DiRTy Gossip

bogani said:
At least the console crowd will make due without all cheaters the PC master race brings ;)
^^^  Exactly this...  ^^^  

& I might start a G29/G920/G-I-dont-give-a-F**K thread  :p

Nothing will end the gossip thread. Here, I'll make it continue for a bit.

Why are there no toyotas or a Citroen ds3 wrc in the game? And where is the Subaru 22b WRC and the Quattro S1 E2?
Don't forget gymkhana and Christian Stephenson. When is DiRT Rally going to tell me that I'm totally rad and should put my replay on Yew Tube dude?

saving replays?
Historically, cross-play, AND cross times have been discouraged or even denied by the console manufacturers :(
AFAIK, pCars joined results from PC and consoles under single leaderboards. Also mixed multiplayer is allowed. AFAIK

tbtstt said:

Why are there no toyotas or a Citroen ds3 wrc in the game? And where is the Subaru 22b WRC and the Quattro S1 E2?
Don't forget gymkhana and Christian Stephenson. When is DiRT Rally going to tell me that I'm totally rad and should put my replay on Yew Tube dude?
DR does tell you that, on the loading ticker, though it's obviously an inside joke, i'm not sure newcomers would get it.

Historically, cross-play, AND cross times have been discouraged or even denied by the console manufacturers :(
Well, say that to Rocket League.
bogani said:
At least the console crowd will make due without all cheaters the PC master race brings ;)
I wouldn't say it's the PC master race that brings in the cheaters. Cheaters are on both sides, just that cheating on a console is far more complicated, most of the time impossible. Main part of the cheating community is made out of people who don't want to spend money on games (thus Free2Play games are swarmed with cheaters). Those same people usually have a crappy laptop because they mainly play games on... a console.
Of course that doesn't mean that those that have money and good PCs don't cheat. They do, it's just that they aren't the majority of cheating population. And most important thing is... cheaters are everywhere. One way or another, a cheater will always find a way to cheat if he really wants to.

I did say, historically, things, at least in limiting situations, syluch as simpler to control games, have opened that up some.

tbtstt said:

We have a loading screen tip that says it ;-)

KickUp said:
tbtstt said:

I always forgot to mention this. You should have a loading screen tip that appears only after the "We really mean it... don't cut." that goes like this: "No, seriously, just don't cut." :D 

KickUp said:
tbtstt said:

I always forgot to mention this. You should have a loading screen tip that appears only after the "We really mean it... don't cut." that goes like this: "No, seriously, just don't cut." :D 

The first one says "Don't Cut"
The second one actually says "No, seriously. Don't Cut."
So they kinda already do.
It'd be overkill for the joke, but the only other thing to really add is if you cut and have a terminal crash, it'd say "I told you not to cut. Paul Smash. Your head. With the windscreen."

BrySkye said:
KickUp said:
tbtstt said:

The first one says "Don't Cut"
The second one actually says "No, seriously. Don't Cut."
Welp, I mixed them up xD

Sort of surprised that the leagues will be segregated, figured the RaceNet would be used to combine them. But then again, MS is notorious for not letting devs use third party services from within Xbox games.

I still cant work out why people who already play Dirt Rally on PC are THAT excited about a console version. What am I missing here? 

Other than it perhaps making it easier to play it in your lounge room I dont see what the big deal is. Dont get me wrong I think its great its coming to console and that more people in the world will be rallying, as they all should :smile: 

Rygar86 said:
I still cant work out why people who already play Dirt Rally on PC are THAT excited about a console version. What am I missing here? 

Other than it perhaps making it easier to play it in your lounge room I dont see what the big deal is. Dont get me wrong I think its great its coming to console and that more people in world will be rallying, as they all should :smile: 
I think most of those people are just excited about the new content coming to the PC version when the console one is released?
There's also a few people here cant play the PC version, like @tbtstt , who have been waiting a long time.
Some people can't play DR at 60fps on their PCs, but already own a XB1/PS4, so it's a way for them to do that without an expensive upgrade.
And some just want a physical version. Being on the community test team, I intend to get the steelbook version (if it still actually happens) and leave it sealed as a memento to myself of something I was involved in.

Rygar86 said:

Other than it perhaps making it easier to play it in your lounge room I dont see what the big deal is. Dont get me wrong I think its great its coming to console and that more people in world will be rallying, as they all should :smile: 

The game runs great for me on PC, but I'm still going to pick it up for my ps4 as I will have even more people to race! that and my G29 is sitting unloved at the moment and could use a run out on the ps4 :D

Rygar86 said:

More platforms = more sales = more rally!

d1ea said:
Will consoles btw have the same leaderboards as PC? and dailys?
They won't have the same leaderboards (check Pauls twitter). I'm not sure about the dailies though, my guess is that they will be the same.

I play on my standard laptop at minimum graphics settings. I haven't played since around the time console was announced, so I can't wait to pick it up for my Xbox!

tbtstt said:

DR does tell you that, on the loading ticker, though it's obviously an inside joke, i'm not sure newcomers would get it.
KickUp said:
tbtstt said:

Haha! Forgive me, I didn't know it was already in! Nice touch @KickUp , just don't let Christian near a microphone again...
BrySkye said:

There's also a few people here cant play the PC version, like @tbtstt , who have been waiting a long time.
Don't know what you mean. I've just been sitting here, relaxing and waiting for the console release...

Rygar86 said:

Other than it perhaps making it easier to play it in your lounge room I dont see what the big deal is. Dont get me wrong I think its great its coming to console and that more people in the world will be rallying, as they all should :smile: 
I have a fairly borderline PC, the game runs fine on a smaller monitor, but is right on the edge when it comes to a 1080p screen.  I could either upgrade the PC or just take the easy option and buy a PS4 and wheel for a similar cost.  The attraction of console for me is, the integrity of the competition, because competition is what the game revolves around!

yes the two main floors with this game is

1. no real mp. mp rallying would of made this such a legendary game. it is needed in a day and age when mp is basically gaming.

2. cheating ! cheating for me destroys alot of fun for me in this game. some are blatant still at top after along while. i dont find that acceptable.
some are less obvious but do cheat and its not hard to work out who. now...what kinda grinds me is how deep are codemasters going to focus on stopping the cheats. if im honest (and dont take this wrong i love you guys this is the best rally game ever !) cheating never really gets solved or cutting in any of the dirt games i ever played.

i would love to say differently but it has never been solved.same hacks cheats are based off old tech from earlier dirt games.like dirt 3.

feel sorry for hatward as it seems he is maybe on his own juggling trying to sort cheats out and kinda losing. many top 5 now on many tracks are from cheats. some been there for month two months. in a new game not really acceptable.

most here who are fast and legit know the times possible. rally driver or not. if one of us do a perfect lap run. no one is 20 secs quicker ! no one not the stig not f1 champion. no one.

now as this game gets on a little and if you look at it its not really fully out yet ! this needs to be stopped ! more effort into stopping cheats and analyzing them. in 6 months time or a year it will be pointless playing if competing for times as it will just be a wall of cheats !

so please. get some more staff people on it. do something about this please.hatward cant cope with it sorry. for saying that but its there in black and white in the time tables.

dgeesi0 said:
yes the two main floors with this game is

1. no real mp. mp rallying would of made this such a legendary game. it is needed in a day and age when mp is basically gaming.

2. cheating ! cheating for me destroys alot of fun for me in this game. some are blatant still at top after along while. i dont find that acceptable.
some are less obvious but do cheat and its not hard to work out who. now...what kinda grinds me is how deep are codemasters going to focus on stopping the cheats. if im honest (and dont take this wrong i love you guys this is the best rally game ever !) cheating never really gets solved or cutting in any of the dirt games i ever played.

i would love to say differently but it has never been solved.same hacks cheats are based off old tech from earlier dirt games.like dirt 3.

feel sorry for hatward as it seems he is maybe on his own juggling trying to sort cheats out and kinda losing. many top 5 now on many tracks are from cheats. some been there for month two months. in a new game not really acceptable.

most here who are fast and legit know the times possible. rally driver or not. if one of us do a perfect lap run. no one is 20 secs quicker ! no one not the stig not f1 champion. no one.

now as this game gets on a little and if you look at it its not really fully out yet ! this needs to be stopped ! more effort into stopping cheats and analyzing them. in 6 months time or a year it will be pointless playing if competing for times as it will just be a wall of cheats !

so please. get some more staff people on it. do something about this please.hatward cant cope with it sorry. for saying that but its there in black and white in the time tables.
Don't feel too bad - we're wiping times from leaderboards today.

We're looking at a way to block the functionality of hacks completely, but cheat detection is working. I used to catch ~10 cheaters a day, who were all banned. Only caught 4 this week.

I'm getting support but we're trying to keep several plates spinning at the moment.

dgeesi0 said:
 in 6 months time or a year it will be pointless playing if competing for times as it will just be a wall of cheats !
I don't see it taking that long, I've lost tons of appetite over the past 3-4 weeks, that's despite this being hands-down, the best game to ever happen to my favorite driving game genre!  Disappointment is an understatement....

We're not long past early access and I cant concentrate for the length of a stage now without my mind wandering to the inevitability of my really nice run easily being top 15, BUT, 40+ seconds off the pace of  No.1....

I wouldnt even care so much, if the game was casual or easy going, but you really do have to commit time and effort into DiRT to pull off a proper flyer.  This makes is a thousand times worse, if some lazy feck hotkeys his handling into DiRT2 and casually saunters through a stage to a top-spot.

To finish on a positive, for me to even be considering buying a console is a clear indication of how  good I think this game is and how much I enjoy playing it. 

Hatward said:
dgeesi0 said:
[...]
Don't feel too bad - we're wiping times from leaderboards today.

We're looking at a way to block the functionality of hacks completely, but cheat detection is working. I used to catch ~10 cheaters a day, who were all banned. Only caught 4 this week.

I'm getting support but we're trying to keep several plates spinning at the moment.
Obviously I am not a game developer but I never understood why keeping cheats out of games is so hard. Wouldn't you just, during the connection with the server, check the integrity of the relevant files with a hash? How could they circumvent that?