DiRTy Gossip

KickUp said:
KickUp said:
Hey, usually i am at home at the F1 section of the codies forums, but i am also playing quite a bit DR and i picked up the VR Version today.

Which the technical aspect was very well done, what really hindered the experience are the somewhat lackluster sideways mechanics. Usually i have nit paid as much attention to it bfore but with the VR you feel the car and you really want to use the sideforce of the cars to go through the gravel.

Therefore is my question to either Paul or you lot:  What was done to improve drift/sideways physics of the game? Because it's really apperant in DR that the cars want to stay straight and stable, instead of going into a smooth drift
The simulation for DiRT Rally was developed over quite a few years and was validated by many different Rally and Rallycross drivers over the course of the Prototype and Early access periods. 
I'll never claim it was perfect, in fact we've done a lot to improve it for DiRT 4 but I can confidently say that the feel of lateral versus longitudinal grip on the many different surfaces on which you drive is one of the most accurate representations of loose surface drivering out there. 
fair play , the Handling is really great and i really enjoy playing DR as an alternative game to my usual F1 League racing.  It was just an observation of mine when i compared some footage from the 2001 Subaru  my in game experience. 

Thanks a lot for answering my question and keep up the good work :smiley:

Btw.  after playing in VR i really hope you will to an after release DLC for D4 aswell because even on the Vanilla PS4 the experience was fantastic and the immersion you get while fighting you car through the finnish woods is insane, personally it's the best VR expeirence yet and also very well done in terms of preventing motion sickness
Thanks for the kind words. Just for my benefit can you tell me where the footage was filmed? Country, stage, driver etc?
I havo no idea how this stage is called but this is the according footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUb1YcYYjuE

My driving is obviously not the best for my first go in VR and with a very limited setup knowledge. As i said i am really enjoying the Handling model, especially on gravel, the little issue for me really was that i wasn't able to drift through the whole corner, instead when i wanted to hold the drift the car ( 2001 Subaru) forced itself  back into a steady drive, which cost me time and forced me to compromise my line.

Cool. Thanks for uploading.

I actually meant the real world footage you are comparing it to.

KickUp said:
KickUp said:
KickUp said:
Hey, usually i am at home at the F1 section of the codies forums, but i am also playing quite a bit DR and i picked up the VR Version today.

Which the technical aspect was very well done, what really hindered the experience are the somewhat lackluster sideways mechanics. Usually i have nit paid as much attention to it bfore but with the VR you feel the car and you really want to use the sideforce of the cars to go through the gravel.

Therefore is my question to either Paul or you lot:  What was done to improve drift/sideways physics of the game? Because it's really apperant in DR that the cars want to stay straight and stable, instead of going into a smooth drift
The simulation for DiRT Rally was developed over quite a few years and was validated by many different Rally and Rallycross drivers over the course of the Prototype and Early access periods. 
I'll never claim it was perfect, in fact we've done a lot to improve it for DiRT 4 but I can confidently say that the feel of lateral versus longitudinal grip on the many different surfaces on which you drive is one of the most accurate representations of loose surface drivering out there. 
fair play , the Handling is really great and i really enjoy playing DR as an alternative game to my usual F1 League racing.  It was just an observation of mine when i compared some footage from the 2001 Subaru  my in game experience. 

Thanks a lot for answering my question and keep up the good work :smiley:

Btw.  after playing in VR i really hope you will to an after release DLC for D4 aswell because even on the Vanilla PS4 the experience was fantastic and the immersion you get while fighting you car through the finnish woods is insane, personally it's the best VR expeirence yet and also very well done in terms of preventing motion sickness
Thanks for the kind words. Just for my benefit can you tell me where the footage was filmed? Country, stage, driver etc?
I havo no idea how this stage is called but this is the according footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUb1YcYYjuE

My driving is obviously not the best for my first go in VR and with a very limited setup knowledge. As i said i am really enjoying the Handling model, especially on gravel, the little issue for me really was that i wasn't able to drift through the whole corner, instead when i wanted to hold the drift the car ( 2001 Subaru) forced itself  back into a steady drive, which cost me time and forced me to compromise my line.

Cool. Thanks for uploading.

I actually meant the real world footage you are comparing it to.
https://youtu.be/UorDbxfBQLU?t=50

you can see once Tommi got the car into the drift he is able  to keep the drift alive.  Getting into the drift is very well made, as my attempts doing a scandinavian fick really felt good with the in car movement and weight transfer, but when the car was in the drift i was really struggleing to hold it, while Tommi did it :smiley:

KickUp said:
dwkGravey said:
Can you play the co-op mode with a guitar?
I can drive with a guitar. 
But can you ride your bike with no handlebars (no handlebars (no handlebars?)?)?

BadD0g said:
KickUp said:
dwkGravey said:
But can you ride your bike with no handlebars (no handlebars (no handlebars?)?)?
I can split the atoms of a molecule!

https://youtu.be/tZlIk_JHkug

KickUp said:
@KickUp One last question of the day, if you can answer it: what is the average number of liveries/teams per car? Are there cars with only one team like DiRT Rally?
I don't know the average off the top of my head but with the branding suite there are a lot more possibilities. Some teams will be limited to just one livery though. 
@KickUp I've been looking at some of our previous Q&As and I was wondering about this answer you gave me: will it be one team one livery, or can there be multiple teams running the same livery (on those special cases) but with a different door number or something like that?

KickUp said:
@KickUp One last question of the day, if you can answer it: what is the average number of liveries/teams per car? Are there cars with only one team like DiRT Rally?
I don't know the average off the top of my head but with the branding suite there are a lot more possibilities. Some teams will be limited to just one livery though. 
@KickUp I've been looking at some of our previous Q&As and I was wondering about this answer you gave me: will it be one team one livery, or can there be multiple teams running the same livery (on those special cases) but with a different door number or something like that?
We'll have teams that will run multiple different cars. Generally each car will have multiple teams each with their own livery design. 

BadD0g said:
KickUp said:
dwkGravey said:
Can he put a Rowntrees Fruit Pastille in his mouth without chewing it?

BadD0g said:
KickUp said:
dwkGravey said:
I can split the atoms of a molecule!
I can keep a beat with no metronome.

KickUp said:
bogani said:
There is strong sideforce at play in DR which gets noticeable if you take jumps at extreme angles and actually makes the car curve. I guess this force is pushing the car towards the road at most times making the car less prone to slide. I guess this was a problem with the aero modeling in DR. Correct me if I'm wrong @KickUp, I'm just speculating.
That certainly didn't help. 
@KickUp

I tried to provide some examples in an old thread of mine:

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6029/does-the-game-have-too-much-grip/p1

KevM said:

He drives like an old lady, no suprise he can't get the car to slide. Long time I didn't see such poor driving...

versedi said:
KevM said:

He drives like an old lady, no suprise he can't get the car to slide. Long time I didn't see such poor driving...
That video is done with Dirt Rally on V1 physics. So it's kinda irrelevant.

http://www.rtbf.be/sport/moteurs/rallye/detail_les-legend-boucles-de-bastogne-en-direct-video-live-samedi-14h?id=9529146&utm_source=rtbfsport&utm_campaign=social_share&utm_medium=twitter_share

Classic rallying live from the Ardennes for anyone interested.

By the way, if anyone out there doubts Porsche's place in a rally game, this is not the stream for you!

bogani said:
Yeah, and if I remember correctly, I couldn't even drive properly with wheel before FFB update in June 2015. And this video was made before that.

bogani said:
Yeah, and if I remember correctly, I couldn't even drive properly with wheel before FFB update in June 2015. And this video was made before that.
Cars had tons of downforce. Literally tons! No wonder they didn't feel very lively compared to V2 and the paperweight cars in vanilla RBR.

KevM said:
KickUp said:
Satisfied yes but we can always do better/more to improve it. 
You guys have exponentially raised the bar with Rally gaming.  Look how many studios have tried (and failed) to jump on the bandwagon since D:R EA.

In typical Rally fashion - Keep pushing lads!!  B)

I couldn't agree more. There's always room for improvement, but imo, Codies hitted the jackpot with DR ( and F1 2016 ) handling/physics, and they are leading the way, in how it's done. They achieved the right balance between hardcore and casual play, without compromises. D4 will rise the bar even more, i'm sure.

Just look how the other Dev's/Studios are trying to copy Codies handling. Simbin UK openly praised Codies handling, and even said they gonna try to achieve the same, for theirs new GTR 3 game.

The handling is great, but another factor that is contributing for this success, is how Codies started listen and getting the Community much more involved with the games ( EA, calling VIP's to gather feedback, etc ).

balance between hardcore and casual play, without compromises.
The only way to achieve that is to make separate games, or at least separate physics as Codies are going to do with D4. DR was full of compromises.

SamRWD said:
The only way to achieve that is to make separate games, or at least separate physics as Codies are going to do with D4.

D4 only has one physics engine. It will be the same for both modes. The gamer mode will just have all the assists turned on.

Evilsmurf said:
SamRWD said:
The only way to achieve that is to make separate games, or at least separate physics as Codies are going to do with D4.

D4 only has one physics engine. It will be the same for both modes. The gamer mode will just have all the assists turned on.

If when you say assists you just mean stuff like traction control and abs I don't think that's quite right. From my understanding there are actually two different types of assists going on here. Actual driving assists like abs, traction control and the like. The other being handling assists that actually affect the handling model.  The physics model remains the same across both though like you said.

bogani said:
versedi said:
KevM said:

I think 'irrelevant' is quite a strong word in this case.  Lots of points he makes are still very relevant despite the evolution.  

Who wouldnt want beautiful transitioning slides & balancing throttle with opposite lock, in a Rally game?

https://youtu.be/-8mPD3BoCT0

This video explains a bit about it. It basically layers on a lot of assists like additional deceleration when you lift off, reduces the body roll of cars and other things.

This video explains a bit about it. It basically layers on a lot of assists like additional deceleration when you lift off, reduces the body roll of cars and other things.
Wonder if the stage-making robot has a name yet? lol

*Sigh*
I deliberately put off watching that video when it showed up in my recommended list because I didn't want to get any more excited; but alas, here I am, getting unreasonably excited after seeing footage of Australia in the rain. Is it June yet?

BadD0g said:

Is it June yet?
Almost, it's just 2592 hours away.

BadD0g said:

Is it June yet?
Almost, it's just 2592 hours away.

Not sure we could manage to do that in the countdown thread.....