DiRTy Gossip

Is it just me, or does that Peugeot look very "drifty" in terms of its handling? On the actual onboard it looks planted like a GT3.
Setup and driver matters a lot. On top of that, it's "Work in Progress". Just because there isn't that text slapped on it, doesn't mean everything is finished.

I like the changes done to the Monte Carlo though. It's going to be more tarmac and less snow now, or rather it's gonna be all about finding the tarmac grip in those snowy sections. Really like those small things that force you to re-learn the stages in some way.
Yeah, as a simulator dev myself I know the ins and outs of work-in-progress. I'd normally put it down to that, but later on in the stream they say that this is a very finalized build that they're on the cusp of submitting.

As we have said before, the aero on PP doesnt feel right.  Those big wings & modern slick tyres should have you mashed into the road 

main reason i dont play pikes peak. it should stick to the road like you vaccum on you. instead its understeer over steer glide on ice.

Ultimately, the games handling has been tweaked towards gravel and such.
No matter the car setup, I doubt it's going to be fully capable of a proper tarmac simulation as it is, and even then we're talking about magnitudes of difference between a rally car on tarmac compared to this particular beast.

Despite the looks, the 208 T16 has more in common with Peugeot's 908 LMP than it does any rally or earlier Hill Climb cars.
Not just the fact that it literally has the 908's rear wing. It had purpose built tyres, etc, that are just very different from anything fitted to a WRC.
That particular car needs to take far more cues from Codies F1 games than anything else they've made, even GRID and GRID Autosport (we don't talk about GRID 2 when it comes to grip)

As said, with the slicks and wings, grip should be more abundant.  

I actually don't mind how the car 'feels' on Pikes tarmac, the car reacts nicely when sliding and is very adjustable, but that should only really happen when well past a much higher threshold of grip.

I cant imaging the full gravel stage having much less grip than the tar currently has??

KevM said:
As said, with the slicks and wings, grip should be more abundant.  

I actually don't mind how the car 'feels' on Pikes tarmac, the car reacts nicely when sliding and is very adjustable, but that should only really happen when well past a much higher threshold of grip.

I cant imaging the full gravel stage having much less grip than the tar currently has??
Depends how much of the grip is coded into the track itself, vs the cars.
In theory when it comes to a simulation, the biggest problem with playing PP at the moment is the cars.
The PP modifications never took tarmac into account. All the modifications turning them from Group B to Pikes Peak cars had 100% gravel in mind (even more so the 405) , so it's understandable they would not be as suited for tarmac and somewhat compromised by it.
Not so much about the gravel version having less grip as it is the old PP cars not being able to take full advantage of the tarmacs extra grip.
Like a car that's been setup for drifting. Being on tarmac doesn't make it much faster.

That would be in real life. 
I'm not entirely sure that is properly reflected in the game though. The 208 is what would prove or disprove that.
If it inherits certain traits on tarmac from the current PP cars, then there is a more fundamental problem under the skin. 

Yeah, It does actually feel like you are driving the tarmac climb on gravel tyres I suppose.

Is it just me, or does that Peugeot look very "drifty" in terms of its handling? On the actual onboard it looks planted like a GT3.
Setup and driver matters a lot. On top of that, it's "Work in Progress". Just because there isn't that text slapped on it, doesn't mean everything is finished.
They clearly said this could be the submission build sent off to Sony and Microsoft, which, if we were to use the proper terminology, essentially means we're in the Release Candidate build phase rather than true beta. The amount of WIP time is becoming somewhat limited. ;)
For that to be the case, it's almost certainly content complete.
I suspect the game will go gold in the next 4/6 weeks, then work will accelerate on the Day 1 Console Patch (it's a normal part of the process now) and the PC patch.

KevM said:
Yeah, It does actually feel like you are driving the tarmac climb on gravel tyres I suppose.
Or possibly rally tarmac tyres, but applied to a car that has between 2x/3x the power and a chassis/suspension that wasn't optimised for the demands of a tarmac course.
In that sense, it's like a rallycross car on pure tarmac, and we don't think much of them sliding around because they have to work on a mixed surface. They are just designed and setup that way. Just so happens that the Rallycross cars powersliding behaviour feels quite nice, whereas the PP cars feel more like they are throwing a hissy fit of "I don't want to slide" understeer followed by "FINE, but we're doing it backwards!" snap oversteer.

The 208 T16 meanwhile... well, it'd say it's closer to a LMP2 or even LMP1 car than GT3.
I say that because the 208 T16 weighs significantly less than a GT3 car with significantly more power.
875hp in a 875kg car.
Peugeot also claimed the 208 T16 produced more downforce than the actual 908 LMP1, so... that's a lot of downforce.
Not F1 levels, but more than you'd find on most other things.

Can someone summup what was being said in the show? I am deaf, so I can't hear. Hehe. 
Basically that they love us very much and that they enjoy spoiling us rotten. ;)

The new stage loading screens, and the subsequent stage info appearing by itself, look awesome. Whoever is responsible for that solved the issue of the length/surface info occasionally covering the route map, with style.

so, gamespot put up some xbox one gameplay of Dirt, is it me or are they driving the C4 with the official livery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=091wWm3wJS0

edit: Haven't played Dirt in a few months, so sorry if this livery is already in game
Looks like my mum works at Gamespot judging by the driving.

BrySkye said:

The 208 T16 meanwhile... well, it'd say it's closer to a LMP2 or even LMP1 car than GT3.
I say that because the 208 T16 weighs significantly less than a GT3 car with significantly more power.
875hp in a 875kg car.
Peugeot also claimed the 208 T16 produced more downforce than the actual 908 LMP1, so... that's a lot of downforce.
If I recall correctly the 208 T16 was heavily based on the 908 LMP1 car: sure the engine, drivetrain and rear aero were all from the LMP1 car.

When Meeke drove it he said it was stuck like shit to a shovel  in the corners (or words to that effect!).

https://youtu.be/P1p_vwgwMlI

The engine certainly isn't, the LMP was a diesel, but a lot of bits were; was a bit of a parts bin special.

I agree with those that think it looks like it's handling awfully, I would expect this one to be really stuck to the road, in much the way as cars were in the old tarmac physics.

The engine certainly isn't, the LMP was a diesel, but a lot of bits were; was a bit of a parts bin special.

I agree with those that think it looks like it's handling awfully, I would expect this one to be really stuck to the road, in much the way as cars were in the old tarmac physics.
Please bear in mind that Mike had no audio when he was playing on the live stream so he had no audio forewarning of the tyres giving up their grip. While this car has obviously got a lot of downforce and grip it also has a huge amount of power so over driving it will still cause it to lose traction. 
Watch the video of Loeb driving up Pikes. He isn't pinning the throttle and railing it around every corner he is actually being quite conservative and short shifting. 
I'm not claiming it's perfect but this car is the most planted in DiRT Rally. 

Cool, thanks for that - I do remember how unspectacular it looked watching Loeb's run the first time, only up at the top did it seem to be pushed at all. I had to keep telling myself that the first times I attempted PP in DiRT Rally.....

gaski said:
so, gamespot put up some xbox one gameplay of Dirt, is it me or are they driving the C4 with the official livery?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=091wWm3wJS0

edit: Haven't played Dirt in a few months, so sorry if this livery is already in game
Looks like my mum works at Gamespot judging by the driving.
Driving is awesome man, driving is awesome man. 10/10

I just love it so much when any dev comments on here <3
I swear if there is one thing this entire industry must improve on is communicating with it's customers. The journalist middle man was always a bad idea. It's super frustrating when some interview comes out where they ask irrelevant, uninteresting questions, or questions that had already been answered through other channels and it just more sounds like an opportunity to advertise. Just seems like they are used more for exposure than for communication!

Sorry it is off-topic, I just had to vent this. I think you and your team did a fantastic job throughout the entire early access period and now even post-release with weekly blog posts, addressing questions on the forums and of course the occasional live streams.

That's the key point.
Just like when you play a game/sim and drive an F1 or LMP car with traction control off, you do have to apply the throttle very gently in the lower gears as you exit a corner. The amount of power means you WILL spin if you don't. 
It's in those cars where I've mainly felt the benefits of using wheels and pedals over a pad, because it's 100% about being very smooth with the steering input and throttle. In many ways, the polar opposite of manhandling a rally car.

I wasn't saying it should be impossible to make the car spin or behave badly, it's just so different from anything else in DR, I'm unsure if the handling engine, which will have been optimised in certain other areas, can cope with capturing that kind of feeling.
The tarmac handling has been a hot topic throughout EA, and there's a fair share of people, like Porky, who felt v2 was a big step backwards on tarmac, at least for wheel users.
So I'm a bit nervous how it'll turn out.

tbtstt said:
BrySkye said:

875hp in a 875kg car.
If I recall correctly the 208 T16 was heavily based on the 908 LMP1 car: sure the engine, drivetrain and rear aero were all from the LMP1 car.

When Meeke drove it he said it was stuck like shit to a shovel  in the corners (or words to that effect!).

Mentioned that in an earlier post. ;) It's not all from the LMP1 car, but they did take a fair old bit of it from the parts bin.
The 208 T16's rear wing literally is the 908 wing.
That's why quite a few people think the record Loeb set may not last all that long.
There's a lot of room for a more purpose built car to gain ground, even if it was driven as conservatively as Loeb did.

The *huge* power makes a problem with both the downforce/grip level *feel* as well as the perceived speed in the game engine.

You're typically not used to be doing 100+ in a couple of gears, or without the usual effort, and the sense of speed gets thrown out of whack too, that was my initial PP car problem.  The 'simulation' of a crap-ton of power didn't help matters, just as you say, @BrySkye , you *have* to be very smooth and even with all the grip/downforce in the world, it DOES NOT negate having to be careful with the throttle. 

In fact, i would argue in the case of the PP stuff, it's actually the exact opposite.

KickUp said:
I'm not claiming it's perfect but this car is the most planted in DiRT Rally. 
Well, I still think that the inverted downforce is the main reason why the cars feel so... strange. So even if the car is most planted down, it will still have those strange characteristics. In any case I'm still gonna fight for the #1 time on Pikes Peak anyway :D 

Nice to see @KickUp acknowledge the possibility of a "proper" retro rallycross pack as well. Fingers crossed for a big BHP RS200 and bi-turbo 6R4 in the future...

In fact, i would argue in the case of the PP stuff, it's actually the exact opposite.
Having a crapton of playtime in Hillclimb, I can definitely say it's true. I have to be a lot more careful with the throttle to not upset the car mid-corner or put too much power in a hairpin which will result in spinning in a place, rather than drifting through the hairpin quickly. I'm definitely a lot more on/off in Monte Carlo with throttle and rally cars.