DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

Also I would like a bit more realistic results, they are always the same in every stage, some failures, mistakes, the only ones who have troubles are the ones which in every stage finish in the last position.
To play with the tires would be awesome. At the beggining of the season to choose between Pirelli, DMack and Michelin, and in every loop to choose the compound and type. Tires are one of the most important thing in Motorsports and in DR we have nothing about it.

gfRally said:
JZStudios said:
Yeah, that's not bad. The initial start up is a bit like Forza. Think the visual transition between the places could be a bit snappier. D2 was a weird menu system, but it was also fairly snappy, the WRC6 looks a bit lethargic.
Those have to be the ssssslloooowist moving tech's ever XD  

WRC6 is a good idea with bad implementation.  I still like the First Person view of D2...   

Another idea:  Since a lot still like the trailer from D2, I think its common for real rally, that you would go to your trailer to see current standings, and other race data.  Perhaps this is where you would go to review/save/etc your replay.  Possibly it could be the place you can quickly access the Online features, run a quick stage/event or whatever.  Thats also where you can pick your event type: Stage Rally, Pikes Peak (or Hillclimb), Dakar/Rally Raid, and Rally Cross.    

Basically the Trailer would be where you go to do 'paperwork' side of rallying.  Even where you would talk to your team manager/principle about codrivers/cars/sponsers.  The business end of it all. 

Thats if for me, today, my bill is in the mail :)
Yeah, I noticed that, they were just crouching like "Oh, that's a very interesting lug nut. What's it look like from this angle?"
Actually, D2 did have the little TV in the top corner of the RV, so they could even zoom in on that. If they wanted to be real cool and fancy they could do a sweet little transition from the old tube TV's with some artifacts to the clean replay. That's also a pretty neat effect. Otherwise they could semi-modernize it and just have a little flatscreen. The TV in D2 was also showing little highlight reels.
But I agree, I think there needs to be a definitive line between what happens inside, and what happens outside so you don't run back and forth all the time. It should be a very smooth transition.
So, to think about it, the initial screen should be like WRC 6's or DR's, where straight away it asks for campaign, online, or custom. From there it should be able to all be run from the same environment. You could start in the RV like D2 near the bed, the manager could be sitting at the little table with paperwork and maps, allowing you to select the courses or championship you want to run, a little TV could be the saved/recent replay DVD/TiVo (Or whatever recording program thing), outside could have the vehicle selection table with the head mechanic like D2 had, but a little more refined. Not sure if I prefer DR's way of organizing by class, or by manufacturer. Either way, then have the vehicle sitting there all nice and pretty and let you walk around it. The settings menu could be with a tech guy next to all the computers and such. I think it'd work quite well. And if they did the same kind of menu system like WRC 6 but sped it up during the transitions it would still be quick.

I did ask the team about adding some features in dirt rally  when we visited pre release, one was just simply being able to see the car in the background of the repair vehicle screen with your engineers working on it, but they said it would come at the cost of bigger features like maybe stages or locations, or the snowbanks. Hopefully the guys will get a bit more freedom with the next game to add more 'showy' stuff like there was in the previous games (without making it all 'dude bro' this time of course!)
I now want them to make a character specifically dudebro, and just have all the other characters talk crap about him behind his back.

JZStudios said:
I did ask the team about adding some features in dirt rally  when we visited pre release, one was just simply being able to see the car in the background of the repair vehicle screen with your engineers working on it, but they said it would come at the cost of bigger features like maybe stages or locations, or the snowbanks. Hopefully the guys will get a bit more freedom with the next game to add more 'showy' stuff like there was in the previous games (without making it all 'dude bro' this time of course!)
I now want them to make a character specifically dudebro, and just have all the other characters talk crap about him behind his back.

so more or less Tanner Foust... If anyone knows his RL antics

Are menu visuals really that important?  If the menus drain resources, then I would place them way down the list of priorities 

KevM said:
Are menu visuals really that important?  If the menus drain resources, then I would place them way down the list of priorities 
Ha! I thought it was just me who was thinking that an awful lot of people seemed to be overly worried about the menus! I do agree that the menu(s) in DiRT 2 looked very stylish, though they were a little clunky in places and could have been a little more intuitive.

Personally I prefer simple, stripped back, menus, so I can spend the minimum time finding what I want and the maximum time racing. CMR 2005 sticks out in my mind as good, as the front end was very simple, though you did get a visual representation of the car at select points.

Something a little more involved in the next title would be a nice detail, but if the menus from DR were recycled in order to enable the team to spend more time elsewhere it wouldn't bother me in the slightest!

tbtstt said:
KevM said:
Ha! I thought it was just me who was thinking that an awful lot of people seemed to be overly worried about the menus! I do agree that the menu(s) in DiRT 2 looked very stylish, though they were a little clunky in places and could have been a little more intuitive.

Personally I prefer simple, stripped back, menus, so I can spend the minimum time finding what I want and the maximum time racing. CMR 2005 sticks out in my mind as good, as the front end was very simple, though you did get a visual representation of the car at select points.

Something a little more involved in the next title would be a nice detail, but if the menus from DR were recycled in order to enable the team to spend more time elsewhere it wouldn't bother me in the slightest!

KevM said:
I make jokes about this.  Black background, simple dev text in the middle of the screen.  Loading screens are black with the word "Loading" flashing in the corner.  They are "sufficient" for first parties.  Having some presentation is important and I hope that people do not take my flippant suggestions seriously.

I could care less about the  menu system when the real problem is the lack of locations. Sure menu's would be nice, but I can look past just about any menu if you give us more like 6-10 rx circuit layouts and have more of a WRC type layout for the Rally events.  So anywhere from 15-20 stages, with 12 or so different locations. Some head to head "special stages" would be sweet too like in the first Colin Mcrae Dirt.  A few more Hillclimb locations would be nice as well.  It would be nice to be racing some sort of ghost car on time trial events.  (hopefully the new game engine lets them do most of this)  I mean in the career they have the WRX championship seperate from the rally cross championship, so why not for the rally have the DRC (dirt rally championship) since they probably couldnt get rights to use WRC. Personally for a career mode, I loved the pyramid style in Colin Mcrae Dirt.  I think it could be improved upon, but it was a good base. As far as car development, I do enjoy the approach F1 2016 takes on it (yes it could be improved upon as well) but it would be nice to decide the development path of your car over the course of a season.  Would also love to see more defined terrains.  By this I mean stages that have deeper sand, snow or mud.  Mud and snow buildup on the cars and stages could be a lot better too.  Just look at how muddy Wales was year. You could barely tell what car was what after some stages because of the mud bath.  I wish dirt rally would have mud puddles and occasional snow drifts to have to negotiate.  Same with stage deformation...add some ruts and holes that develop as the rally continues over stages that are run one direction and then 3 stages later in reverse...same with having the racing line packed and smooth on gravel surfaces but if you get offline and wide in a corner you get in "deeper and looser" material and have to adjust cornering accordingly.  Once again look up the Wales rally this year.  Anyhow this post probably belongs in the suggestion thread and instead of going to far off track, I'm putting my vote on Dirt Rally 2.0 and cant wait to get an announcement like the rest of everyone! If you look at the pic of the manual its opened to 5.0...Dirt,Dirt2,Dirt3, Dirt showdown <does not count>, Dirt Rally, Dirt Rally 2.0 or whatever the title is(the 5th installment of dirt!) 

wfwr26 said:
I could care less about the  menu system when the real problem is the lack of locations. Sure menu's would be nice, but I can look past just about any menu if you give us more like 6-10 rx circuit layouts and have more of a WRC type layout for the Rally events.  So anywhere from 15-20 stages, with 12 or so different locations. Some head to head "special stages" would be sweet too like in the first Colin Mcrae Dirt.  A few more Hillclimb locations would be nice as well.  It would be nice to be racing some sort of ghost car on time trial events.  (hopefully the new game engine lets them do most of this)  I mean in the career they have the WRX championship seperate from the rally cross championship, so why not for the rally have the DRC (dirt rally championship) since they probably couldnt get rights to use WRC. Personally for a career mode, I loved the pyramid style in Colin Mcrae Dirt.  I think it could be improved upon, but it was a good base. As far as car development, I do enjoy the approach F1 2016 takes on it (yes it could be improved upon as well) but it would be nice to decide the development path of your car over the course of a season.  Would also love to see more defined terrains.  By this I mean stages that have deeper sand, snow or mud.  Mud and snow buildup on the cars and stages could be a lot better too.  Just look at how muddy Wales was year. You could barely tell what car was what after some stages because of the mud bath.  I wish dirt rally would have mud puddles and occasional snow drifts to have to negotiate.  Same with stage deformation...add some ruts and holes that develop as the rally continues over stages that are run one direction and then 3 stages later in reverse...same with having the racing line packed and smooth on gravel surfaces but if you get offline and wide in a corner you get in "deeper and looser" material and have to adjust cornering accordingly.  Once again look up the Wales rally this year.  Anyhow this post probably belongs in the suggestion thread and instead of going to far off track, I'm putting my vote on Dirt Rally 2.0 and cant wait to get an announcement like the rest of everyone! If you look at the pic of the manual its opened to 5.0...Dirt,Dirt2,Dirt3, Dirt showdown <does not count>, Dirt Rally, Dirt Rally 2.0 or whatever the title is(the 5th installment of dirt!) 
So wait, you could care less? or you couldn't care less?

F2CMaDMaXX said:
So wait, you could care less? or you couldn't care less?
I could or couldnt care less to care about caring less about it.

I personally like how people seem to think adding things like a schwanky menu system in locations they've already scouted somehow means the ENTIRE team must work on the menu system for 1-2 years, therefore cutting out all features and tracks. But damn that's a super nice menu right?
Actually a lot of people complain about features because it'll cut out tracks...
So... @CMMcBabe your best option is to actually go back and just make the game vector based like Asteroids, then there's as little focus as possible on silly things like features, graphics, and menu systems, and spend all you're time on making new tracks. You can even use your black screen with CMD line text saying loading on black, it'll match the rest of the game.
But then there might be arguments about what color to make the lines....
httpswhardencomwpimagesscreenshotsm2png
httpimageswebmagiccomklovcomscreensSxSpeed_Freakpng

No one else really looking forward to driving the new physics model that Paul mentioned a few months back?

KevM said:
No one else really looking forward to driving the new physics model that Paul mentioned a few months back?
That supposedly already made DR feeling "old"? Hell yeah!

Personally I'm most interested in tarmac and FFB. Gravel is already great. Some minor tweaks to that would be welcome ofc it it gets even better :)

I'd even be really interested to experience stages reprofiled to suit good ole V2.  Sweden is unreal in the current game.   Finland with less severe jumps and a narrower road with less room for error would be mighty

JZStudios said:

So... @CMMcBabe your best option is to actually go back and just make the game vector based like Asteroids

Nah, just the menu and loading screen.  It makes it simple and compliant with first party requirements.  I like the fancy graphics in gameplay.

KevM said:
100% do not care about the presentation of the menus beyond reducing the amount of clicks it takes to do common tasks (ex: saving and loading setups).

Playtest facility seems to be nearly finished:
https://twitter.com/Rushy33/status/793463188851421184
This is up at Codemasters Runcorn. Where we're setting up another playtest facility...

It's all systems go over here. ;)

tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:
Can you confirm if the invitees know who they are yet @ChristinaMc?
Most invitees don't know yet. :)
Thanks for the confirmation! Will the lucky few be viewing something this year, or will it be next year? 
Nice try Steve!

KevM said:
I'd even be really interested to experience stages reprofiled to suit good ole V2.  Sweden is unreal in the current game.   Finland with less severe jumps and a narrower road with less room for error would be mighty
Sweden unreal? Can't say I agree. Finland is another story though. Toned down jumps and more flow between the crests would be welcome. It's just a bumpy jumpfest at the moment.