DiRTy Gossip

I posted this somewhere (here?) not long ago, but Ill repeat it here (new record @tbtstt).

Historic rally locations and events?  What I mean - Australia current, but the historic 'mine shaft' stage, etc.  I think this could be done elsewhere too?  I'm not real familiar with other locations, this one always pops up.  Events and places (Kenya) that are not run anymore.

Just a random thought 

Basically, there are a shit tonne of stages out there across the world, with some pretty spectacular ones either on or off the WRC calendar, and we want them all! Unfortunately we can't get them all, but as long as we get a good selection of some pretty decent stages, I'll be more than happy!

I dont really mind the locations we got either, but my problem is we have a tendencey to see the same locations in every singe rally game thats out there (This is speaking in more of a video game perspective than a rallysim perspective.) I have lost count of how many rally games that use Sweden for it's snowrallies (The only two that don't that I know of is Richard Burns Rally and Dirt 3) But this is probably a bit of Norwegian jealusy speaking.

And I do get their goal of doing diverse stages, I'm fact i welcome it fully. But what I think they should do in the future is to incluse rallies that has the same characteristics as the WRC callendar, without actually including the WRC callendar. Or something new alltogether. For example Estonia can be seen as similar to Finland. Or Switching the Cataloyna based spanish rally to Gran Canaria instead. Different location and stages, but still similar. Ofcourse now I just switched the WRC rallies with ERC rallies, but hopefully you'll get my point.

Now that I think about this more Dirt Rally could be seen as a fighting game reboot. What I mean by that is that they had to include all the classic characters(Rallies) that everybody know. And then for the sequel they are more villing to branch out with new characters(Rallies)

By not being tied to a WRC license, they do have the option to go wherever they want. But you can't deny that we got some great stages. For the next game, I think we should either get 6 completely new locations, or a mixture of some new and some old.

Australia or NZ
Spain
Corsica
Poland
Wales (Eppynt)
Portugal or Italy

And then maybe a return of Greece and Finland

gfRally said:

1)  carrying over locations from DR do other stages in the locations (I.e. Germany wine country). I would guess the assets are there and I would imagine the other areas of the locations where documented and photographed.   I would just guess these would be quicker than creating all new?  Not sure what takes longer Mesh/3D work or environment work.

I would love to see the current stages be added to DiRT 4 (shall we just call it just call it DiRT 4 like pre-DR?), but that means they would have to be redone for a big part. Monte snow banks, and if DiRT 4 gets deformable terrain this would have to be implemented in the old tracks as well.
Also Finland would have to be adjusted (smaller jumps), which would still mean a lot of work would need to be done. I don't have any experience with this but it might be nearly as much work as creating all new ones (if at all possible, same reason they haven't adjusted Monte when the new snowbank tech came out). But if possible and profitable, yes updated versions of current tracks in DiRT 4 would be great. 

Now that I think of it, Shibuya was in DiRT 2, DiRT 3 (dlc) and DiRT Showdown as well...

TURBODEVIN19 said:
Now that I think of it, Shibuya was in DiRT 2, DiRT 3 (dlc) and DiRT Showdown as well...
Shibuya was epic :D It also appeared in Race Driver GRID

TURBODEVIN19 said:
Shibuya was epic :D It also appeared in Race Driver GRID
I see it's been too long since I've played GRID, haven't played it that much sadly :(

But yea it was epic, favourite rallycross track from those games by far.

owned all the grid games but cant say i enjoyed them anywhere near the levels of rally games.

so hopefully rally is the main focus now

I love the stages that the game has now even though they are well known because of the WRC.

Having said that, there are some well known rallies that have never been implemented in a rally title.
Many of them can be found in the European Rally Championship. They really are spectacular and demanding.
Just to list a few of my favourites:

1. Circuit of Ireland (Very fast, very narrow and very bumpy!)

2. Azores Rallye     (Very fast, very narrow, very bumpy, stunning scenery, huge drops on both sides, etc.)

3. Ypres Rally            
                 (Very fast, very narrow, quite bumpy, you can cut deep with the risk of ending in a deep ditch, etc.)
                  It's also my home rally and it starts in just over a week! Yippieeeee!

4. Barum Rallye Zlin  (Very fast, in and out the woods, very bumpy, etc.)

Anyone else who wonders why those haven't been implemented in a rally title yet? Because I do.

Cheers!

Because sadly ERC is not as popular as WRC. But there are many great stages in RBR done by modding community, Semetin and stuff. 

I dont really mind the locations we got either, but my problem is we have a tendencey to see the same locations in every singe rally game thats out there (This is speaking in more of a video game perspective than a rallysim perspective.) I have lost count of how many rally games that use Sweden for it's snowrallies (The only two that don't that I know of is Richard Burns Rally and Dirt 3) But this is probably a bit of Norwegian jealusy speaking.......
Now now, we all know the Swedish event is also in Norway too ;)

I love the stages that the game has now even though they are well known because of the WRC.

Having said that, there are some well known rallies that have never been implemented in a rally title.
Many of them can be found in the European Rally Championship. They really are spectacular and demanding.

2. Azores Rallye     (Very fast, very narrow, very bumpy, stunning scenery, huge drops on both sides, etc.)

3. Ypres Rally            
                 (Very fast, very narrow, quite bumpy, you can cut deep with the risk of ending in a deep ditch, etc.)

Anyone else who wonders why those haven't been implemented in a rally title yet? Because I do.

Cheers!

You sure like bumpy rallies! You must enjoy Finland in Dirt Rally ;)

By not being tied to a WRC license, they do have the option to go wherever they want. But you can't deny that we got some great stages. For the next game, I think we should either get 6 completely new locations, or a mixture of some new and some old.

Australia or NZ
Spain
Corsica
Poland
Wales (Eppynt)
Portugal or Italy

And then maybe a return of Greece and Finland
Hey! I like Greece!

I'm pretty sure half the regular gossipers are testers now! You can normally tell when everyone goes quiet as soon as speculation for new updates starts! With the exception of a certain someone a year or two back who continued to gossip and speculate before it was announced, despite the fact they were secretely one of the first to see the bloody game!
Guilty as charged! :smile:

Hello guys! Long time no see.... Life is quite different these days with a 6 week old baby - despite the awesomeness of DiRT Rally I'm still going with sleep whenever there's a chance.

I'm missing a bit of Gossip in my life so I'll try and make it back over here to come up with ridiculous theories :smile:

I've had a go at this other Codies game - will have to play a bit more in one of my 30 minutes / month slots and write up my impressions.

Congrats to @Rallycameraman and @KickUp on completing their first rally - Is there a write-up or a video? I'll be very keen to read how it all came together :) 

DiRTy Gossip thread still going strong!

I'm pretty sure half the regular gossipers are testers now! You can normally tell when everyone goes quiet as soon as speculation for new updates starts! With the exception of a certain someone a year or two back who continued to gossip and speculate before it was announced, despite the fact they were secretely one of the first to see the bloody game!

Hello guys! Long time no see.... Life is quite different these days with a 6 week old baby - despite the awesomeness of DiRT Rally I'm still going with sleep whenever there's a chance.

I'm missing a bit of Gossip in my life so I'll try and make it back over here to come up with ridiculous theories :smile:

I've had a go at this other Codies game - will have to play a bit more in one of my 30 minutes / month slots and write up my impressions.

Congrats to @Rallycameraman and @KickUp on completing their first rally - Is there a write-up or a video? I'll be very keen to read how it all came together :) 

Lukes got a thread about it, he got 2nd place overall I think...

dgeesi0 said:
owned all the grid games but cant say i enjoyed them anywhere near the levels of rally games.

so hopefully rally is the main focus now
Grid has its own dev team ;)

bogani said:

3. Ypres Rally            

Cheers!

You sure like bumpy rallies! You must enjoy Finland in Dirt Rally ;)
Actually no, to be honest. Finland is more of a jumpy rally which is a bit different. :lol:

The bumpy rallies don't make the car jump a few metres in the air. You have to be fully aware of the road ahead otherwise the car might step out of line and all of a sudden you end up in a ditch or hugging an lovely innocent tree and wondering: "How the hell did that happen?"

I might take a picture of such a road and post it but there's a thunderstorm going on at the moment. It's not particularly safe to go outside and stand on a road where you are actually the tallest object in the immediate area. :lol:

JZStudios said:
Hey! I like Greece!
Same here. Problem is... Greece doesn't like me xD
I think it actually helped save my ass a bit. Literally. :P Coming into my main street/neighborhood the road gets windy and narrow as it eventually goes into the foothills and ends at a trail head. So instead of doing the suggested 20mph I do like 40-50. Coming back is all downhill so I throw it in neutral and coast, which gets me to about 45. Anyways, on one tight corner there was a bit of loose gravel on the road that I wasn't expecting and it decided "Hey, wouldn't it be fun to make his ass slide out into these conveniently placed mailboxes?" So, Thanks DiRT Rally, I saved my ass because of you.

Welcome back @MastaVonBlasta , good to have you back and can't wait for your wild speculation. It'll be just like the good old days.

Speaking of, maybe if we ganged together and spammed his inbox with #128 emails full of our nonsense, we could get @justbiglee to make a cameo appearance here.

Actually, forget that, that's a terrible idea. *sigh* I'm a horrible person.

Still, would be nice to see him comment sometimes for old time's sake

Any coment about Paul confirmation of no new content for the game?
https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/741225186876362753

The only thing we can spec until a new game release are improved physics and some fixes?

I don't think if they have made a commitment by now, they are proceeding onto the next title. 

like I said before, I am fine with that, it will only mean that DR2 or D4 or whatever will only arrive sooner (maybe 18 months? probably overly optimistic) 

grancab said:
Any coment about Paul confirmation of no new content for the game?
https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/741225186876362753

The only thing we can spec until a new game release are improved physics and some fixes?

No confirmed content just means it's behind the scenes for right now. It's answering the question, by not answering.

This:

https://youtu.be/bxL76Xr00uQ

@soundfx Placeholder sounds? Or actual game?

I find it a little exciting that its going to be finally released again on PC.  I don't mind a casual racer from time to time.  Hopefully it will have half decent physics, never played forza on PC since having a wheel, etc.  So will have to wait and see.  

One other thought, maybe for @urgaffel 

Which gives a better result, a great game engine to render a lot of environment features, or a great team of environmental artist to pull off incredible scenery from very few polys.  Is a better game engine allow for more flexibility to simulate an environment, or better to have a group of artist hand tweaking for variable occasions (weather/time of day/season).

Maybe I can rephrase:  Programming an engine takes certain amount of resources (people/time), creating environments takes a certain amount of resources (people/time).  If the engine allows for artist to concentrate on other details that would normally need to be done by hand, is it better?  Or if there is less programming resources dedicated to the engine, and more for the artist to take care of manually, does the end result look better.  Resources are the constant, the amount of people dedicated to each side is the same.

I may be answering my own question, or not making any sense, just wanted to get some conversation going again.