DiRTy Gossip

SkyRex said:

SamRWD said:

Areyouben said:

This video shows some rallycross gameplay after the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXeEFOuiCYo

Looks fun, but will probably be pretty limited as far as content goes. Kinda weird having GRC and World RX cars together as well.

That doesn't look bad at all! I am not into RX at all, but I hope they decide to do some Rally stuff too!

I think PC2 has somewhat more realisitc lighting than D4, just can't put my finger on the source. Maybe a mixture of reflections on metal and visible sunlight rays, but the difference isn't that big.
Compared to D4, DiRT has a whole lot better particle effects (dirt) than PC2 though, which is a huge immersion part if you drive offroad.
I'm not really exited for PC2, after how PC1 turned out. Promised features never came and although the physics were plausible, the FFB was utter BS... I never found a setup, that would work with my T300 and give me proper feedback from the front wheels, which made catching a slide a PITA, compared to DR, where I can hold a drift almost naturally, because the wheel properly feeds back how the wheels are turning and moving.

PCars is running UE4 with a full PBR suite. I don't think D4 is, but I could be wrong. I typically don't like UE's "realistic" ultra glossy materials and stock PP effects, but it looks like SMS worked it out. D4 also has the brilliant and wonderful @urgaffel using the FumeFX to get the prettiest dirt around.
I'm also waiting to see how PC2 actually ships, but based on how much they've changed their tone internally I've got a reserved excitement for it. The FFB system actually does make sense once it's visualized, the problem is that NONE of the SMS crew could seem to actually show/explain how it works. There's a community made app that takes Wheelchecker's LUT and gives/allows you to find the values you need.
The FFB is actually pretty decent, but the physics are still a bit lackluster, and sliding isn't great.

The tracks' licenses aren't exclusive, that's why Lohéac and Hell are in both DiRT 4 and PC2.
As for promoters, well, their goal is to make money. That's why they promote the championships.

So i've been playing RBR for the past couple of days and trying out different cars and physics and I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. 

Hmm...you've got to consider that it was ground breaking in the era in which it was released. Nothing before it was close: maybe some of the early Colin McRae games. But they didn't have the same level of immersion.

JZStudios said:

SkyRex said:

SamRWD said:

Areyouben said:

Looks fun, but will probably be pretty limited as far as content goes. Kinda weird having GRC and World RX cars together as well.

That doesn't look bad at all! I am not into RX at all, but I hope they decide to do some Rally stuff too!

I think PC2 has somewhat more realisitc lighting than D4, just can't put my finger on the source. Maybe a mixture of reflections on metal and visible sunlight rays, but the difference isn't that big.
Compared to D4, DiRT has a whole lot better particle effects (dirt) than PC2 though, which is a huge immersion part if you drive offroad.
I'm not really exited for PC2, after how PC1 turned out. Promised features never came and although the physics were plausible, the FFB was utter BS... I never found a setup, that would work with my T300 and give me proper feedback from the front wheels, which made catching a slide a PITA, compared to DR, where I can hold a drift almost naturally, because the wheel properly feeds back how the wheels are turning and moving.

PCars is running UE4 with a full PBR suite. I don't think D4 is, but I could be wrong. I typically don't like UE's "realistic" ultra glossy materials and stock PP effects, but it looks like SMS worked it out. D4 also has the brilliant and wonderful @urgaffel using the FumeFX to get the prettiest dirt around.
I'm also waiting to see how PC2 actually ships, but based on how much they've changed their tone internally I've got a reserved excitement for it. The FFB system actually does make sense once it's visualized, the problem is that NONE of the SMS crew could seem to actually show/explain how it works. There's a community made app that takes Wheelchecker's LUT and gives/allows you to find the values you need.
The FFB is actually pretty decent, but the physics are still a bit lackluster, and sliding isn't great.

Project CARS isn't running Unreal Engine 4, it's running their own MADNESS engine. Directly from their website: "Project CARS runs on Slightly Mad Studios' proprietary MADNESS game engine that was built specifically for next-generation platforms and is scalable to a wide variety of modern PC specifications."

I liked the sideways tyre deformation, though the generated engine sounds grate on me and stand out like a sore thumb :(

So i've been playing RBR for the past couple of days and trying out different cars and physics and I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. 

Hurry up with DiRT4 please!

Are you saying there is anything more realistic physics wise than RBR with NGP in rally sim realm? Have you tried let's say Fiesta WRC with newest NGP?

KickUp said:

Alf72 said:

Both are WIP so, can always improve, but comparing the PCars 2 RX video and the video where SlapTrain drives the Focus RX, i can say that the car/engine sounds of the Focus RX are way, way better. I know it isn't the exact same cars, in both videos, so it isn't a fair comparison but still...
Not only that, Driver animations, while switching gears and using the handbrake, are better too, in D4.
In any way, competition is always good...

The key thing for me is that the World RX drivers loved what they played in Barcelona. Petter and especially Oliver Solberg are definitely our harshest critics and they have said we are as good as it gets. I can't say if they have played PC2 but I'm quietly confident we are where it's at. 

Yeah, Oliver does seem like a harsh critic. He still wasn't completely happy  with the rally portion in the WRX video posted on Facebook, but RX was thumbs up and a massive improvement over DR.

Timur Timerzuanofvsksihsubohs seemed genuinely impressed and looked to have an awesome time as well. Seems like a really fun guy btw :)

@KickUp, I have a vital question to ask, one that will determine if the game is truly good : 
Is the boost gauge for the Lancia 037 working?

Have to say the PC2 RX looks better than I expected. Too much chaos and movement in the cockpit for my liking, but that's optional I guess.

I'd be pretty impressed if it's any where near as good as dirt 4's rallycross. Especially as they've had the help of petter. After getting PC1 free with Xbox live the other month, I wasn't too impressed with the handling

I assume pad users will once again get the short stick too. I bought PC1:LE day one on the PS4 and seriously struggled with the controller settings. It was managable for most of the time once getting it dialed in but I still ended spending way too much time in the menus. Played at tops an hour of it on the XB1. Thank God that it was free. Absolute trash.

The only thing that will make me buy Pcars 2 would it be gamepad friendly & no fuss with controller setting.

zoliRX said:

I'd be pretty impressed if it's any where near as good as dirt 4's rallycross. Especially as they've had the help of petter. After getting PC1 free with Xbox live the other month, I wasn't too impressed with the handling

I assume pad users will once again get the short stick too. I bought PC1:LE day one on the PS4 and seriously struggled with the controller settings. It was managable for most of the time once getting it dialed in but I still ended spending way too much time in the menus. Played at tops an hour of it on the XB1. Thank God that it was free. Absolute trash.

Yep, I've said that on here before. It's just unplayable with a controller. It's better with a wheel now that I've got one, but I'm still not a big fan of it.

Areyouben said:

Yeah, I thought that as well. Given that DiRT has the World Championship roster I'm surprised that Project Cars didn't opt for the full GRC line up instead. 

It's nice to rallycross appearing in more games - and it looks like there is a good mix of tracks in that trailer -  but I'm far more enthused for the official content in DiRT 4 than I am the mixed line up in Project Cars. 

Love it how comments about PC2 was open towards competition and constructive criticism.
Everywhere else, when another racer/game pops up it's all full of hate for the sake of hate.
"That other game is garbage", "Forza is the best racer in the universe", "Looks like a ps2 game. DriveClub is better" etc. etc.

I'm personally hyped for D4, it's bringing back a proper career, something that I would like to find in Forza games, a potentially massive gameplay and content innovation in the form of Your Stage, and simply put, Colin Mcrae/Dirt  games are one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had playing racing games. 

Kinda annoyed that people are panning it because of the graphics on youtube, but I hope this game succeeds and CM can make Dirt 5 even bigger.

I'm surprised that Dirtfish appears in Project CARS 2, I'd have thought Codemasters might have sought an exclusive deal, given that the place sounds related to their game series!

I'm surprised that Dirtfish appears in Project CARS 2, I'd have thought Codemasters might have sought an exclusive deal, given that the place sounds related to their game series!

If CM ever pursue exclusivity of a car or location, that would be pretty damn disappointing frankly.

If anything Dirtfish in project cars 2 is a good example on why codemasters is better off without the WRC license. because of the license with world RX the codies cant make dirtfish a rallycross track even though it had been a rallycross track before. But since project cars don't have the license they can use it. The same goed for the Honda and the other non world RX tracks in that game

What input did Petter and Chris have on the RWD cars in D4? What they wanted to improve from DR? @KickUp

bogani said:

What input did Petter and Chris have on the RWD cars in D4? What they wanted to improve from DR? @KickUp

A lot of it was based on the feel but it wasn't their main focus

Will there come a time when we have the option to drive an extra lap and stop in the pits with the crew holding duct tape at the end of a Rallycross race? Or is that already going to be in along with the manual stopping at the end of the Rally stage?

ark13700 said:

Love it how comments about PC2 was open towards competition and constructive criticism.
Everywhere else, when another racer/game pops up it's all full of hate for the sake of hate.
"That other game is garbage", "Forza is the best racer in the universe", "Looks like a ps2 game. DriveClub is better" etc. etc.

I'm personally hyped for D4, it's bringing back a proper career, something that I would like to find in Forza games, a potentially massive gameplay and content innovation in the form of Your Stage, and simply put, Colin Mcrae/Dirt  games are one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had playing racing games. 

Kinda annoyed that people are panning it because of the graphics on youtube, but I hope this game succeeds and CM can make Dirt 5 even bigger.

The problem with Pcars is the control for both gamepad & steering wheel.

You play with the open wheeler & you have that huge deadzone while playing with the steering wheel.
You basically play the game just to fuss with the control. The physic is acceptable but the track accuracy is bad. They just need to fix those 2 things & it will be successful.

Trash the insane amount of setting & make it more "plug & play" & have accurate track layout.

MrDeap said:

The only thing that will make me buy Pcars 2 would it be gamepad friendly & no fuss with controller setting.

Hah, that is the main reason why I don't buy pCARS. I've spent hours and hours trying it out on a friends account and more recently on that free version and I still can't get it to work as it should. It's just either too numb or too twitchy. The only way to play that game is with a steering wheel IMO and even then it can be quite a pain in the rear pipe.

IMO PCars 1 made a schoolboy error in not getting the console controls right at the start. By the time they improved them quite a few people had already bailed if what's on the net is to be believed and some of those will never come back IMO. After they made adjustments the controls are still a bit twitchy IMO, but manageable. For me Dirt Rally got the controls on the pad just right. There's enough in them to feel a complex driving model and to learn progressively over time, but not so much that it feels impossible to control.

My guess is most driving game hardcore (including the people who post on here) will buy both titles. I certainly will as I have put a huge amount of time in on both. The battle for sales will be fought over the more casual gamers. And my guess is Dirt 4 with its extra game mode options coupled with the Dirt 3 history will do better here. It also has the significant advantage of releasing before Pcars and maybe quite some time before Pcars as well. Is it a coincidence that some of the first Pcars 2 content being shown is rx content ? Maybe not :)

For me it wasn't just the physics that were weird (and imo got worse and worse as the game got closer to launch compared to early on in development) or the controls and FFB being overly complicated to configure right. For me what was a big big problem is the way some of the staff have behaved over time. No need to get into it really, as I'm sure everyone is familiar with the weird banning during early access and blunt rudeness on there.

And after watching the presentation on pCars 2 last week it just felt weird again. They are presenting stuff, talking about all this great tech. But when I listen to the guy talk it sounds like they are in school doing some assignment they have no affinity with instead of talking about a product they truly love making.

Agree with those commenting on the controller settings with PCARS. I think that was a result of pressure from their 'investors', the majority of whom were sim racers with no interest. When they later decided to expand those plans, they were never able to catch up with pad settings.

Was understandable to a degree, but I have no doubt they will have spent a lot more time addressing this weakness for the sequel.