DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip

PJTierney

Message added by PJTierney

The more I see, the more excited I get!

Although that gamer-guy "DiRT Rally is too hard" was really annoying...  but if those hordes of casuals help to keep Codemasters in buissness, it's a good thing, since they can continue to cater to our enthusiast niche in the future.

One thing I noticed: 
I recognised that one hairpin, which was used in two different stages. That confirms it's a stitichg-parts-together process for Your Stage.
But the road behind that hairpin, although completly different in both cases, looked like a believable road you could encounter in real life. 
I can still see, that you will still learn those recognizable corners and how to drive them fastest once your playtime is in 3-digit hours, but not knowing what comes up behind the next crest/corner will still force you to closely listen to your Co-Driver. 
It probably also comes down to how many "pieces" they have for each location, for how often you will see familar bits and pieces

SkyRex said:
The more I see, the more excited I get!

Although that gamer-guy "DiRT Rally is too hard" was really annoying...  but if those hordes of casuals help to keep Codemasters in buissness, it's a good thing, since they can continue to cater to our enthusiast niche in the future.

One thing I noticed: 
I recognised that one hairpin, which was used in two different stages. That confirms it's a stitichg-parts-together process for Your Stage.
But the road behind that hairpin, although completly different in both cases, looked like a believable road you could encounter in real life. 
I can still see, that you will still learn those recognizable corners and how to drive them fastest once your playtime is in 3-digit hours, but not knowing what comes up behind the next crest/corner will still force you to closely listen to your Co-Driver. 
It probably also comes down to how many "pieces" they have for each location, for how often you will see familar bits and pieces
Yup, I'm hoping it's in the hundreds at least.  Because at that point like you said you might recognize that exact hairpin but it could be a left 1 or a left 6 after it so you can't just know the exact braking point and speed like you learn on the stages on dirt rally. 

Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
This thread has turned into Paul's Q&A :D Incredible that he's willing to answer our questions even though it's weekend!

@KickUp since you confirmed that the Evo X R4 is going to be in DiRT 4, have you guys fixed the interior of it so it's LHD with proper Motec display etc.? Also, hopefully it will have proper torque curve and stuff like that so it doesn't rev something like 7500rpm :) In real life they change gears at around 5000-5500rpm.
I build these engines for a living, red line is 7500 stock, and depending on turbo, als setup, etc... they will make power out past 10,500rpm.

Hell, my turbo doesn't even spool till 4300.
You build Evo X R4 engines for a living? Hmm, weird. I've seen and heard lots of Evo X R4's in real life and it's quite clear that they're not revving nearly as much as in DiRT Rally. Take a look at this video for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yEyEiO5lEw

The Evo X R4 should be driven with torque due to the nature of its engine in R4 spec. I know that there are some hill climb and rallycross Evo X's that easily rev over 7500rpm, but that's due to completely different rules. But watching that video you can quite clearly see how "wrong" the Evo X is in DiRT Rally so that's why I hope it would be more accurate in DiRT 4 :)
I see what you're saying, they are just driving it like that to keep it in the torque band... look at the actual Rev meter in the middle, running about halfish.... 

And I'll be running some races in a bit, but I felt the Evo would drive like this in the game too, I'll check.

SkyRex said:

One thing I noticed: 

This^^

While the inevitability of learning the tiles after enough gameplay is true, it's the randomness of how they are placed together, combined with the changeable weather, that will keep the game fresh for me.

+ the fact that I've already played it, and it's fucking awesome!

To those who have played and are familiar with RBR NGP, how similar are the handling models to each other?

I'll be honest and say I've not played RBR with the NGP mod since January 2015, so I have no idea how the NGP mod has evolved since then.

But from my memory of the NGP mod, D4 physics are in a class of their own. But then, in most areas for me, the DiRT Rally physics were a step up from the NGP.

urgaffel said:
dwkGravey said:
Any hints about the career mode's "create your driver"? @urgaffel hinted at customizable racing suits. Customizable face or gender? Can we make our own Michèle Mouton or Nasser Al-Attiyah? Player name and flag on the window?
Just for you: https://twitter.com/dirtgame/status/825062522097123328
Cannot wait, GRID's team management was so good. Looking forward to hearing more about the driver customization.

EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
This thread has turned into Paul's Q&A :D Incredible that he's willing to answer our questions even though it's weekend!

@KickUp since you confirmed that the Evo X R4 is going to be in DiRT 4, have you guys fixed the interior of it so it's LHD with proper Motec display etc.? Also, hopefully it will have proper torque curve and stuff like that so it doesn't rev something like 7500rpm :) In real life they change gears at around 5000-5500rpm.
I build these engines for a living, red line is 7500 stock, and depending on turbo, als setup, etc... they will make power out past 10,500rpm.

You build Evo X R4 engines for a living? Hmm, weird. I've seen and heard lots of Evo X R4's in real life and it's quite clear that they're not revving nearly as much as in DiRT Rally. Take a look at this video for example:

The Evo X R4 should be driven with torque due to the nature of its engine in R4 spec. I know that there are some hill climb and rallycross Evo X's that easily rev over 7500rpm, but that's due to completely different rules. But watching that video you can quite clearly see how "wrong" the Evo X is in DiRT Rally so that's why I hope it would be more accurate in DiRT 4 :)
I see what you're saying, they are just driving it like that to keep it in the torque band... look at the actual Rev meter in the middle, running about halfish.... 

And I'll be running some races in a bit, but I felt the Evo would drive like this in the game too, I'll check.
Yeah I see :) So maybe there should be a lot less torque than there currently is after 5500rpm, so we would actually need to drive like in that video to be quick? That's what I meant with a more accurate torque curve, because I feel like the Evo X revs way too easily to that 7500rpm point... I might be wrong though, you seem to have a lot more experience with those cars in real life.

Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:

Yeah I see :) So maybe there should be a lot less torque than there currently is after 5500rpm, so we would actually need to drive like in that video to be quick? That's what I meant with a more accurate torque curve, because I feel like the Evo X revs way too easily to that 7500rpm point... I might be wrong though, you seem to have a lot more experience with those cars in real life.
Our auto boxes now shift at peak torque. 

KickUp said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:

Will we be able to see torque figures this time?

KickUp said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:

That's good to hear for those who use auto gearboxes :) I use H-shifter with manual clutch though, so the shifting is of course up to me. I've actually been shifting at the torque peak point in DiRT Rally too but I just feel like there's too much torque after that peak point. Maybe it's just me though!

KickUp said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:

I actually noticed the Subaru on show on Thursday was shifting at quite low RPM, wasn't redlining at all but that was probably down to the setup plus not release build :)

Interesting reading here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dirt-4-is-more-evidence-that-codemasters-is-back-on-track

Quick question, @KickUp ! Will there be VR support from the day of release? :) 

I was wondering, with the tile-based approach, is it possible to do wide open vistas/big changes in height? One of the nice things about DiRT Rally (and previous DiRT games) were the wide open areas, but I can imagine that making tiles stick together and render off into the distance may be mutually incompatible!

I like it when you can see a bit of distance outside of the tracks in the Australia demo footage, it makes it feel less like tunnels of walls/smoke and mirrors to hide the tiling.

Related to this: will there be any unique tiles to each area? For example, previous Australia stages in McRae/DiRT often featured either a road train truck or a piece of pipeline. These sort of features make the tracks feel a bit less copy-and-pasted. Are you looking to put in unique-ish elements to help the tracks feel more alive/natural?

It's very interesting stuff. And it seems to load the stages faster than Racecraft (the game on Steam that auto-generates whole F1 style circuits from variables you choose).

KickUp said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:

I actually noticed the Subaru on show on Thursday was shifting at quite low RPM, wasn't redlining at all but that was probably down to the setup plus not release build :)
no matter how it is people will short shift.not everyone drives the same.also depends how you have the car system set up.nice that theyve looked into things.

Will cars with dogboxes now be able to shift without using the clutch when using the manual h shifter + clutch? 

KickUp said:
Busterbvi said:
KickUp said:
Busterbvi said:
Busterbvi said:
@KickUp.  I would just like to underline Roger Davies's comments and thank you for being on here interacting with us late on a Saturday night and handling our queries in your own time, beyond the call of duty Sir ! and appreciated. I don't want to sound like a stuck record but I asked on here yesterday if we are finally going to get a period works Group 4 Escort RS1800 ? This iconic and much loved car rightly deserves its place in D4. 

@KickUp.  Nice to see you back here on a Sunday, great stuff !  I have posted twice over this weekend with a question on the Mk2 Escort, it appears you wont be drawn on it so one last try while your'e about, can you comment on giving us a Group 4 RS1800  in D4?

Sadly not
Sadly not, meaning cant comment or the RS1800 is not going to happen ?

A bit of both but let's just say it's very hard to convince people that we need another Mk2 Escort. 
But there were 5!!! Ford Fiestas in DiRT3. And, actually, 2 MKII Escorts as well :D (Although I wouldn't mind a MKI Escort either)

KickUp said:
JLUO said:
789ifyz said:
Before I forget (again), does PvP include Splitscreen and LAN Party?
...and hotseat?

You know, this thing: https://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/4/613957600523336141/
Its been designed but it's unlikely to make the main game. Whether it's included post release or not hasn't been decided. 
I really hope you decide to include it @KickUp It's a great feature, played it all the time in RBR.

dgeesi0 said:
KickUp said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:

no matter how it is people will short shift.not everyone drives the same.also depends how you have the car system set up.nice that theyve looked into things.
I mean it was in 5th gear at about 50mph which in a road car is normal but for a rally car it seems very short. I imagine it probably just was a setup thing, not a big deal.

Wonder if the guys plan to roll the new physics settings into DiRT Rally?  Id like that...

KevM said:
Wonder if the guys plan to roll the new physics settings into DiRT Rally?  Id like that...
that would be cool, and with the new game having the same engine, maybe even possible :D 

KickUp said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:
EDDSkitz said:
Jepsertti said:

This is on purpose.  The car has lower torque so it needs to short shift to maintain power.  Some of the cars in Rally had the same setup.

Yeah, in real life, R4 cars & Grp N Evo's dont rev out, they just produce a ball of torque