DiRTy Gossip

so basically turning it into f1 ? :D

you look at what is the key of the game focus on that. rally is more about the raw get in race of the course. the rest is pretty much immaterial. its like icing a steak. the core experience should be tasty enough that there is no need to add extras for the sake of adding them.

everyone has different opinions though. i respect yours ;)

dgeesi0 said:

you look at what is the key of the game focus on that. rally is more about the raw get in race of the course. the rest is pretty much immaterial. its like icing a steak. the core experience should be tasty enough that there is no need to add extras for the sake of adding them.

'icing a steak' is my new favourite phrase.

And they’re not just busy eating teacakes. Or Yorkie bars.

Can anyone shed some light on if this is clever gossip or just random stuff? :-)

dgeesi0 said:

im glad you liked it :p                                                                 

Dytut said:
And they’re not just busy eating teacakes. Or Yorkie bars.

Can anyone shed some light on if this is clever gossip or just random stuff? :-)
Is this in the thread, or elsewhere? I'm hoping that the Codemasters tea and biscuit day that was discussed with @ChristinaMc a few weeks ago is still on the cards. 

Car upgrades, how they are implemented atm, isn't something i'm happy with. Drive X kilometers to get them, feels kinda a grind. Upgrades could be car parts ( turbos, differentials, dampers, springs, etc ) we could buy and it would add more strategy and in the end, not everyone running with the same car Setup ( ex: depending of what we would buy to our car, car could be fast but with less grip or more grip and a slower car ). I imagine implementing something like this would be a mammoth job, to get it right, and probably not a goof idea ( we could end with overpowered cars =P ) but hopefully, Codies already figured out how car upgrades can work in a better way, without feeling a grind and in a simplistic way ( drive X = you get Y ). Probably it's just better no car upgrades, in next game...

Oh, and btw, Fiat 600 confirmed!! :p

I agree that car upgrades aren't well implemented. As they are, they serve as more of a burden than a way of adding depth to the career mode.

On another note, does anyone have any ideas about what the ideal experience in career mode should look like? Do you guys prefer going from the 60's and working your way up the line? Or, would you prefer something like SLRE where you start off with a more modern, cheap FWD and then eventually graduate to an early 2000's 4WD? Perhaps you should have the freedom to choose between both paths.

dgeesi0 said:

How do you ice a steak anyways? I'm just imagining spreading chocolate or cream cheese icing on a steak, and frankly that makes me sick.
Then again, you guys also like blood pudding.

Also, I'd laugh pretty hard if the next Dirt Rally had permadeath where you die because you're gloves aren't "pro quality." :D
I want to be driving and have your hand just fall off. Then the codriver can just casually say "Oy, you're hands come off, don't worry, it's just a flesh wound."

Tbh I don't see the point of car upgrades at all, people who buy WRC's and R5's etc don't receive underpowered cars either from the factory where they bought it from.

JZStudios said:
dgeesi0 said:

How do you ice a steak anyways? I'm just imagining spreading chocolate or cream cheese icing on a steak, and frankly that makes me sick.
Then again, you guys also like blood pudding.
Black pudding is awesome. Deal with it. :smiley:

sqdstr said:
Tbh I don't see the point of car upgrades at all, people who buy WRC's and R5's etc don't receive underpowered cars either from the factory where they bought it from.
Agree, the upgrade system makes it seem like you're starting off with a car that's deliberately nerfed for some arbitrary reason. I do like driving to unlock advanced setup options though. Maybe each part of the car should have its own experience progress, where your crew gains more experience with it by repairing it more (in addition to the miles)? That way, while you learn to drive the car, your crew learns to work on it. 

I also don't like the current crew system at all, I think hiring your own crew members like it's an RTS is a load of unnecessary fluff - I'm the driver, not the team manager, so why should I do the hiring, right? I think there should be a fixed crew that gains skill as you progress through the career and do more events.

sqdstr said:
Well, privateers' cars are nowhere near as fast as factory ones.

PaloSamo said:
sqdstr said:
I certainly agree with you, but - there's always but ;)
It's a game and in my humble opinion it would be better to make some kind of progress in different way than current.You can buy 2-3 engineers perks and 3-4 events, 2-4 stages each you've got whole upgraded car. What's that for? It's not tied to career (thankfuly). 
Codies need to go one of the ways that are possible:
1. Full career mode F1 like. 
2. Full arcade mode like now. 
3. Hybrid? 

Edit: Of course there comes full load out of other variables that I can't even count right now. But the amount is astonishing. I'm coming to a thought that hardest part of game development is choosing the right path to go with so that most of people from different target-groups are happy. 

PaloSamo said:
sqdstr said:
I'll agree with u on that, but they certainly aren't underpowered to the point where u have to buy upgrades the more u drive the car.

I'm liking the sound of these road books more and more as the weeks go on!
I'm not. looks like the way how to say none with million words.
Any one have idea will D:R get some updates yet in future? Doesn't matter code or content.

sqdstr said:
PaloSamo said:
sqdstr said:
I'll agree with u on that, but they certainly aren't underpowered to the point where u have to buy upgrades the more u drive the car.
It is a video game at the end of the day ;)

PaloSamo said:
sqdstr said:
PaloSamo said:
sqdstr said:
It is a video game at the end of the day ;)
Still doesn't sound like an excuse to make it unrealistic, but anyway some people like it, others don't.
I'm not here to make a fight, just how I think about it :)

versedi said:
PaloSamo said:
sqdstr said:
I certainly agree with you, but - there's always but ;)
It's a game and in my humble opinion it would be better to make some kind of progress in different way than current.You can buy 2-3 engineers perks and 3-4 events, 2-4 stages each you've got whole upgraded car. What's that for? It's not tied to career (thankfuly). 
Codies need to go one of the ways that are possible:
1. Full career mode F1 like. 
2. Full arcade mode like now. 
3. Hybrid? 

Edit: Of course there comes full load out of other variables that I can't even count right now. But the amount is astonishing. I'm coming to a thought that hardest part of game development is choosing the right path to go with so that most of people from different target-groups are happy. 
What about sponsorship?  Its how its driven in RL.  

You start out small (and poor) then as you gain your reputation (wins, clean runs - i.e. you don't kill your car to win) you attract sponsors.  Sponsors get cashflow to keep going and upgrade your car, parts then eventually a car.  

Maybe you could play for contingency to win a sponsor of your choice, it could be a way of designing your livery a bit.  Several smaller sponsors + a larger sponsor could continue the $$ flow.    This is probably would be a impossible licensing nightmare, but worth throwing out there.   The ultimate achievement could be to get the ORIGIONAL livery for the car.

At times you could be invited to certain events like, hillclimb, your choice but there would be bonuses to do so.  D2 has something like this a bit, and I thought it drove the challenge a bit to move onto other locations.

Like today you have local rallies, or even local series, where you could run for a couple of seasons to build up cash.  This doesn't have to be hugely elaborate maybe series is 2 locations in that country.  Could be kept to 3 countries, UK, AMERICA :smile:, maybe Australia/New Zealand (since this area is wanted, and a visit to the area would be more efficient for the trip to gather game assets).

Personally, I'm not real fond of the Mechanics contracts aspect of DR, could be simplified if kept.

2 more things:  the Old CM games had, are custom Driver/CoDriver names on the car.  Also the Door decals with numbers, should have the rally location on them, instead of the generic static one we have now, doesn't have to be official decals (licensing).

I'm not really smart about the programming needed to accomplish this, I'll easily admit ( @urgaffel ) but its just a wish.

yes its basically grid which while i own all of them they are not as fun as dirt games.

I'd be concerned about the buget with having a sponsor system. They may be able to afford licencing for specific logos and liveries, but who know how expensive it might be trying to get what is essentially a representation of each company (albeit a minimal one) in the game. 

They could always go for the Richard Burns Rally Route.With the teams being fictional, but with real sponsors on the cars. It would open up some doors for creativity. Ravenwest would also be a good example on what I mean.

@gfRally mentioned CMR3 as an example of a good level of immersion from elements around the special stage, so I just had to look it up, and I like it! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rA4WaDPYfo

Add the task of driving the car all the way to the time control after the stage and the finger count down and I'll be a very happy puppy. Of course all of these details could be optional?

I never saw CM3 as beeing intrusive, they were no more than what we have now.  

I know i bring ip D2 a lot, after really thinking about it, what appeals to me is how you are put in the middle of the scene where you choose your car, etc..  the trailer was ok, but not needed.  It was just cool that looking at your car then you turn around to do other things.  This is really minor, but just adds to the atmosphere i keep bringing up.   

Again D1, D3, and DR were just so cold and bland.  I just felt part of something in D2.  There has to be parts that many liked in D2..  i dont think this would take away from the ability to jump right in quickly, no different than now.