DiRTy Gossip

SO @KickUp - great you're on this QA spree! Ever since Oculus Rift made the public, I haven't been gaming DiRT Rally or any other compatible racing games in another way. Will I have to go back to gaming on a screen again for DiRT 4?

Oh to the long serving guys of this forum. 

I found Mr DiRT Rally is arcade popcorn on Facebook  :D
I'm so glad that in June we'll get another game designed for POPCORN PLAYERS!

@JZStudios that was great!  But, I think I misquoted here is the video:
https://youtu.be/0MYxBuVvN0M
Same basic premise, but this one is real.

Benniz said:
SO @KickUp - great you're on this QA spree! Ever since Oculus Rift made the public, I haven't been gaming DiRT Rally or any other compatible racing games in another way. Will I have to go back to gaming on a screen again for DiRT 4?
I can't confirm at this stage. It might have to be post launch. 

KickUp said:
human1101 said:
@KickUp  what class will that white 205 in the of screen gameplay videos be in?
Our class system has changed a bit so it is in a H2 Historic FWD class

Not going to lie, I find this change very intriguing... Look forward to hearing more.

bogani said:

I also hope they won't go overboard with the retired vehichles on the side of the road. Like 4 every stage ;)
This.
Don't worry. We'll be measured in our approach to these things. Obviously we wanted to show it off in the demo but when it comes to the real thing they should be less frequent.
That said I once did a stage on the Malcolm Wilson Rally where there were around 6 retired cars in various states and positions. 

KickUp said:
human1101 said:
@KickUp  what class will that white 205 in the of screen gameplay videos be in?
Our class system has changed a bit so it is in a H2 Historic FWD class

Not going to lie, I find this change very intriguing... Look forward to hearing more.
Without going into too much detail we've divided the classes into performance rather than their decade. It means for example that the Stratos and Alpine get put up against more powerful stuff. 

@KickUp  I know that not all cars from DiRT Rally will be coming to the new game. About the classic cars, will there also be some absentees?
I don't think so. Pretty sure it's just additions with the historical cars. 

KickUp said:

That said I once did a stage on the Malcolm Wilson Rally where there were around 6 retired cars in various states and positions. 

Wow, tough stage. You saw 6 retired cars, but there could have been even more. What if a car falls into the trees on a ravine and is hanging, out of sight from the road? Thanks for the note.

EDIT: Great to hear of the historical cars! Good luck with the R5 and WRCs :) I've posted some suggestions on the wishlist thread, if you aren't, or haven't, already considered it ;)

I have a few questions & concerns for CodeMasters ( @KickUp @ChristinaMc ) about DiRT 4 based on what I've seen/read so far:

(I apologize if these have already been addressed - I can't keep up with the recent explosion of posts across threads all over the forum & the internet regarding DiRT 4.)

• Can players experiment with learning the more challenging sim-like driving physics without the buzzkill of more punishing game penalties (like having your run through an event completely ended just because of a minor error/mishap)?

• Is player progression slowed based on selected options (assists, rewinds, restarts, etc.)? It seems silly (to me) to try to appeal to those seeking a fun/casual experience by making them grind more if they choose fun/casual options.
Long grinding ≠ fun/casual.

• I really hope there are not any trick/drift/stunt/demolition-based events or achievements/trophies in DiRT 4. When motorsport games encourage/incentivize any form of reckless driving, it can poison PvP multiplayer modes by giving many players the impression that the game is meant to be played with unsportsmanlike disregard for opponents.

• Are the stages produced by "Your Stage" randomized by parameter-driven procedural-generation? Or are the results from identical parameter combinations globally constant - if all players select the exact same stage parameters that everyone else selects, does "Your Stage" generate the exact same stage for every player every time?

• How are you addressing competitive balance among the cars in each class? It's not uncommon for motorsport games to have just 1 car in each class that generally gets more wins for more players than any other car in the same class, making it almost pointless to drive anything else if you want to win.

• How are you improving RaceNet reliability for DiRT 4?

Thanks

(Please no speculative pseudo-answers from forum members who can only guess with uncertain responses like "I would think" or "I assume" or "I'm pretty sure" etc.)

Alf72 said:

@KickUp

- There will be any " unique Pace Notes"? Like ex: Co-Driver yelling at us when we crash, or congratulating us when we beat a Stage Time... That kind of stuff. If yes, please make sure they will only play once in awhile, or they won't be "unique" anymore.

- Apart from Competitors crashed on the side of the Stage, there will be any Wild Life ( or any other kind of Random Events ) crossing the Stages? This kind of litle ( big ) details is what makes the immersion even bigger, me thinks :p

Thank you so much for all the answers to all of us, really appreciated :)

Co driver = you'll have to wait and see ;)

There will be other moments. 

KickUp said:

Wow, tough stage. You saw 6 retired cars, but there could have been even more. What if a car falls into the trees on a ravine and is hanging, out of sight from the road? Thanks for the note.
https://youtu.be/_RqS7G4Nor8

hehehe

bobradar said:
@KickUp

First of all, I wanted to thank you and your team for being so involved with the community with the development of DiRT. My experience with Dirt Rally Early Access was so refreshing, and made me feel like a part of the team.

A few questions if you've got the time and are able to comment on:
  1. Will we see a return of the 60's FWD cars in the historic rally, specifically the Mini Cooper S?
  2. Will the ability to change controller bindings and game preferences mid-race still be available? i.e. switch from auto to manual gears, change FOV, etc
  3. Have the FOV, and camera adjustments on PC been tweaked to allow for further adjustments compared to D.R.?
  4. Are there any plans to include special liveries for owners of DiRT Rally and/or D.R. Early Access participants?
  5. Can we choose weather conditions and time of day for the Joyride mode at DirtFish?
Thank you so much!

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Tweaked but whether it's enough for your requirements I don't know
4. Maybe - more likely they will be Pre Order incentives though
5. There will be different conditions depending on the challenges. 

KickUp said:

bogani said:

I also hope they won't go overboard with the retired vehichles on the side of the road. Like 4 every stage ;)
This.
Don't worry. We'll be measured in our approach to these things. Obviously we wanted to show it off in the demo but when it comes to the real thing they should be less frequent.

Yeah, when you've got 150+ cars on a national event, you'd be surprised how many you may pass off in a stage, especially if you're running near the back. My worst memory is seeing spectators slowing us down, then spying a sorry looking 6R4 well off the stage in the trees. I shed a tear or two before I remembered I was supposed to be reading notes

zoliRX said:
Hey, @KickUp! Can you (possibly) confirm that the PPIHC license is now exclusive to another developer/game and if it's the reason for its' absence?

The Eurogamer article got me intrigued.  
Yes, we signed it for DiRT Rally before it went exclusive but we can't use it anymore. 

KickUp said:
Benniz said:
I can't confirm at this stage. It might have to be post launch. 
Looks promising, as long as it's coming it's fine by me, or am I reading too much into things now :)

@KickUp Just a quick question... Will there be sliders for both gamepad analog steering sensitivity and linearity in the advanced controller options like in DR? Also both from 0-100 scale?

Thanks!

Operator1 said:

I have a few questions & concerns for CodeMasters ( @KickUp @ChristinaMc ) about DiRT 4 based on what I've seen/read so far:

(I apologize if these have already been addressed - I can't keep up with the recent explosion of posts across threads all over the forum & the internet regarding DiRT 4.)

I • Can players experiment with learning the more challenging sim-like driving physics without the buzzkill of more punishing game penalties (like having your run through an event completely ended just because of a minor error/mishap)?

2• Is player progression slowed based on selected options (assists, rewinds, restarts, etc.)? It seems silly (to me) to try to appeal to those seeking a fun/casual experience by making them grind more if they choose fun/casual options.

3• I really hope there are not any trick/drift/stunt/demolition-based events or achievements/trophies in DiRT 4. When motorsport games encourage/incentivize any form of reckless driving, it can poison PvP multiplayer modes by giving many players the impression that the game is meant to be played with unsportsmanlike disregard for opponents.

4• Are the stages produced by "Your Stage" randomized by parameter-driven procedural-generation? Or are the results from identical parameter combinations globally constant - if all players select the exact same stage parameters that everyone else selects, does "Your Stage" generate the exact same stage for every player every time?

5• How are you addressing competitive balance among the cars in each class? It's not uncommon for motorsport games to have just 1 car in each class that generally gets more wins for more players than any other car in the same class, making it almost pointless to drive anything else if you want to win.

6• How are you improving RaceNet reliability for DiRT 4?

Thanks

(Please no speculative pseudo-answers from forum members who can only guess with uncertain responses like "I would think" or "I assume" or "I'm pretty sure" etc.)

1. Absolutely. You can go full sim but set all the assists and difficulty to easy or go for Gamer handling and set everything to max difficulty. 

2. No, the balancing is carefully measured so that it should never feel like a grind

3. Joyride mode is based on skill and is against the clock. We'll be punishing overly aggressive players online too

4. Randomised, so using the same parameters as your friend will result in different stages being generated. If you like a stage you'll be able to share it and it will be identical. 

5. Our car classes are being reworked to make them based on engine size and drivetrain rather than the year when they were made. They will be closer as a result. 

6. Feeding the hamster that powers the server with higher protein food. 

KickUp said:
Operator1 said:

I • Can players experiment with learning the more challenging sim-like driving physics without the buzzkill of more punishing game penalties (like having your run through an event completely ended just because of a minor error/mishap)?

2• Is player progression slowed based on selected options (assists, rewinds, restarts, etc.)? It seems silly (to me) to try to appeal to those seeking a fun/casual experience by making them grind more if they choose fun/casual options.

3• I really hope there are not any trick/drift/stunt/demolition-based events or achievements/trophies in DiRT 4. When motorsport games encourage/incentivize any form of reckless driving, it can poison PvP multiplayer modes by giving many players the impression that the game is meant to be played with unsportsmanlike disregard for opponents.

4• Are the stages produced by "Your Stage" randomized by parameter-driven procedural-generation? Or are the results from identical parameter combinations globally constant - if all players select the exact same stage parameters that everyone else selects, does "Your Stage" generate the exact same stage for every player every time?

5• How are you addressing competitive balance among the cars in each class? It's not uncommon for motorsport games to have just 1 car in each class that generally gets more wins for more players than any other car in the same class, making it almost pointless to drive anything else if you want to win.

Thanks

1. Absolutely. You can go full sim but set all the assists and difficulty to easy or go for Gamer handling and set everything to max difficulty. 

2. No, the balancing is carefully measured so that it should never feel like a grind

3. Joyride mode is based on skill and is against the clock. We'll be punishing overly aggressive players online too

4. Randomised, so using the same parameters as your friend will result in different stages being generated. If you like a stage you'll be able to share it and it will be identical. 

5. Our car classes are being reworked to make them based on engine size and drivetrain rather than the year when they were made. They will be closer as a result. 

Thank you very much for those answers.

Just one more small question/request (for now):

Will you display the total number of entries on each leaderboard? I really like to know if I'm #800 out of 900, or #800 out of 8,000.  B)

TPJP said:
@KickUp Just a quick question... Will there be sliders for both gamepad analog steering sensitivity and linearity in the advanced controller options like in DR? Also both from 0-100 scale?

Thanks!
Pretty sure there will be

Operator1 said:

KickUp said:
Operator1 said:

Thanks

Thank you very much for those answers.

Just one more small question/request (for now):

Will you display the total number of entries on each leaderboard? I really like to know if I'm #800 out of 900, or #800 out of 8,000.  B)

Cool idea. We will have our own leaderboards so I'll ask

Operator1 said:

Lol yea I'm pressing 'go to top' or what it's called and pressing 'up' once now to see how many entries there are, just showing it would be a lot easier lol. I remember having to do that in DiRT 2 as well.