DiRTy Gossip

gfRally said:
I dont think DR engine needs overhauled or that its old, just some fundamental features that have been missing.  Some features that have never been in any CM title that other racing titles have long had now.
Well, let's face it. The stages can't be any longer, you can't put any more rally cars on current stages, the RX cars have to be lower poly count (aka quality) compared to rally cars to be on the same RX track at the same time. The engine is old and needs to be overhauled. It's no longer down to opinion, it's a must if they want to provide even better game and improve all the things that are lacking in DiRT Rally. That and the PBR engine expertise of guys from Evolution Studios should really make our jaws drop in terms of graphics.

Also, at this point I wouldn't have anything against a simcade DiRT 4, seeing as people responsible for the best arcade rally and off-road titles ever are on-board the Codemasters team. Naturally a DiRT Rally 2 (or DiRT 4 in a sim mode, call it however you want) would be preferred but still... it's just good news to know that they have people who quite literally can do all the possible genres in the racing games department, as in arcade, simcade and sim.

I've said it before, but I'd love to see a dirt 4 game with the handling and stage design of dirt rally throughout, so things like the buggies and trophy trucks as a sim. I'm also one of the few who liked gymkhana, and I think that would be pretty cool if done the same way

Amazing news.

Evolution studio made some of the greatest rally games back on the ps2, can't wait to see them work with codies.

Their pace note recording method is... interesting to say the least xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCsOZBd5mE

i hope  next  rally game by codies get much better than this if possible :)

track deformation  and   soft roadside banks   (real car weight over roadside banks)

a better tarmac feeling

a lot more locations

that would be epic :)

teknoid85 said:

track deformation  and   soft roadside banks   (real car weight over roadside banks)

a better tarmac feeling

a lot more locations

And some amazing R2, R3, R5's rally cars or more WRC rallycars ;-) That would be amazing!

teknoid85 said:

a better tarmac feeling

a lot more locations

And some amazing R2, R3, R5's rally cars or more WRC rallycars ;-) That would be amazing!

Just imagine a class of:
Hyundai i20 R5
Ford Fiesta R5
Citroen DS3 R5
Peugeot 208 T16 R5
Skoda Fabia R5
Mitsubishi Mirage R5

Now that would be a hell of a lot of fun!

On another similar note, do you think we could be seeing a whole new game engine being developed? I'm a bit lost on where they are with ego at the moment, as Dirt rally didn't use F1's, and instead used an older one which was basically re designed. was the F1 engine new for the last game?
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/719522827536351232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

From this tweet I can assume the Evo guys will make a new engine or the Ego engine will be "upgraded".

RallyDriven said:
Just imagine a class of:
Hyundai i20 R5
Ford Fiesta R5
Citroen DS3 R5
Peugeot 208 T16 R5
Skoda Fabia R5
Mitsubishi Mirage R5

I imagine a class of:
- Ford Focus WRC
- Toyota Corolla WRC
- Mitsubishi Evo VI WRC
- Peugeot 206 WRC
- Subaru Impreza WRC 2000
- Skoda Octavia RS WRC
- Hyundai Accent WRC

Call it "90s" for example. Since we have 2010 car now in 2000s this shouldn't be a problem.

And my pants suddenly got sticky xD
Azoresst said:
From this tweet I can assume the Evo guys will make a new engine or the Ego engine will be "upgraded".
They'll upgrade the Ego to Pride xD

RallyDriven said:
Just imagine a class of:
Hyundai i20 R5
Ford Fiesta R5
Citroen DS3 R5
Peugeot 208 T16 R5
Skoda Fabia R5
Mitsubishi Mirage R5

I imagine a class of:
- Ford Focus WRC
- Toyota Corolla WRC
- Mitsubishi Evo VI WRC
- Peugeot 206 WRC
- Subaru Impreza WRC 2000
- Skoda Octavia RS WRC
- Hyundai Accent WRC

Call it "90s" for example. Since we have 2010 car now in 2000s this shouldn't be a problem.

And my pants suddenly got sticky xD

I think we could go on for a while making sticky pants classes!

If they make a DR sequel, I'd love to see them release an SDK like Assetto Corsa's so we can have community made stages. Imagine the replay-ability and value you'd get from that. Great things can be made by a community as passionate as this.

Unfortunately, I don't think a track SDK will be high on their priorities since only PC users have the benefit of the steam workshop. Though, if they go the Early Access route again then maybe it will be something they consider.

Welp that answers that:  

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/04/11/closed-driveclub-developer-becomes-a-new-codemasters-studio

"Fellow UK developer Codemasters has bought the studio, and will keep it as a separate team, working on its own games from the same offices."

So what would you guys say to Evo getting the WRC license back and making the WRC game we all want with the DR tech? 

Ekhem, a small reminder is needed. They started with TOCA. Then they changed the name to GRID while the game being basically the same. I'm more than sure that the new title will be continuation of that trend of theirs.

If all Codemasters studio's switch to Simulator racing games than I am fine. Codemasters going back to arcade or not advancing from Simcade Dirt Rally to a full Sim studio is just a disappointment. With the nowadays technology; better wheels, better peripherals, etc Simracing is becoming booming business. But it needs to be treated with respect otherwise you only attract people that complain with 1000+ topics on your forum, etc. 
So you expect Codies are headed to be a full on sim developer and nothing else? I guess you need to prepare to be disapointed.

My real concern is the WRC license which should now belong to CM because of EVO studios expertise on the PS2 titles. I understand your frustration concerning the engine's limitation and lack of resourcing expansion, but the recruitment that CM has achieved is possibly a great sign of the engine's upgrading to diversify more titles not only DiRT. All we have to convince ourselves with, by the DR significant sales scoring alongside the recruitments, is fresh titles are on the way hopefully. I guess we will be receiving more hints about the next upcoming game this year.

If all Codemasters studio's switch to Simulator racing games than I am fine. Codemasters going back to arcade or not advancing from Simcade Dirt Rally to a full Sim studio is just a disappointment. With the nowadays technology; better wheels, better peripherals, etc Simracing is becoming booming business. But it needs to be treated with respect otherwise you only attract people that complain with 1000+ topics on your forum, etc. 

Technology doesn't create joy. It is only an addictive psychostimulant for brief pleasure. Stick that to mind. My advice would be: buy a rally car and enjoy the real experience. Some people around the forums are so desperate to make anything simulated. You have gone mad, people! 

Yeah, that is an awful argument against simulators. People want simulators exactly because they are not able to experience the activity (whatever it may be, rally in this case) in real life. For some its because they are poor, others because of physical disabilities. Simulators are a wonderful genre of games that shouldn't be belittled. 

Its so easy to just say "go do it in real life if you want more indepth experience" but I can't for example because I'm a poor student who cant even afford a car for daily commute (not that i need one atm). Reading up on starting rally hobby here in Finland it can cost around 10-50k a year which is not cheap fun. I don't know if having that kind of hobby would ever be financially viable, but I await that day my life is so well off that I can actually do what I love in real life.

Let's leave poverty and physical disabilities apart. We are talking about passion whether is fictional or real. I agree with you that rallying do really necessitate financial back-up, but passion could break down the desperation behind that financial culprit if we segregate hopelessness from the equation. Anything is possible, what really kills one's passion and ambition is desperation.

Simulators have major roles in teaching and educating the players new elements from real life that they were never in acquaintance with, therefore, the excessive use of such means could lead to addiction and bring dependency on fiction only then never be thinking to go outside to meet reality and try to figure out a way to realise that passion.