DiRTy Gossip

The real immersion is to pick a car and set it up adequately to the selected location then spend hours of practice till you master the car on that set-up then tweak it again till you would be able to achieve decent times with at least very small gaps. Helicopters are not constituing the immersion principle, they are only decorative to improve the formal content of the game.. Seriously, when you are driving at 150 km/h, will you ever pay attention to yourself to pay attention to the helicopter? 

Maybe we should plead Codies to consider making Micro Helis..

This has probably been asked before, but can we save the stages generated in "Your Stage" and have our own library of stages?

Benniz said:
This has probably been asked before, but can we save the stages generated in "Your Stage" and have our own library of stages?

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/comment/244314#Comment_244314

Evilsmurf said:

You really like helicopters! 

"Body is 11 helicopters too short"

:D

Doesnt every one!? "GET TO THE CHOPPER!!!"

If this was a classic Codemasters game, with crazy hidden bonuses, then you'd be able to fly the helicopter down the stage too!

...although that could be a bit sensitive given what happened to Colin McRae :-(

Julo264 said:
Have he said there will be France coming to the game?
Sadly HE Said " France was a mistake, I think I confused Australia for France, MY BAD! >.<"

http://simracingpaddock.com/codemasters-dirt/dirt-4-first-look/

I really hope D4 have chinese language.Because not every Chinese can understand English.
If you have,many people will buy this game.
Waiting for June 6th.

Darhour said:
Seriously, when you are driving at 150 km/h, will you ever pay attention to yourself to pay attention to the helicopter?
There's a saying in Poland: "devil dwells in the details" ;)

Darhour said:
Seriously, when you are driving at 150 km/h, will you ever pay attention to yourself to pay attention to the helicopter?

Darhour said:
The real immersion is to pick a car and set it up adequately to the selected location then spend hours of practice till you master the car on that set-up then tweak it again till you would be able to achieve decent times with at least very small gaps. Helicopters are not constituing the immersion principle, they are only decorative to improve the formal content of the game.. Seriously, when you are driving at 150 km/h, will you ever pay attention to yourself to pay attention to the helicopter? 

Precisely, the immertion of which you speak will also be apreciable seen from a helicopter and see how you drove during the race ,.
I think it's important to see his race with retreat and the driving that we did. I do not think it's a detail to have a helicopter view.

No gossip but if anyone might be interested, Overlord is available for free on codemasters website.
https://store.codemasters.com/us/product/286559/overlord

ipascal said:

Darhour said:

Darhour said:

Precisely, the immertion
of which you speak will also be apreciable seen from a helicopter and
see how you drove during the race ,.
I think it's important to see his race with retreat and the driving that we did. I do not think it's a detail to have a helicopter view.

Helicopter view for full replays is already confirmed. Thought your desire was mainly to see that chopper while driving? Don't know if that's really important though, especially since the car roster of D4 represents more of a national-level for rally driving and not really WRC. And you don't see helos at most national championships

SkyRex said:

ipascal said:

Darhour said:

Darhour said:

Precisely, the immertion

Helicopter view for full replays is already confirmed. Thought your desire was mainly to see that chopper while driving? Don't know if that's really important though, especially since the car roster of D4 represents more of a national-level for rally driving and not really WRC. And you don't see helos at most national championships

637/5000
It
is really complicated to add them, they put them well in WRC2001 PS2
with the noise of pals and vibration of the helicopter and automatic
zoom of the cameraman on the car, on a console that dates from the year
2000 17 years old, and here I am told that it is a detail, is it going to serve on super powerful console?
But when you play, I love seeing these helicopters and I think it is not that I like it gives more reality to the game.
If you can add them, you have to add them if it's not complicated.
To you developer to add them in the race !!!! :-) before the game comes out in June !!

ipascal said:

SkyRex said:

ipascal said:

Darhour said:

Darhour said:

Precisely, the immertion

637/5000
It

2000 17 years old, and here I am told that it is a detail, is it going to serve on super powerful console?
But when you play, I love seeing these helicopters and I think it is not that I like it gives more reality to the game.
To you developer to add them in the race !!!! :-) before the game comes out in June !!

Just because something is possible on an old console doen't mean it as A easy or B fast to implement into whatever game you think of. Programming isn't like putting groceries in your shopping cart. You don't take Feature A,B,C from far done games and just throw them in some sort of software mixer and the result is those features combined. You have to tell the game specifically what you want every time again (in form of programming), only when the game engine is the same, some stuff can be carried over.  You are right, the hardware is no problem, neither is the doability of helicopters technically. The question is if it's worth the effort of the developers, which equals money and time to develop. That is why you set Priorities when developing new products. More is always possible, but not always reasonable to do.
So it all comes down to what the market wants, in this case the players. If you are in the majority with wanting to see those choppers all the time for real, it would be wise to do the effort. If most players would see that as a nice gimmik but not really important it might be a wasted effort.
I'm all for immerion, especially in a simulation racer, and chances are there are those helos already anyway (since they were visible in DR too), but if they aren't yet, I would like CM focus on developing something more important first for immersion, like VR for example.

SkyRex said:

ipascal said:

SkyRex said:

ipascal said:

Darhour said:

Darhour said:

Precisely, the immertion

637/5000
It

Just because something is possible on an old console doen't mean it as A easy or B fast to implement into whatever game you think of. Programming isn't like putting groceries in your shopping cart. You don't take Feature A,B,C from far done games and just throw them in some sort of software mixer and the result is those features combined. You have to tell the game specifically what you want every time again (in form of programming), only when the game engine is the same, some stuff can be carried over.  You are right, the hardware is no problem, neither is the doability of helicopters technically. The question is if it's worth the effort of the developers, which equals money and time to develop. That is why you set Priorities when developing new products. More is always possible, but not always reasonable to do.
So it all comes down to what the market wants, in this case the players. If you are in the majority with wanting to see those choppers all the time for real, it would be wise to do the effort. If most players would see that as a nice gimmik but not really important it might be a wasted effort.
I'm all for immerion, especially in a simulation racer, and chances are there are those helos already anyway (since they were visible in DR too), but if they aren't yet, I would like CM focus on developing something more important first for immersion, like VR for example.

I
do computer development, I know what is known, there is a cost for each
function, every improvement that we want a developer effort (in form of
programming as you say), which is equivalent Money and time to develop, but I think the games we buy are quite expensive when they go out - about 70 euros. So
we, the public buyer of games, expect in return something of quality
and beauty. The game WRC2001 was not as expensive as the games that are
done now. The games we buy now are almost as expensive as our old consoles of the past.
Indeed
I am in totality agree with you regarding what most people want,
helicopters are not the heart of the game, but what I mean is that with
the power of the consoles now, the Programming, I think it is possible. So to add moving cameras simulating helicopters (with noise, vibration
etc.) by following the car in the course is certainly long but possible
to achieve.
In parallel CM can focus on developing something more important as you say and I agree about immersion as the V.R
So yes, why not add the things I quote  :) smile:

SkyRex said:

ipascal said:

SkyRex said:

ipascal said:

Darhour said:

Darhour said:

Precisely, the immertion

637/5000
It

I absolutely agree with what you said but we also have to consider that DiRT 4 comes from Codemasters, which is the same company that implemented the biggest aerial traffic in the history of racing games in F1 2015 and 2016. So I wouldn't be very surprised to see a formation of helicopters and drones hiding the sun in DiRT 4

ipascal said:

What does KickUp Member of Codemasters Champion and Chief Game Designer & Co Driver think about the noises of pal, vibration and sight of helicopters in the sky?

Woody just needs a beard....

ipascal said:What does KickUp Member of Codemasters Champion and Chief Game Designer & Co Driver think about the noises of pal, vibration and sight of helicopters in the sky?

Joking aside, I think they're doing their utmost to make all of us happy, so please stop asking about helicopters. :D

ipascal said:

What does KickUp Member of Codemasters Champion and Chief Game Designer & Co Driver think about the noises of pal, vibration and sight of helicopters in the sky?

Hero of man. It's actually KickUp Member of Codemasters Champion and Chief Game Designer & Co Driver, hero of men. I interrupted. From the top.

Previously on "Words that Trigger DiRT Fans" - flashbacks.

In today's episode, we discuss: helicopters.

:p

2x plus pages about Helicopters???    Wow, I hope this isn't how I've sounded, asking about American rally all of these years :open_mouth: my apologies if it has.  

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, till you dump gas on it"