DiRTy Gossip

Azoresst said:
Just saw this one now, nice interview to read:

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/829395500621320208

But the most interesting question, IMO, was this one:

LMSA : Will you model Luke Harvey’s Peugeot 106 GTI in DiRT 4? Do you have any future projects as co-driver or as driver ?
PC :
Sadly not, we have introduced the Peugeot 205 GTI as there are probably more of those used in junior competitions than the 106. I’m hoping to do some more co driving with Luke or Jon Tucker later this year or early in 2018. Hopefully I can get a few more finishes because I’m hoping to upgrade to an International FIA Navigator license soon.

Sadly we won't see @Rallycameraman Peugeot, but @KickUp plans for the International FIA Navigator license sounds awesome!

Now that's seriously cool they asked about that! Perks of having Paul in the car I guess  :D

hoping he'll be back in with me for a rally in May :) 

Serious rally cred, there, Luke :)

Benniz said:
@KickUp - Surely it can't be too hard to license our lovely Knut? A 1999 Nissan Almera GTi? :wink:
Maybe the first DLC should be Rally cars from the Codemasters community?

Benniz said:
@KickUp - Surely it can't be too hard to license our lovely Knut? A 1999 Nissan Almera GTi? :wink:
Maybe the first DLC should be Rally cars from the Codemasters community?
*Cough* MG ZR *Cough*

So jealous of you all who are able to drive rally in real life. Being a poor student, this image describes my current situation in terms of rally driving:

Jepsertti said:
So jealous of you all who are able to drive rally in real life. Being a poor student, this image describes my current situation in terms of rally driving:

Hence, the DiRT franchise!  :)

KevM said:
Hence, the DiRT franchise!  :)
Seriously, rally games have always been my closest connection to the sport, and DR improved that experience immeasurably. I don't often get excited about games, but being excited about Dirt 4 means being excited about rally, so you'd better believe I'm excited!

Jepsertti said:

I'm only just out the poor student phase, will hopefully be in the poor rally car owner phase soon! For now I'll have to stay in the passenger seat

Jepsertti said:

Try and get a VR headset. It's bloody awesome. Closes you'll get to the feeling of the real thing

Jepsertti said:

Try and get a VR headset. It's bloody awesome. Closes you'll get to the feeling of the real thing
Really?  Its THAT good @Rallycameraman ?  I 've never tried VR since it seems so low res, used brother-in-law's GearVR it was nice, but I have no baseline for a PC game.

gfRally said:
Jepsertti said:

Really?  Its THAT good @Rallycameraman ?  I 've never tried VR since it seems so low res, used brother-in-law's GearVR it was nice, but I have no baseline for a PC game.

The fun thing is, the Samsung phones do in fact have significantly higher resolution than the Vive.

gfRally said:
Jepsertti said:

It really is good, the screen quality is limited as well as the FOV but you do feel like you're in the car especially because you can look around you naturally and after a few minutes you don't really notice it. Will be difficult to go back to the screen however I'm willing to do so for Dirt 4 on release :P

gfRally said:
Jepsertti said:

It is. When you look around, all you see is rally car (and the outside). Everything is in 3D, not like a shitty 3D TV, actual proper 3D. 
When you're drifting through corners, you can keep looking where you're going. In rallycross, you can look around, see cars driving around you. I don't really know how to describe it in words, because it's so good, but to me it felt like a new better version of DiRT Rally when I first played it, and it still does. And I'm playing on low/medium settings.

You don't really notice the lower resolution of the display. I've tried on the first development kit at some event, that was unplayable to me, you could actually count the pixels, but on CV1, the immersion is to immersive to even notice.
 When I get a new GPU and can play on ultra, and throw in some super sampling, the quality be even better, so I'll basically be playing an even 'newer' version of DiRT Rally then.

Can't agree more, I didn't play DR as much as I used just before the Rift patch and then it was like a new game. Immmerssssiionnnn! It is actually the reason I haven't bought F1 2017, I have Assetto Corsa for my (albeit limited) F1 and track needs (and occasionally Project CARS if I want pretty graphics and average handling)

Can't agree more, I didn't play DR as much as I used just before the Rift patch and then it was like a new game. Immmerssssiionnnn! It is actually the reason I haven't bought F1 2017, I have Assetto Corsa for my (albeit limited) F1 and track needs (and occasionally Project CARS if I want pretty graphics and average handling)
Yup I was gonna get F1 2016 if it had VR support, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen...

Yup I was gonna get F1 2016 if it had VR support, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen...
I meant 2016 xD No not at this point unfortunately, hopefully PSVR is successful for DR so they can decide that its worth it for future titles, racing games and flight sims are no brainers for VR

I can see PSVR as a whole doing well.  However the Vive/Occulus, I think are having a hard time.  

There is quite an investment in the headset $500 + is just beyond that threshold for many, also you have to have a decent PC to run it properly.  BestBuy over here isn't selling much and they are taking their Occulus Demo stations out of some stores, due to lack of interest, but I think that is BestBuy's fault, appointments to try???? really?? 

I really really want this tech to take off, but its once again the chicken/egg syndrome between dev support and headset sales.

gfRally said:
I can see PSVR as a whole doing well.  However the Vive/Occulus, I think are having a hard time.  

There is quite an investment in the headset $500 + is just beyond that threshold for many, also you have to have a decent PC to run it properly.  BestBuy over here isn't selling much and they are taking their Occulus Demo stations out of some stores, due to lack of interest, but I think that is BestBuy's fault, appointments to try???? really?? 

I really really want this tech to take off, but its once again the chicken/egg syndrome between dev support and headset sales.
Its still in relative infancy but they've made headway in requiring less PC power to run it since release using some cool software. At the moment it is a high cost so the enthusiasts are the ones who have invested more into it but its like the home PC when that came out, only the rich and enthusiastic had them and now everyone and their mother has them.

I have heard about the Oculus demo stations being garbage, I never tried one in the UK so can't comment. The people I've demoed mine to have loved it but have said that its too much money for them to get one at the moment however most of these people who tried it weren't gamers.

Oculus/Facebook are dumping tonnes of money into developers to get games released with a full FPS game coming to the Rift and Touch for free this year made by Epic Games so is going to be great. For developers to turn a profit currently, they would have to sell their games for around $200 per copy so this is why Oculus are handing out money to get these released. Bills have to be paid after all.

Its got a while to go but I really do hope it takes off. I say all this but haven't used my rift much at all in the last month or so but I've been quite busy and bought our first big 4K tv :D

So do you guys think we'll get a roadbook today? It's been two weeks since the last one.
I think poor Paul has used up every last shred of disclosable information by way of Q&A over the past fortnight, so they might be short on material -  :D

@KickUp

I know it's not possible to get the WRC licenced cars into DiRT4, but were do VW stand?

Their not in the WRC anymore and as far as I know, the 2017 Polo isn't even eligible for the new WRC season as they didn't manage to get it homologated. So does it still fall under the WRC licence? If not, would VW entertain the idea of you licencing the new 2017 Polo for DiRT4? :)

Would be awesome to have one of the new cars in DiRT4!

Sorry if this question has already been asked and answered.

gfRally said:

None of my best buys ever even had it. They have the gearVR though. I'm still a big skeptic to VR. Right now my big complaint is (Exactly the same problem with 3D (Which gives the exact same effect)) convergence. In reality you're eyes switch focal distances all the time, but in VR it's pretty fixed... unless they use something like ray tracing shooting out from the center of each eye to dynamically focus. Not sure if anyone/anything does that though.
If they could put an eye tracker inside the headset to measure you're eyes and everything for you that'd be neat.
Edit*
I'm still not convinced the VR will take off right now. Back when 3D came out it was much the same cost and all the major rage, but died SUPER quick. Very few games actually supported it, so most (Much like with the Vive) needed to be modded. Now pretty much everybody has hardware able to run it... or at least for some of the older games. The monitors used to be like $600, but are now less than $200.

Evilsmurf said:

@KickUp

I know it's not possible to get the WRC licenced cars into DiRT4, but were do VW stand?

Their not in the WRC anymore and as far as I know, the 2017 Polo isn't even eligible for the new WRC season as they didn't manage to get it homologated. So does it still fall under the WRC licence? If not, would VW entertain the idea of you licencing the new 2017 Polo for DiRT4? :)

Forza even lost VW. They seem to be a bit weird lately.

Evilsmurf said:

@KickUp

It's a fair question, though I wonder at what cost the inclusion of the Polo would come at... and whether it would be worth it to add a car in a class of it's own.