DiRTy Gossip

gfRally said:
I never saw CM3 as beeing intrusive, they were no more than what we have now.  
Maybe I'm off track, but that's not what I meant. I don't think what CMR3 does is intrusive either, I think it might be a good thing giving the player a chance to see what goes on before and after the stage. 

Those backfire sounds were pretty good for 2002!

There's something about the presentation of the CMR games that just nailed the feeling of being at a rally. I personally think RBR got that feeling a little better in some repsects - the career wasn't as grand in scale, but the little things like photographers running out of the way, the news ticker that describes how the opponents did in the last stage, driving to the time control after a stage, etc.. It just felt like you were actually at an event, I don't know of any better way to describe it.

Slowing down after passing the flying finish of a stage and then bringing the car to a full stop at the time control was something I really liked as well.
It may be a small detail but it brings so much more immersion than just the AI taking over and seeing your car in slow motion after the finish

So we can all agree - finish line + car stop to pass the time card is a must for a next title ;)

What about a starting line? Do you think it would be cool to drive to it, stop and then start the counter or would be too much? I can imagine it being a bit boring after some time, when you'd just want to drive the stage.

versedi said:
What about a starting line? Do you think it would be cool to drive to it, stop and then start the counter or would be too much? I can imagine it being a bit boring after some time, when you'd just want to drive the stage.

Maybe a compromise in the sense of a skippable cut scene? But then ofcourse u wouldn't be driving yourself

sqdstr said:
versedi said:

Maybe a compromise in the sense of a skippable cut scene? But then ofcourse u wouldn't be driving yourself
Or a simple option in settings - "Realistic stage approach"/"No pre-scene on start"

versedi said:
sqdstr said:
versedi said:

Or a simple option in settings - "Realistic stage approach"/"No pre-scene on start"
I couldn't agree more, why make these sort of things mandatory or find a compromise, when you can also make it a setting like the manual start. That way everyone will be happy

gfRally said:
I never saw CM3 as beeing intrusive, they were no more than what we have now.  

I know i bring ip D2 a lot, after really thinking about it, what appeals to me is how you are put in the middle of the scene where you choose your car, etc..  the trailer was ok, but not needed.  It was just cool that looking at your car then you turn around to do other things.  This is really minor, but just adds to the atmosphere i keep bringing up.   

Again D1, D3, and DR were just so cold and bland.  I just felt part of something in D2.  There has to be parts that many liked in D2..  i dont think this would take away from the ability to jump right in quickly, no different than now. 
Maybe they could have something similar like in D2, but also add a toggle option to just use a simple menu like in DR, for those who just want the pure driving experience

yes dirt 3 menu options useability was abosolutley terrible.dirt rally is nice and simple.

DiRT 2 menus were fairly quick, for how flashy they were. DiRT 3 menus were a massive obstruction however. IMO, as ever.

A little more CMR3

https://youtu.be/bQcPrxuc_gM

I think the presentation is nearly perfect!  With updated graphics its really great.  

I like the drive up and sense of urgency:

https://youtu.be/UKBnPnYh8iw

i did like and play cm3 a lot but the actual car was just like on a pole in the middle :D

dgeesi0 said:
i did like and play cm3 a lot but the actual car was just like on a pole in the middle :D
Yeah everything about the CMR games was amazing, except the physics. The car movement in replays made me sad in the face.

BadD0g said:
 little things like photographers running out of the way

That is something i'd like to see, people running out of the way, once in awhile. More diversity and better crowd animations. I'd like to hear Marshals horning when we aproach big crowd spots. Maibe while we're driving, with the car engine screaming, it's hard to hear, but on the replays, would be nice to hear them.

Also, more wild live crossing the stages, and would be a nice touch, once in awhile, at night stages, wild live get blinded by the car lights at the middle of the road, and get out of the way, at the last moment. Of course, Codies would need to make sure that it would be impossible to kill any wild live...

I love how the Dirt Rally menus are nice and simple, but the delay they add in between button presses to prevent accidental double key strokes is too long, in my opinion.

Based on that CMR 3 video, that's a pretty lengthy start to a stage. It'd definitely get old pretty quick for me. I get annoyed at how long DR takes sometimes.

Darhour said:
how is the CMR3's physics compared to that of  CMR04 and 2005?
Pretty much the same physics from Colin McRae Rally up until CMR2005, with small changes. The cars never stopped moving strangely. :(

I mean I enjoyed every single CMR and spent countless hours in them, but yeah.

Darhour said:
Pretty much the same physics from Colin McRae Rally up until CMR2005, with small changes. The cars never stopped moving strangely. :(

CMR04 and CMR2005 felt pretty much the same, but CMR2.0 was different, the cars felt... stranger. Havent played the 3rd one though

Didzis said:
Darhour said:

CMR04 and CMR2005 felt pretty much the same, but CMR2.0 was different, the cars felt... stranger. Havent played the 3rd one though
I'm talking from a pure car movement perspective. I prioritise this in all racing and rally games, pretty much. :D I still think Rally Masters from 2000 has the best car movement of any rally game (shared with Dirt Rally until V2 tarmac came) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzqKni_8f80

Didzis said:
Darhour said:

I'm talking from a pure car movement perspective. I prioritise this in all racing and rally games, pretty much. :D I still think Rally Masters from 2000 has the best car movement of any rally game (shared with Dirt Rally until V2 tarmac came) ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzqKni_8f80

And by car movement you mean physics? Can't see how you can look at that video and say it's on par with DR on gravel. It looks like a fun arcade rally game though, as it was.

Rally Masters!!! I'd forgotten about that. I've still got the DVD but I don't think it'll wotk under W7

The strangeness of the physics makes you feel the cars like they are drunk and dancing around. Yeah, very strange actually for a racing game. :)

bogani said:
And by car movement you mean physics? Can't see how you can look at that video and say it's on par with DR on gravel. It looks like a fun arcade rally game though, as it was.
By car movement I mean car movement. :) I know it's an arcade game.