DiRTy Gossip

Well they managed to be 2nd in 85 championship with it, beating Ari Vatanen in 205. And in 86, they quit after Portugal, which was 3rd event of the calendar, while finishing 3rd in Monte Carlo just 7 seconds behind the winning S4. So I would say it was as competitive, just they quit early.

So if the Quattro E2 would join the Group B after all, we would have a very nice situation in Group B. 3 cars on each side of the performance range. The one in-game right now is the S1 after all ;)
Think they were 7 minutes behind the lead S4 in Monte Carlo '86, weren't they?

Yeah, Blomqvist was second in '85 (and Rohrl third), but Vatanen missed the last four rounds and Salonen ran away with the Championship in the Pug. The 205 T16 won 7 of 12 rallies in '85: the Sport Quattro only took one! (and I think that was an S1, not an E2?)

Job3k said:
Some new pics : http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/02/02/dirt-rally-on-ps4-10-things-you-probably-didnt-know/

Well that confirms Minicross: excellent! And...

There are more photos here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/24631174316/in/photostream/

Another version of page: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/02/02/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-dirt-rally-coming-soon-to-ps4/

Trailer:
https://youtu.be/OaviqX57okE

AWWW YEAH!

I wonder when the press embargo finally ends? Must be soon, maybe today or tomorrow
Christina has just posted a list and confirmation of whats in!

Another version of page: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/02/02/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-dirt-rally-coming-soon-to-ps4/

https://youtu.be/OaviqX57okE

AWWW YEAH!
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

tbtstt said:
Dique said:
tbtstt said:
So right now you have lower Group B (Metro, Quattro, RS200) and higher Group B (S4 and 205).
So pretty much exactly like the rallies of the era then! 
not exactly, there should be an audi in the higher group.
Perhaps (and it's a slightly off topic discussion) but the Quattro E2 was never as competitive as the Delta S4 or Pug 205.
Well they managed to be 2nd in 85 championship with it, beating Ari Vatanen in 205. And in 86, they quit after Portugal, which was 3rd event of the calendar, while finishing 3rd in Monte Carlo just 7 seconds behind the winning S4. So I would say it was as competitive, just they quit early.

So if the Quattro E2 would join the Group B after all, we would have a very nice situation in Group B. 3 cars on each side of the performance range. The one in-game right now is the S1 after all ;)
you do know that audi pulled out of the 86 championship after portugal (portugal being event no.3 on the calendar) because of the horrendous accidents?
By the end of 85 the audis (the e2) were actually on par with the 205e2.
The Delta S4, the Audi E2 and the 205 E2 were pretty much on the same level. They all had certain situations in which they where unbeatable.

EDIT: accidently quoted the wrong post, sorry guys ;)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-02-whats-different-about-dirt-rally-on-console-thankfully-not-much
I am excited but kind of sad to be true. If finally we don't get any more rally stages or countries or any RX Circuit, it will be always the big con of DR. Everyone almost agrees about that, more now that SLRE is out with so much content. I don't ask for anything crazy, only one or two more RX tracks, and at least a couple of new countries (even CMR1 and 2 had 8 different countries). I'm not asking for Safari or real time surface changes neither. Is impossible with this engine to do a Tour de Corse or Australia? I don't think so. But the most disheartening is reading this is probably an exception, so forget about Dirt Rally 2. Too hardcore and niche to even think about it...

Reading the Eurogamer article was interesting to say the least...

I had hopes for new rally stages or locations, but at the back of my mind I knew that their development would have had to have started a while back.

On one hand it's good to have it bluntly stated that no DLC is coming... A bit of a shame, because the wait for DiRT Rally was long and the thought of waiting longer for more of the DR awesomeness is a bit sad.

I have to admit I'm a bit worried about the suggestions in the article that Codemasters are now moving on to DiRT 4....

Would they really abandon the vision of DiRT Rally? Can't they really see how it's been received so far? Maybe they need to see how it does sales-wise on consoles.

'While I think it's vitally important that we did what we did with Dirt Rally directly to the core audience first, what I want to do now is take people who are excited by seeing Dirt Rally but a little bit put off by what it means to play it, take them by the hand and lead them into the experience. I'm not talking about dumbing down. I'm talking about taking novice players and making them confident and capable.'

The above is quite cryptic and I honestly don't know what to expect. This just proves I wouldn't make a good games designer :)

'a little bit put off by what it means to play it' - Hmmm?

I'll have to think this over :)

Underkex said:
Too hardcore and niche to even think about it...
That's what the bean counters said about DiRT Rally when we first asked for it ;)
And that's why a question about DR2 is more likely the kind of "when?" rather than "if?" ;)
tbtstt said:
Think they were 7 minutes behind the lead S4 in Monte Carlo '86, weren't they?

Yeah, Blomqvist was second in '85 (and Rohrl third), but Vatanen missed the last four rounds and Salonen ran away with the Championship in the Pug. The 205 T16 won 7 of 12 rallies in '85: the Sport Quattro only took one! (and I think that was an S1, not an E2?)
Ah yes, true, stupid me. I mistook the seconds for the "hundreds of the seconds". Too used to DR timing xD Then again, when you look at the rally results of that time, 7 minutes doesn't look like that much.

The E2 jumped in at least from the Finland in 85. Moreover, the first E2 had a lot less BHP than the final ones (ranging from slightly over 500BHP to nearly 600BHP). Besides, the approach of finish high, even if you don't win can often result in actually winning the championships. It would be interesting to see how the championship would have went if Audi didn't quit. Well, no point crying over spilt milk at this point.

Would they really abandon the vision of DiRT Rally? Can't they really see how it's been received so far? Maybe they need to see how it does sales-wise on consoles.
I think before jumping to conclusions, we need to wait and see the reaction of the console crowd first

Didzis said:
I think before jumping to conclusions, we need to wait and see the reaction of the console crowd first
I thought like that but as @MastaVonBlasta says: if they have nothing right now in progress and they are waiting until they can see how the console works that means we will never have any new country or stages. We have to be realistic, if they don't start it until May or June, when will they realise it? My only hopes are now in Dirt Rally 2.

This is one thing from the eurogamer article that puzzles me.

"There's a bunch of stuff they've been asking us to do that's beyond the capabilities of the engine as it stands, and one of those things is a much broader selection of tracks."

Sure, longer stages might be beyond the engine capabilities, but not adding more locations per se.

You don't have to bet on anything: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/39596/dirt-rally-update-version-1-03
BrySkye said:
I mean, just look at what's in Group B. The Peugeot 205 E2 is pretty much in a league of it's own, especially compared to the Quattro.
Since V2, Delta S4 is competitive with that French abomination. At least Porky says so and I can believe that after few rounds on Monte Carlo and Germany (I suck on gravel/snow, so can't say how it looks there).
So right now you have lower Group B (Metro, Quattro, RS200) and higher Group B (S4 and 205).
the lancia is deffo better since v2. its easier to drive than the pug also. so with it being just about as fast as the pug 205 and that people can post quicker times sometimes.

pug if driven well is still better overall.very small gap though.

I have to admit I'm a bit worried about the suggestions in the article that Codemasters are now moving on to DiRT 4....

'While I think it's vitally important that we did what we did with Dirt Rally directly to the core audience first, what I want to do now is take people who are excited by seeing Dirt Rally but a little bit put off by what it means to play it, take them by the hand and lead them into the experience. I'm not talking about dumbing down. I'm talking about taking novice players and making them confident and capable.'

The above is quite cryptic and I honestly don't what to expect.
I think the whole article is pointing towards the possiblility of 2 seperate DiRT games. DiRT Rally 2 and DiRT:4. With DiRT:4 being used to teach newcomers the skills required for DiRT Rally.

At this stage I'm not too worried. The fact that they are bringing DR to console and, as that preview says "it's pretty much identical to the PC version" makes me think that they haven't abandoned the original vision. 

I would agree with you that the reception for (and success of) the game on console will likely dictate the future of DiRT. I hope that the wider console audience are as receptive to this game as we, the dedicated rally fans, are.

Seeing the first PS4 footage I absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on this. COME ON APRIL, HURRY UP AND GET HERE.

With the new content having the Rallycross S1600 class in it, I wonder if they would consider the S1600 class for rallying.
The Clio and Corsa in rally and rally cross spec look and drive similarly, have the same amount of BHP (230 BHP), etc. etc.

I wonder, I wonder...
I wouldn't mind hearing more of those lovely screeching engines whilst driving stages or watching a replay!

Its not possible to make a any car any track mod for dirt rally like in dirt 3?

SkyRex said:
By the way , could the 208PP be 'That other car' ??
Not based on what was said about it, no. 
It is a fairly recent development for the 208 PP to come into fruition, probably only since confirmation for the console release was given.
Just months ago it wasn't happening.
#ThisCar has always been on the cards, with confidence, since early May.

BrySkye said:
#ThisCar has always been on the cards, with confidence, since early May.
And it's a car that is more challenging to drive than the Quattro. #ThisCar is definitely a mystery, for sure.

The above is quite cryptic and I honestly don't know what to expect. This just proves I wouldn't make a good games designer :)

'a little bit put off by what it means to play it' - Hmmm?

I'll have to think this over :)
Well my guess of course is as good as anyone's, but I believe that there will be more hand-holding, more assists&aids and more guidance throughout a improved career mode, maybe even a rally-school. Right now playing DRally means getting thrown onto a stage in a car, and you have to figure out the rest for yourself (more or less), so from a game-design perspective, that is less than ideal. Game designers (or at least the ones that aim for commercial success) want to appeal to as many people as possible, but that doesn't help rally enthusiasts in the slightest.
I think that everyone who hoped for more hardcore stuff will get a bit disappointed by the next game. I was mentally ready for no DLC, at least I thought I was, but after reading the article myself I feel that CM have taken 2 steps forward with DRally, and now they'll take one step back (exhibit A: rally enthusiasts are not exactly crazy about RX and PP additions, which were not pre-planned like most of early access).
This might all sound very pessimistic, but I am more than happy with what I got out of DRally, I am just not as excited for the future anymore.