more often...  @KickUp ....  :D              

Yeah, we mean Firefox. I've never been able to link tweets using it, couldn't even see tweet links on here with FF until recently. Had to cut n paste the link to see what the gossip was.

function9 said:
SLRE is a bad example, the quality of just about every aspect of that game is suspect. So the caliber of stages fits in well with the rest of the game. But, to say there's no middle ground between the SLRE stages and what's in DR is a bit crazy. It's like the people that think the current damage system is good because there's no way to implement proper soft body physics like in BeamNG. Either an all or nothing view, and I don't think that's right. If they were doing exact recreations of the stages, that might be one thing, but they're not. We can see that with Finland. So no, for me, I don't care if they don't get every single, tiny change in road camber correct or even included if it means more unique km. And again, I'd find it hard to believe the only way to achieve that is going to a SLRE level of detail (with the current team/budget).
I'm not saying there is no middle ground.
But that's by it's very definition a compromise.
The stages are not perfectly accurate as they are and that would obviously have to get worse to some degree.
As soon as you start saying words like compromise, middle-ground, well, those are dirty words for many and enthusiasm often drops.

They can do more mileage with the current methods, they just need more budget.
Are you forgetting that DiRT Rally was made on a shoe-string budget compared to earlier DiRT games?

Where we have the potential impasse is on a sequel.

It would seem to make sense to keep all of the current stages (with a few updates/tweaks) and add to them.
With a bigger budget, we could theoretically double the environments while adding an entirely new stage or two to each current environment.
But that is rarely how it goes for racing games, especially Rally ones.
There is always this push towards 100% new stages, both because there is so much to choose from and because recycling them is typically frowned upon amongst the average gamer and journalist.
I don't think DiRT Rally has a large enough dedicated audience to live on the FIFA mindset of buying each new game every year.
Certainly this seems to be a big problem for Codies F1 series.

This is kind of the argument why, perhaps, DiRT Rally may have had more growth potential as a platform, rather than a game series.

BrySkye said:
There is always this push towards 100% new stages, both because there is so much to choose from and because recycling them is typically frowned upon amongst the average gamer and journalist.
I think this wouldn't be an issue, if the amount of new stages would be bigger than the amount of recycled ones. Especially if the recycled ones have been actually updated/improved in a way that can be seen, rather than "believed".

Of course that means a huge amount of resources to pull something like that. Still, I believe it is worth the hassle, especially if you can potentially double the amount of content on the release.

BrySkye said:
I think this wouldn't be an issue, if the amount of new stages would be bigger than the amount of recycled ones. Especially if the recycled ones have been actually updated/improved in a way that can be seen, rather than "believed".

Of course that means a huge amount of resources to pull something like that. Still, I believe it is worth the hassle, especially if you can potentially double the amount of content on the release.
If it was 100% new, I don't think it would be double what we have now. 
Well, not in terms of environments. Maybe with stages within those environments.
It's still a lot to discard though. Generally revising old content is less intensive than all-new stuff.
By which I mean, would it be worth sacrificing the 6 environments and all their stages we have now just to get one new environment?

This is again a problem specific to rally games. Circuit racing games can just constantly build upon the same list of tracks, because people dont "get bored" of them, because if you did get bored of tracks then you wouldnt like circuit racing full stop because its constant repetition. Where as rally games are are expected to have new stages to keep them fresh. personally im happy to have old stages aswell provided there are an equal number of new stages 

BrySkye said:
function9 said:
SLRE is a bad example, the quality of just about every aspect of that game is suspect. So the caliber of stages fits in well with the rest of the game. But, to say there's no middle ground between the SLRE stages and what's in DR is a bit crazy. It's like the people that think the current damage system is good because there's no way to implement proper soft body physics like in BeamNG. Either an all or nothing view, and I don't think that's right. If they were doing exact recreations of the stages, that might be one thing, but they're not. We can see that with Finland. So no, for me, I don't care if they don't get every single, tiny change in road camber correct or even included if it means more unique km. And again, I'd find it hard to believe the only way to achieve that is going to a SLRE level of detail (with the current team/budget).
I'm not saying there is no middle ground.
But that's by it's very definition a compromise.
The stages are not perfectly accurate as they are and that would obviously have to get worse to some degree.
As soon as you start saying words like compromise, middle-ground, well, those are dirty words for many and enthusiasm often drops.

They can do more mileage with the current methods, they just need more budget.
Are you forgetting that DiRT Rally was made on a shoe-string budget compared to earlier DiRT games?

Where we have the potential impasse is on a sequel.

It would seem to make sense to keep all of the current stages (with a few updates/tweaks) and add to them.
With a bigger budget, we could theoretically double the environments while adding an entirely new stage or two to each current environment.
But that is rarely how it goes for racing games, especially Rally ones.
I don't think DiRT Rally has a large enough dedicated audience to live on the FIFA mindset of buying each new game every year.
Certainly this seems to be a big problem for Codies F1 series.

This is kind of the argument why, perhaps, DiRT Rally may have had more growth potential as a platform, rather than a game series.
As per @SkiddyMcCrash request, maybe move this to its own thread, I will contribute there.  I find the subject interesting, but its not gossip, more of wishlist discussion.

I think one way to reuse the stages is to give them a new twist. Like putting snow in finland, a summer monte or Wales in spring. The roads would be the same but the environment would be different enough for people to not get bored.

If we're going to impose restrictions that tight on the gossip thread, including any discussion related to the current and future development of the game (which heaven knows has revealed lots of info over the course of time) then I'm pretty much out of here anyway.
Personally, I would suggest that a draught is not the best time to decide you only want to drink the purest water thawed from 10,000 year old ice caps.

Has it been discussed in this thread the possibility of renewing locations from CMR series?

Let's talk about the plants that existed during the ice age and their impacts on rally back then. 

Darhour said:
Let's talk about the plants that existed during the ice age and their impacts on rally back then. 
Pre-historic plants have had a huge impact on the sport. Without them there would be no rally, or it would look vastly different than it does today. This is due to pre-historic plants are now oil that is refined to power rally cars.

I hear the next dirt title will have an advanced oil drilling and refinery simulation.