DiRTy Gossip

KickUp said:
@KickUp Will the location chosen influence how complex or how fluid a stage can be?

Yes, each location will have its own characteristics that will determine these factors.

@KickUp Very interesting. Based on this, which locations would you consider slow rallies and which would you consider fast rallies?
If the rallies reflect real life none of them would be considered slow like Greece/Monte in DR.

With 13km max stage length the really fast stages won't last that long. Would be nice to have at least the length of the finnish stages when generating fast roads.

Oh my goodness I'm getting way too excited. I haven't pre-ordered a game since early Star Citizen days. Must. Pre-order. This.
(Starts internal dialogue about not letting the hype get out of control).

@KickUp will the special editions of D4 be for sale everywhere this time or still too early to tell? DR steelbook wasn't available online and in certain countries unfortunately.

dgeesi0 said:
will there be a demo before release ?          
Probably not. I would rather focus on getting the game finished. We might cut a demo post launch but no promises. 

chukonu said:
Will we see footage of a location that isn't Australia before the end of the month? <:
There is some Nevada footage available isn't there?

Its probably going to be a few more weeks before we show anything more. 

sqdstr said:
@KickUp are the engine sounds of new cars in D4 recorded from the real ones? Or cars coming from DR that didn't have their authentic sound yet?
Depends on what our audio team could get access to. I know they had some cars from DR that they managed to secure better recordings for D4 for. 

KickUp said:
@KickUp Will the location chosen influence how complex or how fluid a stage can be?

Yes, each location will have its own characteristics that will determine these factors.

@KickUp Very interesting. Based on this, which locations would you consider slow rallies and which would you consider fast rallies?
Michigan is probably the fastest as it has faster flowing corners and less harsh edges. Spain is also pretty quick due to asphalt although it has sharper more technical bends. Wales and Australia can be fast and flowing or technical. Sweden is probably slower as its narrower with snow banks. In fact Kris Meeke commented that it was more narrow than the majority of the Swedish stages he is used to. 

sqdstr said:
@KickUp will the special editions of D4 be for sale everywhere this time or still too early to tell? DR steelbook wasn't available online and in certain countries unfortunately.
I have no control over which territories get what editions and where things are available. For DiRT Rally I actually went out to a local Supermarket and bought a bunch of Steelbooks for people in countries that never got them. Give me your bank details and I'll happily do the same for D4 if you can't get what you want where you want it  >:)

KickUp said:
sqdstr said:
@KickUp are the engine sounds of new cars in D4 recorded from the real ones? Or cars coming from DR that didn't have their authentic sound yet?
Depends on what our audio team could get access to. I know they had some cars from DR that they managed to secure better recordings for D4 for. 

Happiness envelops my face.

Will  people be able to mod skins for the cars like in DR. If so will you be able to use the same skins if the car is in the new game. If you can add skins then will there be more car base colours to add skins to.
Kenny

Kenny1962 said:
Will  people be able to mod skins for the cars like in DR. If so will you be able to use the same skins if the car is in the new game. If you can add skins then will there be more car base colours to add skins to.
Kenny
I don't know the full technical details but I believe the system will be pretty much the same from a mod perspective. So skins made in DiRT Rally should work on those in DiRT 4. 

That said shaders and other technical bits have changed so while the design of the skin should translate there is a good chance it will need some tweaking to work perfectly. 

KickUp said:
KickUp said:

Michigan is probably the fastest as it has faster flowing corners and less harsh edges. Spain is also pretty quick due to asphalt although it has sharper more technical bends. Wales and Australia can be fast and flowing or technical. Sweden is probably slower as its narrower with snow banks. In fact Kris Meeke commented that it was more narrow than the majority of the Swedish stages he is used to. 
I have a question regarding the sliders. Will a low complexity track translate to a faster stage, and a high complexity translate to a more technical stage? Or is it dependant on the location?

For example can I make a technical stage in Michigan and a fast stage in Sweden?

@KickUp  should be sent tons of cookies AND be awarded with some kind of a new award best-gamers-friendly-developer-of-the-decade-year-all-time. 
Thank you for your openess again. 

I do know there are some nice new recordings for engine audio, and in case it wasn't clear, the R5 is of an actual R5, that I'm aware of.

KickUp said:
KickUp said:

I have a question regarding the sliders. Will a low complexity track translate to a faster stage, and a high complexity translate to a more technical stage? Or is it dependant on the location?

For example can I make a technical stage in Michigan and a fast stage in Sweden?

It's not as direct a relationship as that. Complexity takes in a number of factors so it might take a few rolls of the dice to find one that delivers what you want. 

@KickUp Last question of the day from me: you have R5s as the leading class, but which will be quicker "up to 2000cc"  or R5?

@KickUp Last question of the day from me: you have R5s as the leading class, but which will be quicker "up to 2000cc"  or R5?
Don't know yet. Need to give it to @Porkhammer to find out. 

KickUp said:
Don't know yet. Need to give it to @Porkhammer to find out. 
Well, knowing what the "Up to 2000cc" cars really are, they should be superior, despite their older age. But indeed, we should let the resident record holder do some runs :).

KickUp said:
chukonu said:
Will we see footage of a location that isn't Australia before the end of the month? <:
Wait, there is? Anyone can link me?

EDIT: Nevermind, its the crosskarts xD
Personally my only concern is the rally stages.

@chukonu they are buggies not crosskarts, having said that, i would also like to see some footage of the other stages, specially spain

Even just a screenshot would be nice! There's screenshots that show Australia and Michigan, and we already know what Wales and Sweden look like, so all that's left to see is Spain. Can we get one little teaser shot before the month is out?  ;)

I've seen it but can't find it right know. Im pretty sure there was a footage 4-6 seconds of a car in Spain....where the heck it disappeared?

versedi said:
I've seen it but can't find it right know. Im pretty sure there was a footage 4-6 seconds of a car in Spain....where the heck it disappeared?
Dreams mate. Dreams! ;)

KickUp said:
chukonu said:

Its probably going to be a few more weeks before we show anything more. 
Actually thought of flagging as it makes me sad :(

;)

@KickUp Probably this will go under the radar asking this at this time of day, but is it possible for Your Stage to create variations to the flow of the track. Like starting with high speed sections and ending in more technical inside the same track.

I'm waiting Dirt 4 and it's new features so much that other racing games does not seem to be "delivering" joy so much anymore, especially in the career mode front. Anybody else noticing same?
(Maybe ME:Andromeda and outdoor activities will keep me occupied until release. )
There is always grid 1 to play too..

Keep us the good work Codies!
Ps. I'm wondering if there is anybody still working in Codemasters that also worked in making "game" called Music 2000? Thanks to that piece of software and to people who worked on the game, i was able to start my music career as a youngster !