DiRTy Gossip

Areyouben said:
KickUp said:
Areyouben said:
Put me in my place if need be but why would you not be able to use the handbrake if you press the clutch? 
If I understand correctly, the problem is not the connection from the wheels to the gearbox/engine (if so, clutch would have solved it indeed) but rather the fact that the front and rear wheels are connected. So as soon as you would pull the handbrake all four wheels would stop, as the fronts would be connected to the rears. I think.

I would imagine the handbrake in the DiRT tech has a strength variable, or at least some way to disable it. Would be cool if the B cars have no handbrake at least in the simulator mode.
You can unbind the handbrake if you want to roleplay being Michèle Mouton :p
Already preparing for it! :smiley:
Nice profile picture :D

In case anyone was wondering, here are some of the RL stages in Michigan:

This one is a bit wider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSrF74noqUI

Fairly narrow parts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYtqFHEewbA

There are some really rough ones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGzaGupA1Bc

These are all from Lake Superior Performance Rally, in Houghton Michigan, its one of the National Events.  

DiRT3 used the rather famous Quincy Mine in the town, there has never been a Rally stage at that site.  Similarly the concrete towers that you race around  in D3, is a former Nike/Apache missile defense system that is spread around the country in the 50's (in case the Soviets flew planes with Nukes into the country, scary times then), again as far as I know there are none of these in the RL stages there.  Of course this made the stages more interesting in D3.  

MaXyMsrpl said:
KickUp said:
MaXyMsrpl said:
@KickUp, Will D4 be able to save replays to re-play them later ?
No it won't
It's really shame :(
Is it a reason why this feature hasn't been developed? Sharing replays via YT is not always an option. Lets imagine being in process of league championship. Do you really think I would want to disturb myself and risk results by recording footage after each stage, playing with cameras to get the best shot?
I'm not even talking about racing with VR while wanting to record a "monitor" version of footage. Another reason is, that for rallying some might want to maximize fps while for video recording maximizing gfx details should be considered as the goal (for CM too).

Making games is an expensive business and part of my role is to make decisions on where we spend our time and resources. Of course we would like to support this and other elements like a Photomode but we made the tough decision to focus on other areas. I totally get why it is a cool feature and why some people would really enjoy using it but it didn't make the cut this time.

Are there any particular car/location that didn't really turn out as good as you hoped for in DR @KickUp?

bogani said:
Are there any particular car/location that didn't really turn out as good as you hoped for in DR @KickUp?
I think I was happy with all the locations although in hindsight I'd have probably made the Welsh stages a bit longer.

Car wise I think we managed to fix the Pikes Peak cars as best as we could in the final update but the Rallycross Tyre was just plain wrong and I'm glad we've managed to fix that for D4 now. 

KickUp said:
bogani said:
I think I was happy with all the locations although in hindsight I'd have probably made the Welsh stages a bit longer.

Car wise I think we managed to fix the Pikes Peak cars as best as we could in the final update but the Rallycross Tyre was just plain wrong and I'm glad we've managed to fix that for D4 now. 
I cannot wait to get my hands on the rallycross Supercars now the handling has been revised...

...and I really, really, can't wait to take a Group B rallycross car for a spin! 

tbtstt said:
KickUp said:
bogani said:

I cannot wait to get my hands on the rallycross Supercars now the handling has been revised...

...and I really, really, can't wait to take a Group B rallycross car for a spin! 
Can't say I was particularly unhappy with the Supercars in DR to be honest, so I'm really curious about the new ones :)

The rallycross physics were very much improved when I tried it back in November, they felt very right. Transitioning from tarmac to dirt was flawless! Can't wait to try it on full release.

human1101 said:
@kickup hey i was wondering if spain is more winding like monte carlo or more square cornered like germany?
Have you never seen a spanish rally event? Square corners are close to non-existant.

human1101 said:
@kickup hey i was wondering if spain is more winding like monte carlo or more square cornered like germany?
Fast flowing tarmac with some junctions and towns. Something like this: https://youtu.be/WFKPXgntpkg

human1101 said:

From the short go I had in Spain, I'd liken it more to Monte Carlo.

human1101 said:
Assuming they're using Catalunya as a base, the stages I've been too are very windy with only a few junctions, usually roads connecting small (ex-mining, I presume) towns in the hills. Much wider than Monte stages but far fewer junctions than the Panzerplatte ones from DR. 

More similar to the more basic German stages in real life; the ones not in Baumholder or the vineyards, if that helps at all?

human1101 said:
The stages I've been too are very windy with only a few junctions, usually roads connecting small (ex-mining, I presume) towns in the hills. Much wider than Monte stages but far fewer junctions than the Panzerplatte ones from DR. 

More similar to the more basic German stages in real life; the ones not in Baumholder or the vineyards, if that helps at all?

I've always prefered the likes of San Remo over the flat and wide public roads they mainly use for Catalunya.

I figured that was going to be the case but seeing as they are not actiual stages it could have been different, im looking forward to it regardless

So there's a handbrake on this quattro?, yes modern video, so i assume this has been added well after the fact that the tech finally came along?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-XmLak_Xik&t=119s

wfwr26 said:
So there's a handbrake on this quattro?, yes modern video, so i assume this has been added well after the fact that the tech finally came along?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-XmLak_Xik&t=119s
Someone tell him.....  lol

The title of the video is wrong, thats a modified road car, definately not Grp B

KevM said:
wfwr26 said:
Someone tell him.....  lol

The title of the video is wrong, thats a modified road car, definately not Grp B
Had no idea man...just remember seeing it a while ago and wondered what was up.

Evilsmurf said:
Basically, you need a switchable centre Diff. These are normally electronically controlled via a sensor on the hand brake and disconnect the drive to the rear wheels once the hand brake is engaged to allow the wheels to lock.
It could also be mechanichal. You have to step on the clutch before puling the handbrake, but it's about the same ;)
Yep, just like anyone that rallies with a subaru from pre 05, my handbrake works fine, no active center diff.

bogani said:
human1101 said:
The stages I've been too are very windy with only a few junctions, usually roads connecting small (ex-mining, I presume) towns in the hills. Much wider than Monte stages but far fewer junctions than the Panzerplatte ones from DR. 

I've always prefered the likes of San Remo over the flat and wide public roads they mainly use for Catalunya.
Yeah, me too, there are a lot of tarmac rallies that I'd choose over Catalunya (Ypres, Valais, Zlin, Mosel, Mont Blanc, Ireland, San Remo), but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth and I'm really excited by the chance to try endless new tarmac stages regardless. Hopefully there'll be a few narrow sections and hairpins thrown in.

wfwr26 said:
Had no idea man...just remember seeing it a while ago and wondered what was up.
The guy's having big fun in the video, wonder if we could get that big slidey car in the game?

EDDSkitz said:
Yep, just like anyone that rallies with a subaru from pre 05, my handbrake works fine, no active center diff.
Yeah, I had a 1997 road car back in the day.  The handbrake seemed to open the centre-diff, no bother with handbrake turns, you could actually hear something mechanical happen when you pulled the magic wand!