DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

I'm personally kind of... disappointed I believe is the word? I expected a bigger and better DR in every aspect, not a DiRT3 with DR physics and graphics.

In other words I expected the content of DR to be expanded, improved, updated etc. along with the engine being upgraded. It's nice to see rally school, ladders, new game modes, Nicky Grist and the iconic cars but... it just seems like a rushed project to get the money flowing in while the hype for the rally sim is still high. I highly expected this game to be released in 2018, especially that development times increase due to the complexity of graphics and what not.

Also... I'm completely not hyped about the "track creator" tool. Part of the appeal to rally for me is being able to drive on the stages that reflect those that exist in real life, even if in a small extent. It adds to the immersion for me. Driving on a stage that has been generated by some algorithm will never provide the same level of immersion. I realise it's very healthy for game longevity and competitive side and all that stuff but... I'd prefer more locations and stages over this thing.

And yes, I'm butthurt about the lack of Monte Carlo :D
I agree about the stages. I'm also disapointed that they ditch the "real" stages.

And no Impreza GC8 WRC to be seen anywhere :(

I have a feeling many of the current cars are being left out as well if the game contains around 50 cars including the other diciplines.

Didn't take you much to go into "Sweet, new game! I wonder what they DIDNT put in this time!" mode.

:D I am really happy to see Spain and Australia, surprised at the expected content available in Landrush too. As long as the Physics are better, i'm happy.

Snaky115 said:
Didn't take you much to go into "Sweet, new game! I wonder what they DIDNT put in this time!" mode.

:D I am really happy to see Spain and Australia, surprised at the expected content available in Landrush too. As long as the Physics are better, i'm happy.
Yea. Human nature I guess ;)

bogani said:
Snaky115 said:

I'm just gonna start calling it "Dirt Floor".... all this arcade mode talk and combined leaderboard crap says to me they just want money, amd only listened to the community as much as they had to. Looks like back to the arcade for CM.

EDDSkitz said:
bogani said:
Snaky115 said:

I'm just gonna start calling it "Dirt Floor".... all this arcade mode talk and combined leaderboard crap says to me they just want money, amd only listened to the community as much as they had to. Looks like back to the arcade for CM.
Wow. You seem like a happy chap.

EDDSkitz said:
bogani said:
Snaky115 said:

Yeah, I bet they have had all the professional Rally Drivers there to improve the "arcade" feel of the game.

edit ...hope not...

bogani said:
EDDSkitz said:
bogani said:
Snaky115 said:

Wow. You seem like a happy chap.
Sure... because I'm the only one that feels this way.... glad they used my money wisely.

JLUO said:
EDDSkitz said:
bogani said:
Snaky115 said:

Yeah, I bet they have had all the professional Rally Drivers there to improve the "arcade" feel of the game.

edit ...hope not...
Doesn't matter how the car feels when some jerkoff neck beard is trying to play bumper cars.

My honest opinion about DiRT 4:

I'll buy it, don't know If it will be in June, but I was expecting a "true" DiRT Rally sequel focused on both Rally and Rallycross and like @RyuMakkuro said I wouldn't mind to wait until 2018 for the "next game".
I'll wait to read more info about it, but like @bogani said around 50 cars seems many of current cars are being left out and 5 Rally locations seems a bit low, I wish this time they release DLCs with locations (specially Finland and Monte Carlo).
About the new disciplines, I will probably drive them one or two times, I believe that can be fun, but it's not a must have for the game.
"Your stage" sounds interesting, but I will need to see more details about it, If it can create a realistic/accurate feeling then it will be a great adittion.
The improved Career and Rally School are without doubt great adittions.

About "Your Stage" for those who tried it out, it's just a temporary thing or can we save them and drive later? WIll it be part on the career?

Controversial opinion here. But I dont really care if it's real stages or not. I kinda felt it was a hindrence in dirt rally because of how accurate they had to be. Which resulted in fewer stages.

However. It's important that they take inpiration regarding the stage width and such. So I welcome the new stages, as long as the system works properly.

Azoresst said:
My honest opinion about DiRT 4: I'll buy it, don't know If it will be in June, but I was expecting a "true" DiRT Rally sequel focused on both Rally and Rallycross and like @RyuMakkuro said I wouldn't mind to wait until 2018 for the "next game". I'll wait to read more info about it, but like @bogani said around 50 cars seems many of current cars are being left out and 5 Rally locations seems a bit low, I wish this time they release DLCs with locations (specially Finland and Monte Carlo). About the new disciplines, I will probably drive them one or two times, I believe that can be fun, but it's not a must have for the game. "Your stage" sounds interesting, but I will need to see more details about it, If it can create a realistic feeling then it will be a great adittion. The improved Career and Rally School are without doubt great adittions. About "Your Stage" for those who tried it out, it's just a temporary thing or can we save them and drive later? WIll it be part on the career?
They didn't mention a pace note creator, and somehow I doubt they will manage to get the notes right. They have static stages in DR and they still couldn't get it right.

I'm confident the driving bit will be amazing, even more so than DR - because they've learned a lot, and I know the rally purists on the team will have done everything in their power to make the sim bit as authentic as possible. I just wish they'd have kept the real life stages.

Anyway, It'd be foolish not to buy this game as a rally fan.

2017 WRC cars might be exclusive to official WRC game only. Regarding lack of Monte Carlo, if all the 5 locations can be used to spawn unlimited tracks, then the Monte ones may not have fitted, with a huge cliff on the edge, as rendering all the distant scenery properly would have been a massive calculation/undertaking, if the track could be any shape!

Alright, DiRT 4 has been announced and it’s coming June 6th of this year. Wow! The earliest I was expecting was around September, maybe October, but early June? The team over at Codemasters has really been flooring it.

So, I’d like to give my personal thoughts on the announcement and what I think is good and bad, based on what has been revealed.

To begin, I’d like to start off with the title: DiRT 4. It’s not DiRT Rally 2, it’s DiRT 4. What is the deal with that, you ask? Well, when the game is called DiRT 4, I immediately start questioning the realism of the handling and the physics. As you all know, DiRT games have always been targeting a more mainstream audience. DiRT Rally was an outlier. This being another standard entry in the series kind of tells me that DiRT Rally’s success did not have the full effect in convincing the top brass that hardcore was the way to go. Forgive my skepticism but I don’t think this game will have better handling than DiRT Rally, despite the fact that it says Simulation on its Steam page. GRID Autosport also says it’s a simulation on its page but, having played it myself, I know that it’s what is called a “simcade” at best. Don’t get me wrong, a game does not necessarily need to have realistic handling to provide good gameplay, but after trying DiRT Rally, I feel like this could be a step back from the amazing progress that has been done.

Let’s now go through some points in the announcement data that I’d like to address. First we have and quote: “OVER 50 OF THE MOST BREATH-TAKING OFF-ROAD CARS EVER BUILT”. Now, when game developers state the car counts of their racing games, they like to do with round numbers, either ending in a 0 or a 5, and then they say “Over X cars”. This means the game will have, in this case, since the number is 50, somewhere between 51 and 54 cars. Also, note that it says “OFF-ROAD CARS”, which suggests the number is for all vehicles in game. That will include, not only rally, but also rallycross and landrush vehicles. This will imply a reduction, much to my disappointment, in the amount of rally cars in game. Don’t expect classes like F2 Kit-Cars to be coming back and, instead, expect more American classes such as Open to make an appearance again. It’s good to see the R5 class and proper Group N make an appearance but I fear for 2016 WRCs.

Next we have “5 INCREDIBLE RALLY LOCATIONS WITH MILLIONS OF ROUTES”. This is a feature that looks really awesome. I’m curious to see how they’re going to pull it off. Having a stage creator is cool but there are some things that will likely be hurt by it. The first one will location accuracy. We will no longer have real stages, we will have generated ones which means the road will probably be wider, more forgiving and have less road-side hazards since they’re not based on a real road. The fact that they won’t be based on real roads leads to a second issue: co-driver accuracy. If you’re going to generate stages on the fly, you will have generate the pacenotes for those stages on the fly as well. This means the notes will have to be more generic (like WRC 6) in order to better fit the very unpredictable nature of a new stage design. We will have more stage variety, that’s more than certain, but we’ll lose authenticity. In terms of locations chosen, I like all of them except Michigan because it was rather bland in DiRT 3. Why no Finland though? That rally is like the Holy Grail of the WRC, the Gravel GP, why miss it?

Next we have more rallycross and landrush which, as I said before will “eat into” the rally content because the number of total cars has not increased significantly over DiRT Rally but the number of classes for these sports has.

Looking forward to Joyride, I hope it has an offline mode.

Finally, Career Mode looks promising, hope we get a livery editor with it. With that said though, I hope all cars are unlocked from the beginning for Custom Event.

And that’s it, those are my main questions and concerns. Hope at least some of them are unfounded. I look forward to reading more about the new game.

According to the redbull article someone linked earlier you can save your stages and drive them in leagues and such.

Azoresst said:
My honest opinion about DiRT 4:

I'll buy it, don't know If it will be in June, but I was expecting a "true" DiRT Rally sequel focused on both Rally and Rallycross and like @RyuMakkuro said I wouldn't mind to wait until 2018 for the "next game". 
I'll most likely buy it as well here. But I can't say I'm excited for the game at this point. It's going to be more of the "oh, so it's released now, might as well play it after all" kind of thing. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a good game but... that's it. I'm almost certain we'll remember DR much better than we'll ever remember DiRT 4.

The content itself is really weird. From the screenshots and the small gameplay snippets, the stages don't seem to have changed dramatically graphics wise at least. So I'm really wondering, why in the seven hells they didn't put at least Monte Carlo in? I get the Finland with it's over the top jumps would require a tremendous amount of layout change, but what was wrong with Monte Carlo?
And if we won't be having 12+ minutes long stages now... I'm really going to put a "jump on a hype" sticker in my mind on this title. And I'm still butthurt about Monte Carlo, and I'll most likely be even if it's released in a DLC form.
Snaky115 said:
In my case it's more of a "Y U NO PUT MONTE CARLO IN?!" mode xD

There must have been some nightmare or weirdness involved to not have something that was there before, as ever. Like Toyota, which is 90% guaranteed to not be in this game, again.

Some more info from @KickUp here: https://www.facebook.com/fiaworldrallycross/videos/1488366324509190/

Etirion said:
That sounds very cool, what about the physics, do they feel different, better? More realistic? Longer stages?
Lots better, car weight feels miles better, braking distances are better, and cars no longer fly to the moon over bumps.

There is also an aracade handling mode available for those that prefer dirt 3 style handling. I didn't personally try it because I was only interested in the simulation handling, but others said it was good
This needs to be stickied for everyone worrying about weather or not this game will be sim or arcade...

So the track creator is very cool and will definitely help with the game staying alive longer.  But..

So we aren't getting hand modeled stages after real life ones anymore?  That paired with the pacenotes being recorded in real-time on a motion chassis was the best thing Dirt Rally did.  I hope it's not going back to fake stages with cued/robotic pace notes, at least for the non-track creator stages.

bogani said:
I agree about the stages. I'm also disapointed that they ditch the "real" stages.
No they didn't. Real tracks AND a track creator.
Azoresst said:
 About "Your Stage" for those who tried it out, it's just a temporary thing or can we save them and drive later? WIll it be part on the career?
Save and drive later, save and give to your mates so they can drive it later

As I said on the last page, the lack of Monte Carlo could be down to the procedurally generated tracks: the Monte ones may not have fitted, with a huge cliff on the edge, as rendering all the distant scenery properly would have been a massive calculation/undertaking, if the track could be any shape!