DiRTy Gossip

griev0r said:
I was a little disappointed at first announcement that they are ditching real world stages.  The stages in  DR are by far the best stages in a rally game, ever.  That being said, the effort/time to create them must be insane.  Even if you did get 5-6 new stages as DLC, how long till you memorize every corner like most of us did who played Rally for hundreds of hours?  That's not what rally is about, hotlapping is for circuit racing.  I'm really excited about doing online/league stuff where every person is racing on pure pace notes and balls, not because they have run the stage 500 times.  This tech is really exciting stuff for rally fans!
If I'm not mistaken, the stages they create are real world stages. The stages createdby 'YourStage' are randomly generated stages that consist of tiles from the real world stages. Correct me if I'm wrong.
We haven't cut real world stages up so that Your Stage can paste them together again. Wales and Sweden are based in similar regions to those seen in DiRT Rally but the system is more elaborate than cookie cutting up the stages from DR

CaseF said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
It's worth to note, that the wider FOV is set, the narrower the road appears to the player.
@KickUp
Speaking of FOV, it would be great if this time around, the FOV settings would apply to dashboard view as well, not just to cockpit view, or alternatively if we could enable the dials in cockpit view. I have to run with a very low FOV to get somewhat close to correct and on quite a few cars, it can be a pain to be able to set it up so you can actually see the dashboard. Basically I either have to move the seat quite far to the back to the point where it no longer feels natural (it feels like I'm sitting in the back of the car and my hands are unnaturally long), or I have to use the dashboard view, which means I get the on-screen dials, but lose the custom FOV.
There are limitations to our tech that prevents us from allowing FoV adjustment in cockpit view. I agree it would be cool but we haven't been able to solve it for D4. 

bogani said:
They could have done 10 real stages for each location, after some time most of us still would know each stage by heart. I think this solution is bloody fantastic!

I'm also thinking about the possibilities of adding more locations as DLC. Creating a new enviroment with new tiles must be less time consuming than visiting, documenting and creating a real stage from scratch.
As the tech is brand new we think that it was more expensive. 

That was was because it was the first time we'd ever done it with every problem needing to be worked around. Now we know what is what, the hope is that we can deliver on the potential of the new system. 

@KickUp : When creating leagues, will it be possible to mix and match between saved stages and new stages? It would be quite awesome for us to be able to reuse a core set of stages for each season of the DRC and change it up a bit for each season.

Dytut said:
@KickUp : When creating leagues, will it be possible to mix and match between saved stages and new stages? It would be quite awesome for us to be able to reuse a core set of stages for each season of the DRC and change it up a bit for each season.
I believe so

KickUp said:
CaseF said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
It's worth to note, that the wider FOV is set, the narrower the road appears to the player.
@KickUp
Speaking of FOV, it would be great if this time around, the FOV settings would apply to dashboard view as well, not just to cockpit view, or alternatively if we could enable the dials in cockpit view. I have to run with a very low FOV to get somewhat close to correct and on quite a few cars, it can be a pain to be able to set it up so you can actually see the dashboard. Basically I either have to move the seat quite far to the back to the point where it no longer feels natural (it feels like I'm sitting in the back of the car and my hands are unnaturally long), or I have to use the dashboard view, which means I get the on-screen dials, but lose the custom FOV.
There are limitations to our tech that prevents us from allowing FoV adjustment in cockpit view. I agree it would be cool but we haven't been able to solve it for D4. 
But you already allow FoV adjustments in cockpit view?

That sounds a bit strange to be honest as modders easily made FOV adjustment possible for dashcam in DR? I hope that kind of modding is still possible in D4 as it's necesary to make it look good on triple screen setups.

As of now the two outer screens get stretched and are not aligning properly. I understand that it's not a priority to support tripled but would be really nice :)

Regarding saving your stage stages. Is it possible to name the stages yourself or are they fixed to generated names?
And you are able to save a stage AFTER you driven through it, right? :)

KickUp said:
zoliRX said:
I also think that the swedish stages in DR were narrower than the WRC stages for example, these are quite wide and sweeping. I think the narrowness is part of the reason I don't really race sweden that much, you have to be so dead accurate and it can go wrong so easily and I just get frustrated lol
While we're talking about Sweden, has the ''soft snow' seen any improvements, @KickUp? Far too often I found myself getting ''sucked into'' the snow banks before being catapulted to Mars.

:tongue:
There will be less catapaulting to mars, getting sucked in is still going to happen though as that is part of the nature of the beast.
As long as they don't launch me into outer space, it's all good :lol:

Regarding saving your stage stages. Is it possible to name the stages yourself or are they fixed to generated names?
That's the plan but the name will only be visible by you.

bogani said:
And you are able to save a stage AFTER you driven through it, right? :)

That's the plan, yes

Whilst we wait, Assetto Corsa has just added the Audi Sport quattro S1 E2, and a new fictional, multi-course Scottish circuit. It's quite fun, but they forgot to enable the handbrake in the Audi. DOH!
Yeah, we had this discussion here before, Group B cars couldn't use the handbrake. I was surprised too.
Consider me learned

Put me in my place if need be but why would you not be able to use the handbrake if you press the clutch? 
If I understand correctly, the problem is not the connection from the wheels to the gearbox/engine (if so, clutch would have solved it indeed) but rather the fact that the front and rear wheels are connected. So as soon as you would pull the handbrake all four wheels would stop, as the fronts would be connected to the rears. I think.

I would imagine the handbrake in the DiRT tech has a strength variable, or at least some way to disable it. Would be cool if the B cars have no handbrake at least in the simulator mode.

Areyouben said:
Put me in my place if need be but why would you not be able to use the handbrake if you press the clutch? 
If I understand correctly, the problem is not the connection from the wheels to the gearbox/engine (if so, clutch would have solved it indeed) but rather the fact that the front and rear wheels are connected. So as soon as you would pull the handbrake all four wheels would stop, as the fronts would be connected to the rears. I think.

I would imagine the handbrake in the DiRT tech has a strength variable, or at least some way to disable it. Would be cool if the B cars have no handbrake at least in the simulator mode.
You can unbind the handbrake if you want to roleplay being Michèle Mouton :p

KickUp said:
Areyouben said:

Already preparing for it! :smiley:

Areyouben said:

Ohh right ok, I didn't realise they were all connected back then. Explains the understeer :D

Areyouben said:
KickUp said:
Areyouben said:

Already preparing for it! :smiley:
Lipstick?

KickUp said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
@KickUp, Will D4 be able to save replays to re-play them later ?
No it won't
It's really shame :(
Is it a reason why this feature hasn't been developed? IMO it's one of the most missing features in D:R.
Sharing replays via YT is not always an option. Lets imagine being in process of league championship. Do you really think I would want to disturb myself and risk results by recording footage after each stage, playing with cameras to get the best shot?
I'm not even talking about racing with VR while wanting to record a "monitor" version of footage. Another reason is, that for rallying some might want to maximize fps while for video recording maximizing gfx details should be considered as the goal (for CM too).