Jump to content

DiRTy Gossip

Recommended Posts

I was trying to get the right Mini spoiler for @YorAlcoholicDad but no luck. Sincerely I don't get how some manufacturers think. Wouldn't it be better for your brand to have the proper and most beautiful car licensed instead of one it almost never existed?

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/698630258401157124

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Underkex said:
I was trying to get the right Mini spoiler for @YorAlcoholicDad but no luck. Sincerely I don't get how some manufacturers think. Wouldn't it be better for your brand to have the proper and most beautiful car licensed instead of one it almost never existed?

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/698630258401157124
We don't have any way of knowing if the manufacturers have certain obligations or restrictions themselves.
The FIA certainly asks the 
manufacturers taking part in their series to respect their own official licensing deals, which certain companies take more seriously than other ones. 
Generally, these are compromises.
Might notice that the RX Mini doesn't have the same problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just putting my gossip/tin foil hat on,

I was wondering if these new tutorial videos will be voiced, and by who? They could easily have been done by someone on the team or one of codies voice artists. However I thought that they could also have been done by someone who knows a lot about rallying. Then I thought of Ryan Champion. He's already lent his car for the game, and he knew about console release a while back as he teased it on absolute rally radio. 

Just a thought anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just putting my gossip/tin foil hat on,

I was wondering if these new tutorial videos will be voiced, and by who? They could easily have been done by someone on the team or one of codies voice artists. However I thought that they could also have been done by someone who knows a lot about rallying. Then I thought of Ryan Champion. He's already lent his car for the game, and he knew about console release a while back as he teased it on absolute rally radio. 

Just a thought anyway
The guides were originally written by Jon Tucker and then I turned them into a script. The guy who does the voice over in English was at one time a rally instructor but it isn't Ryan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrySkye said:
We don't have any way of knowing if the manufacturers have certain obligations or restrictions themselves.
The FIA certainly asks the manufacturers taking part in their series to respect their own official licensing deals, which certain companies take more seriously than other ones. 
Generally, these are compromises.
Might notice that the RX Mini doesn't have the same problem. 

I know about the FIA license, the funny thing is you have the Mini with the spoiler and the official livery in SLRE (who has not any FIA license, neither Loeb drove never a Mini) so no, I don't get how manufacters think. Maybe has something to do with already having the concept car in Dirt 3 and Mini doesn't want to expand the license.
Yes, the RX Mini is the official with the proper spoiler and body details. So much beautiful in my opinion. I am a Mini lover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Underkex said:
BrySkye said:
We don't have any way of knowing if the manufacturers have certain obligations or restrictions themselves.
The FIA certainly asks the manufacturers taking part in their series to respect their own official licensing deals, which certain companies take more seriously than other ones. 
Generally, these are compromises.
Might notice that the RX Mini doesn't have the same problem. 

I know about the FIA license, the funny thing is you have the Mini with the spoiler and the official livery in SLRE (who has not any FIA license, neither Loeb drove never a Mini) so no, I don't get how manufacters think. Maybe has something to do with already having the concept car in Dirt 3 and Mini doesn't want to expand the license.
Yes, the RX Mini is the official with the proper spoiler and body details. So much beautiful in my opinion. I am a Mini lover.
If you don't know what it is about, then it's about $_$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KickUp said:
Just putting my gossip/tin foil hat on,

I was wondering if these new tutorial videos will be voiced, and by who? They could easily have been done by someone on the team or one of codies voice artists. However I thought that they could also have been done by someone who knows a lot about rallying. Then I thought of Ryan Champion. He's already lent his car for the game, and he knew about console release a while back as he teased it on absolute rally radio. 

Just a thought anyway
The guides were originally written by Jon Tucker and then I turned them into a script. The guy who does the voice over in English was at one time a rally instructor but it isn't Ryan. 
That's cool, I thought Jon may have done something, but I thought it might have been to long ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Underkex said:
the funny thing is you have the Mini with the spoiler and the official livery in SLRE (who has not any FIA license, neither Loeb drove never a Mini) 
Coulda sworn SLRE didn't have the proper one either... or maybe that was earlier pre-release pictures.
All the 'official' liveries in SLRE are very basic adaptations. Without at least a couple of sponsors present, many of the liveries don't look that good.

Anyway, as for Paul's comment, it's worth noting that it's actually kinda vague.
It doesn't say WHO only allowed them to license the concept car.
Could even have been CM management for all we know, who knew they already had source files for the concept car from DiRT 3.
Plus, there was almost a whole year between DR hitting Early Access and SLRE being released.
Could be that a year ago, CM really could only get the concept car from BMW.
After already securing that, it doesn't make good business sense to pursue a new license at this point to replace it, at least not compared to other things that could be done.
That was one of the problems with the other thread saying the Escort MkII should just be replaced.
Ditching a car model for another one is also ditching all the money that got it first model there in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was looking for new cool leagues to play. Preferly realistic settings etc. Somehow Simmoniti seems to be overflooding all the cool leagues. Link: https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/racenet/1487720 How is it possible that he can particate in so many? I can only join six leagues. 
You can join more than 6 leagues but only your 6 most recently joined will show up in game. I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ramPage16 said:
I was looking for new cool leagues to play. Preferly realistic settings etc. Somehow Simmoniti seems to be overflooding all the cool leagues. Link: https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/racenet/1487720 How is it possible that he can particate in so many? I can only join six leagues. 
You can join more than 6 leagues but only your 6 most recently joined will show up in game. I think.
Yup, you can join more than 6 and active ones will cycle thru ingame. Simmoniti is our Seb Loeb :smile: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrySkye said:
Underkex said:

Ditching a car model for another one is also ditching all the money that got it first model there in the first place.
That specifically, however, is a useless consideration economically speaking. What does matter is wether a replacement model will net the company more income. Already having a model that is 'slightly off' here thus means that the replacement model has to generate so much more revenue just by being more accurate that it covers its entire development costs. This latter part is of course highly unlikely.

It's all about value being added. costs that have already been made are irrelevant as such for future considerations. Only the value that the resulting product brings to the company is relevant for consideration. (this value can be higher or lower than the amount invested)

(for the sake of simplicity in the discussion, assume that also the invisible revenue such as customer appreciation is taken into account in the revenue number)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mafkees89 said:
(for the sake of simplicity in the discussion, assume that also the invisible revenue such as customer appreciation is taken into account in the revenue number)
For the sake of simplicity, assume... wait, we don't need to assume. We know that the higher-ups in CM care only about actual numbers, not "customer appreciation".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mafkees89 said:
BrySkye said:
Underkex said:

Ditching a car model for another one is also ditching all the money that got it first model there in the first place.
That specifically, however, is a useless consideration economically speaking. What does matter is wether a replacement model will net the company more income. Already having a model that is 'slightly off' here thus means that the replacement model has to generate so much more revenue just by being more accurate that it covers its entire development costs. This latter part is of course highly unlikely.

So... it's not a useless consideration, economically speaking, and you basically just backed up what I was saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
function9 said:
Why would a whole new model need to be done just to change a part or two?
Depends on how the 3D model is made though usually it shouldn't be much of an issue. Biggest issue is that there would have to be a completely new license acquired, which is something that a lot of whiners do not understand. Or they think that few people is the majority of the playerbase -_-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrySkye said:
Mafkees89 said:
BrySkye said:
Underkex said:

Ditching a car model for another one is also ditching all the money that got it first model there in the first place.
That specifically, however, is a useless consideration economically speaking. What does matter is wether a replacement model will net the company more income. Already having a model that is 'slightly off' here thus means that the replacement model has to generate so much more revenue just by being more accurate that it covers its entire development costs. This latter part is of course highly unlikely.

So... it's not a useless consideration, economically speaking, and you basically just backed up what I was saying.
not exactly. the difference between the 'costs made' (on the prior model) and 'value' is crucial: The value to the company can be what the consumer thinks it's worth. if for instance a car was made in such a bad way that nobody would ever drive that car in the game, the value of that model would be 0 no matter how high the development costs for that model. Then if a new model of that car were to be developed in a way so that now many people will want to buy the game because of that car, there are two situations possible (in various degrees): A. It still doesn't generate enough income to cover it's development costs and it'll still cost money in the end; or B, It generates enough income so that it will generate more income than the development costs.

Given that the prior model has a worth of 0, then it becomes profitable to produce a new model. Even if that prior model was brand new and cost a million, if it doesn't add a possibility for income it will have no value and the new model should still be made. 

The catch in this discussion is ofcourse that the prior model does have a positive value as it is far from as crappy as i just presented it to be for this example. But I hope this shows more clearly how costs that have already been made are irrelevant as opposed to the value that has been created.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
function9 said:
Why would a whole new model need to be done just to change a part or two?
Didn't say a new model has to be done.
However, a new license does have to be acquired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Some new gameplay:

  • Body is 22 characters too short.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEj5PZfHnIQ&index=1&list=LLOjMYaj6LAWkaVwyrTUkO6Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Interesting, could this possibly be related to the new checkpoint system? Perhaps the league is not saving after finishing an event, so it put you back at the first checkpoint, allowing you to re-run? There is already a much easier exploit to restart stages, so I was hoping the checkpoint system would resolve this, but I have yet to implement checkpoints in an event.

Thanks for bringing this to light Ivy, hopefully the DR team will get to the bottom of it. Would really rather focus on fixing the holes than singling out individuals, as a league admin I have to be able to give people the benefit of the doubt as I don't have the tools to enforce the restart rules beyond what I am given by RaceNet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am not very impressed.  :( Maybe that's cause they using one of the newer logitechs. 

enamel said:
ramPage16 said:
RinusRally said:
I was looking for new cool leagues to play. Preferly realistic settings etc. Somehow Simmoniti seems to be overflooding all the cool leagues. Link: https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/racenet/1487720 How is it possible that he can particate in so many? I can only join six leagues. 
You can join more than 6 leagues but only your 6 most recently joined will show up in game. I think.
Yup, you can join more than 6 and active ones will cycle thru ingame. Simmoniti is our Seb Loeb :smile: 
I am just going to drop a bomb to make you all wake up.

Just like Simmoniti I took over 6 leagues. In total 10 or so. After I finished them all. I noticed something strange; While I wanted to inspect my results I noticed I was wrongly placed on the league-table. It showed me at  5th place, but I am 1st place of all total stages finished. It seems to be it showed me the results of stage 1. So I clicked "enter" and I was able to choose a car. This is very similar to a bug we had in Early acces where you could re-do leagues, cause they were not saving if you had more than five. 

Now I removed all the stages that I don't want to participate in, and now only have 6, so they must save again when a new event or seasons starts. I am only able to "re-do" three leagues, cause the other three seasons are ended or so. I will not abuse this flaw/bug. 

However, earlier I posted why Simmoniti was everywhere in the cool awesome leagues, and  he seems to be "always" finished on 1st place. I've no idea if he is Seb Loeb anymore. It's likely other people are also abusing this flaw

In short: I hope Codemasters will look into this flaw, cause it's easy to abuse and ruin the leagues for people if you have unlimited acces to re-do leagues where "restart event" is ticked off. Any other is their case. I don't have power here. 

Have a fine day! 

Ivy

 @KickUp @Hatward @Jamielowesdev @Jamielowedev
Thanks for the detailed write up, Rinus! We've managed to reproduce this internally so we'll look into a fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@Hatward I am glad to give you this. I hope you also will do something against people who exploited this bug. Because I am kinda frustrated cause it's similar to performance increasing narcotics; it makes you better than you really are. 

While I'm very happy to police the Steam and Online Event leaderboards, I wouldn't be comfortable enforcing punishments in Leagues. I'd rather leave that up to the owner of each indiviudal League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like Simmoniti I took over 6 leagues. In total 10 or so. After I finished them all. I noticed something strange; While I wanted to inspect my results I noticed I was wrongly placed on the league-table. It showed me at  5th place, but I am 1st place of all total stages finished. It seems to be it showed me the results of stage 1. So I clicked "enter" and I was able to choose a car. This is very similar to a bug we had in Early acces where you could re-do leagues, cause they were not saving if you had more than five. 

Now I removed all the stages that I don't want to participate in, and now only have 6, so they must save again when a new event or seasons starts. I am only able to "re-do" three leagues, cause the other three seasons are ended or so. I will not abuse this flaw/bug. 

However, earlier I posted why Simmoniti was everywhere in the cool awesome leagues, and  he seems to be "always" finished on 1st place. I've no idea if he is Seb Loeb anymore. It's likely other people are also abusing this flaw

In short: I hope Codemasters will look into this flaw, cause it's easy to abuse and ruin the leagues for people if you have unlimited acces to re-do leagues where "restart event" is ticked off. Any other is their case. I don't have power here. 

Have a fine day! 

Ivy

 @KickUp @Hatward @Jamielowesdev @Jamielowedev
I know that your times show up on Racenet as you are going through a league, so to get away with this method you'd have to hope that nobody happened to look at your position in the league over the course of the hour or two that you were restarting it. Admittedly, that won't happen too often, but it would do enough for people to be seen doing it occasionally. A further worry is what happens if you're offline when the game tries to upload to Racenet? I had my connection break mid-stage once and it couldn't upload the time, I just reset the router and carried on and at the end of the next stage it uploaded both times. This was ~6 months ago so maybe that doesn't exist, but that would be a way for people to not be seen as the times were uploaded one by one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×