DiRTy Gossip

Areyouben said:
Lol why is Milestone making a Rally game about someone who just stopped rallying?
Thats not the point. Every motorsport fan has heard of Loeb, while not as many would know Ogier?

True. Makes me wonder though why they would choose this name over the WRC name. Their announcement makes it sounds like they chose the name instead of loosing the WRC name/license.

:p Is @Jontucker moving to Milan (Italy) ?  
Headhunted by competitor / Rival in Italy or perhaps France?

I think 2015 will be excited for the game/ rally world! Wondering what the WRC license will do,
How will Codemasters react at Milestone's "Sebastian Loeb Rally EVO" game,
Is there really a new French game producer who will make the new WRC game?
And was that French game producer part of Milestone?

More gossip to follow in 2015 xD

I havnt paid much attention to the WRC games, but for the most of it havnt they been re-using locations? I'm wondering if this new Loeb game will be entirely new or whether it'll just be a re-skinned WRC?

Only French developers that I could imagine is Ivory Towers who made The Crew and Asobo Studio who made Fuel and also worked on The Crew I believe. But both of those games were arcady so a WRC sim from them is not something I would see coming any time soon.

Areyouben said:
Only French developers that I could imagine is Ivory Towers who made The Crew and Asobo Studio who made Fuel and also worked on The Crew I believe. But both of those games were arcady so a WRC sim from them is not something I would see coming any time soon.
It's not from them, it's from something like "Kylotonn Games". Yeah, I've never heard of them either. Link here: 
http://steamcommunity.com/app/256330/discussions/0/34093781628375583/

Basically Milestone made the WRC1-4 (and Powerslide), initially published by Black Bean (WRC1-3). Then the WRC license went over to BigBen Interactive, who used Milestone to develop WRC4. However BigBen then handed the license over to Kylotonn Games for 2015 onwards (maybe they were cheaper developers?!). 2014 only has a mobile WRC game, made by Firebrand (again published by BigBen).

I hope this clears things up! So, Milestone, not wanting to stop making rally games, instead licensed Loeb to carry on. A bit like previously licensed games Tommi Makkinen Rally, Colin McRae Rally, Richard Burns Rally, etc.

Really it's a shame they don't own the name of "Screamer", as they could make "Screamer Rally 2", given they made Screamer 1, 2 and Rally for Virgin, many years ago!

FYI Kylotonn's other racing games at the moment are Truck Racer (http://store.steampowered.com/app/256070/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1) and Motorcycle Club (http://store.steampowered.com/app/303830/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1), so perhaps WRC 2015 will follow a similarly arcade theme?

Areyouben said:
Lol why is Milestone making a Rally game about someone who just stopped rallying?
They're probably using him precisely because he's no longer in the WRC.
With him not racing anymore, they won't have to worry about violating any licenses to use him.

True. I just found out that they use him ingame as a mentor. "live the life of a rally driver and compete for a place on Sébastien Loeb’s team, where he will be your mentor and guide you through all the secrets of the sport."

Had a little sleuth on that Kylotonn Games site. Nothing that explicitly suggests a rally game coming from them but it does seem like the kind of company that might take one on. Artistically it looks more promising than the Milestone efforts. Again though, I still expect Codies' release will be the pick of the bunch.
http://www.kylotonngames.com/pages/home.php

http://www.kylotonngames.com/pages/technology.php

They certainly have the engine for it, and they claim to have been recruiting from big name companies (Crytek, Simbin etc)

Just wanted to thank you guys for the research and 'sleuthing' about the WRC, Sebastian Leob licenses, that clears up a lot.  So that takes care of speculation that Dirt4 will be the NEW official license for WRC, which is really ok with me, gives Codie's more freedom.  

Nooh too much teasing!  :'( http://blog.codemasters.com/community/12/codies-yearly-update-2014/

“Would it be inappropriate to brag about how proud I am of the game I’m working on? Too soon?

Probably should keep quiet.”

-          Steve Hughes,  Principal Programmer

“Watching the new handling take shape in my current project. And seeing or test drivers reacting to #ThatCar”

-          Jamie Lowes, Principal Programmer

“One of my proudest moments of 2014 was being part of the team charged with creating #ThatCar! Hats off to all the guys who gave a bit of their soul to give life to a monster.

-          Paul Blair, Games Designer (Car Handling)

Sorry gfRally, read my post above. Kylotonn Games are now the makers of next year's official WRC game.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
The more people making rally games, the happier I'm going to be, as long as they are all at least passable.

Milestone's games lacked in many areas, but the games were fun, and the stages they made were much closer to real life stages than the ones in Dirt 2 and Dirt 3.
I'm hoping Milestone's efforts will inspire Codemasters to do the same with their next offering.

ARCNoOne said:
Sorry gfRally, read my post above. Kylotonn Games are now the makers of next year's official WRC game.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
The more people making rally games, the happier I'm going to be, as long as they are all at least passable.

Milestone's games lacked in many areas, but the games were fun, and the stages they made were much closer to real life stages than the ones in Dirt 2 and Dirt 3.
I'm hoping Milestone's efforts will inspire Codemasters to do the same with their next offering.
I kinda need to follow up on my statement, after re-reading what I wrote, I wasn't very clear.  What I meant, was that it DIDNT look like Codie's had the license, and that I was ok with that. I think it's a good thing to not be tied down with a particular license.  That way they can add stuff like raid (which I like) and Rallycross and cars from other rally events around the world.  

Sorry I didn't get my point right, I type these on my phone, sometimes in haste at lunch, I should try to review more often.

Ah that's okay. I don't think Codemasters like having the restrictions of the actual license; Dirt3 had plenty of the real life WRC cars without the license for the series.

I personally think Codemasters can make a better rally game without the WRC license: they are free to pick and choose the best events from a variety of Championships, rather than having to stick to those on the WRC calendar only.

I would argue that the inclusion of World Rally Cars is a must though: so hopefully they can be licensed without issue again!

tbtstt said:
I personally think Codemasters can make a better rally game without the WRC license: they are free to pick and choose the best events from a variety of Championships, rather than having to stick to those on the WRC calendar only.

I would argue that the inclusion of World Rally Cars is a must though: so hopefully they can be licensed without issue again!
I was thinking about all this..  Look what has happened to the F1 20XX games, more than likely to hold the rights/license for the game they have had to keep putting out a new edition each year (not to mention that people want to play the new cars/tracks).  None the less, they have been cornered into doing this because of how F1 works, and thus the games have gotten crappy and pushed out.  So having a license and being pressured into an annual update is a lot to ask for from most companies/dev teams.

So a WRC license may even be a stupid thing to do.

That being said, putting out a nice trickle of DLCs over a year or more would be incredible.  I would have no problem paying $30us for some sort of DLC after a years time.  I mean give us a few here and there and then a large one every year or something.

Unfortunately this is not Codies business model, so I may as well wish for a Lambo in my driveway or heck the Millennium Falcon (if I am wishing for stuff that will never happen :smile: )   

Hi all,

Just wanted to pop on and wish you all a Merry Christmas from me and on behalf of Team DiRT.

You’ve all been awesome this year, seriously you’ve no idea what it’s meant having you guys chatting away on the forum and on Twitter trying to put together the various little pieces of the puzzle. Knowing you guys are here talking about what we’re doing and being excited about what we’re up to has got us through some really tough times this year and I just wanted to say thank you for that, I’m sure I’m not only speaking for myself when I say you’ve passed being “Community” and we really do consider you friends.

As you all know the tale of DiRT so far has been one hell of a story, full of highs and lows and it hasn’t even really started yet. You’re all part of our prologue though, you’re the guys in the service area helping us put the car together but I want to say a few special thanks to: 

Greg… To call you Mr Right-place-at-the-right time would be an understatement, you always seem to be there with some pearl of wisdom or some comment that lifts us up and spurs us on. Something which I never told you (or anybody actually), when you first started posting on the forums I genuinely thought you might have been Harvey in disguise - you just seemed to know too much and always happened to be in sync with what was going on lol. 

Hopefully you’ll share that video you made for us earlier in the year with the others because I think they’ll love it. I’d shown it to the team and they love it, there isn’t a week that goes by where somebody doesn't play it. It couldn’t be closer to what we’re trying to create and if it were up to me it would be the launch trailer.

Mastavonblasta… Master of Ceremonies, king of DiRTy gossip, you keep this place ticking over, you put together the bits of the puzzle for an ever changing picture.

Martjin… It was awesome meeting you this year and I hope to see you again soon, thank you for keeping our secrets and you’ve no idea how awesome it is having somebody who is actually a rally driver be part of this with us.

Steve, Luke, Michael… Having you guys down this year was great, probably one of my favourite test driver days (I think I’ve perfected the formula now - it ends with DiRTy Love). Everybody on the team loved meeting you, I’ll let you share your story of the day soon.

The Sullivan’s… I know Dad frequents the forums once in a while, again it was great to meet you this year and take lil Sullivan under our wing for a week of work experience. Knowing that something we made is shared by a father and son like it is with you two is amazing.

And to the rest of you thank you. At the start of this year we made a promise to ourselves (and in many ways to you) in the form of a charter and I know you’ve already seen parts of it in sneaky photos. It’s grown since then and its something that has transcended being just a bit of paper on the wall, it’s the building blocks of what we hope will be the game you all deserve.

Merry Christmas, Love DiRT.