DiRTy Gossip

Dytut said:
@KickUp ; If D4 does really well... would you consider releasing a free DLC where we can get you as codriver? :-D
Hah! I might come out of retirement one day.

I see the "wheel shake" effect has returned. Wasn't that in DR also but were removed as people didn't like it? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

bogani said:
I see the "wheel shake" effect has returned. Wasn't that in DR also but were removed as people didn't like it? Correct me if I'm wrong :)
Pretty sure it's for people with controllers. If you have a wheel it disappears in DR.

Is there a hand over hand steering animation for controllers as well? Project cars disables it for controllers which really bugs me. 

https://youtu.be/cUaDfvT2fdI

That guy at the end of the trailer sure is handsome! Looks pretty good at locating all the buttons on a PlayStation controller when needed too!  :D

Bluestig said:
Is there a hand over hand steering animation for controllers as well? Project cars disables it for controllers which really bugs me. 
Yeah I played dirt 4 on a controller and it had hand over hand animations

sqdstr said:
cjl9 said:
KickUp said:
@KickUp, I do believe some rallys will give wavers to allow certain cars to compete without a "legit" plate. Monte Carlo 2016 for instance. Is this true?
I don't know the full specifics but I think some do. 
Not so. I bet you can't find any photos of a car without at least a rear number plate (absent accident damage of course!)
Example Neuville at Tour de Corse 2016:

Rear:

Front:

Insurance for rally cars in France (at least for WRC rallies) is set on the car's number and not on the plates, so they don't have plates for French WRC rallies (Monte Carlo, Corsica and the old Rally de France)

Edit:
Here's a more detailed article about it:
http://en.best-of-rallylive.com/layout/set/print/News/Number-games
Thanks. I'm wrong (again!)  Great article.

Hey, usually i am at home at the F1 section of the codies forums, but i am also playing quite a bit DR and i picked up the VR Version today.

Which the technical aspect was very well done, what really hindered the experience are the somewhat lackluster sideways mechanics. Usually i have nit paid as much attention to it bfore but with the VR you feel the car and you really want to use the sideforce of the cars to go through the gravel.

Therefore is my question to either Paul or you lot:  What was done to improve drift/sideways physics of the game? Because it's really apperant in DR that the cars want to stay straight and stable, instead of going into a smooth drift

Hey, usually i am at home at the F1 section of the codies forums, but i am also playing quite a bit DR and i picked up the VR Version today.

Which the technical aspect was very well done, what really hindered the experience are the somewhat lackluster sideways mechanics. Usually i have nit paid as much attention to it bfore but with the VR you feel the car and you really want to use the sideforce of the cars to go through the gravel.

Therefore is my question to either Paul or you lot:  What was done to improve drift/sideways physics of the game? Because it's really apperant in DR that the cars want to stay straight and stable, instead of going into a smooth drift
The simulation for DiRT Rally was developed over quite a few years and was validated by many different Rally and Rallycross drivers over the course of the Prototype and Early access periods. 
I'll never claim it was perfect, in fact we've done a lot to improve it for DiRT 4 but I can confidently say that the feel of lateral versus longitudinal grip on the many different surfaces on which you drive is one of the most accurate representations of loose surface drivering out there. 

KickUp said:

The simulation for DiRT Rally was developed over quite a few years and was validated by many different Rally and Rallycross drivers over the course of the Prototype and Early access periods. 
I'll never claim it was perfect, in fact we've done a lot to improve it for DiRT 4 but I can confidently say that the feel of lateral versus longitudinal grip on the many different surfaces on which you drive is one of the most accurate representations of loose surface drivering out there. 
fair play , the Handling is really great and i really enjoy playing DR as an alternative game to my usual F1 League racing.  It was just an observation of mine when i compared some footage from the 2001 Subaru  my in game experience. 

Thanks a lot for answering my question and keep up the good work :smiley:

Btw.  after playing in VR i really hope you will to an after release DLC for D4 aswell because even on the Vanilla PS4 the experience was fantastic and the immersion you get while fighting you car through the finnish woods is insane, personally it's the best VR expeirence yet and also very well done in terms of preventing motion sickness

KickUp said:

fair play , the Handling is really great and i really enjoy playing DR as an alternative game to my usual F1 League racing.  It was just an observation of mine when i compared some footage from the 2001 Subaru  my in game experience. 

Btw.  after playing in VR i really hope you will to an after release DLC for D4 aswell because even on the Vanilla PS4 the experience was fantastic and the immersion you get while fighting you car through the finnish woods is insane, personally it's the best VR expeirence yet and also very well done in terms of preventing motion sickness
Thanks for the kind words. Just for my benefit can you tell me where the footage was filmed? Country, stage, driver etc?

KickUp said:

There is strong sideforce at play in DR which gets noticeable if you take jumps at extreme angles and actually makes the car curve. I guess this force is pushing the car towards the road at most times making the car less prone to slide. I guess this was a problem with the aero modeling in DR. Correct me if I'm wrong @KickUp, I'm just speculating.

bogani said:
There is strong sideforce at play in DR which gets noticeable if you take jumps at extreme angles and actually makes the car curve. I guess this force is pushing the car towards the road at most times making the car less prone to slide. I guess this was a problem with the aero modeling in DR. Correct me if I'm wrong @KickUp, I'm just speculating.
That certainly didn't help. 

KickUp said:

Just a bit curious about this. How big of a surprise was it for you guys that you had to make the V2 physics pass? I guess you expected to make small tweaks during EA but this turned out to be a major overhaul.

bogani said:
KickUp said:

Just a bit curious about this. How big of a surprise was it for you guys that you had to make the V2 physics pass? I guess you expected to make small tweaks during EA but this turned out to be a major overhaul.
We knew what we had wasn't perfect and we were a bit compromised with v2 too. We'd have loved to have had more time etc.  

I haven't played DR in a long time, ever since my GPU quit on me, but I do remember one particular corner that was absolutely awful. The first left 4 on Iso Oksjarvi, which descends, would always, no exceptions, make my cars roll over, or at least get on two wheels as if it had a massive splitter on the right side which dug into the ground. Will that kind of sudden lift attack in D4?

Grip is all about opinions, but I still think Wales should be slippier when it's pouring down than it currently is ;)

@KickUp A thought just occurred to me: do you have to pay credits to loan cars in freeplay? (Hope not)
No you don't have to pay credits

KickUp said:
That's a politicians answer - lol. Never mind Meeke & Petter's validation.  You've been in Rally cars too, would you say you personally, are satisfied with the DiRT 4 improvements @KickUp ?

I have just watched the newly released Grp B Quattro on Assetto Corsa there now.  Visually, it's stunning.  It might feel like crap to drive, so that's where D4 needs to really excel.  Feel.  It's never going to 'look' like AC, so it really needs to drive the ass off it. Because AC is 'possibly' a few community mods away from greatness...

https://youtu.be/1YiPCzljNA8

KevM said:
KickUp said:
That's a politicians answer - lol. Never mind Meeke & Petter's validation.  You've been in Rally cars too, would you say you personally, are satisfied with the DiRT 4 improvements @KickUp ?

I have just watched the newly released Grp B Quattro on Assetto Corsa there now.  Visually, it's stunning.  It might feel like crap to drive, so that's where D4 needs to really excel.  Feel.  It's never going to 'look' like AC, so it really needs to drive the ass off it. Because AC is 'possibly' a few community mods away from greatness...

https://youtu.be/1YiPCzljNA8
Satisfied yes but we can always do better/more to improve it. 

KickUp said:
KickUp said:

Thanks for the kind words. Just for my benefit can you tell me where the footage was filmed? Country, stage, driver etc?
I havo no idea how this stage is called but this is the according footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUb1YcYYjuE

My driving is obviously not the best for my first go in VR and with a very limited setup knowledge. As i said i am really enjoying the Handling model, especially on gravel, the little issue for me really was that i wasn't able to drift through the whole corner, instead when i wanted to hold the drift the car ( 2001 Subaru) forced itself  back into a steady drive, which cost me time and forced me to compromise my line.

KickUp said:
Satisfied yes but we can always do better/more to improve it. 
You guys have exponentially raised the bar with Rally gaming.  Look how many studios have tried (and failed) to jump on the bandwagon since D:R EA.

In typical Rally fashion - Keep pushing lads!!  B)